Forum › Haru Ni discussion

Solid%20ice%20heart%203-29-15
joined Mar 30, 2015

I thought that it was more her remembering that conversation as she got to that train station and it was the last time she saw her.

Occam's Razor. Gumilove, this interpretation makes a lot of sense.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

I loved their sad expressions

Unbenannt
joined Dec 7, 2014

wow..... that was sad....

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

This hurts.

Art02
joined Apr 18, 2015

I don't think she died. Most yuri manga end like that so I can see how we're trained to think any ambiguous ending means one of the characters is dead. I think it's about growing up, saying goodbye to their pasts.

..HAHHA Trained...

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 9:32AM

Art02
joined Apr 18, 2015

Um, no, this is not so esoteric as saying Bye to dreams, etc...
Re-chan confesses.... Fuyu-chan says I'm sorry
guess what happened kids, SHE GOT REJECTED.
She was saying Bye Bye to ever having a relationship w/ Fuyu-chan
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

D:

O - O

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 9:32AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I hate angst as much as the second person, but have to give credit where the credit is do. They conversation felt real, as they are best friends and build up before the inevitable ending (confession/rejection) was good. It was really clever giving them 2 completely different perception of same thing (blooming sakura and progress of seasons). One think spring means hopeful future while other think it represented the unfulfilled past.

My interpretation of ending is just time skip to the future where Re-chan goes to her college and mishears Fuyu-chan calling her (because it is probably the same station they used to take together), which reminds her of last spring and makes her cry. Fuyu-chan seen at the end is more likely just Re-chan imagination overlapped with memories when they said bye-bye to each other after the graduation to never see each other again.

It was pretty ironic story, but I think unlike most angst it was actually well written and doesn't just goes for drama for the sake of drama.

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 9:48AM

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

D:
the eyes startled me. Gave me the feels of cold bodies..
clicked back and still didn't finish reading ._.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I really liked this one. When I first saw it, the art did put me off a little, but I decided to read it anyway, and I did not regret it. By the end even the art style seemed to fit the story, thus going from a minus to a plus. The story really has that not often seen real-life feel to it, especially the confession and subsequent rejection part. And Fuyu was really gentle about it, there is no trace of disgust, or malice, or any other stereotypical negative responses. She says "I'm sorry.", and looks genuinely remorseful.

Now, about the ending. I personally read it as a suicide. A couple of points. Firstly, the people on the platform. As Solid Ice pointed out: "However, the fact that the crowd visible on p 26 has clearly disappeared by p 28 indicates that those people have just boarded the train (i.e. the train is not moving). Re never boarded the train.". But, if one looks closely at the second panel on page 26, it is clearly visible that all those people are actually on the next platform, and not on the one Re is, there are tracks between them, so all those people are in fact behind her when she faces 'Fuyu', and are thus not waiting for the train on page 28. Now, someone might think that Re is actually on that platform with all those people, and that the second panel is merely an artistic take, with Re walking between people in the background, and her close-up in the foreground, and there is indeed a girl closely resembling her in the background, but if one takes a better look at her clothes (she has a jumper, while Re is wearing a business-suit looking jacket) and, more importantly, her left hand, and then compares that with Re's left hand, clearly visible in page 28, it is apparent that the girl on page 26 is not Re, and those are definitively two separate platforms.

Also, if one looks again at both the first and second panel on page 26, it is apparent that those are double-platforms, where trains pull up at both sides. This detail is also visible on page 28 if one looks closely at the rooftops (clearly being those for double-platforms). Now, what am I getting at here? Simple, even if that train in page 28 was stationary, and people just boarded it, it is a double-platform, so where did the people on the other side of that platform go?

That being said, there are indeed other people on Re's platform, as indicated by the first panel on page 26, so, where did those people disappear? Well, my theory is as follows: Re, depressed (her face on page 26) and suicidal, comes to the train station to end her life. Of course, her mind is probably filled with the very reason for this decision, namely, Fuyu. Said mind then conjures up Fuyu's image, and from that point on (3rd panel on page 26) no other people are visible, anywhere, in those last pages. Both Re's and 'Fuyu's' platforms appear completely deserted. My opinion is that this actually reflects Re's perception, and not the reality. For her, all those nameless people disappeared, and there is only 'Fuyu' there.

Also, 'Fuyu' is not on Re's platform, but on the next one (not the one with all those people on page 26, that one is behind Re's platform). Their platforms are separated by the very tracks that have that train in page 28 coming in. So there is a nice metaphor in it (at least from my point of view): Re and 'Fuyu' (the fact that it is not the real one, but a figment of Re's imagination also adds nicely to this situation) stand face to face, so close, yet so far apart at the same time, insurmountable odds (Fuyu not reciprocating Re's feelings; the train) standing between them. And in the end, Re takes a step towards 'Fuyu', knowing that she can not reach her (hence the "Bye-bye."), and gets hit by the train.

