Forum › The Last Uniform discussion

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Wut? :D

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Volumes 1 and 2 are licensed and Volume 3 will never be licensed. So this starts at volume 3 (chapter 25). This chapter follows up the last chapter of volume 2 which left things hanging after Ai-chan confessed to Fuu-chan. The character profile page which I added also has a full summary of chapter 24 to explain the current situation.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Oh wow, thanks man. I bought the first 2 volumes of Last Uniform years ago, unaware the 3rd and final volume would never be released. I even asked Dynasty back in the days when they did stuff if they would pick it up.

Thanks for making years of waiting end. :D

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

It's really a pity that i can't read 1st and 2nd volume, but the summaries are kinda enough, so i don't mind it that much. I'm looking forward to next chapters, it looks great + It's from Hakamada.
Thanks.. :)

Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

I happened to find the volume 2 of this in our local bookstore for about 2 dollars, that's great luck considering they never "export/officially sell" licensed manga here anyway (except for online orders which is way too expensive).
Nice job there fly by Yuri.

joined Jul 3, 2011

Glad I got my volume 1 and 2 when I did.

joined Jan 15, 2014

Just can't get into this without reading the first two volumes and there's no way I'm spending $50+ to get them :(

last edited at Jan 15, 2014 10:58AM

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

At this exact moment in time Amazon.com has them starting at $24.70 for volume 1 and $2.89 for volume 2 plus $4 each shipping, about $36. Of course that's only if you live in the USA. Elsewhere shipping would be higher, but you can still get these purchase prices.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I saw this years ago but never bought it since i knew it wasnt finished.. Let me toddle off and see if i can order vol 1 & 2 for a reasonable price in the uk before I read this :)

Yurinsijdisjdijs
joined Oct 15, 2011

Gonna check craigslists.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

At this exact moment in time Amazon.com has them starting at $24.70 for volume 1 and $2.89 for volume 2 plus $4 each shipping, about $36. Of course that's only if you live in the USA. Elsewhere shipping would be higher, but you can still get these purchase prices.

Thanks Yuri Girl. off to go check for and hopefully order it.

last edited at Jan 17, 2014 8:36PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Am I the only one who finds it sort-of odd, annoying, and counter productive that the copyrights on out of print works are getting respected? Especially when the rights on in-print works that simply haven't been released yet aren't?

joined Feb 15, 2013

seven sea entertainment has both volumes for 12 dollars each. that's probably worth getting

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

seven sea entertainment has both volumes for 12 dollars each. that's probably worth getting

I don't know if they are back in print, but I just went to the Seven Seas website and came across these links to MacMillan Publishers (I guess they are associated with Seven Seas):
http://us.macmillan.com/thelastuniformvol1/MeraHakamada#buy-the-book
http://us.macmillan.com/thelastuniformvol2/MeraHakamada#buy-the-book
where the books were both listed for $11.99. I'd say definitely worth getting.

Thanks for the tip silveraven19.

Okami Uploader
joined Aug 1, 2013

Unrequited love everywhere

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I don't know if they are back in print, but I just went to the Seven Seas website and came across these links to MacMillan Publishers (I guess they are associated with Seven Seas):
http://us.macmillan.com/thelastuniformvol1/MeraHakamada#buy-the-book
http://us.macmillan.com/thelastuniformvol2/MeraHakamada#buy-the-book
where the books were both listed for $11.99. I'd say definitely worth getting.

Thanks for the tip silveraven19.

They may list that price on their website, but if you actually follow the links (the drop down) those prices aren't actually available anywhere. B&N is willing to sell you them for $54 or various prices used and no one else has them at all. So that's not actually a thing or I would get them.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

They may list that price on their website, but if you actually follow the links (the drop down) those prices aren't actually available anywhere. B&N is willing to sell you them for $54 or various prices used and no one else has them at all. So that's not actually a thing or I would get them.

Hmm. I poked around and it seems you are right. It seems that this Macmillan Publishers doesn't even have them (at least I couldn't find a link to actually buy them). They were at B&N, Amazon and I think one other, with mostly high prices.

That means that Amazon.com is still the best bet. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The%20Last%20uniform

Current prices for used copies start at $4.84 for volume 1 (there were 5 copies at $10 or less), and $38.75 for volume 2. Volume 1 is somewhat cheaper than the last time I checked, but volume 2 is much more expensive than the last time.

