Forum › Oneesama - a simple Dynasty reader app for Android

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Oneesama 0.1.9 - Dynasty client for Android

A simple app for taking a few chapters on the road, maybe you can find a use for it.
4.0+; 2.3 at your own risk. Prone to odd behaviour, very much a WIP.

Please file bugs and suggestions as Github issues.

So I get notified - no way to subscribe to thread updates.

Download APK

Website Github

With a decent browser the app can intercept the chapter URLs, otherwise copy the chapter URL and click ⊕ in the toolbar to download and read it.
You can also browse series and latest releases, to an extent.

Known issues:

• Chapter sorting in Series is occasionally messed up.
  • Running on 2.3 is very unstable, may cause crashes and empty thumbnails.

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 5:22AM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

4.0+

Aw not again. That stops me from trying so many android apps, since my phone only has 2.3 (officially that is).

Also as mobile (game) developer myself, I can't help but wonder just what exactly stops so many from supporting 2.3 in abridged version at least. It might be gradually dying out, but it's still around 5% of devices.

last edited at Oct 2, 2015 5:55PM

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Aw not again. That stops me from trying so many android apps, since my phone only has 2.3 (officially that is).

I knew I'd be disappointing someone by going 4.0+. Honestly, it's high time to upgrade, but I could try making a separate build for 2.3, would take a bit of time to check which libraries work and switch the reader to use NineOldAndroids but it's possible. Not sure how well it would work and how far I can support that, though.

Also as mobile (game) developer myself, I can't help but wonder just what exactly stops so many from supporting 2.3 in abridged version at least. It might be gradually dying out, but it's still around 5% of devices.

That's because for games there is no reason not to support 2.3 as you're mostly just working with graphics that generally stay the same except for some extra GLES features available on newer devices. Most of the games I have do seem to support Gingerbread, I think.

But with native UI things have changed a lot. For example Gingerbread had basically no decent UI animation and even with third-party libraries it took a lot of effort to make things work properly. Hell, for certain animations I had to resort to change the layout parameters every frame - only because it just didn't work otherwise on some devices. Plus at this point many libraries don't play well with it so it just takes a lot of extra effort to make sure things work.

tl;dr generally because lazy or short on time

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I knew I'd be disappointing someone by going 4.0+. Honestly, it's high time to upgrade, but I could try making a separate build for 2.3, would take a bit of time to check which libraries work and switch the reader to use NineOldAndroids but it's possible. Not sure how well it would work and how far I can support that, though.

That's because for games there is no reason not to support 2.3 as you're mostly just working with graphics that generally stay the same except for some extra GLES features available on newer devices. Most of the games I have do seem to support Gingerbread, I think.

But with native UI things have changed a lot. For example Gingerbread had basically no decent UI animation and even with third-party libraries it took a lot of effort to make things work properly. Hell, for certain animations I had to resort to change the layout parameters every frame - only because it just didn't work otherwise on some devices. Plus at this point many libraries don't play well with it so it just takes a lot of extra effort to make sure things work.

tl;dr generally because lazy or short on time

Ah that makes sense, indeed I don't usually deal with native UI.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Updated for theoretical 2.3 support. It sort of worked on a Desire S, not sure if it will even run on prior devices due to per-app memory limits. Basically, install at your own risk, no guarantees.

I'll work at a more memory-efficient reader eventually, have some ideas, just not a terrible lot of time to test them.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Updated the app.

• Proper chapter and volume names, finally;
  • Can browse recently uploaded releases;
  • Notifies when an updated version is available;
  • Fixes a few annoying bugs.

I have trouble updating the app on one particular MIUI device, so if you encounter something like this (as well as other bugs) - please do tell. I know well enough that almost nobody uses it (no big surprise there, Dynasty has a mobile version), but I do plan to keep updating it for some time.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I actually really like this. I used that old Dynasty Reader app a long time ago and I liked saving stuff to my phone. Now I get the archives and unzip them and then view them in my gallery app.

This is more organized. I really like it.

Normally I browse the site with Chrome, but I like the reader app more. I'm using it on the Nexus 6P if you want to know.

last edited at Dec 8, 2015 4:40PM

joined Oct 3, 2014

I'd really like to usability test this and maybe even tweak the code for myself since it's on GitHub, but I'm still a lame iPhone user at the moment...time to buy a Nexus 6P!

