Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

sia ue

We don't even know if the ones who do the official translation read the manhwa or not though, neither do we know if the author checks their translation or not though.

ah I forgot to tell you, I believe TG do check the translation themselves, anyone who read the official ch80 can see that even the dialogue bubbles change in their location+ size (at least 3 times in this chapter alone) which mean that at least Gaji sees them before hand.
Seju's Name stand on her office desk also changes to English instead of Korean. (art work change)

last edited at May 24, 2017 6:08PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

sia ue

We don't even know if the ones who do the official translation read the manhwa or not though, neither do we know if the author checks their translation or not though.

ah I forgot to tell you, I believe TG do check the translation themselves, any one who read the official ch80 can see that even the dialogue bubbles change in their location+ size which mean that at least Gaji sees them before hand.
Seju's Name stand on her office desk also changes to English instead of Korean. (art work change)

Be a bit silly if they didn't i reckon. Official translations generally mean they are approved by the author.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Korean honorifics are quite extensive from the looks of things. Can see why they lose a lot of them translating it to english honorifics.

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

I do need someone who could read korean to tell me if, in chapter 44, there really is the word "chahee" in the original raw korean or not. I believe there is not. I think the fan-translation is good enough. Imo, the reason why the official translation and the unofficial one look totally different from each other is because the official translation translated and also modified the original sentenses to make the manhwa more interesting while the unofficial transtation only translate the original sentences. I don't like the modified version.

joined Feb 4, 2017

^
there are more serious problems like pronouns.. I switched to you , and you to her
very clear example in ch80,
Seju said: if I worked in that time I'd have earned enough money to buy 100 mufflers.
also she said: it doesn't suit you
talking about the activity of knitting and Sumin (which I find funny, because you commented on how knitting doesn't suit Sumin earlier XD )
about ch44, the original refers to Seju's mother Ahn Chahee.. it seems the father feels responsible of making his plan work so he could face her after life.

last edited at May 24, 2017 6:25PM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

A problems like pronouns is quite possible. We know a Korean sentence sometimes lacks an object.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Can you post the raw part of Chap 44, nora? The part with chahee, I can confirm it has the name chahee or not. I'm too lazy to go check on lezhin and read the chap again

last edited at May 24, 2017 8:28PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Can you post the raw part of Chap 44, nora? The part with chahee, I can confirm it has the name chahee or not. I'm too lazy to go check on lezhin and read the chap again

Be careful with that as it could be against the Forum rules.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

A problems like pronouns is quite possible. We know a Korean sentence sometimes lacks an object.

Uhm, but when you refer to a person who is not there, you have to use nouns to address them. Korean sentences only omit subjects when the subjects are not necessary.

joined Mar 21, 2017

hehehe .. I've been doing this thing a lot lately .. I should tune it down, you are right

If you got banned this thread would probably die ; )

joined Feb 4, 2017

hehehe .. I've been doing this thing a lot lately .. I should tune it down, you are right

when you see Lady Melisandre , remember me XD.
thanks again for having my back once more ;)

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:18PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

when you see Lady Melisandre , remember me XD.

I will delete it after yoonie0104 provide the conformation tho, thanks again for having my back once more ;)

I can't stand Game Of Thrones : p

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Hey, sorry for giving you inconvenience, Nora, next time, I'll just go check myself. Anyway, the official translation is right, it's Chahee

joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie0104

Hey, sorry for giving you inconvenience, Nora, next time, I'll just go check myself. Anyway, the official translation is right, it's Chahee

nah, don't worry about it .. I made sure I had enough coins anyways for June (sob sob) .. thanks a lot :D

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:16PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

The raw part is pretty confusing, I agree with sia ue. The unofficial one can be right, in a way if you don't understand the story deeply and remember every detail.
차희를, this is the word for "chahee" "차희" but it has a object particle "를", if you didn't remember "차희" is a name, you could think it is referred to an object, not a person, since "를", often is placed after an object

I believe this translator has forgotten there is a character named "차희", it was easy to forget, since the name of Seju's mother was only mentioned once, and it was months before this chap was published. If you don't pay attention, you would forget about this detail, really. That's why the translator got confused about this part, this sentence isn't that hard to understand if you know Korean, the sentence structure isnt hard. So when he/she noted that, that meant he/she is not sure how to translate this "차희를". It's understandable

