Forum › Posts by Tiroskan

joined Oct 12, 2013

Did the manga have Evie going over how she was a loner in her past life as well? It's been awhile so I can't recall.

Nene posted:

Incandescent can actually mean "displaying intense emotion," though I don't think I've heard it used that way very often at all.

“Incandescent with rage” is something I’ve heard often enough to have just assumed that’s what was meant there. I think it’s more common in IE/UK English than other dialects though.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

Dude, she either just confirmed a lesbian character is raped or consents to heterosexual sex, which is somewhat invalidating to lesbianity, and neither of which I'm looking for when I put money down for a yuri game.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

I don't think Christine Love is 100% on how the concept of lesbianism works

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

Get raped by a dude and like it. Have fun!

What.

Totally forgot about Ladykiller coming out, have been looking forward to that for a really long time.

http://imgur.com/a/A4sqI
courtesy of /vg/. warning for het rape and explicit dick

I am beyond pissed and disappointed, I've been anticipating this game for over a year. I guess I'll just buy Flowers instead.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

LADYKILLER IN A BIND IS OUT NOW

BE A SCUMBAG
HAVE SEX WITH GIRLS
ON A BOAT
SINCE IT'S ON A BOAT I HOPE YOU PRACTICED YOUR KNOT-TYING
(also you too are a girl so it's like lots of girls kissing)

Get raped by a dude and like it. Have fun!

Tiroskan
Octave discussion 09 Oct 00:07
joined Oct 12, 2013

S-she gets better

joined Oct 12, 2013

So we're back into ignoring Ayaka and Yurine.......

I'm fine with this, they are pretty boring as characters, and dynamic.

Ayaka's desire to not disappoint her mother, and the damage it has done to her mental health are actually quite interesting in my book, which is why I'm all up for them

I get frustrated at how they show up for an infodump chapter or two and then disappear indefinitely. Spoils the tension. And I like Ayaka. :(

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

Lol /u/ is comparing us to tumblr again, like come on guys you have better insults and you know damn well nobody on here is tumblr levels of dumb.

It was pretty bad a year or two ago, but I think most of the guilty parties have grown out of that phase and moved on.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I really can't see someone actually going through this kind of issue . It seems so unreal and full of overly stimulated anxiety .

Man, I sure wish I were you.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Ah I missed YKA in there. I've kinda ignored it because from what I've heard it's like surrealist yuri which isn't my cup of tea.

If you have to mention "subtext level" than it's not textually gay which is my entire point.

Technically isn't all subtext part of the text?

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

God, that was tense.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, i guess i just don't believe the whole idea of all children being %100 non-corrupt until the "magic" of adolescence, that there couldn't possibly be a child who would become "corrupt" without it being the effect of actions directly caused by an adult, i have the feeling i'm reading too much into this stuff now, thanks Yuzumori-san.

There's nothing's inherently corrupt about sexual play - afaik there hasn't been a huge amount of study into it due to largely Puritan attitudes surrounding children, but it seems to be something quite natural that children partake of as they become aware of themselves and their sexuality. An adult taking advantage of a child for their personal satisfaction is pretty corrupt though.

But this is just a cute fictional mango, right?

joined Oct 12, 2013

This chapter actually resonated far more with me than the first one. Thankfully I've never had many/any issues with self-harm/disordered eating, but I've had anxiety issues and been depressed, and spent a lot of time stressing my mental and physical health to do what I thought was expected of me only to wonder "what now?" and why I wasn't happy once I'd achieved the things others wanted for me.

So now I just shitpost and play videogames and I'm really a lot happier.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Tiroskan posted:

I kinda... don't care about whats going on in this manga.
Anyone knows whats ahead? Is there Yuri in this? if so from which chapter?

This manga is kinda hard to understand for anyone who hasn't gone through depression, as someone who suffers from it a lot I think this manga is a masterpiece so far.
But the Yuri here isn't really the point.

Ppl go through things. I've experience shit myself, and still am. I've had family members who have gone through hard things, stuff much harder to cope with than what is going on in the manga.
Either way, it does not mean that I will automatically care for this.

Was just asking if yuri happens at any point and when, in case anyone knows, cuz I don't have much interest on this as it is. Unless yuri comes into the mix.

You still sort of sounded like a dick.

And nobody wants dicks on Dynasty.

fukken saved

joined Oct 12, 2013

How fucking nice was that interviewer who told her to draw manga though.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I don't like when the manga is in american english T_T we don't learn taht english in the schools

Uh more specifically, american english how? The spelling? The accents? The vocab?

When she's at home Kazuki's dialogue is way off from "proper" English spellings; from what one can derive from the pronunciations she's speaking a southern/midwestern US accent. Also she says stuff like "ya city-slicker".

