Forum › It's OK to not like things.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

youtube
Don't be a dick about the things you don't like.

this thread was made to keep behavior discussion out of content discussion

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Let's admit, we're all horrible people here on internet. Liking horrible things, having horrible behavior, and writing horribly about it.
If someone who doesn't yet have The Anonymous Disease looks upon us, they'll get terrified of the freaks we are. And then they'll feel glad they're not so horrible. And feel the need to tell us. To guide us. Cause not-horrible people should guide the horrible ones...right?...BAM, infected too, didn't last long.
So let's be civil. Horribly civil.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

May your niceness strike terror into the hearts of people who like things you don't!

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

You can always ignore that kind of people, y'know?

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

And they can ignore this post of yours, you know.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

And they can ignore this post of yours, you know.

See? It works!

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Bad/Good = Objective

Mmmno. That's the point.

last edited at Jun 10, 2014 12:24PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Bad and good are subjective value judgements.

Objective judgement would be whether something is well executed, or whether it's canon (although in some cases canon gets pretty fuzzy).

Neither is justification for being a jerk, which there's been a lot of recently.

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

The "Bad/Good = Objective" is exactly where the problems start, SFX Skill. I know what you mean and depending on what exactly you use as criteria for "good" and "bad" I agree with you to a certain degree. Unfortunately people who simply like a story (or dislike it) try to categorize it as good or bad with more or less objective criteria (e.g. how it was executed, what the author's intent might have been, ...). That's where the arguments start.

I'd actually say whether good or bad is objective or subjective is the question often times.

Besides, people make mistakes, so even when somebody seems to have found an objective metric for good or bad in a story you never know whether perhaps you both simply made a mistake somewhere. And the internet is hardly the place to discuss it because let's face it, we're all here mostly for entertainment and not hard work...

This thread is a good idea nevertheless, perhaps it helps to sort out some different view points and enlightens us about each other's criteria for judging what we read here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The core problem I see here is taking opinions like something personal. People won't always agree with you, but if you really like something whatever, is their loss. Of course that reducing things at a simple 'I like it/I don't like it' doens't allow for that much discussion but you can't force them to change their mind, you can only offer points of why you like something at best.

That's why I believe is best to ignore blatantly incendiary comments and just keep enjoying things.

last edited at Jun 10, 2014 1:09PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

It is not okay to like things, if you like things you are worse than man of steel. If you like things it is everyones duty to insult you and berate you.

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

The core problem I see here is taking opinions like something personal. People won't always agree with you, but if you really like something whatever, is their loss. Of course that reducing things at a simple 'I like it/I don't like it' doens't allow for that much discussion but you can't force them to change their mind, you can only offer points of why you like something at best.

That's why I believe is best to ignore blatantly incendiary comments and just keep enjoying things.

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's just human to try to find objective reasons for what you like. Nobody wants to like "bad" stuff, right? That's not entirely bad, trying to convince others of the "objective good-ness" of a story basically means, on some level, you want to share a nice emotion with them.
Then again, the opposite also happens a lot.

Overall I think this forum is still on the brighter side (ahem...), but sometimes I'm a little disappointed most comments on a story are nothing more than a, however phrases, "I like/dislike it". Longer discussions either turn ugly or are just treated as tl;dr.
I'd like to actually discuss stories (Citrus comes to mind atm...), but without all the hate.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

It is not okay to like things, if you like things you are worse than man of steel. If you like things it is everyones duty to insult you and berate you.

Hey now, Man of Steel was a great movie.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Please, satisfy yourselves in here. We won't be touching anything further.

last edited at Jun 10, 2014 1:19PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's just human to try to find objective reasons for what you like. Nobody wants to like "bad" stuff, right? That's not entirely bad, trying to convince others of the "objective good-ness" of a story basically means, on some level, you want to share a nice emotion with them.

You reminds me of something it happened with the girl eventually became my girlfriend (ex girlfriend now). She was really into Pokemon but I lost interest on it back on high school, one time we were talking with other friends she came to me all excited telling me about the new games, I heard her but I was honest and said that I wasn't interested on it, she became dejected and said that she only wanted to talk of it with me.

Is natural for us to share what we like with someone else but is kind of hard to do it nowadays and so many of us turn towards the internet but if people is judgemental IRL, in the internet is worse (is specially bad with people feels superior by mocking things) when that happens you either develop a thick skin to keep your standing or simply ignore it and move on.

To reply you must either login or sign up.