Forum › Posts by ColonalCat

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

idgi ¯\ _ (ツ)_/¯

that said I'm not very familiar with Hibike Euphonium.

Yeah that's the short and the sweet of it. The viewing of 'Liz to Aoi Tori', the spinoff masterpiece by Yamada of the series, is required to know what's going on.

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I was going to write "Just hit them with the broom" but I guess a baseball bat is fine too. To be honest I am surprised this does not happen more often IN japan seeing how intense bullying can be over there.

Well...it actually does happen often here.

As a matter of fact, cruel violence is so common that most people here are desensitized to it. You just don’t hear about it unless you pay attention to local Japanese news. The news doesnt talk about bullying or domestic abuse or any of that...its a perverse form of Yellow Journalism (in of itself a perverse form of journalism) that emphasizes the results but not the means. People being cut up and tragically murdered and mutilated is more common than you would like.

I think the story is half playing off that, and half an interesting twist of your typical yandere. I dont think its trying to condone the actions, but rather illuminate something scary about human nature in how people can find an aspect satisfying in it. Also sort of getting at what is good about Yanderes in a backwards and cruel way...at the end of the day they do just really love you, and loving them in kind brings a...happy end I guess.

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Loved this~

TOTALLY thought this style (art and story) was familiar. Never a disappointment.

last edited at Apr 30, 2016 5:14AM

ColonalCat
Image Comments 30 Apr 05:08
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014
42390877_p9

TatsuTen~

ColonalCat
Image Comments 30 Apr 05:07
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014
56424400_p4

LOL MakiCard.

ColonalCat
Image Comments 30 Apr 05:04
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014
29433279_p0

Yui's always the wild card for me with this show. Huge fan of this pairing because it's that rare instance where we get a tsundere trying her damndest to be honest and kind, and the pairing just works so well. Big fan of Akari x Chinatsu because it (for me) takes on this whole aspect of Chinatsu being a sneaky and clever girl planning everything just to get closer to Akari. HimaSaku is kinda a nobrainer.

Like I love Yui a lot but man I got no one to ship her with. Not that KyouYui isn't good, just prefer this one.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Unfortunately the third movie ends here and it is uncertain if they will continue with the franchise or not...

Funny you should mention that

ColonalCat
Sweet Room discussion 15 Apr 12:41
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

...man I had just watched the movie and was so terribly disappointed with the ending (which was partially personal bias because of the glaring chance for some delicious HonoTsuba subtext that got kinda skimped) that I've been waiting for some more stuff.

But this? Damn. A "nice try" indeed.

ColonalCat
Boyfriend discussion 15 Apr 12:14
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

...I feel like this shouldn't have been the first comment section I read after hiatus.

./shrug

ColonalCat
Gardenia discussion 18 Dec 10:38
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Also, aren't Shinto, Confucianism and Buddhism not particularly fussy over how the world was created, but rather how we live day-to-day in the current time?

Congrats to me being way late on this but I can't resist after briefing back over some previous posts to make sure I didn't unintentionally ignore anyone.

Shinto is a bit more spiritual than it is religious, but the buddhism and the three great philosophies (taoism, confucianism, and legalism) are...well more philosophical than religious. Christianity has a moderate hold in Japan, especially when compared to other 'Eastern' countries, but it's in the overall minority.

Shinto and Buddhism both have creation stories, but they are no more vital to their frameworks than the story of Elijah is to Christianity's.

last edited at Dec 18, 2015 10:39AM

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Can't fucking wait for the second season haha

ColonalCat
Gardenia discussion 26 Nov 11:30
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I wonder how much of this is actually 'Historical' and how much is actually just a modern day setting in yukatas?

Just a question. Good art, solid story. Not really pulling my heart strings though...I think it's because there wasn't much buildup? Hard to say.

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

So I think all doubt that Tachi is conscientiously using Kaede and Yuzu as starting out heavily subtextual is gone now.

Thank you bunches ShiN and the rest of Lazy Lily.

ColonalCat
Stretch discussion 27 Oct 02:23
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Hmm...I am so glad I never wasted my time with this one O.o

It's still a good series with a lot of teasing, really not much different from something like Nanoha

I think the fact Nanoha has the two continue to be together is what separates them. Keiko leaving...I can see what Shou was trying to get at, what with the whole "Started from the bottom and now we're here" kinda thing, but it honestly was just a pisspoor limp to the finish. I'd forgive him if he hadn't proved how masterful he was at manipulating symbols and circumstances to his will...there were just too many plot holes to let slide in the end.

I absolutly have no sympathy as to why people are not bothering with series because of a relativly harmless ending, Sakura Trick got a lot of flak for this too despite the good comedy, the great compensating of an low budget with clever use of animation and some unique character dynamics you usually don't get

I'm salty towards the Sakura Trick hate too because of all the above and the fact it actually is a very well-developed set of yuri relationships. I think people forget that people need to learn how to love at some point in their life.

This isn't Cross Ange which send shitty morals from the get go

Well tbf, that whole world is fucked up from another dimension. And that was the entire point behind the story...crude and rather blunt, with some storytelling issues but overall it accomplished what it set out to be.

ColonalCat
Gemini discussion 27 Oct 02:13
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

as if someone else could legitimately tell them apart and fell in love with one of them, they would simply just have to reciprocate.

