Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

gwennie-chan posted:

omnscient0
Admin
posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I thought I'd worked the quote tag issues in the Thingifier out long ago. Guess I'll have to make a note for the next version for when I finally stop procrastinating on it. (A ground-up rewrite using all the stuff I've learned since I first wrote the script is going to be a fairly large time sink, especially with some of the planned improvements and changes, lol.)

As a scanlation group editor (for multiple groups), I can tell you that the optimization for images varies wildly from group to group. Programs used and their implementations vary and the groups usage of those programs and implementations also varies, causing complexity.

Yeah, agreed on this. It seems to wildly vary depending on the technical skills of the person packaging the release or, if they don't deal with that part of the final release, the cleaner or typesetter. And a lot of people aren't terribly aware of some of the image profiles that can be used to save space while not affecting visual quality.

Anyway, back to optimization for the images. It's also important to note that the older the images are, the more likely they are to be unoptimized, just due to the nature of technology and programming. So maybe selectively do newer stuff, but overhaul the older assets we have?

It's also more likely to be an issue with images from the images section or with full color covers as well.

You're right about the resolution. Some people use 1024 x 768 screens while others view the website on their 4K monitors and TVs. There should probably be a set standard for website resolution and then if people want the gigantic ones, just link them to the releasers zips and stuff?

Setting a standard for the website version probably wouldn't be a bad idea, though trying to force it would probably not go over terribly well unless the people that deal with uploads also deal with that part themselves/it's automated on the server. (Though that latter option would include increased load for the server.) Few pc users have anything over a 1440px tall view and even then it shouldn't be an enormous issue just to scale it up using CSS or something. The majority of those few users with such a high resolution monitor would likely not really notice it. Anything over 1200px is probably unnecessary for the web view with the exception of ones with really long pages such as Their Story.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

Is there really much size to be saved by losslessly optimizing current images? They should already be optimized pretty well when they are released by the scanlation group. There are probably a few outliers that weren't exported properly, but not sure if it is worth re-processing the entire collection for those outliers.

Just to see, I compressed http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch24 using "FileOptimizer" to get a quick idea of how much space could be saved. Turned out that it compressed to about half the original size. My guess is, unless someone's around to tell you about optimization, you don't know about it, and there are a lot of amateur editors who are uploading to Dynasty (myself included).

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Shynaku posted:

Is there really much size to be saved by losslessly optimizing current images? They should already be optimized pretty well when they are released by the scanlation group. There are probably a few outliers that weren't exported properly, but not sure if it is worth re-processing the entire collection for those outliers.

Just to see, I compressed http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch24 using "FileOptimizer" to get a quick idea of how much space could be saved. Turned out that it compressed to about half the original size. My guess is, unless someone's around to tell you about optimization, you don't know about it, and there are a lot of amateur editors who are uploading to Dynasty (myself included).

Hey Shynaku, you should start using PNG Gauntlet or jpegcrop to optimize your images prior to release. I could easily teach you how to do it.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I've been using PNG Gauntlet on my releases. It usually reduces the size of the png's by about 10%. Some pages get compressed further, if there's not much art on the page. The jpeg's are straight from Photoshop and not further optimized; though it looks like if I knew what I was doing, I might be able to make Photoshop optimize them better.

last edited at Apr 6, 2017 12:35PM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I have setup HTTPS and am now forcing all traffic to use it. Let me know if you encounter any issues with it.

I am going to do some tests about optimizing some images, and see what expected gain is. If its really up to 50% then for sure will, but if its only 5%-10% on average it might not be worth it.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

The new SSL configuration doesn't let me use the Android app (Oneesama) from my 4.4 Android device anymore, there may be an issue with certificate chains (android is very fiddly about that) or having only the newest TLS which it doesn't support.

Chrome on Android works fine regardless of the device because it re-implements all of the networking stuff.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

The new SSL configuration doesn't let me use the Android app (Oneesama) from my 4.4 Android device anymore, there may be an issue with certificate chains (android is very fiddly about that) or having only the newest TLS which it doesn't support.

I made some changes to the SSL settings, does it work now?

joined May 7, 2014

Admin, can you answer my question please?
I live in Indonesian and since yesterday, I can't open Dynasty in my Uc browser.

Just can open dynasty in Opera browser but in Opera can't download file manga.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Ajengkid, that's because of the new SSL settings too, same issues I'm having.

