Forum › A "small" topic for video games

joined Mar 23, 2013

Maybe the fancy VR stuff will raise the bar again, at least for a while.

Fancy VR stuff? What fancy VR stuff?

Best way to avoid disappointments is to find yourself a reviewer you can relate to and stick with them. You don't even have to have the same tastes as them, with the time you're just gonna know how your and their tastes compare. For me it was TB and Nothernlion but they usually don't do AAA games.

I haven't found nice reviewers since the old days of Greg Kasavin and co. @ gamespot.
I usually don't watch/read reviews anymore unless you count /v/ as a review group.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

What's the scope of games discussed here? Anyone else mourning the demise of square Memel?

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Fancy VR stuff? What fancy VR stuff?

Best way to avoid disappointments is to find yourself a reviewer you can relate to and stick with them. You don't even have to have the same tastes as them, with the time you're just gonna know how your and their tastes compare. For me it was TB and Nothernlion but they usually don't do AAA games.

I haven't found nice reviewers since the old days of Greg Kasavin and co. @ gamespot.
I usually don't watch/read reviews anymore unless you count /v/ as a review group.

Never been a fan of Gamespot but I don't know when I started paying attention to them. I'm not playing that much anymore but I usually still turn to TB for in depth first impressions and to GameInformer for short reviews.
Not like GI is necessarily that much better than anyone else, though.

last edited at Apr 25, 2015 10:09PM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Yugioh/Digimon or GTFO, I don't think VR would really do much except add the gimmick to the current consoles but who knows maybe nintendo will figure it out :/

Series: Tekken Pairing: Asuka x Lili Links: deviantart1 deviantart2 [insert zurui yo magnetic today here]

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Ahhhh, my head made that VR into VN, I'm way tired.

VR is awesome, I had the chance to play a pretty low resolution version at GC and it really is a completely different feel to play.

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

VR is awesome, I had the chance to play a pretty low resolution version at GC and it really is a completely different feel to play.

I'm always skeptical about different stuff. I am more of a fan of the classics. There has yet to be a Pokemon game where I don't reach the maximum number of hours. (chainbreeding for that shiny female Fennekin I wanted took just waay to much time)

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

What's the scope of games discussed here? Anyone else mourning the demise of square Memel?

Games of the video variety

Wrong scope. Funny though.

I'll just assume no body plays the games I do.

joined Mar 23, 2013

You never know until you mention them, it's kay we won't judge.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

You never know until you mention them, it's kay we won't judge.

Are you sure?

... I play Rome II.

Okay, no I don't, but it's the most hated game I know and own. And I would play it if my Laptop would run it...

Play the other total wars though. Europa Universalis IV is my main game currently though, and a few other strategy based games (Civ V, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires II, Crusader Kings II). I plan to get every game linked with Paradox, because seriously, I love those guys. Only have two now though.

I very occasionally play Smite, SWTOR and PoE. SWTOR and PoE probably more than Smite.

So, on the whole, doubt anyone plays many of them.

last edited at Apr 26, 2015 7:50AM

joined Mar 23, 2013

Okay, no I don't, but it's the most hated game I know and own. And I would play it if my Laptop would run it...

Play the other total wars though. Europa Universalis IV is my main game currently though, and a few other strategy based games (Civ V, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires II, Crusader Kings II). I plan to get every game linked with Paradox, because seriously, I love those guys. Only have two now though.

I very occasionally play Smite, SWTOR and PoE. SWTOR and PoE probably more than Smite.

Fan of strategy games, eh? I wouldn't say no one plays the games. Paradox is well liked by many, and Europa Universalis 4 is extremely popular if you're into more slow paced startegy games. I like the game myself although it has some dumb things like losing a war based on points because your allied country got wrecked and you were stuck In England because naval inferiority. I mean, you lose yet you took no damage :( .

As far as AoE goes... I'm an avid fan of ZeroEmpires stream and youtube, Can't get enough of dem clan wars and all. I occasionally watch TheViper's stream as well. I don't play anymore but I like to watch.

PoE is the refined gentleman's ARPG but I could never enjoy too much because of how clunky the animations were plus I always play hardcore so desynch hell wasn't my cup of tea. I heard they might fix that although they've said that like a million of times already.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Fan of strategy games, eh? I wouldn't say no one plays the games. Paradox is well liked by many, and Europa Universalis 4 is extremely popular if you're into more slow paced startegy games. I like the game myself although it has some dumb things like losing a war based on points because your allied country got wrecked and you were stuck In England because naval inferiority. I mean, you lose yet you took no damage :( .

As far as AoE goes... I'm an avid fan of ZeroEmpires stream and youtube, Can't get enough of dem clan wars and all. I occasionally watch TheViper's stream as well. I don't play anymore but I like to watch.

PoE is the refined gentleman's ARPG but I could never enjoy too much because of how clunky the animations were plus I always play hardcore so desynch hell wasn't my cup of tea. I heard they might fix that although they've said that like a million of times already.