My usual trick if I'm not willing to pay the prices offered, is to check back every once in a while. Eventually, you might get a better price (as has happened with volume 1 here). If you want it now, the prices above seem to be about the best option. Sorry.

Edit: One more time. As far as I can tell, only B&N and Amazon have copies. Amazon as noted above. At B&N for volume 1, I found one used copy for $4.99, and several more much pricier. For Volume 2, B&N had a $29.99 used copy, and more that were pricier. If you check places like ebay, they may have them too.

last edited at Jun 14, 2014 1:58AM

417506_490968200913530_1320006850_n
joined Jun 8, 2013

GREAT WORK!! somehow i can see the picture just by reading the summary

Unrequited love everywhere

i don't know why but i'm a fan of unrequited love (ʃ_⌣̀ )/| (ɔˆ ³(ˆ⌣ˆc)

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Hmm. I poked around and it seems you are right. It seems that this Macmillan Publishers doesn't even have them (at least I couldn't find a link to actually buy them). They were at B&N, Amazon and I think one other, with mostly high prices.

That means that Amazon.com is still the best bet. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The%20Last%20uniform

Current prices for used copies start at $4.84 for volume 1 (there were 5 copies at $10 or less), and $38.75 for volume 2. Volume 1 is somewhat cheaper than the last time I checked, but volume 2 is much more expensive than the last time.

My usual trick if I'm not willing to pay the prices offered, is to check back every once in a while. Eventually, you might get a better price (as has happened with volume 1 here). If you want it now, the prices above seem to be about the best option. Sorry.

Edit: One more time. As far as I can tell, only B&N and Amazon have copies. Amazon as noted above. At B&N for volume 1, I found one used copy for $4.99, and several more much pricier. For Volume 2, B&N had a $29.99 used copy, and more that were pricier. If you check places like ebay, they may have them too.

It still seems a bit odd that copyrights are being invoked in an instance where the only options are more expensive, inferior (the $4 book on B&B is listed as creased and the more expensive ones are worse) used copies. I'm not sure who they're supposed to be helping at this point. It certainly isn't the original author or even the publisher.

joined Aug 20, 2013

I actually bought the first 2 volumes from a manga store while I was in holiday in Sydney, Australia. Been sitting on my bookshelf for about 7 or 8 years now Lol. It's a good story I like it I am happy the recent chapters are being translated.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

It still seems a bit odd that copyrights are being invoked in an instance where the only options are more expensive, inferior (the $4 book on B&B is listed as creased and the more expensive ones are worse) used copies. I'm not sure who they're supposed to be helping at this point. It certainly isn't the original author or even the publisher.

I don't know about other scanlation groups, but until they are no longer listed on the Seven Seas webpage, or until someone can show me that the license is no longer valid, I'm not touching them. Besides, you never know, if this scanlation happened to become popular enough, they might even pick it back up and do a 3 volume omnibus (since they already have the first two). Well I can hope anyway.

Edit: And its worth noting that the second edition of this title has been relatively recently published in Japan (in two volumes with new special chapters). I can immediately think of one case where a manga has been republished in America after the second edition came out in Japan (Sailor Moon). Of course the first publishing of that one sold much better in America than this one.

last edited at Jun 15, 2014 1:57AM

[anon]_zoku_sayonara_zetsubou_sensei_-_06_[ef044889].mkv_snapshot_14.45_[2013.11.19_22.41.04]
joined Oct 24, 2013

So, I asked Seven Seas if a reprint is possible, and they answered that they no longer have the license. You can see the question and answer on their tumblr page (yeah, I know, tumblr).

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

our copyright laws are terribly broken.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

So, I asked Seven Seas if a reprint is possible, and they answered that they no longer have the license. You can see the question and answer on their tumblr page (yeah, I know, tumblr).

http://sevenseasentertainment.tumblr.com/post/89176195985/any-chance-of-the-last-uniform-volumes-1-and-2

what a mess.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

http://sevenseasentertainment.tumblr.com/post/89176195985/any-chance-of-the-last-uniform-volumes-1-and-2

Seems like someone has shown me that their license is no longer valid.

or until someone can show me that the license is no longer valid,

So this means, if nothing changes, I probably will scanlate these two volumes at some point. I will probably use my second edition for it, but I'll consider ordering used copies of the first edition from Japan.

My inclination is to finish the third volume, since it is in progress, before going back to the first two volumes. Comments are welcome on this plan.

Edit: Sorry it took me about a month to notice these posts.

last edited at Jul 20, 2014 12:46AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.