Thought I'd point something out. It seems like this Tasaki person was indeed able to tell them apart and fell in love with Sachika, but not only did Sachika not feel that she had to reciprocate, but she explicitly rejects him. On page 72, Sachika says "You don't have to worry about me going out with Tasaki-kun." So I really don't think their relationship has anything to do with "we have no other option." But again, this is just my own opinion.

Sorry if I'm looking past what you're really trying to say.

Late response because school and stuff. Sorry about that!

You're not really looking past much tbh. I think the details you've provided do indicate that they will end up being steadfast toward one another, and their characters seem to have enough fortitude to be able to stand by that.

Really it's just a matter of how it was conveyed, at least from my eyes. Makes the incestuous aspect of the relationship seem to make it inherently inferior.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Omg... Kinda DEPRESSING! T^T
Why oh why doesn't Madoka's series go happy end with yuri love?!!?! Kyouko... SAYAKA! Ma poor pure heart... O_o

It's depressing on the surface...butttt if you know what happens afterwards...it's a very happy ending.

ColonalCat
Gemini discussion 09 Oct 23:24
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

...but to me incest is a story dynamic that has to be presented with care in order to keep the attraction both believable and positive...

Everything you said Cryssoberyl is very accurate, but condensing to this sentence because I feel it needs the most emphasis.

Society has stuck a boding and inescapable connotation on the word "incest", so much so that many hear the word and automatically assume '%sibling raped %sibling'. And completely and understandably so. As a survival tactic, it makes sense to try and get into people's heads that having children with your blood relation is bad. Not only this, but the nuclear household just naturally develops these days in "developed" nations that inherently make it not only nonsensical from almost every perspective, but also rather distasteful to even consider falling in love with a sibling.

So from a practical sense, healthy incest is likely only achievable in stories. For that very reason, the intrinsic dynamic is incredibly unstable and fragile. The story has to be pure (in a connective sense) and well-ironned at its roots in order to capture an audience. This one did not do enough of that. Even the idea of them not doing anything to look any different from the other is forgivable and surprisingly workable from a story's sense...but what broke the hinges was the way they so nonchalantly accepted the idea they could taken by someone else...**as if someone else could legitimately tell them apart and fell in love with one of them, they would simply just have to reciprocate**.

That just naturally makes the relationship become a "because we have no other option" scenario, which is not a bad start in many cases; but as the main focal axis? Bad.

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Im loving all the fluff of YuYuYu, but Im just waiting nervously for the angst to start seeping its way to the top.

ColonalCat
Image Comments 01 Oct 02:28
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014
20275793_p0

Unfortunately, it's not always obvious in a one-sentence disclosure.

ColonalCat
Stretch discussion 01 Oct 02:26
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Welcome to angst folks. We have a nice dispensable wall over here with over 500 china to choose from. Smash shit to your hearts desire.

This is definitely heartcrushing, but therein lies the hope in the first place. The sheer fact Shou has been explicitly doping us up on angst only to poison us centered around the pain of broken romance means that he is not only making it clear that he is intentionally making the focal centerpoint of the story around the two in a ROMANTIC sense, it also means that most of the best storytelling techniques advancing from here involve something far more heartlifting and satisfying.

I don't think I need to explain the first part to clearly, I know most here can see and clearly understand that fact. The second is just iterating a commonly employed but superbly effective tactic to soak in the audience: wrench their hearts dry, soak 'em back up even better. The more effective and ingenious the storytelling, the better effect this has on audiences (usually accompanied by a deluge of tears).

...but I think it's worth pointing out that if I didn't walk away from my computer for a few hours, my comment would probably be spewing a litany of derogatives and curses and Shou since that would accurately reflect my mindset immediately after reading this >.<

ColonalCat
Yuri Danshi discussion 30 Sep 00:15
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Thanks 'fan. I'm a fan of the 'fan.

How do I get one of those group name badges by the way?

I'll ask Omn to give you one next time he's online.

Wait, you're skipping the blood sacrifice?

Why didn't I get to skip the blood sacrifice?

Nez your ritual was special and required special attention.

But I don't think he/she's exempt from the kitten sacrifice.

ColonalCat
Yuri Danshi discussion 29 Sep 18:30
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Same author that made arguably one of the best anthologies of all time? You know the story within the story is gonna be really damn good no matter how comedic and silly it will come across as

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Takeda is so boring.
Why is he popular again? For being a "good guy"?
Pft.

It's more along the lines of everyone's shittiness, his is the most implicit; and that of everyone being screwed over, his is the most sympathetic.

He think dating is about sex, which is a red flag in of itself. Forgivable since he's in high school, and shoot, that's what high schoolers do: screw up by their naïveté in the romance department. But doesn't change the fact he's so easily persuaded by the notion Yuma might be cheating on him. If you can't trust your partner, your relationship is about as deep as a puddle of water.

ColonalCat
Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/netsuzou_trap_ch06#39

nice guys always FINISH LAST

Yeah but the nice guys who can cleanly move on and understand why they got rejected make the best comebacks.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I am kind of surprised that her peers were all like "that's so cool" when she came out.

Meh. Not the entire world is prejudiced, and our younger generation tends to be a lot more accepting, especially in the entertainment industry. I see where you were coming from with the 'boyfriend' thing though. I mean it didnt seem like the drama wrapped around the fact that she got a boyfriend, it was more along the lines of the fact that she found another significant other in the first place. And I can see that finding a boyfriend might be a lot easier than a girlfriend.

Haha... forced drama is forced drama. She will eventually find a new love. It's not like she's ugly.

Doesnt make the pain of acute heartbreak any less painful.