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

When I try to save new chapters, they no longer go in the right spot but under Misc and seem to overwrite each other. I wanted to see if they were overwriting each other but now the app crashes when I pick Doujins or Misc.

Using it on a Nexus 6P on 6.0.1 (MMB29P), that's the January Security update. I am rooted using SuperSU Beta v2.61.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Thanks, I haven't been reading much lately so I completely missed this. This was caused by the recent (but otherwise really helpful) changes to the Dynasty API which the app wasn't quite ready for, so every installation on every device was affected and everything crashed and burned. Apologies for not getting to fixing this until today.

Thanks to the new APIs "Recent" list now loads faster, too. I'll make use of the rest of the new APIs eventually and add expanded browsing options.

Hotfix release.

It should also pop up in the notifications next time you open the app, so that's a quicker way to update.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I figured that (the API change) was the case.

Thanks for the hotfix, seems to be working fine. I got it using the notification pop up.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

0.1.8 release.

Took me three whole months to add a couple of extra screens, no wonder (almost) nobody needs this.

• Browse series - I know it's a pain without fast scroll, keeping that in mind;
  • Last opened chapters - more of a stop-gap measure for the "where did my chapter go" confusion than anything;
  • Auto-detect Left-to-Right - relies on tags, will add manual switching later;
  • Recent list improved - endless loading, actually shows what has been downloaded already;
  • Lots of bugfixes.
Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Thanks for the update! The ability to browse is great.

I noticed pictures show up when you select a series in the header thing at the top; will it be possible for the series list itself to have the cover pictures too?

What I would find also nice is if you could jump from the offline version of a series to the browse version to continue downloading chapters.

If you have other features already on the road map, it would be cool to know what's coming up.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

I noticed pictures show up when you select a series in the header thing at the top; will it be possible for the series list itself to have the cover pictures too?

I'm going the easy route and just using what's in the API of the corresponding pages, and the covers aren't there, but it's absolutely possible, if a bit tricky, thanks for the idea.

What I would find also nice is if you could jump from the offline version of a series to the browse version to continue downloading chapters.

Actually you should be able to, there's a browser-looking button in the toolbar of the "on device" series that should take you right there. Does that work?

If you have other features already on the road map, it would be cool to know what's coming up.

It's sort of a coding playground so a lot of it is decided on the spot, but the things I want to do, with no certainty or set timeframe (think at least months, with my SPEED):

• new/improved reader, with a couple of settings and most importantly not as terribly laggy with high-res images
  • browsing for the rest of the directory pages, to utilize most of the available APIs
  • offline series page consistent with online series page in terms of sorting and volumes
  • search, there's no API yet but at least something simple enough
  • maybe series update notifications one day
Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Oh yes, that button works. I thought that was the view in browser button so I didn't try it. :X (Edit: Seems it is if you are looking at Doujins!)

That's great!

Looking forward to the updates. As it gets more features, it's more convenient than using the browser.

last edited at Mar 27, 2016 12:09PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

So the app crashes when I try to look at the Love Live! Doujinshi list that I have saved. I guess there is some corruption? Not sure how to fix it.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Thanks for letting me know, I think I found the particular crash that's happening (not the exact cause, though), a bit too busy for the moment but I'll release a hotfix in a few days.

Also it may be more effective to file a github issue next time since I'll at least get a notification email that way, doesn't seem to be a way to subscribe to thread updates here - I only checked the thread by chance.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Should I do that at this link? https://github.com/DefiantCatgirl/Oneesama/issues

I'll do that next time if that's the correct place.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Yep, that's the place, and I should really update the OP with it, too.

0.1.9 release should fix the crash, but I couldn't reproduce the specific cause and working blind so need your help to check whether it actually does.

Also for future-proofing I'm really interested in the contents of the crashing screen so a screenshot or something would be really helpful - especially if there is a doujin that has no author listed.

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 5:25AM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Seems to gave fixed the crash! I'll have screenshots next time. This time all I had was that Oneesama had unexpectedly closed.

Thanks for the hotfix!!

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Ah, I meant a screenshot from the fixed version so I can figure out which doujin might've been the root cause, if any. But, well, all's fine as long as it works so never mind.

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 11:51AM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

It was Pink Romance. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/pink_romance

Old version had no author so I guess that's why it failed.

After delete and redownloaded.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

omg it works, thanks

To reply you must either login or sign up.