Forum › Everyday Monster Girls discussion

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

^ Nice.

Never thought I would be so hyped for a harem.

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

http://monmusu.tv/

PV is out.

It looks good, although I've imagined the voices of the girls different.

Agreed. I always imagined Miia to sound a little bit "smokey", more... hm... seductive. Guess that's just my image of a lamia.

I wish it had yuri, btw...

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Can anybody explain the appeal to me? Just cause there's monster girls?
I watched the PV and it looks like just another harem to me. Which obviously isn't a good thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Can anybody explain the appeal to me? Just cause there's monster girls?
I watched the PV and it looks like just another harem to me. Which obviously isn't a good thing.

Let's be honest, for a considerable amount of people is just the fanservice. But undeneath there's a pretty good comedy (helped in no small amount for how endearing the characters are) Plus, the author has a knack for explaining in very plausible manner the biology and implications of monster girls in real life

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So it's just another moderately likeable women fall in love with useless dude thing? Sounds like I'd hate it.
Oh well, thanks for the explanation.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I don't remember the protagonist being useless like in other harems, from what I remember he's one of the rare good protagonist in harem, but it's been some time since I read it, what others think about the protagonist?

last edited at May 22, 2015 12:09PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I don't remember the protagonist being useless like in other harems, from what I remember he's one of the rare good protagonist in harem, but it's been some time since I read it, what others think about the protagonist?

You're absolutely correct. Kimihito is pretty distinctive because he's pretty damn active and with tons of initiative. Not fearing nor minding about his own safety if the girls are in trouble.

The girls fall in love with him by that reason and because unlike nearly other human on the manga, he doesn't treat them any different to a normal human girl and is pretty attentive towards their needs.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

You're absolutely correct. Kimihito is pretty distinctive because he's pretty damn active and with tons of initiative. Not fearing nor minding about his own safety if the girls are in trouble.

The girls fall in love with him by that reason and because unlike nearly other human on the manga, he doesn't treat them any different to a normal human girl and is pretty attentive towards their needs.

It's that unlike nearly any other human part that annoys me.

joined Mar 23, 2013

It's that unlike nearly any other human part that annoys me.

Humans are xenophobic, racist and stereotyping each other. Now you have these weird humanoid creatures and not-so humanoid in some instances, is that so surprising?

I'm surprised humans have not waged war on them and acquired their land.

Also the protag isn't useless.

last edited at May 22, 2015 12:39PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Well, i guess I worded that poorly.

See, aside of the few chararcters meant to be full-blown villians, the rest of the humans depicted (aside of the main characters) are more than, well, racists; are insensitive. They see the monster part first and foremost and don't give a lot of attention to the girl part.

In Kimihito's case, they are girls first and monster later. And even then, that is mostly due their unique necessities.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, doesn't really matter if he's useless or just average, I read the first 10 pages and well... yeah. Harems need to do or be something special for me to like them and EMG just seems like fanservice harem #2932421.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Well, doesn't really matter if he's useless or just average, I read the first 10 pages and well... yeah. Harems need to do or be something special for me to like them and EMG just seems like fanservice harem #2932421.

That's an extremely odd statement. In the first ten pages:

-there's absolutely NO reason to think the series will develop into an Harem

-is purely introducing the characters

-We are presented straight away to a Lamia and the "Rules" of their biology, setting the story apart of other in the genre

-The world building starts in full by the page 19 or so.

joined Mar 23, 2013

-We are presented straight away to a Lamia and the "Rules" of their biology, setting the story apart of other in the genre

If you did not know before, Gengar is not really objective when it comes to content that he/she does not particurlary enjoy. Which is totally fine, people who waste time on things they don't like are wasting precious time that never comes back.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Don't think he meant literally ten pages.

I'm not shocked that humans are portrayed as less than accepting, nor does that bother me. It's that the main character seems set up to be generic.

I've never been fussed by the usefulness of a character. What really bored me in one is the nice understanding guy archetype. It's never engaged me at all. Particularly when it's a harem.

One of my favourite anime characters ever is Lelouch, despite his Harem, because the character was interesting. The one described here is not, because that trait I've shown myself to be annoyed at.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Don't think he meant literally ten pages.

I'm not shocked that humans are portrayed as less than accepting, nor does that bother me. It's that the main character seems set up to be generic.

I've never been fussed by the usefulness of a character. What really bored me in one is the nice understanding guy archetype. It's never engaged me at all. Particularly when it's a harem.

One of my favourite anime characters ever is Lelouch, despite his Harem, because the character was interesting. The one described here is not, because that trait I've shown myself to be annoyed at.

This not even a fair comparaison, the harem in CG is not an incredibly important factor while here it is. Plus Lelouch is kind of generic, he died a virgin while having a harem ( lol ).

Rather than generic I'd say this MC is ordinary. He lives a normal life, like a normal person.
If you took my life and added girls, all you would see is "eat, work, sleep" which is exactly what almost everyone does.