Omnscient0, different errors now. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dynasty-scans.com says that only TLS 1.2 is enabled, a lot of the 4.* family of Android (and some later Samsung and other weird devices, they may have 1.2 there but disabled in firmware) only support TLS 1.0, also some of the ciphers may be unsupported... I may be able to do something about it in the app, but it still causes trouble with UC browser at least (downloaded it just to check)

These are a pain to debug, I know it first-hand, spent a while to configure our work server to be compatible with every Android.

last edited at Apr 9, 2017 4:51AM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Omnscient0, different errors now. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dynasty-scans.com says that only TLS 1.2 is enabled, a lot of the 4.* family of Android (and some later Samsung and other weird devices, they may have 1.2 there but disabled in firmware) only support TLS 1.0, also some of the ciphers may be unsupported... I may be able to do something about it in the app, but it still causes trouble with UC browser at least (downloaded it just to check)

I adjusted the config to support TLS 1.0 and 1.1, and changed the cipher list as well. Still experiencing issues?

last edited at Apr 9, 2017 11:10AM

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

It's working for me now, thank you!

joined May 7, 2014

Thank you, already work for Uc browser :)

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Feature proposal: Clicking on the Discussion link while viewing a chapter takes you to the most chronologically relevant point in the discussion thread.

e.g. When reading a chapter published on April 24th, 2016, clicking the discussion link takes you to the post in the series' discussion thread closest in time to April 24th, 2016.

Alternatively, create a separate link in the reader for this function.

I have no idea how feasible implementation of this would be or if it would even be of use to anyone beside myself.

last edited at Apr 10, 2017 2:46PM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Feature proposal: Clicking on the Discussion link while viewing a chapter takes you to the most chronologically relevant point in the discussion thread.

e.g. When reading a chapter published on April 24th, 2016, clicking the discussion link takes you to the post in the series' discussion thread closest in time to April 24th, 2016.

Alternatively, create a separate link in the reader for this function.

I have no idea how feasible implementation of this would be or if it would even be of use to anyone beside myself.

That function already exists as part of Alice Cheshire's "Thingifier" for the site. All that's needed is for omn to implement it.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

gwennie-chan posted:

That function already exists as part of Alice Cheshire's "Thingifier" for the site. All that's needed is for omn to implement it.

It'd actually be pretty simple to implement the way I have it too. All my script does is take the discussion link, add "/unread" to the end like the forums themselves do for threads with unread posts, then insert it as a new link just after the discussion link.

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011

I believe chapters 104 and 105 of Yuru Yuri belong to volume 14 and not 13.

Source: https://almostbakkin.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/yryr-104-105/

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Been wondering if a "Rough sex" tag might be useful/good for a while now. Not sure though.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

It'd actually be pretty simple to implement the way I have it too. All my script does is take the discussion link, add "/unread" to the end like the forums themselves do for threads with unread posts, then insert it as a new link just after the discussion link.

I did consider having the discussion link go to unread by default, tbh I forget why I didn't set it like that in the end.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

omnscient0 posted:

I did consider having the discussion link go to unread by default, tbh I forget why I didn't set it like that in the end.

It seems like it'd be more useful to default (or make a second link for unread posts like in the Thingifier, though that messes with the layout a bit since the container for links isn't actually wide enough for the extra link) to it since in unread threads it'd just take you to the first post anyways.

joined Jan 8, 2014

ok so I just now tried subscribing to the "comic" tag...im hoping it'll work but if it doesn't...

with the latest trend of internet mangaka's would it be possible to change it so we can subscribe to images/authors in that section??
im down for the art in the images section but with limited internet I haven't been looking as much, but there are tons of comic shorts now and I'd like to subscribe to them... I dunno how complicated that would get for the site but let me know what y'all think about the idea...

YeShallBeAsGods
Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

Can I put small things here? Can the page for Warrior Prune's work and Kashiki Takuto be combined as they're the same person?

http://musyaprune.web.fc2.com/ is their blog. I can't actually read it though. Seems legit.

*Edit: Thank you!!

last edited at May 8, 2017 12:13PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

Hello, I don't know if it already exists or if it's possible to do but It would be nice to have an option to filter the doujins and pairings. I don't have the slightiest interest for those and it's quite tedious when I'm searching in the directory.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Breizh posted:

Hello, I don't know if it already exists or if it's possible to do but It would be nice to have an option to filter the doujins and pairings. I don't have the slightiest interest for those and it's quite tedious when I'm searching in the directory.

When you search there is a "advanced" option, you can include and exclude tags there.

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011

I found a couple of chapters that don't have their chapter titles listed even though one is given in the manga:

Also, Nanoha ViVid is originally written with an uppercase "V" in the middle of the word.

EDIT: Wow, that was fast! A few minutes after posting the above, they were fixed.

last edited at May 18, 2017 3:49PM

Cqvp4odwuaebbtp
joined May 3, 2017

I know it's a small thing, but can someone please remove the other "Also known as Tome" in here?
https://dynasty-scans.com/authors/nip_to_chip

EDIT: Thanks for editing! I'm satisfied now.

last edited at May 26, 2017 12:03AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.