Forum › In the Pool, OLs Around Thirty discussion

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

Shuninta gets it absolutely right once again. Another small gem.

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

I think it's sweet... depends on how you look at it.
The office lady is obviously not going to find a husband. She's bad with picking out guys (if she does pick one, they either reject her or they're gay).... which can only mean that she and her childhood friend are going to be together forever, whether they become a couple or not.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I think the frustrated people in this thread are reading it wrong. The "straight" (note the quotes) girl was blowing her off at the beginning, but at the end, she's at least open to the idea of dating/being with her best friend, she even tells her to go talk to her parents about it. If she was completely straight, then she wouldn't have even suggested they do it at the end and would have completely blown off her friend.

Things did change at the end.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think it's sweet... depends on how you look at it.
The office lady is obviously not going to find a husband. She's bad with picking out guys (if she does pick one, they either reject her or they're gay).... which can only mean that she and her childhood friend are going to be together forever, whether they become a couple or not.

Yeah, it's obvious she's deliberately sabotaging herself and isn't seriously looking for a man. It seems more like she's playing for time until her parents stop caring about her giving birth.

Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

Awwwww, come on, why she not accept >_<"

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Well, we cannot force somebody to love us. No matter how ridiculous her reason sounds like, a rejection is a rejection.
What's up with the other girl tho...25 years chasing the same girl, 25 years being friendzoned and still begging for a date...she may need to see a counsellor or something ;)

last edited at Feb 14, 2015 9:58PM

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

Watashi is the polite/gender-neutral term to refer to oneself. It's just all around awesome because you can use it in almost any situation. Atashi (same kanji as watashi, just read differently) is the feminine casual way to refer to oneself. It's usually used by young women.

Really ? I thought watashi was feminine too while guys use "Ore" (or Boku but more childish) most of the time
I should pay more attention to these thing while watching anime, I don't recall a guy using watashi

anime/manga and music are not very good mediums to use to learn japanese. for starters, despite actual japanese people being the ones making it, a lot of the characters they create don't really act japanese. second of all, not a lot of the language used is proper. unless like previously stated, a character is made to look super refined/impeccable etc. watashi is indeed used by both, and ore would never be used in any kind of formal situation. normally, anyways. super powerful bajilionairs may claim to the exception =P

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Can people in Japan not adopt if they're unmarried?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not sure, but I do know that until recently it's been uncommon even in the west, and single adopters have a pretty high bar to clear even now. No reason to think that's much different in Japan.

Minayoko
joined Aug 11, 2013

Headbanging in a vynil pool. Fuck. YES.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

That was kind of depressing. In the end, nothing realy changed.

Because it never had too. The two are already together. The manga just does not outright says it. Just look how they act and talk with each other. They are both willing to have sex with each other (and apparently had sex before) and talking about how to approach the parents.
It is actually kinda cute.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

My understanding is the adoption in Japan is actually pretty rare. Abortion isn't as religiously stigmatized there as it is the the US, so unwanted pregnancies probably aren't carried to term as often. I could be wrong about that. Wikipedia said that over 90% of adoptions that happen in Japan are adult adoptions for securing heirs, not infant adoptions.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2013/09/30/issues/cultural-and-legal-hurdles-block-path-to-child-adoptions-in-japan/#.VOClbfnF-3k

20240420_135750
joined Jan 19, 2015

it'll be ok. office lady is subconsciously choosing bad suitors cause she's already acknowledged the childhood friend and found true love a long time ago...

joined Aug 21, 2014

I love this, because it reminds me that relationships like this do actually exist.

Valuable friendship that transcends boundaries.

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

This REAAALLLY reminds me of Gokujo

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I love this, because it reminds me that relationships like this do actually exist.

Valuable friendship that transcends boundaries.

That's whats so hard about the friendship/romance line. You don't even have to get too close to the "edge" for things to become fogged and nondescript. Often some of the best romantic relationships get initiated because someone realizes they would want to be with their close friend more than anyone else, and would not want to leave him/her; the romantic feelings follow far quicker than you expect

My understanding is the adoption in Japan is actually pretty rare. Abortion isn't as religiously stigmatized there as it is the the US, so unwanted pregnancies probably aren't carried to term as often. I could be wrong about that. Wikipedia said that over 90% of adoptions that happen in Japan are adult adoptions for securing heirs, not infant adoptions.

It's a mix of that, and the fact adopting is far more difficult than you expect. If you try to do it when you are "not a reliable caregiver" (unfortunately, homosexuals get stuck in the same category as psychopaths and repeat fellons), it's like trying to get away with plagiarism on a paper. If you don't have to get away with it, you have nothing to worry about. But if you do try, the check is so thorough and unforgiving that if you let up an inch, they'll burn ya for it.

chipmunksmtw
Racing%20noz
joined May 19, 2016

That was kind of depressing. In the end, nothing realy changed.

Because it never had too. The two are already together. The manga just does not outright says it. Just look how they act and talk with each other. They are both willing to have sex with each other (and apparently had sex before) and talking about how to approach the parents.
It is actually kinda cute.

Yep, yep, agree with this.
This story is light and heartwarming for me.
I like it.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Still needs a sequel where she approaches her mother about marriage, imo.

Good
joined Jun 14, 2016

This is so pure omfg

Rsz_tumblr_m8ybh0fbrb1r43rfao1_500
joined Jan 26, 2017

This one is a gem

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

This one is a gem

Indeed so.
By the way, what's your icon from?

Hikamaru%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

The one adoption loophole (for same sex couples)I heard of in Japan is one is put down as the parent and the other signs as a legal guardian. I can't say much for how reliable or authentic it is but it's the main way I heard of.

Pooooog103139
joined Nov 12, 2020

i guess there is love in the air?

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

tbh, I think this might be peek useless lesbians

To reply you must either login or sign up.