Forum › Isn't The Moon Beautiful discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's so bizarre that a piece by Itou Hachi of all people would spark this level of dark speculation. It's pretty obvious that the setting, aside from the same-sex marriage and the animal ears, is a semi-utopian version of historical Japan, with all the trappings. The clothes, the archaic lifestyles, and the arranged marriages. But from what I gather in other "legally married" pieces she's done (which are in the same world, from what I gather), the partners are arranged but not forced, in that they have the right to refusal. So it's likely a matter of friendship between two families, rather than necessarily a business arrangement or setting up for an heir.

I think this society would work well with Japan's long history of adult adoption. Instead of a biological heir, which you're rolling the dice on whether they have an aptitude for carrying on the family business, you simply take an apprentice who shows promise into your family officially, and thus they become the hear to the business. In cases of same-sex partners who obviously wouldn't produce one themselves, it seems a good solution.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

But from what I gather in other "legally married" pieces she's done (which are in the same world, from what I gather), the partners are arranged but not forced, in that they have the right to refusal. So it's likely a matter of friendship between two families, rather than necessarily a business arrangement or setting up for an heir.

Of course it works out in this fluffy stories but it is not truly something they can refuse if family pressure is too high. Again, here it works because it is so fluffy and sweet it kills you with diabetes ;)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

But from what I gather in other "legally married" pieces she's done (which are in the same world, from what I gather), the partners are arranged but not forced, in that they have the right to refusal. So it's likely a matter of friendship between two families, rather than necessarily a business arrangement or setting up for an heir.

Of course it works out in this fluffy stories but it is not truly something they can refuse if family pressure is too high. Again, here it works because it is so fluffy and sweet it kills you with diabetes ;)

I suppose, but we've seen a lot of stories where the same thing applies to non-arranged marriages too. Not that I don't think they're horrible in the real world, but in the idealized Taishō-era style environment Itou Hachi is working in, it fits.

last edited at Dec 17, 2015 5:07PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Ah, what a fortuitous timing. I was wondering about how Itou Hachi's serialization went just yesterday.
As always, they don't disappoint: beautiful and adorable. Subscribing immediatly.

Shitsurakuen3avatar
joined Jul 29, 2014

I suppose, but we've seen a lot of stories where the same thing applies to non-arranged marriages too. Not that I don't think they're horrible in the real world, but in the idealized Taishō-era style environment Itou Hachi is working in, it fits.

Maybe because it is never really forced as such? I am sure many others in this universe suffer for it, it is simply not shown.

They mentioned gay marriage as more usual than straight marriage so we have to assume the baby thing is taken care of (really isn't that hard to accomplish with or without a bit of het).

I enjoy the story as I do with all her work, I think the type of love we will see from her maid will stay in the "I wan't ojou-sama to be happy even if it hurts a little now" territory. Or maybe we just always interpret blushing as a crush? Damn yuri lovers.
I'm anticipating something heroically self-sacrificing like that, either from Apothecary-san or maid-san.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Personally what i want out of the series is for the MC to grow out of being an ojou-sama and become a more well-rounded person who matches her new wife. She doesn't seem spoiled, per se, but she's never been taught how to do anything so she's kind of a hothouse flower at this point.

Is there still MORE?? Chapter 2?!?? O_o

K2
joined May 22, 2014

Japan should legalize same sex marriage already.

That...could be maybe, in like,...never? :D
That would be soo wonderful, but sadly i think they will do it in like,..phew,,,...10 years? 20? Oh well.It's 2k16 soon.
This will happen soon.

Have you not seen there's been a lot progress just this year. Just this year three cities in Japan recognized same-sex marriage and they even give out license of some sort that almost equal the same rights as married couples

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Nezchan posted:

I think this society would work well with Japan's long history of adult adoption.

I think you're as informed enough to know current same-sex marriage surrogates work by convincing one of the couple's parents to adopt the other. Then the couple shares the same family register and surname, like most married couples.

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

So fluffy~

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

I think this society would work well with Japan's long history of adult adoption.

I think you're as informed enough to know current same-sex marriage surrogates work by convincing one of the couple's parents to adopt the other. Then the couple shares the same family register and surname, like most married couples.

Yup, in fact I mentioned it in another comment thread just yesterday.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That would be soo wonderful, but sadly i think they will do it in like,..phew,,,...10 years? 20? Oh well.It's 2k16 soon.
This will happen soon.

Have you not seen there's been a lot progress just this year. Just this year three cities in Japan recognized same-sex marriage and they even give out license of some sort that almost equal the same rights as married couples

Shibuya is a ward within a city. But I gather a couple of other cities are considering it. From what I gather, the certificates in those areas are largely symbolic and are not recognized in the rest of the country. But it's a definite start.

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

Yayyyyyyy !!! Itou-sensei you're back !!

Tumblr_mqsgcvuolq1s1l3cpo1_500
joined Jul 12, 2012

Hhhnnnnngg..! too cute >w<

Ratana%20avatar%203.3%20dynasty
joined May 11, 2012

I don't think science babies are impossible, we see in another story in the same world that a girl without animal ears have supernatural powers, all we see is their relationship, we don't really know anything about the world except gay marriage is normal in this country, so as far as we know they might have some form of functional magic that is not common, maybe they have some magic, technology or magitek that make possible homossexual reproduction, it give vibes that it's a pretty utopic world where japan is not patriarchal so they probably don't care about bloodlines, they either adopt or have a semen bank to make the gay couples have a child in case they don't have science babies, not to mention we only see female gay couples, if gay marriage is common for both genders then they probably just adopt, what we can be sure is that Itou would probably not put in the story that one of the girls need to be impregnated by a guy, her stories are too fluffy to take that turn, if this is ongoing then depending on how many chapters it'll be we might get some info on what they do, but chances are that we'll never know what they really do because all the focus is their relationships, maybe she never thought about what they do and that's why she don't gives more info about the world.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

but in the idealized Taishō-era style environment Itou Hachi is working in, it fits.

I guess you are right.

joined Apr 25, 2013

This will happen soon.

Shibuya is a ward within a city. But I gather a couple of other cities are considering it. From what I gather, the certificates in those areas are largely symbolic and are not recognized in the rest of the country. But it's a definite start.

Isn't that how it started in the U.S.? Started off only being recognized in some places with lots of opposition from conservatives before it was finally made law nationwide.

last edited at Dec 18, 2015 11:32PM

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

:D Pretty cute. Even if Kayo wanted Chiru-chan to get back on the train. I like it, but I liked sensei and shy girl a lot too ...

K2
joined May 22, 2014

This will happen soon.

Isn't that how it started in the U.S.? Started off only being recognized in some places with lots of opposition from conservatives before it was finally made law nationwide.

Exactly how it started. In year 2000 California passed a simple little domestic partnership law that gave same-sex couples some rights kind of like places in Japan did and in the US it evolved from there just as it may in Japan. These little domestic partnership licenses/certificates evolve over time.

Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

omg, I want to see them together now, that was so damn cute

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I loved this. I really like this authors stuff. Ah. The page that announces same sex marriage is legal is one of the best pages in any yuri ever.

Gah1
joined May 25, 2015

I died.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

More... MORE.. MOAR god i love this author

Images
joined Sep 19, 2015

Itou Hachi!! yes !! yes!! \\

joined Jul 22, 2014

As sweet and cute this is, I wish it go into sex involving the two along with their servant.....honesty even then feel it would still sweet and tame. Sigh
oh I wish to see it downright dirty with the servant dominating the two.

last edited at Mar 25, 2016 3:29AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.