As I read more yuri doujins, I started picking up on which variation of English scanlators use in their translations; I can usually at least tell whether or not the scanlator is from the US or outside it. When I started reading A Room for Two I noticed GiB was using non-US English, and sure enough the scanlators are Australian.

Doki always use mum instead of mom as well.

I always associated "mum" with the UK; I didn't know it's also used in Australia until I started reading Shimapanda's and Raizoo's stuff.

Australia, NZ, NI. Basically anywhere the British went.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I kinda... don't care about whats going on in this manga.
Anyone knows whats ahead? Is there Yuri in this? if so from which chapter?

This manga is kinda hard to understand for anyone who hasn't gone through depression, as someone who suffers from it a lot I think this manga is a masterpiece so far.
But the Yuri here isn't really the point.

Ppl go through things. I've experience shit myself, and still am. I've had family members who have gone through hard things, stuff much harder to cope with than what is going on in the manga.
Either way, it does not mean that I will automatically care for this.

Was just asking if yuri happens at any point and when, in case anyone knows, cuz I don't have much interest on this as it is. Unless yuri comes into the mix.

You still sort of sounded like a dick.

joined Oct 12, 2013

The art really looked like Heebee's to me, but I'm glad to see Tamamusi getting some proper work. And it's good too!

joined Oct 12, 2013

I don't like when the manga is in american english T_T we don't learn taht english in the schools

Uh more specifically, american english how? The spelling? The accents? The vocab?

When she's at home Kazuki's dialogue is way off from "proper" English spellings; from what one can derive from the pronunciations she's speaking a southern/midwestern US accent. Also she says stuff like "ya city-slicker".

As I read more yuri doujins, I started picking up on which variation of English scanlators use in their translations; I can usually at least tell whether or not the scanlator is from the US or outside it. When I started reading A Room for Two I noticed GiB was using non-US English, and sure enough the scanlators are Australian.

Doki always use mum instead of mom as well.

Tiroskan
Kase-san discussion 24 Aug 21:01
joined Oct 12, 2013

How can Kase possibly be so sweet and innocent and yet so hawt and thirsty? :3

And yet this is why I love the series, because as a rule high schoolers are all horny idiots.

Eh, not necessarily. Though I suppose Yamada balances her out.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Aussie accents are cute, do it

joined Oct 12, 2013

BTW, the saddest part about the translation is that you all miss out on how awesome Nanami's "home" accent is. She speaks in a really really strong regional accent when she's not at work, and it's fantastic.

edit: no slight against the TLers meant here either! It's just not possible to translate that!

I wanted to dial the southern accent up even more but korewa wouldn't let me :(

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

Full disclosure: lesbian girls with southern accents is my fetish.

Don’t, accents in text are unbearable. Though I found Shizuru’s southern accent in the Hime anime irritating as well.

That's a general rule for writing prose in English. If you're going to do an accent on a character who's actually meant to have their dialogue read, keep it really light and use it sparingly. It's okay in the case of the father from Flying Witch since you don't actually need to understand what he says because the characters interpret for you. But otherwise, text accents just annoy most of your readers.

Personally I find defaulting to Southern US English to be kind of overdone anyway. Wasn't there one recently that had more of a Scots accent? That was at least refreshing.

I don't really get its relative prevalence for localising 'fancy' accents. I'd be more inclined to think of an old-money east coast accent as being its relative. I suppose that's just my thinking as a foreigner though, I dunno what Americans think of.

Tiroskan
joined Oct 12, 2013

I thought maybe people were reading into things, but I think her aunt really did give her the bad touch. Damn.

joined Oct 12, 2013

"Kill all hu-mans" is sounding more sensible by the day.

Why hu-mans with the hyphen?

Also how does "killing all X" ever sound even remotely sensible?
I get that it isn't serious but the fact that just because a person's opinion is invalid or toxic in your eyes you would wish death upon them makes you just as toxic, if not more.

I’m reasonably certain it’s a reference to something.

joined Oct 12, 2013

BTW, the saddest part about the translation is that you all miss out on how awesome Nanami's "home" accent is. She speaks in a really really strong regional accent when she's not at work, and it's fantastic.

edit: no slight against the TLers meant here either! It's just not possible to translate that!

I wanted to dial the southern accent up even more but korewa wouldn't let me :(

Doooooo iiiiiiit.

Full disclosure: lesbian girls with southern accents is my fetish.

Don’t, accents in text are unbearable. Though I found Shizuru’s southern accent in the Hime anime irritating as well.

last edited at Aug 21, 2016 7:21PM