Forum › Little by Little discussion

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

I don't get it...' ' I just don't get it...

TheLostLight
Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

Yeah, this one was confusing as hell; here's how I interpreted it:

The kiss in the beginning and the girl getting a boyfriend happened in the past. Time jumps forward to where the MC is in the badminton club. MC starts to get a crush on the girl in her club, but now she is in a relationship with someone else (the waitress).

When the girl from the club and MC go to the cafe, MC spots her current girlfriend (not the same girl from the beginning of the story). MC is realizing that she likes the girl from her club and hopes that her current girlfriend (again, the waitress) pretends not to see her. Waitress notices MC and once she finishes her shift ?kisses? her and tells her she needs to go home, because that's how they would normally act in private.

Girl from club realizes that MC and waitress are in a relationship and is disappointed because she was subconsciously interested in MC. MC realizes she likes both girls and doesn't know what to do. All she can do is wish that the girl from club is never taken by anyone else because MC wants both girls to herself.

That's my best guess anyways. I have no idea how close I am :\ Thought someone else would know, but glad I'm not the only one super confused.

last edited at Jun 4, 2016 2:05AM

TheLostLight
Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

On a separate note, I have to hand credit where it's due. I think the artist did a very good job in drawing the freckled girl in a way that it makes sense that she could have low self esteem and be unpopular in certain environments while still appearing attractive to certain observers (i.e. the main character). A lot of times in manga and anime you either get characters who say they're ugly or plain, but actually look like models, or else actually ugly characters who are just physically repulsive (usually a gag character). The artist hit a sweet spot imo.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm not really sure waitress and girl in page 1&2 are the same. On page 2, she goes away with a boy and doesn't seem interested anymore, after finding out that kissing a girl didn't excite her.

But then, waitress comes out of nowhere and kisses MC, so we are supposed to know her. And girl in the beginning is the only one we saw. And I'm not sure about their relationship. I don't think MC would aim for freckles-girl while having a current girlfriend.

Kinda confusing.

last edited at Jun 4, 2016 5:12AM

yurinaissance
56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I read twice asap yet... The pacing of the story made me a little blank... Did I sense love triangle?

yurinaissance
56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

The waitress girl is the friend who got a bf, right? They are just friend, right? Does kissing they do in the beginning has no meaning to her? Then, why do they deny each other? Aaah..... I don't know.

joined Oct 11, 2013

I've re-read it. Meh, there's this time lapse happened on the page 12 just by looking how MC and her clubmate entered the cafe, they were wearing their uniforms and so happened after the kiss, it turned out that they were wearing casual clothes. Might as well, the story was blurr but I kinda like it even though I had to read it again just to understand some hole parts.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

The waitress girl is the friend who got a bf, right? They are just friend, right? Does kissing they do in the beginning has no meaning to her? Then, why do they deny each other? Aaah..... I don't know.

I think its not the same person. Blonde waitress is just an acquaintance WHO KNOWS. And as she see how MC behaved herself infront of another girl, decided to tease MC :D Quite a way haha

Well I liked the story)) Especially the "wth I havent understood it at all! so I should reread it 4 times" part :DDD

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I am thinking waitress girl and club girl are in a relationship. Page 13 is waitress girl and club girl kissing. So the upset dialog is directed at club girl?

last edited at Jun 4, 2016 2:41PM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

damn I was really enjoying this just because the girl she liked was cute but not in the "traditional" manga cute girl way. If this girl was in any other manga she would probably be seen as the "plain character" so I liked her as the love interest here. (plus she was super cute! those freckles and blushes oh my goodness)

it was just such a shame how disjointed it all was. I could kind of follow it until the cafe scene, but the only way that scene made sense was if the waitress was the same girl as the girl in the beginning, but the two look totally different, so I don't think thats the case? Idk. that whole cafe scene was just hella confusing

joined Aug 4, 2014

That one feels unfinished even more than your usual one shot, I mean come on, it's like it ended right in a middle -.-
Plus it took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell happened in this cafe because of messy mix of present events with retrospection, So overall unsatisfying read. Damn, too bad. It's not like we get that many stories with tomboyish characters.

last edited at Jun 4, 2016 8:37PM

Yuno
joined Jun 27, 2016

Some of the parts in this short story really did confused me, and I think the story needed more details.
It felt like I was thrown in and out between different timeframes if that makes any sense?

The only thing I think I understood, was that this blonde girl from the beginning, (who was Ishibashi-san's first love). was the same waitress in the ending, and her sudden outburst was because the love she felt for her, was not requited.. But it is only my point of view?!