Now, some might point out that she has her bag with her, as is apparent on page 28, so a question might be asked as to why did she bothered with it if she was going to commit suicide.
People who decide to really commit suicide usually behave completely normal, right up to the point when they end their lives. Other than general depression, there are really no strong warning signs pertaining to their intentions. They are generally not like the ones who simply crave attention, who will stand on a ledge of a building and wait for a crowd to gather and for someone to come talk to them. Real suiciders will most likely prepare the same way they would for any other kind of outing, would probably take their bag or purse, if that is something they usually carry when leaving the house, and then they would simply do the deed, not wait for hours agonizing (and garnering attention). They will most likely try to avoid the attention, by behaving as they usually do, and if that entails arranging their bag content, and carrying it with them, than that is what they will do. For example, there was a women who committed suicide by jumping from a building close to where I live. She got up to the roof, where she proceeded to take off her shoes, arranged them neatly side-by-side, placed her wallet (it had money, credit cards, and all the usual stuff inside) beside them, walked over to the edge, and jumped. So.

Now, about that train on page 28. Why do I not believe that it is stationary, or pulling away from Re? Because there would be no point to have it, then. Think about it, there is literally nothing in that panel but Re, the train, and the seemingly empty platform (for which I have already stated that it makes no sense to actually be empty). In such a minimalistic approach, it seems reasonable to me that all three elements must be important, otherwise they would not be there. Departing train would have absolutely no impact on that scene, it would be completely irrelevant, as in "Re is heartbrokenly saying goodbye to 'Fuyu', and there is also a train departing". If it were stationary, and Re is not boarding it, again, it is irrelevant, and would hardly be presented in that panel so prominently. If it was stationary, and Re is boarding it (or is incoming, and Re intends to board it), it would have been drawn differently, because the author must have seen how the scene looked like in this version, and what it implies.
As I said, there are just three elements in that panel, and they do add up nicely: Re's crying face, with that not-at-all-happy smile + the 'empty' platform, showing Re's perception + incoming train = suicide.

Now, all that being said, this is just my personal opinion. The ending is left just enough open-ended (at least in this respect) so that it can alternatively be interpreted as a "goodbye, and I am now off to college and a new chapter in my life". If that is the case, then it is a simple angst story, and I like it, a lot. But, if my interpretation is correct (and for me it is), then it is tragedy-flavored angst, and in that case I absolutely love it.

last edited at Oct 3, 2015 11:04AM

joined Sep 6, 2015

Also, that (blood?) stain makes no sense what so ever if it was not a suicide. I mean, it could be a ketchup stain that metaphorically represents crushed dreams (crushed tomatoes)... but... yea...

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 1:48PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Any death is clearly metaphorical. Re appears to be older in the last scene, it doesn't take place long after. And yet the other girl appears exactly as she did at graduation, uniform and all. It's an allegorical scene, she's saying good bye, or "allowing to die", the Fuyu that she knew and dreamed of being next to, who's moved on in the literal sense.

It's the death of love, not the death of Fuyu.

joined Sep 6, 2015

Re appears to be older in the last scene, it doesn't take place long after.

Her face and haircut seem the same to me, she is just not wearing a uniform. And, also, I agree with "it doesn't take place long after" bit. I mean, I was not saying that she went home after that rejection, changed her clothes, then marched right to the station and jumped under the first train that came.

And yet the other girl appears exactly as she did at graduation, uniform and all.

Which fits nicely into my theory. But again, it is just my personal opinion, nothing more.

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 1:59PM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Well, that was depressing

Stole the words out of my mouth.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Her face and haircut seem the same to me, she is just not wearing a uniform. And, also, I agree with "it doesn't take place long after" bit. I mean, I was not saying that she went home after that rejection, changed her clothes, then marched right to the station and jumped under the first train that came.

And yet the other girl appears exactly as she did at graduation, uniform and all.

Which fits nicely into my theory. But again, it is just my personal opinion, nothing more.

I had meant to say "it doesn't take place shortly after", my mistake. Within the confines of the art style, she does look a little more mature. Probably in college, or just after.

With all due respect, I think your theory is resting firmly on sand.

joined Aug 10, 2015

Translator here.

The depth of this discussion and the intricacy of many of the arguments advanced frankly amaze me. Ladies, gents, and so forth, my hats off to you. I never would have in my wildest dreams considered many of these avenues.

I would like to advance one point that I am desperately afraid might disappoint some of you. Japanese filmmakers since at least pre-war Ozu have used the imagery of people standing on opposite sides of train platforms to indicate partings and diverging paths. I'm not sure that the imagery here isn't just that simple.

