Forum › Forum Post Formatting - Basic Markdown Tutorial

joined Jan 30, 2013

So why was your post necessary? The OP did all that already.

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 9:44PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

This is mostly for my own usage. But if it happens to be useful to others, then so much the better.

It's just a personal preference, but I prefer seeing an example of the exact code rather than a description of how to do it. I feel that an example usually says it all. Kind of like "an example is worth a thousand words."

For instance, I know that this part confused me a bit the first time I attempted to put an image in a post:

This is a hyperlink. You need to surround link text in [], and link target in ().
[...]
Image is similar, but you need to start with ! And text doesn't really matter.

I prefer simply seeing an example:
![](http://s4.postimg.org/g5k6wbrfx/brand_0eda80fc2ae3436877f681344de65a9c.png)

Also, the original post was missing a few, like strikethrough, as well as little details, such as what needs a blank line above, so on. Again, this was mainly for myself, but who knows, maybe it'll also help someone else out there.

last edited at Jun 25, 2015 10:03PM

joined Jan 30, 2013

I think it would've been better to ask the OP or even Nez to edit it. It's unlikely people will scroll past the first post and I feel like yours detracts from their work a bit.

joined Jan 31, 2015

aletto:

I think it would've been better to ask the OP or even Nez to edit it. It's unlikely people will scroll past the first post [...]

True, I totally agree that most people will only look at the first post of the sticky. But as I said, it was mostly for my own purposes.

Also, I'm not presumptuous enough to ask/tell the OP or Nezchan to update the original post with my "way better" version or something.

They can do so if they wish or if they deem it appropriate, but that's up to them.

aletto:

[...] and I feel like yours detracts from their work a bit.

I don't really see how it can "detract" from their work... In the end, it's just a reply in the thread, just like any other...

joined Jan 30, 2013

What I'm trying to say is, if you had suggestions to make it better, you should've posted them. I don't see how that'd be presumptuous. This thread is meant to help people and it isn't exactly intellectual property. Posting a rewritten version of the original post gives off the impression, at least to me, that said original post wasn't satisfactory for whatever reason.
I apologise if you feel offended.
Oh and if you have an issue with me abbreviating Nezchan as Nez: She even does it herself.

joined Jan 31, 2015

Oh, don't mind how I bolded Nezchan's username. I always bold usernames in sentences, because some usernames are not capitalized and/or are just normal words, like "winter" or "none", and blend into the sentences.

Also, it would seem that this habit is not exclusively mine. I've seen a few others here do that, probably for the same reasons.

aletto:

What I'm trying to say is, if you had suggestions to make it better, you should've posted them. I don't see how that'd be presumptuous. This thread is meant to help people and it isn't exactly intellectual property. Posting a rewritten version of the original post gives off the impression, at least to me, that said original post wasn't satisfactory for whatever reason.
I apologise if you feel offended.

No, don't worry, no offense taken.

As for "if you had suggestions to make it better, you should've posted them", well, that's kind of what I did?

For the "not satisfactory" part, I suppose you're right in the sense that I found that the original post wasn't "satisfactory" but I am only speaking only for myself. It's probably totally fine for others. I mean, nobody has complained so far. (I did notice a few times that some people in threads didn't know or had trouble with some of the markdown, mostly how to post images, but they might not have looked at this thread at all.)

That's all I meant for the "presumptuous" bit. It's simply that I wouldn't assume that how I wrote it must somehow be "better" for everyone just because that's how I prefer it. Like I said, if admin people or mod s happen to like it, then maybe they could integrate the changes to the first post. But again, that's totally up to them, and I am not at all pushing for that nor was I expecting them to do that.

last edited at Jun 27, 2015 3:32AM

joined Dec 2, 2014

I really thought that I already commented here... Guess I dreamed or imagined it e.e
Thanks to Thiron for make this topic, it is very useful, I din't know any of this nor was able to remember the few tips some users say in other topics (like spoilers or tags that are the more common), having everything in one post and detailed was a wonderful idea, and thanks to anonymous too, because thanks to you the few things I still din't quite understand you make them a little more easy to understand, so thanks to both of you :)

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

anonymous

*_bold and italic_* or _*bold and italic*_
bold and italic or bold and italic

I just noticed that your bold italic example didn't do the bold part, so...
**_bold and italic_** or __*bold and italic*__ or ***bold and italic*** or ___bold and italic___
bold and italic or bold and italic or bold and italic or bold and italic

joined Jan 31, 2015

Thanks! I edited yours in.

It probably is no coincidence that whenever I attempt to use bold and italic for real in a post, I usually do a few rounds of trial and error + preview, fail miserably, then give up. :<

Tumblr_o4ze4kdynd1tjyeywo4_500
joined Dec 28, 2015

my third attempt trying

joined May 12, 2016

Hi! I'm new here and I don't know how to add mangas to the "to read" "favourites" "currently reading" list... thank you in advance :)

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Hi! I'm new here and I don't know how to add mangas to the "to read" "favourites" "currently reading" list... thank you in advance :)

Up at the top when on a manga ^^^

last edited at May 12, 2016 2:28AM

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

how to upload images

joined Oct 3, 2015

how to upload images

![](insert image link here)

example:

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

How would you quote two things one after the other without them both being grouped as the same quote? So that it'd look like this (edited screenshot example):

So you can like, quote and answer two separate things and make it clear it's from diff sources/ppl

last edited at Jun 25, 2016 3:55AM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

How would you quote two things one after the other without them both being grouped as the same quote? So that it'd look like this (edited screenshot example):

So you can like, quote and answer two separate things and make it clear it's from diff sources/ppl

Add an <hr> between them.

this.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

none posted:

Add an <hr> between them.

this.

In fact <anything> works.

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

Thank you none, Nevri, I may now complete a dumb post c:

last edited at Jun 25, 2016 2:06PM

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

Quick question, does the forum Markdown implementation allow for the use of ![](mmd.png =60x22) to resize? Or postscript definition?

![image3][]
[image3]: mmd.png "This is where the title goes" height=22px width=60px
156629_rvoyod3o
joined Jun 6, 2015

hmm

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Quick question, does the forum Markdown implementation allow for the use of ![](mmd.png =60x22) to resize? Or postscript definition?

![image3][]
[image3]: mmd.png "This is where the title goes" height=22px width=60px

Bumping this cause I don't know what it means and I'm sorry no one replied before. Does anyone who knows this stuff know?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

drpepperfan posted:

Bumping this cause I don't know what it means and I'm sorry no one replied before. Does anyone who knows this stuff know?

I've only tested the first one and it doesn't seem to work. I'd assume that the others probably don't as well but I'm not sure what's even up with the code for those ones since they don't follow the layout for images to begin with.

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

Welp, tried it in preview mode and it didn't work.

Maybe the Markdown processor uses a different Markdown version.

joined Nov 27, 2016

Hey hey um not really sure where I put this but how do you attach gifs

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Hey hey um not really sure where I put this but how do you attach gifs

To a post? Same way as normal images.

! [] (Image url) (without the spaces)

last edited at Jun 7, 2017 7:32AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.