Forum › Yuri discussion

Good to see you enjoying it here and thank you to be my friend

Aw, you're welcome

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

Just here to say that yuri is love, yuri is life!

Yuri is great, but i stll don‘t understand why people are making fun of it, what’s the problem with yuri? fuck that memes

last edited at Jul 27, 2021 12:04AM by

Yuri is great, but i stll don‘t understand why people are making fun of it, what’s the problem with yuri? fuck that memes

People like to make fun of everything, that's all

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

overrated tag TBH

joined Feb 9, 2021

Reason to life

joined Mar 25, 2019

I'm trying to find this lewd one-shot manga where one of the girls has an allergy to pool chlorine, anyone know what it was called?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I'm trying to find this lewd one-shot manga where one of the girls has an allergy to pool chlorine, anyone know what it was called?

Entirely the wrong place for a request like this (next time go here), but it's most likely Poolside End.

joined Mar 25, 2019

Entirely the wrong place for a request like this (next time go here), but it's most likely Poolside End.

I didn't know about that, thanks, I'll go there next time.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

The power dynamics of a polygamist relationships would just be a nightmare. Someone would always end up wanting what the others couldn't give.

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

Its back!!! Oh yeah!!!!!

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

So. The Yuri tag. After a conversation on the topic of tagging it came to my attention how odd a lot of definitions of tags on this site really are (something I did not bother to question until now). Here is the definition of the Yuri tag according to Dynasty:

Female + female relationship(s).
Should be mostly explanatory when reading the chapter/series.
Does NOT matter what the setting is, just needs to have a relationship involving two women (including transgender women).
Should NOT be paired with the futanari tag unless there is somehow a separate relationship that does not involve futanari.

This definition is rather awful and contradicts a lot of the use of the tag on this site. Any definition that includes "should be self-explanatory if you just read the series" is a travesty already.

The line about the setting is exceptionally odd and redundant. I do not see this specification on the Het or Bisexual tags, so why does it exist here?

The first aspect of this definition

Female + female relationship(s)

is already consistently contradicted. It claims that the yuri tag applies only to relationships between two women, yet the tag is used for one-sided crushes all the time. It is used for series which would obviously fall into the area of subtext as well, with no such defined relationships present. The tag claims something very specific but a very loose usage is endorsed by the uploaders and mods.

The next issue is with the arbitrary choice to completely deny Futanari from being tagged with Yuri while explictly stating Trans is applicable. Now before I am senselessly accused of being transphobic, my issue is the opposite. I believe that there are plenty of cases where Futanari stories would fall within the yuri tag, just as trans stories would.
The fact that one does have yuri symbiosis and the other does not is what creates the dissonance here.

If you consider trans women to be yuri relevant (and again, so do I), then you have to quantify this. Your most likely reasoning is: It's a woman, despite the male body parts. In that case this applies to a major chunk of futanari stories as well. In the majority of stories where futanari is a state that is acquired (via transformation(magic or otherwise)) the original state of the futanari was a perfectly normal born girl. Her gender identity did not change just because she grew an extra body part. A trans woman (barring surgery or magic) is more of a man physically than a futanari. Yet there is a complete double standard in the application of the yuri tag. Even in Japanese circles the tag that would translate to "Yuri Futanari" exists.

I think most of these issues are to blame on an outdated standard that came about when the site first was created (barring the trans line which was clearly added much later). Personally I believe that taking away the prohibition on tag combinations would mitigate a lot of things. Like letting the Yuri Crush tag leave its gag obscurity and actually be allowed to be used to describe stories with one-sided feelings in them (whether based on rejection or lack of confrontation) and allowing both Trans and Futanari to co-exist with the Yuri tag, obviously depending on the contents of the story. It will require uploaders to be a bit more conscious of how they tag things, but I do not believe that's a big ask.

last edited at May 20, 2023 5:18AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Having read through far too many endless “is it really yuri?” comment threads (as if “yuri” was some kind of honorific that a series needed to earn), I think that in the context of Dynasty it’s the lack of the Yuri tag that’s most informative, signaling “no girls’ love here.”

I’ve always taken “yuri crush” to mean something along the lines of “side character has feelings that probably aren’t going much of anywhere, unless maybe at the very end.”

Ambiguous, ambivalent, unstated, nuanced feelings are often the stock in trade of yuri manga; introducing more ambiguity into the tags seems counterproductive to me.

last edited at May 21, 2023 11:10AM

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Having read through far too many endless “is it really yuri?” comment threads (as if “yuri” was some kind of honorific that a series needed to earn), I think that in the context of Dynasty it’s the lack of the Yuri tag that’s most informative, signaling “no girls’ love here.”

Certainly, the lack of a yuri tag generally implies that not even a yuri fan who would generally be trying to look for it could find anything solid, which is revealing in and of itself.

I’ve always taken “yuri crush” to mean something along the lines of “side character has feelings that probably aren’t going much of anywhere, unless maybe at the very end.”

Unfortunately I do not see much of a difference between this and a main character going through the same thing. Especially for one-shots that are notorious for ending things without a proper resolution I think this tag would have some genuine use. If it has no Yuri tag then a lot of people would skip it, thinking it had no yuri value whatsoever. But one-sided feelings are something people are interested in specifically too. Yet simply stamping something without resolution or relationship as Yuri is very obviously against what the tag is defined as on this site.

Ambiguous, ambivalent, unstated, nuanced feelings are often the stock in trade of yuri manga; introducing more ambiguity into the tags seems counterproductive to me.

If something is ambiguous I think the Subtext tag more than fulfills the purpose here. But I have now encountered people who believe that it is not subtext if one-sided feelings are stated. Either would be fine with me - it just needs to be settled.

Regardless of the ambiguity though, can we not agree that the definition of the tag is awkward and requires at least some updating? At the very least it would be prudent to get rid of the "setting" and "self-explanatory" lines, which are completely superfluous.

last edited at May 21, 2023 12:03PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If something is ambiguous I think the Subtext tag more than fulfills the purpose here. But I have now encountered people who believe that it is not subtext if one-sided feelings are stated. Either would be fine with me - it just needs to be settled.

Regardless of the ambiguity though, can we not agree that the definition of the tag is awkward and requires at least some updating? At the very least it would be prudent to get rid of the "setting" and "self-explanatory" lines, which are completely superfluous.

I think the word “relationship” is probably the most imprecise and potentially misleading part of that definition, but overall I’m generally in favor of Dynasty’s broad definition of “yuri.” So sure, some editing/refining of definitions might well be in order, but I don’t see the issue as mission critical. I personally find the most utility in the “warning” tags when determining what to read, and I think the distinctions among “yuri>subtext>yuri crush” lead to more than enough fruitless discourse already.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

I've let my personal distaste over all those doujins with that tag elsewhere overshadow any objective considerations I had when implementing that rule here. I have removed the ban on it's combination with Futanari.
Many years too late, but my apologies to all those confused for all this time.

To reply you must either login or sign up.