This manga, I feel, is another one that's deceptively simple. There's so much dialogue in this one shot that says so little literally yet says so much on other levels. Japanese people culturally often don't say what they think, and the dialogue here approximates that better than dialogue will in 95% of manga I read. It feels real. And that's what make conversations like these possible.

I'm working on a second one shot from this author and sincerely hope you enjoy it on its release.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Also, that (blood?) stain makes no sense what so ever if it was not a suicide. I mean, it could be a ketchup stain that metaphorically represents crushed dreams (crushed tomatoes)... but... yea...

If I got it right it is irrelevant. It is actually a picture that scanlation team choose to use. It isn't picked from manga or canonically in the story. So manga starts from page 01 to 28. Btw. I just noticed the clever book end with "bye-bye" phrase. Re-chan just graduated and went to college, the reason she sees Fuyu-chan in uniform is because it is her last memory of her, she never saw her again after all. About disappearing people, I just think they boarded the train and Re-chan just didn't either because it wasn't her train, she just got out of her train that is why she is on station in the first place or just was walking past the station without needing to board one. Or Author just got lazy and didn't feel like drawing all those people, since they would ruin the image he had in mind.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Well, that was sad. A story about "friendship ends with graduation" and "dreams never come true."

joined Sep 6, 2015

I had meant to say "it doesn't take place shortly after", my mistake. Within the confines of the art style, she does look a little more mature. Probably in college, or just after.

With all due respect, I think your theory is resting firmly on sand.

Well, she still does not look all that older to me. That being said, I see no problem in it happening while she is at college. I mean, some people commit suicide years after the events that sparked their depression, sometimes even years after actually making the decision to end their lives.

Also, that is the beauty of this story; it really can be interpreted both ways, so those that prefer just angst, or simply do not like tragic endings, can read it like an end to a chapter in Re's life, while those that prefer tragedy, like myself, can see it as, well, an end to Re' life.

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 2:31PM

joined Sep 6, 2015

It basically boils down to your personal preferences, that is what open endings are for (when they are not simply there to frustrate you).

joined Sep 6, 2015

Nevri

Point taken on the "blood" stain.

joined Sep 6, 2015

Although, now I wish that I added a "just my opinion, no intention of trying to convince anyone" clause in the first comment... kinda thought that it was apparent.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Although, now I wish that I added a "just my opinion, no intention of trying to convince anyone" clause in the first comment... kinda thought that it was apparent.

Nah it was clear, and you are free to interpret it as you like. I just simply don't agree with you as I don't think the suicide fit the story or was hinted enough. I'm sure telling you you over-analyze it or just will interpreted it as suicidal regardless of what we will tell you is pointless, since you probably already know that ;P

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 2:51PM

joined Sep 6, 2015

Nevri
I am indeed perfectly aware that life often is as simple as it appears, and that many things people do have no hidden meaning. I just have an over-analytical-too-hung-up-on-microscopic-details mind. But, since I can analyse myself just as minutely, I am completely aware of that. I was actually referring to "with all due respect" bit, because every time I see that phrase... well... it could be meant literally, but... yea...
(Off topic, and with sincerest apologies for that; I tend to write posts that, sometimes because of their sheer length, sound like preaching, as in "I am correct in this, and everyone that disagrees is automatically wrong", that, combined with the fact that I tend to be overly polite (in real life as well, too many 18th and 19th century novels in early childhood, I guess), which many interpret as sarcasm, or me being condescending, tends to spark quite a few negative responses, the fact that I never reply in kind sometimes even infuriates second parties even more. And English is not my first language, so the fine tuning of my wording is sometimes off. Thus, if anyone felt like I was "preaching", or that I was condescending, I offer my apologies to you.)

last edited at Sep 16, 2015 3:17PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

(Off topic, and with sincerest apologies for that; I tend to write posts that, sometimes because of their sheer length, sound like preaching, as in "I am correct in this, and everyone that disagrees is automatically wrong", that, combined with the fact that I tend to be overly polite (in real life as well, too many 18th and 19th century novels in early childhood, I guess), which many interpret as sarcasm, or me being condescending, tends to spark quite a few negative responses, the fact that I never reply in kind sometimes even infuriates second parties even more. And English is not my first language, so the fine tuning of my wording is sometimes off. Thus, if anyone felt like I was "preaching", or that I was condescending, I offer my apologies to you.)

I do pretty much the same thing, so I totally feel one on that one. Let's all of us talk in peace <3

joined Sep 6, 2015

Also, I forgot to add this: in Japan, railroad tracks and stations are a common place for suicides (Japan, as no doubt many here know, has a rather high suicide rate).

To reply you must either login or sign up.