Well like I said before, this story still needs more detail about the different characters, and it needs more substance instead of a rollercoaster, but other than that, I think it could've been a sweet story. :)

Icon
joined Mar 14, 2015

Ok... since everybody has been posting they're theories I thought I could share mine C:

Before I start I'll point out the geniality of the 1st-love-girl reaction after the kiss, you'll miss it if you don't pay attention to the first part: the 'I knew it.' xD how many times haven't we seen that exact same prelude (or something holding similar meaning) before the girl confesses her love for the MC? To put emphasis in how this is not following the norm of the genre they even cut in that same page the dreamy in-box narration (that, I'm guessing was supposed to trick us into believing it was about to be a story of a first love). I cracked at the second page because of this xD. It was a big NOPE!

Well, with that out of the way I'll dare to declare 1st-love-girl is not the same as waitress-girl. I'll explain why in a bit.

I'll try to establish a timeline since most of you complained on how this was disjointed, with which I agree since the format of this manga does not properly draw the line between diferent whens, at least not in the ways we are used to (black pages for flashbacks, that little rectangles in sequence from big to small that represent some time has passed, nor even a mention of 'some time later'):

I think the first kiss' event is not so far away in time to the karaoke scene. I'll take a guess and say the kiss probably happened during summer vacation (cuz then is when you get your sleep overs in manga) and 1st-love-girl getting a boyfriend happened somewhere at the beginning of the new term. I'll add how I think they may be on their second year since she was recruited for the club not as part of the freshman hunt but by a middle school sempai who knew she could fill in the numbers.

Getting back on the closeness in time from 1LG getting a boyfriend and the karaoke scene, she clearly stated she joined the club as a way to distract herself from her loneliness which had to be pretty recent for it to be that strong still. I think that Tama-san's haircut represents either her hearbreak (you know cliché things) or how it is practical when practicing a sport more than the passing of time (Also could be played as a before and after for Tama-san -like naïve and hopeful Tama and realistic heartbroken Tama).

I also think the flashback finishes in the first-sour-face panel in the second page, the second-sour-face panel being in the karaoke scene where she receives a mail presumably from 1LG, who is inviting her over so she can tell Tama about her first something with her boyfriend. Thus her mood suddenly going worse enough to someone to notice; perfect time to introduce Agatsuma who also counts as a reference to tell with certainty Tama's enrollement to the club is really recent (since by the time she doesn't know who she is and there aren't many members in the club for her to not even remember seeing this girl, I mean... she was recruited because they were short on people, right?).

Then there is the changing room scene and the club scene which I don't think I need explain since they seem to be (maybe the only) pretty clear scenes. In case I'm wrong, they are just about Tama getting the hots for this girl and realizing her feelings while still being pesimistic about it (considering her previous experience).

Tama seems to be a pretty smart character since she does not let her emotions get the best of her... she advances with caution, proof of this is her asking Agatsuma if she has a boyfriend and making a believable excuse for it. She then starts taking hints here and then while she gets to know her better. When she thinks 'I doubt that's really the case...' she is referring to the why Agatsuma is single, since she does seem like someone who would be popular. Tama seems to gain a little of hope for herself at the end of page 9.

Some more getting to know each other happens in the following scene, where Tama gets to ask what was it that Agatsuma was trying to tell her back in the changing room. She then gets down because of the answer which is 'you reacted a little like a boy' which I think lead Tama to think Aga-san had some experience with boys before. This is why the twin brother part is important, it clears any suspicion Tama could have while revealing a little more how this girl's insecurities are really the mayor obstacle for her not having a relationship (As far as Tama can tell), which the short haired girl thought was nice since it would help them to be together longer even if they are just friends cuz lover > friend stuff (it was just put in different words, and not the usual 'I wish we could be together forever).

Then there is the part which messed it all, seems to me they were either short in time or pages and did their best to finish the whole story with all of its elements which ended with it feeling rushed and confusing. All my respect to Kari Sumako-sensei, it must have been really hard. But fear not since I'm here!

Page 12 and page 13 are in different locations and therefore in different times. At the bottom of page 11 our girls head to a old-timey cafe in their uniforms; in page 13 first panel shows they are at some -nny's family restaurant and page 14 shows they are wearing casual clothes.

With that set I'll attempt to clear what happened from the evidence I gathered. I'll also explain why I believe 1LG is not waitress-girl.
First because of the obvious, I know the different looks were already turned down for this but let's be honest... why would the artist change it enough to make us doubt of it being the 1st girl? if it was a change of style well yes, she could get bangs and dye her hair (school seems to be lax since they can hang after school), but why would they change the shape of her eyes and her eyebrows? why taking away all the distinctive characteristics of the girl? sure they could take some but not all of them? Second we already stablished the hearbreak events have been recently, there is no need to change 1LG to show the passing of time. If you are still dubious, answer me: Why haven't Tama or Aga changed too? why keeping them constant while not doing it with 1LG?