I pretty much never encounter a fan of Europa Universalis though, especially in person where the only strategy fans I know struggle with creating a decent economy in the original Rome.

Your scenario confuses me, it seems to be implying England in some way doesn't have naval superiority if you're there and not them? That just feels... Wrong. Losing a war because of your ally usually isn't that bad though. They take the hit more so than you usually, unless you're co-belligerent for some reason, which I don't think the AI ever does. Or if you're the attacked and it's only your ally that's under siege, they can't enforce demands, so you can cheese of a peace at their expense.

I'm too impatient for streams and such usually. I'll sometimes have a let's play in the background at most. Playing the games needs a bit of a break for me though. I usually play with max number of enemies and huge resources, and spend most of my time systematically destroying the map.

I'm not sure why I enjoy PoE as much as I do. I like the leveling system, though like in SWTOR, I never think out a build for my character, so they're usually terrible. Just as well I'm fairly solitary and don't really interact much (at all).

joined Mar 23, 2013

I pretty much never encounter a fan of Europa Universalis though, especially in person where the only strategy fans I know struggle with creating a decent economy in the original Rome.

Your scenario confuses me, it seems to be implying England in some way doesn't have naval superiority if you're there and not them? That just feels... Wrong. Losing a war because of your ally usually isn't that bad though. They take the hit more so than you usually, unless you're co-belligerent for some reason, which I don't think the AI ever does. Or if you're the attacked and it's only your ally that's under siege, they can't enforce demands, so you can cheese of a peace at their expensive.

It's weird isn't it. Well in that particular instance I decided to rush things and conquer Scotland and Ireland so my ground forces were impeccable, which is why the enemies could not land. They just circled around with their ships being a nuisance. And the danes, Norway, Burgundy and France at the same time in a war ( plus a few nobodies ) meant I could not leave my island.
The Trio of Norway, danes and France means a lot of ship.

I just think that your country taking zero damage would mean that you really didn't lose anything. At least that's how it would be in IRL at the time. But I understand that from a gameplay mechanic it might not be the coolest.

I'm too impatient for streams and such usually. I'll sometimes have a let's play in the background at most. Playing the games needs a bit of a break for me though. I usually play with max number of enemies and huge resources, and spend most of my time systematically destroying the map.

I'm a big RTS player and have the APM to back it up so I harass alot with god tier micro. Harassing villagers is an art in AoE. There's a lot you can make your units do if you just don't just point and click attack. It's one of the great things in the game. The way arrows work, height advantage etc... A lot of outplay in there to do.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

It's weird isn't it. Well in that particular instance I decided to rush things and conquer Scotland and Ireland so my ground forces were impeccable, which is why the enemies could not land. They just circled around with their ships being a nuisance. And the danes, Norway, Burgundy and France at the same time in a war ( plus a few nobodies ) meant I could not leave my island.
The Trio of Norway, danes and France means a lot of ship.

Denmark does always have an annoying navy. Usually with Portugal though, as well as keeping my navy only to heavy and light ships, I can control the seas. If I'm lucky, I'll often have Castile as England too. Pity since military access is shared now I can't work up the courage to play through the HYW again, I liked England...

I just think that your country taking zero damage would mean that you really didn't lose anything. At least that's how it would be in IRL at the time. But I understand that from a gameplay mechanic it might not be the coolest.

Often times the result of wars weren't based on tangible gains of territory, but rather economic suppression, dissent of certain classes and threat of intervention. I usually just blame this if a peace deal seems off.

I'm a big RTS player and have the APM to back it up so I harass alot with god tier micro. Harassing villagers is an art in AoE. There's a lot you can make your units do if you just don't just point and click attack. It's one of the great things in the game. The way arrows work, height advantage etc... A lot of outplay in there to do.

I just hoard resources, rush all the tech and go in with all destroying armies. I'm probably too cautious early on because I don't like to tempt an attack from my enemies, who usually have a larger military because they're far more competent than me. I don't invest well enough.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

I'm always skeptical about different stuff. I am more of a fan of the classics. There has yet to be a Pokemon game where I don't reach the maximum number of hours. (chainbreeding for that shiny female Fennekin I wanted took just waay to much time)

Yeah, I get your concerns, it's something you have to try out for yourself. And even though VR accomplishes everything it tries to do (the tech demo I played was just flying around in a mech and looking down while flying actually caused some butterflies in my stomach), it also shuts you off from reality completely. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I used to be a huge fan of RTS games until AoE 3 bored me to death...I don't know if it was me or the game, I haven't even played starcraft 2 yet but I plan to pick it up one day.

Series: Hyperdimension Neptunia Pairing: Nepgear x Uni Link: pixiv

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I used to be a huge fan of RTS games until AoE 3 bored me to death...I don't know if it was me or the game, I haven't even played starcraft 2 yet but I plan to pick it up one day.