Your problem is probably not the character but rather the setting, there isn't any war going on, no great quest or goal. It's just folks living their lives one day at a time.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Probably not the best comparison, but surely you know my feelings towards harems in general make it a pertinent point that tere can be a harem without my hate.

The everyday guy thing is boring. No offence, if I took your life and made it a manga i wouldn't be interested. And I swear I've seen the normal nice guy harem thing way too often.

I don't think I'm articulating myself all that well because my mind is half here, half trying to conquer Carthage without feeling bad because I allied them, so I think I'll leave this mess of a train of thought here.

last edited at May 22, 2015 1:16PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Personally, I love the normalness of Kimihito, specially for how he deals with all the implications and risks that come on a world were monsters exist and are considered part of the society.

joined Mar 23, 2013

The everyday guy thing is boring. No offence, if I took your life and made it a manga i wouldn't be interested.

I guess it depends on much a person like SoLs. Myself I don't like it that much, unless there's a few cool things that makes the day to day a bit more bearable to read.

Like in this case, I don't really read this anymore. But I can still see the qualities in the work that I just don't care for to read.

This is the same reason why I don't watch any SoLs like Non Non Biyori and all those yuri subtext animes a lot of folks here seem to really enjoy. I just don't enjoy the hijinks and characters being retardedly funny, in fact I pretty much have to cover my face because I feel embarassed for them. This the same reason why I don't watch any reality TV. Them "being cute" does not work for me.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Personally, I love the normalness of Kimihito, specially for how he deals with all the implications and risks that come on a world were monsters exist and are considered part of the society.

Personally, I think it's quite often a lottery how quickly we take with something. I so often see and find myself seeing the same thing in two places without too great a tangible difference and liking each one hugely differently. I think I'll just put this down as a case of that.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Well, it says so in the tags.

It didn't even introduce anything except for the fact that Snakelady is madly in love with MC-kun. What it introduced was what kind of fanservice I can expect which was enough for me to just stop reading.

And that's the problem, something considered normal (or a nice touch at most) in every genre is suddenly something that sets it apart when it happens in harem.

Doesn't get me anything if I get annoyed before it happens.

If you did not know before, Gengar is not really objective when it comes to content that he/she does not particurlary enjoy. Which is totally fine, people who waste time on things they don't like are wasting precious time that never comes back.

Well, obviously. Objectivity doesn't really do anything in explaining why I hate something. I'm not saying you can't like it, if you get your laughs out of Snakelady cumming because MC-kun rubbed her tail, then go for it I guess. To me humor and fanservice like that is just anoying though.
Also, I checked and it was literally 10 pages.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

The everyday guy thing is boring. No offence, if I took your life and made it a manga i wouldn't be interested.

I guess it depends on much a person like SoLs. Myself I don't like it that much, unless there's a few cool things that makes the day to day a bit more bearable to read.

Like in this case, I don't really read this anymore. But I can still see the qualities in the work that I just don't care for to read.

This is the same reason why I don't watch any SoLs like Non Non Biyori and all those yuri subtext animes a lot of folks here seem to really enjoy. I just don't enjoy the hijinks and characters being retardedly funny, in fact I pretty much have to cover my face because I feel embarassed for them. This the same reason why I don't watch any reality TV. Them "being cute" does not work for me.

I don't understand how things went to slice of life here.
If I'm not wrong, here ChocolateCakeLover point was that he didn't like the basic and boring normal, nice and understanding main character that all harem manga have. (with of course him being forced in suggestive and naughty situation). That have nothing to do with slice of life, only harem (and sometime adventure shounen).

It not really about everyday life being boring, it's about a boring main character whose only reaction and character trait is being uninterestingly nice and understanding.

last edited at May 22, 2015 2:05PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

I'm giving trafi friend points.

But c'mon trafi, with me commenting how could you expect anyone to stay on topic?

last edited at May 22, 2015 2:04PM

joined Mar 23, 2013

I don't understand how things went to slice of life here.
If I'm not wrong, here ChocolateCakeLover point was that he didn't like the basic and boring normal, nice and understanding main character that all harem manga have. (with of course him being forced in suggestive and naughty situation). That have nothing to do with slice of life, only harem (and sometime adventure shounen).

A harem which is about living together with girls and their daily life clearly is SoL as well. You can't say this manga is only a harem, that would be incorrect. Thus I explained some of my reasons for not reading this in the form of other SoLs and why I don't really read them as well.

It not really about everyday life being boring, it's about a boring main character whose only reaction and character trait is being uninterestingly nice and understanding.

Actually he said he would not watch my life, my only traits are not just nice and understanding thank you very much =P.
But I am boring, in the sense I do nothing that many other people don't do as well. But hey, it's not my fault I don't have superpowers :(

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

What do you mean not your fault? I gave myself superpowers when I was ten, what's your excuse?

joined Mar 23, 2013

What do you mean not your fault? I gave myself superpowers when I was ten, what's your excuse?

Yes the superpower of delusion, what a great power.

To reply you must either login or sign up.