Forum › Anime season

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

still hoping that this garbage getting animated open ways for actual good yuri, or at least decent ones.

Japan probably went to find the most popular Yuri manga and adapt that for a cash grab instead of adapting a Yuri masterpiece like Octave.

Octave is probably too old... Don't know which magazine it ran on (is it a dead one?).

The Parasyte manga ran from 1988 – 1995, Yet the anime was adapted in 2014. So there is still hope!

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

The Parasyte manga ran from 1988 – 1995, Yet the anime was adapted in 2014. So there is still hope!

Except Parasyte is a critically acclaimed seinen action that at least can attract an audience and sell something while Octave is a virtually unknown yuri manga. Unless the yuri genre actually becomes mainstream, it's not gonna get that same treatment easily :/

ZuljinRaynor
Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I think it's too late for a lot of the Yuri classics. :(

joined Jan 8, 2016

Sucks to be you, I for one love Citrus.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

still hoping that this garbage getting animated open ways for actual good yuri, or at least decent ones.

It has to be a giant succes for that. One that no one is expecting. Say, something on KemoFure level. Fact is, not even Yuri Hime is expecting Citrus to sell. The only reason these animes will exist is to make the magazine sell.
That's why I think they're kinda dumb to make two drama animes. They should adapt something more lighthearted with it. It makes no sense, because if someone buy the magazine because of one of them, the other one won't help further.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Except Parasyte is a critically acclaimed seinen action that at least can attract an audience and sell something while Octave is a virtually unknown yuri manga. Unless the yuri genre actually becomes mainstream, it's not gonna get that same treatment easily :/

Well, even some very old manga like Toward the Terra (1977) eventually got their anime adaptation (2007) so I wouldn't say there is litteraly no hope. But I concede there isn't much, sadly.

We'll have to bear with what we have animated : some really shitty yuris. But if this can help expanding the genre then it's something we should be happy about, because it could lead in the long run to the adaptations of some really great yuri. (Hanjuku Joshi, Gokujou Drops, Octave, Girl Friends...).

... I'm not giving up ! One day, the yuri will rise.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Yuri masterpiece like Octave.
Octave.

LOL, I doubt these two correlate in the slightest.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Yuri masterpiece like Octave.
Octave.

LOL, I doubt these two correlate in the slightest.

Ouch.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Honestly I'd love for them to continue Sasameki Koto but it's never going to happen... the first season was so loyal to the manga.

starsaber123
Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

I think Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana were made too soon. I bet they would have a better audience today.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

I think Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana were made too soon. I bet they would have a better audience today.

I doubt it, the industry is filled with shitty fanservice and that's what the audience apparently wants so that's why it continues to be filled with shitty fanservice.

And just imagine the animation it would've had nowadays, god forbid. Anime just sucks these days, I hate it.

last edited at May 2, 2017 4:00PM

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Aoi Hana had impressively decent animation and art, especially for both its time and studio. I really wish I wasn't so skeptical with CGI, visually it just makes me feel impaired (even more than I already naturally am on the mental department) and I, while well-aware this is likely going to be the future of anime, cannot swallow mechanical motions that look worse than how my Sims 1 convulsed frantically upon finding out their kitchen was on fire. It's ugly, I don't like it.

I'm still astounded at how Flip Flappers did not rely on CGI a single time other than for the last episode or so for a background leaf falling, for example. But, assuming the studio put a lot of economical weight on the animation (since they definitely put effort on the human part of the process), just to see the anime flop horribly, just somehow makes you think "it can't be helped". Love Live! could have an entire anime season or movie consisting on those shitty "HIGH QUALITY" CGI and it would still sell like hotcakes, with minimal effort, SO WHY ANIMATE ANYMORE. Fuck.

It's 5:53 AM everything is funny or super interesting to me now

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

Yeah, its way too late baring the most miracle of miracles for most of the mid-00s yuri classics. Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto's adaptations killed any chance of them being adapted back in 2009.

Yuri is in the public eye right now, and I do think we'll see some adaptations probably soon of Bloom Into You/Kiss & White Lily/Kase-san even if Citrus/NTR shit the bed(which they will, but not that bad I suspect). Otherwise, the only other yuri I could see getting adapted at the moment(which involves having enough content to adapt as well) is Murcielago--which I'd be all for if they aired it on ATX or something. This is discounting any of the myriad other yuri manga that no one really knows about in the west due to the language barrier, of course.

I do think that the non-romance yuri has much more of a chance though. Pretty much every action anime has some lesbian side-character of course, but there's a fairly healthy subgenre of 'incidental' yuri--last year alone we had Izetta, Flip Flappers, and Pandora in the Crimson Shelll, last season we had Urara Meirochou and Maid Dragon. All of these shows actually had a fairly core yuri relationship(to varying 'hardness' of course). The only thing holding it back as of now is the defiance to brazenly confirm the relationship--of the five I listed only Pandora verged on explicit, although the metaphor behind Flip Flappers also makes it very clear the show is primarily apart Cocona coming to terms with her sexual identity. Then again, we can see even with Yuri on Ice that they play fast and loose with the canonicity even as it gets more and more absurd("friendship rings" anyone) so this isn't something holding back just F/F stuff.