Series: Hyperdimension Neptunia Pairing: Nepgear x Uni Link: pixiv

Ah, AoE... Still play 1 and got AoE2 HD to play online with a friend co-op against full NPC slots.

Also, truthful memes are quite fun:

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

CkII owns. I like Total Wars as well but haven't played any since Shogun II came out.

CKII annoys me because for some reason I hate the idea of playing a major and learning the game mechanics as Shrewsbury is... Difficult. Though on low difficulties it's a bit too easy to marry off a daughter to the holy Roman Emperor. Making the chefs fat son Otto fly in the name of learning is pretty great however.

I might give Mercia a chance when I get Charlemagne. If I can be Offa, ruling from Tamworth, I'd be the giddiest being ever.

Shogun II is my most played one...

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Jesus Christ, took me three characters to clear the first dungeon in Daggerfall, a little too brutal for a tutorial stage

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Starting in Ireland, 1066 is the traditional suggestion for a small power, IIRC. You can conquer Ireland very quickly.

I also enjoy starting in Perm 867 and trying to stay pagan inbetween the Christians and Muslims. If you get a running start west and break up the little principalities over there before they form, you can get quite a little empire going. My favorite game which I just kinda got bored with, I'd conquered most of Eastern Europe and the present-day Baltic States, and Western Europe was ruled by Shia Muslims.

But... But... Shrewsbury! I'm afraid I have a natural aversion to playing as the Irish when I can conquer them instead. I come from that place just across the sea from it you see, it's in our nature. Starting as Shrewsbury is okay really. I usually get Hereford quickly, and Wales is fairly easy to nab parts of. Never really got to the stage where I could paint the map, but I'm decently powerful in England. Especially since the Hwicce often fall apart, so they don't usually bother trying to revoke my Mercian counties, which I'm too fond of to let go.

Western Europe is always owned my Shia Muslims...

Until the Aztecs, of course.

Does anyone know the feeling of finally deciding to play a Brandenburg -> Prussia game, getting fairly well along, the world aligns to your tastes (Protestant France, No PLC, BFF Sweden stomping in the north), and then ruining it all when they thought the pop-up telling them their truce with the Livonians was over, was telling them the one with the Teutons was?

Accidental truce breaking, European wide coalition, -3 stab and skyrocketing WE during the reformation = Screw Brandenburg, never playing again.

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 4:05AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

WELL!!! That 25 % was a critical hit I guess http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-removes-paid-mods-from-steam/1100-6426931/ I was against it, you could said... They had good intentions (they say), but it was handled so wrong.

WE WON!? I guess... Humanity was not prepared, we are soo greedy.
Imagine if the modder received 50 % ... The reactions would've been different. Maybe not so much I hope.

Look at how Gabe was trying to make it sound, opportunities for modders, better mods, supports from studios ... They won't mention their profit, they're trying to make it sound like we ruined a great idea, it was not... Not like that. That video in spanish making fun of the system had so much truth that it wasn't funny anymore... Hehehe nah is still pretty funny. I've watch it like 7 times.

last edited at Apr 27, 2015 10:24PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I'm sure they'll be back, and it won't be no 100 years from now

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

WELL!!! That 25 % was a critical hit I guess http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-removes-paid-mods-from-steam/1100-6426931/ I was against it, you could said... They had good intentions (they say), but it was handled so wrong.

WE WON!? I guess... Humanity was not prepared, we are soo greedy.
Imagine if the modder received 50 % ... The reactions would've been different. Maybe not so much I hope.

Look at how Gabe was trying to make it sound, opportunities for modders, better mods, supports from studios ... They won't mention their profit, they're trying to make it sound like we ruined a great idea, it was not... Not like that. That video in spanish making fun of the system had so much truth that it wasn't funny anymore... Hehehe nah is still pretty funny. I've watch it like 7 times.

I find it impossible to believe that they thought it was a good idea... How could they have been so naive and shortsighted? Are they unaware of how ppl LOVE to abuse of flimsily executed systems and all of the legal issues that this could've entailed?

It's pretty clear that they purposefully detached themselves from their own store just to not take responsibility over the shit that makes it in there and their customer service is non-existent.

Like c'mon... Agh! I should stop reading about all this shit, I am just losing my mind to such baffling incompetence.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

One hour and half of FFXV feedbacks, quite interesting... What the hell Japan are you that bad at games?

last edited at Apr 28, 2015 2:32AM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

One hour and half of FFXV feedbacks, quite interesting... What the hell Japan are you that bad at games?

Something tells me that it will be worse than FFXIII...

Someone played Summon Night: Swordcraft Story? is it true that it's really yurish?

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Something tells me that it will be worse than FFXIII...

Someone played Summon Night: Swordcraft Story? is it true that it's really yurish?

I liked Final Fantasy XIII.

Probably mostly because I liked shipping Farroncest though...

This topic has been locked.