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:25PM

joined Feb 4, 2017

^
that's exactly why I mentioned "Steve Jobs" name example.. because it is basically the same error. while "Jobs" can be correctly translated as work places, it is incorrect with this context.
because of the fan-translation error, the meaning became ambiguous and I remember seeing a comment about this particular sentence, the reader thought that there is a plan made by Seju's father to clash companies or something following his death.. when I think his plan is to actually secure Seju (and thus, be able to face her mother, Chahee, after his death)
-> later we saw him talking to Sumin about a whole life plan for her and Seju in the U.S + giving her a part of the inheritance

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:32PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

ch4:

Damn, I've been questioning Seju over and over again about this part, all thanks to wrong translation

I've been thinking that the author's intention for Seju has changed from the beginning @_____________@. This part makes me feel like she's a player, she has slept with thousands of girls, but later on, the author described her as a faithful person for her first love. I'm like "Did she first intend to build a pure evil Seju but later on changed her to half evl half pitiful Seju?", I just question this yesterday when I remember this part and I intend to ask you guys and use this translation as an example =)))))))))))))))))))

last edited at May 24, 2017 10:07PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

The chance of the official translator being Korean is high. Just found a Lezhin job ad in the Korean Craigslist site looking for translators.

joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie0104

the unofficial translation obviously made Seju sound like a very horny person in TWO translation errors in one single scene !!..
I swear, I don't make this shit up.. it's what it is online vs. official one
not being what they call me " Seju's Stan" .. they read a wrong translation.

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:44PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Oh, btw, one example why you should stick with official translation( if what Nora89 and Es0teric said is right about the author check the translation herself) xD.

In chap 80, Seju had said this and it was translated like this in official translation: when they was sitting on the sofa, after the talk about scalf, Seju said this "It doesnt suit you" XD

In the raw version, Seju words was literally translated like this "Doesnt suit" XD, there is no objects or subjects. Who suits which, which suits who, that totally depends on your situation understanding. The unofficial translation isnt wrong either XD.

But I believe the official one is right XD, based on what they said, and honestly, personally, when I first read it, I also think Seju refers Sumin as the subject of the sentence, not Sungji xD

joined Mar 21, 2017

The other thing is you can't translate word for word and put them in order. You also need to change it to a sentence that works in English gramatically. I find quite a few unofficial ones don't. Can't speak for the WDTFS one you guys are talking about though as i try not to read it.

last edited at May 24, 2017 9:57PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

The chance of the official translator being Korean is high. Just found a Lezhin job ad in the Korean Craigslist site looking for translators.

I'm pretty sure the ones do translation in lezhin are koreans

The unofficial translations, for a few chaps, especially when newpt was still translating, are from koreans, I think. However, for most translations, they were probably from non-koreans who learn korean, just like me XD.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I'm pretty sure the ones do translation in lezhin are koreans

The unofficial translations, for a few chaps, especially when newpt was still translating, are from koreans, I think. However, for most translations, they were probably from non-koreans who learn korean, just like me XD.

Yeah i think they're Koreans who are also quite fluent in English.

joined Mar 21, 2017

The ad i found if anyone is interested in what they were looking for : )

http://seoul.craigslist.co.kr/wri/6107666755.html

last edited at May 24, 2017 10:05PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

yoonie0104

the unofficial translation obviously made Seju sound like a very horny person in TWO translation errors in one single scene !!..
I swear, I don't make this shit up.. it's what it is online vs. official one
not being what they call me " Seju's Stan" .. they read a wrong translation.

Yeah, I believe wrong translation has played a big part of increasing Seju's hate among wdtfs's readers. Honestly, the first few chaps with wrong translation, it feels like Seju is a horny, flirting player who is all game for sex alllll the timeeee, while Sumin is only her sex mate and is there just to serve Seju's need, no less #___________#. it's like Seju is using Sumin for sex, not the other way around.

How I wish the official translation is available for everyone to read

last edited at May 24, 2017 10:37PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.