Forum › Hakumei & Mikochi discussion

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I love that manga

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I'm mostly struck by what seems to be a massive tone shift.

Up until now, the series' only portrayal of combat was a bunch of townspeople throwing food at each other. Suddenly, we get hints that Hakumei is an ex-paramilitary demolitions expert, see members of her old company packing actual swords and rifles, and learn her old boss built that company by "converting" a band of thieves that tried to immolate her.

Well, we did get very close to life-threatening combat in this scene from much earlier in the series. I feel like Hakumei's behavior in it will be given some very interesting context with the upcoming chapters. It's probably more than coincidence that that earlier encounter is followed by Hakumei's introductory mention of Emerald's caravan...

last edited at May 15, 2017 1:55PM

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

It's not a fairy tale if nobody gets killed or at least put in mortal danger.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Ol' Emerald Tail Onee-san

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Hakumei's reputation : the girl that screw up. XD

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

"Hold my beer, I got this."

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

So, actual true story or mom getting revenge for her kids ? XD

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

what a creative twist on halloween. the adults get to dress up and make fools of themselves instead of the kiddies

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Every old celebration is based on old blood.

joined Jun 26, 2014

Every old celebration is based on old blood.

Hey, at least they took a benevolent take on it?

joined Apr 6, 2013

Anime by Lerche confirmed
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-08-06/hakumei-to-mikochi-manga-about-forest-dwarf-girls-gets-tv-anime/.119808

Anime is saved. I jest but yeah I could not be happier to hear this. Heck all I need now is a Virgins Empire anime and everything I read on DS will have an anime.

YeShallBeAsGods
Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

I'm mostly struck by what seems to be a massive tone shift.

Up until now, the series' only portrayal of combat was a bunch of townspeople throwing food at each other. Suddenly, we get hints that Hakumei is an ex-paramilitary demolitions expert, see members of her old company packing actual swords and rifles, and learn her old boss built that company by "converting" a band of thieves that tried to immolate her.

Well, we did get very close to life-threatening combat in this scene from much earlier in the series. I feel like Hakumei's behavior in it will be given some very interesting context with the upcoming chapters. It's probably more than coincidence that that earlier encounter is followed by Hakumei's introductory mention of Emerald's caravan...

Are we reading the same manga? This all fits with her background as a traveler. The tone seems the same as ever, if not lighter without the threat of drowning inside an undead fish.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

That's mostly me reading way too hard into things.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Yessss. Next goal: get some official English-language releases of the manga, and some life-size Nendoroid figures.

Looks like some good companies are involved in the anime adapation. Kusanagi makes some wonderful backgrounds, and though I haven't seen much by Lerche, what I have seen was really good. It probably won't be Ghibli-level beautiful, but it has the potential to be darn close.

last edited at Aug 11, 2017 1:33AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Daaaw, the wives shared a bed, nice. :3

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I like how cool everyone are being about reanimating the dead.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I like how cool everyone are being about reanimating the dead.

It's about the most light-hearted necromancy I've ever seen. Like, most stories with necromancy . . . even if they're comedy, there's a dark undertone. This, it's just "Oh, so your research involves reanimating the dead? Cool! I do herbs."

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeah, it's a pretty refreshing take on it. You rarely see "cozy slice of life" and "reanimating skeletons to do ones bidding" together.

You'd think people would have issues with her ordering around the remains of mice and monkeys in a world where mice and monkeys are people, though. And it also seems that the skeletons still have feelings and thoughts, at least according to Sen.

And on the topic of this being disappointing if you expect an yuri series, that's kind of your own fault, to be honest. I too was kinda looking for subtext at first, solely because it's a manga posted on this site, but Hakumei and Mikochi just seem like good friends, and that's okay. People can just be friends with each other without it being anything romantic. I do like that other characters wonder if they're an item or not, though (like that adorable beetle living upstairs). But I wouldn't call this series lesbian bait, or let that bring down its score.

Laika's feelings for Conju are 100% romantic though, and it's adorable. Not sure if Conju will return them or is even aware of them (she's not the most observant), but one can always hope.

Oh, and the beautician is the best character, I'd let her give me a mohawk if she wanted.

last edited at Aug 18, 2017 12:18AM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Feels weird when a little bug is one of the cutest characters in a comic full of super cute characters.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Feels weird when a little bug is one of the cutest characters in a comic full of super cute characters.

I think it's the little bow on her antenna that really does it for me, I literally squealed with delight when I first saw it. So glad Koharu is back, and this chapter did an excellent job of showing off the personality of a character that can't really emote, and make me care for her. She's just a young girl with enormous dreams who is learning that what we want isn't always what we need, and that's very relatable and endearing.
I felt an actually chill down my spine when they found her upside down, and the scene where she can't let go of the chair was both adorable and a little heartbreaking. This manga is incredibly good at making characters likable.

last edited at Aug 18, 2017 6:42PM

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

oh koharu they can definitely teach you abt romance ;-)

also, that cover page is cute as FUCK. mikochi's hair and pose are absolutely adorable

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Aww, little fox guy has a mousewife. That's pretty cute.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

ngl, I thought the title was referring to the two of them. How disappointing, even though the story was still good.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

PROMO CLIP for the anime!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-20/hakumei-to-mikochi-anime-reveals-1st-promo-video-staff-cast/.122984
They really picked the right people for the background art. It's gorgeous~

To reply you must either login or sign up.