The sudden shock of locking sights would probably be taken as a 'didn't expect to see you here' but I'm pushed to believe that was not the case. What we see in that eye to eye awkward scene is not other than... wait for it... attraction. Yup! see for yourself, page 12 second panel there is a teeny-weeny heart inside a circle just next to waitress girl. 'It's just part of the background! (°O°)' you may say, but look closely at all the backgrounds in this manga and try to say it again. WG keeps stealing glances at Tama and Tama herself seems to be aware of this new girl. 'Why all the pleading on not to be noticed then? wouldn't she be glad to finally find a gf?' NO. Tama pleads for it not to happen, she does not want 'to be found' TAN TAN TAAAAAAAAAAN!! Get it? she was glad Aga-san may not be found anytime soon so they could be together, she never thought of her being the one found!

So then the dinner place scene closes it all, with a surprised Aga-san at the sight of WGF kissing Tama. It's clear that they had been all three hanging together at -nny's. WGF excuses herself politely before leaving our two girls alone. WGF and Tama are certainly dating. 'But Tama had feelings for Aga! (°O°)' yes but, approaching this realisticaly she probably didn't want to mess things or get heartbroken again so she saw fit moving on. WGF probably knows about Tama's feelings as well, so that good-bye kiss may have been a possessive act too. Tama get's angry and starts making up excuses for she fears her coming out may make her lose Aga-san.

The ending does not really close anything because is still uncertain to both Tama and us, the public, if Aga-sans reaction were due to her also having feelings for Tama or truly because of her insecurities still. At the end Tama still wishes for them to be together in her own words; by Aga not being 'found'. but at the same time takes a step forward now that the yuri is out of the bag.

And that's it... I'm sorry for it being that long but I hope you find this useful somehow... or at least was worth the read -v-
To finish it all I really liked this story (as I understood it) regardless of it's flaws.

last edited at Jul 20, 2016 3:28PM

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Well.... after some re-readings, somehow I came to the following conclusion:

The "girl kiss" the beginning is the waitress. Apparently, that first kiss was a kind of "test" for his part, years ago, after which she concluded that she prefer the boys (or be with a girl was something that she couldn't face at that time) and left our MC lez-made but with no-girlfriend.

Our MC develop some kind of trauma: the girl she liked was "discovered" by someone else and was taken from her, so when she meets "the new girl" and feels somehow attracted to her, she can't help but remember the previous experience and think "Maybe if she is so simple, with such low self-esteem, nobody will discovers she" (AKA, nobody will take she from me).

Suddenly (and, in my opinion, without any reasonable justification to return to the history), our "first kiss girl" reappears (the waitress) and for some reason also unjustified and absolutely out of the blue, she kisses again our MC just before going home like nothing.

Since the black-haired girl has some feelings for our MC (as all we could perceive from minute one), this sudden kiss provokes to her a certain jealousy, which leads to our MC to, also, Pseudo-conffess herself...

Assuming reasonable this "conclusion", the attempt of argument doesn't seem bad to me, but the narrative leaves much to be desired. What a shame...

Well, but the Girl from the beginning has a mole under her left eye but the Waitress-san has no mole!

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

Yeah, this one was confusing as hell; here's how I interpreted it:

The kiss in the beginning and the girl getting a boyfriend happened in the past. Time jumps forward to where the MC is in the badminton club. MC starts to get a crush on the girl in her club, but now she is in a relationship with someone else (the waitress).

When the girl from the club and MC go to the cafe, MC spots her current girlfriend (not the same girl from the beginning of the story). MC is realizing that she likes the girl from her club and hopes that her current girlfriend (again, the waitress) pretends not to see her. Waitress notices MC and once she finishes her shift ?kisses? her and tells her she needs to go home, because that's how they would normally act in private.

Girl from club realizes that MC and waitress are in a relationship and is disappointed because she was subconsciously interested in MC. MC realizes she likes both girls and doesn't know what to do. All she can do is wish that the girl from club is never taken by anyone else because MC wants both girls to herself.

That's my best guess anyways. I have no idea how close I am :\ Thought someone else would know, but glad I'm not the only one super confused.

I don't think waitress-san is her current girlfriend, at most a Ex or a Affair.
Why? Because the sentance from the MC would make no sense "To distract from my loneliness, i had joined..." if waitress-san is her girlfriend why should MC be lonely?

joined Jan 20, 2020

Forgetting the discussion whether this makes sense o not, you guys noticed MC's fashion sense at last page

That cardigan was bold and I like it

To reply you must either login or sign up.