I think if a mainstream big-name show actually doubled down and unabashed 100% doubled down on even just one main ship, the 'its just subtext' thing would start to break. That's the biggest hope for Symphogear AXZ(or S5), HibiMiku is arguably above Nanoha-levels of canon, and I think Symphogear has just enough edge and creator oversight compared to most of the other highest-tier shows that it could happen.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Maid Dragon is gay as hell and story, especially in anime, is clearly about Tooru and Kobayashi relationship and how Kobayashi isn't used to someone being interested in her and having to sort her feelings. Also Saikawa is totally in love with Kanna.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Wow, ok. Now there's a statement about that show if I ever heard one.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Mizusi posted:

What's the point if those aren't the selling points of the show?

But they are? Only reason to watch is for comedy and how gay characters are. And even if, so unless show is focused on yuri it can't have yuri elements? If show isn't market as a yuri show or something, there is no point watching it even if it ultra gay? With that mentality they shouldn't add any yuri in any show if it isn't focused on yuri, because nobody will watch it for yuri anyway.

It's not taken seriously, it's always as a joke no matter how lewd/obvious/frequent the running gag lasts for.

But it is taken seriously. Especially in anime they made it much more serious and actual important point of the show.

Kobayashi isn't in love with Tohru, it is and has always been unrequited, she has a maid fetish and that's it.

Yes, but that is not the point. The point is that Tooru loves Kobayashi, but Kobayashi is not used to be wanted so she can't handle it properly. Nobody said they won't eventually end up together. It isn't played as if Kobayashi doesn't care about Tooru at all and there is no chance she would be ever interested. It is called character development and subtlety.

People like you really annoy me sometimes. Until it wont be explicitly stated you wont consider it as anything else than subtext. Tooru tells Kobayashi non stop that she loves her and wants to have sex with her? Nah, just a joke. Can't be serious and Kobayashi just isn't ready to reciprocated. Saikawa is clearly in love with Kanna? Nah, just a joke. Can't be serious.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

It's not like they act like a family unit or do family things throughout the show; it's not explicitly stated to be one after all. That kind of portrayal is definitely pointless too; I mean, why settle for this implicit nonsense if you can watch a multitude of other anime with the same kind of dynamic featuring characters of the same-sex?

Let me get my crickets for that truly explicit™ silence effect.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Uh, I was being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you there buddy.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

LumberingCrane posted:

Uh, I was being sarcastic. I was agreeing with you there buddy.

Sorry, my bad.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I mean, I thought the whole crickets sound effect thing in reply to the multitude of same-sex parents in anime was a telltale sign but I guess not? Sorry, I really should stop with the whole sarcasm thing when people are riled up.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

LumberingCrane posted:

I mean, I thought the whole crickets sound effect thing in reply to the multitude of same-sex parents in anime was a telltale sign but I guess not? Sorry, I really should stop with the whole sarcasm thing when people are riled up.

Nah I just didn't get it, so it is on me.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I should have left my post with entitled brats comment.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I should have left my post with entitled brats comment.

Should've copied it too. It seemed pretty useful for times like this.

That being said, Mizusi's got some serious passion for something so negative. It's like the underbelly of tumblr or the norm of 4chan.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kobayashi adopts Kanna and acts as her mother figure. She works, Tooru takes care of house and both help Kanna. Kanna even asked Kobayashi to attend her school festival and in order to make it Kobayashi had to rush her work and then she and Tooru were both cheering on her. If that is not a family thing to do, then I don't know what is. And once Kobayashi realized the house is too small, they move to bigger one, like the freaking family do. Find me other anime that shows such portray of same-sex family. Saikawa's love is portrayed in a joking matter, but that doesn't invalid her feelings or make it less true (same for Tooru) and you need to remember Kanna is a dragon who had bad experiences with humans. Also I didn't ignore Tooru being the only one in love with Kobayashi, but you ignored what I said about it instead. There is entire scene where Kobayashi has a serious talk with Tooru, that she can't handle her coming on her and that she is not used to be wanted, but I guess because she didn't say crying "I want to love you, but you need to give me time" or something like that, that doesn't count. I feel like you don't really want yuri. You people dismiss anything on the flimsiest of reasons and complain how it isn't exactly the way you want. You act like entitled brats who won't accept anything that isn't made 100% to cater to your taste. Seriously no wonder yuri is a niche genre and nobody try to actively make it, because you people can't be satisfied.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Mizusi

Alright, How about you give us an example of Yuri that you like since your so pessimistic about Kobayashi and you seem to have a dislike towards Octave. What do you consider to be a good Yuri series?

To reply you must either login or sign up.