Forum › Under the Moonlit Night discussion

joined Jul 22, 2014

I feel like it’s okay to have multiple loves over the course of one’s life. Think about how wonderful it would be to find multiple soulmates, and to love each of them for several decades.

So true, from teenage to elderly, bet their human partners would help select the elf's next lover and so on.
It may be bittersweet but its life for elves loving humans.

last edited at Sep 23, 2023 6:33AM

Img_5033%204
joined Jan 18, 2021

There are so many gaps, without explanation, in the story line that I feel this is a teaser to see if it should be serialized. That, of course, gives us the option for the search for immortality.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I feel like it’s okay to have multiple loves over the course of one’s life. Think about how wonderful it would be to find multiple soulmates, and to love each of them for several decades.

There's an anthology on Mangadex where one of the stories actually touches on this idea.

The anthology as a whole is Het, but this specific story is Yuri. Sadly only four pages, but ah well, it's still sweet.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/33a19a6c-d22f-4f18-83ff-f4a466c23759

last edited at Sep 23, 2023 10:40AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Bittersweet to be sure, but I think more so sweet imo

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

This deserves to be a full series not a one shot

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Heck, I'll take a yuri version of LOTR any day !

I suppose the One Ring would extend her lifespan . . .

joined May 3, 2014

Bittersweet to be sure, but I think more so sweet imo

bro, is more tragic that bittersweet! LET ALONE SWEET she is already thinking of her death and the reason she can’t live with her in the castle cuz she will rather see her lover less that to be reminded how little time she has on earth next to her Queen!

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

Heck, I'll take a yuri version of LOTR any day !

I suppose the One Ring would extend her lifespan . . .

No, it would stretch it til every waking moment was a burden. She would become a wraith, a fate far worse than Death (Eru's Gift to Men).

Were this a tale in Middle Earth, is almost 100% a certainty to go badly for the Elf queen. Presumably she would not be one of the Eldar, but one of the Avari. Her blonde hair makes her one of the exceedingly rare ones in fact (and no, Legolas Greenleaf did NOT have blonde hair, Jackson completely f'ed that up). Almost no Elf outside of those with Minyar (aka Vanyar) blood had blonde hair. Assuming she were Avarin (ie - a Silvan Elf), she likely remained in Middle Earth after the last of the Quendi to depart sailed to Aman with Cirdan the Shipwright. And no, she doesn't get the 'I'm one of the Peredhil' excuses, cause any non-Melian derived Half-Elves all died as mortals: the children of Imrazôr the Numenorean (first Prince of Dol Amroth) and the Silvan Elf Mithrellas come immediately to mind.

Elves mate for life and only a handful of exceptions have ever been recorded. Fëanor's mother, Miriel, dying early being the first such instance of a husband deprived of his mate so early in his life that he was given dispensation to marry again as Miriel refused to be reembodied because of the drain birthing Fëanor.

Assuming she lived in grief, she might very well die from it. That presents a problem: Elves are immortal within the confines of Arda, unlike Men who die and pass to somewhere only Mandos and Manwë know. As in their spirit will remain in Arda until its end. When they die, which was never supposed to happen until Morgoth (ie - Satan) screwed things up, they are summoned to The Halls of Mandos. However, they can refuse such a summons, which leaves their spirits (called The Houseless) open to the corruption caused by Morgoth. The Barrow-Wights were inhabited by such spirits of Elves. The Dead Men of Dunharrow and The Nazgul (and those few Wraiths like them) are literally the only exceptions to the Doom of Men. Every other Undead in Middle Earth is either some fell spirit or an Elf who perished and refused The Summons.

There is a reason Elves and Men almost never pair-bonded in Tolkien's legendarium. Its not to say they didn't, but almost every last pairing (or potential pairing) ended in tragedy for someone (usually both lovers). And that is the tragedy of Tolkien's work.

[This has been your overly pedantic essay on how Elves and Men in Middle Earth make terrible couples]

To reply you must either login or sign up.