Forum › Yurucamp discussion

joined Dec 4, 2016

Subtext at the same level as K-ON okay(which is almost non existent). But it's delusional if you think any of girls will end as gay couple, in your headcanon maybe.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

No shit, Sherlock. Even if they were gay for each other, it's not the centre of the story, so of course it won't happen. That said, it's also the case with all those CGDCT with even more subtext or blatant yuri crush.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Anime finally overcoming the manga.

Shimarin was so fluffy in last episode

last edited at Feb 16, 2018 4:48PM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

It was wonderfully comfy, and seemed to have a few important plot developments too!

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I am literally only saying that it's nice for something that's part of a genre defined by sameyness and tropes to do something different, and since it's rare to see explicitly non-flirtatious friendship in a genre dominated by not-that, I admire the series for it and think it's refreshing even though I'm a fan of yuri.

Don't be antagonistic. I can like several sorts of things. Hell, while this is a "yuri site" it's not even like all the series here are yuri. Basically, I like that the series swerved my expectations for it and did so in a way that was nice. It's the same reason I also enjoy Harumin and Yuzu's relationship in Citrus. It's a completely platonic friendship that foregoes teasing between the main character and her best friend. Hell it's eventually even pointed out explicitly with a character's introduction who sees their friendship as something romantic rather than purely "I like you a lot, but don't want to lick you or kiss you, I just really enjoy being around you". This sounds familiar.

edit: OH YEAH

It's nice having a series about girls that doesn't suggest they want romance or sex from one another, just friendship.

This sentence sounded like you thought that suggesting that female characters "want romance or sex from one another" was the norm in any kind of "series". You didn't specify with anything. Just "a series". So it sounded absurdly out of touch. But now I understand that you didn't mean that because you specified after I confronted you.

a series about girls
about girls
You didn't specify with anything. Just "a series"

uhh

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 6:08AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Lol, you all need to chill. Who care if believe there is subtext or not, or who ship who with who, you don't need to call people delusional or something else over this, especially for a series as comfy as this one.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who is convinced that the drunk teacher's brother is actually a woman right ?

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

They're sisters.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Anyway, I'm not the only one who is convinced that the drunk teacher's brother is actually a woman right ?

I thought so too in the manga at first, until the translation said "he", I was a bit surprised. In the anime, the voice sounds like a young boy voice, though.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Again, they're sisters. The translation was right, just under the assumption that she was a he. That's the joke.

"Spoilers": https://i.imgur.com/2f4KFnu.jpg

joined Jun 12, 2015

Yeah, I thought it was something like that

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Jeez, please spoiler spoilers

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

"Spoilers": https://i.imgur.com/2f4KFnu.jpg

It was very clear to me even before seeing this.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Still think the stars date they had was damn romantic though...

Apart by space but is connected by the stars. While longing of each other.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

That's an incredibly common motif of anything from friendship to romance to familial bonds.

In fact, the most famous use of the idea at least in modern day is probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iRdgGZ6Xc

Not that I want to start an argument. I'm admittedly frustrated mainly because it's like
-recognize that a series is subversive on near all levels
-gotta bring down one of its best levels (rare exploration of friendship) to the standards of the genre cause omg lilies <3

I guess although I'm way into yuri, I cannot be way into shipping. Either it's real or teased, or I ain't havin' it. Bah humbug

joined Jun 12, 2015

I don't think there is anything remotely romantic right now, but I still think they are in the kind of friendship that can easily end in a romance down the line, especially compared to all the other relationship of the manga. At the very least, them getting together is more realistic than Nadeshiko becoming CEO of a multinational making flying tent lol.

And I will be honest, if you are bothered by this much shipping here, I don't know how you managed to survive any fandom in the internet. There is so much, much, much worse than this. At least there is no shipping wars here

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Well Blax most things aren't THAT good (I really love Yuru Camp, I think it's absolutely one of the best out there), so I can accept a lot in most cases. Most series and franchises do have room for people to ship (though "crack" shipping gets me in any series; I simply don't get why you'd pair characters who have never met, for instance) and I have nothing to get bothered over. Like, why would I read... hmm... O/A (<-- good shit!), which is also a series that isn't yuri but features a primarily female cast, and then get annoyed if someone paired the two main characters? In the case of that series there's actually a wee bit of subtext and, eh, you could see something gay happening. Always, my willingness to accept something is based on just how believable it would seem within the canon.

Like I've said with Yuru Camp, I love it so much for specific reasons that I think those reasons getting ignored is "troubling", to put it lightly. The more people who recognize that it did something different and should be praised for that, the better. The more people wanting to pull it into the same realm from which it escaped -- standards of the genre -- the worse. Because "different and well executed" is great. "Same and well executed" is also good, of course (I wouldn't read yuri and SoL so much otherwise) it's just not as notable.

Anyway to be honest I've never seen Nadeshiko's relationship with Rin to be much more significant than Rin's relationship with Ena. Even though Nadeshiko and Rin share a hobby, Rin and Ena have been friends for longer, actually do hang out more, chat a lot, and have a SUPERB rapport. There are moments Rin thinks of Ena fondly as well like she does with Ena. Of course, Ena's a sweetheart. But, I will stop my gushing here. POINT IS: I'm a curmudgeon who has put the series on a pedestal and that's that.

edit: o-one more thing though
I just wanna say that my interest in this manga for its portrayal of friendship actually goes beyond "it's different from what CGDCT series usually do". In fact, friendship just isn't something strongly explored often in manga (at least among what I've read, and I've definitely read a lot). O/A that I mentioned is another good one that really thoroughly examines a friendship. The idea of two people liking each other so much platonically without blood or romantic bonds is a testament to how incredible human relationships can be. Even in something like One Piece, "friendship" almost becomes a superficial throwaway to say "I think you're cool" or "we're friends so we fight for each other". Simplifying it sure, but I can't think of very many series where the friends have genuine rapport, you honestly get the impression that they enjoy being around one another, there's a strong sense of trust etc. I like when I find that so much I have a "friendship (no really)) tag for it on my manga review blog. Yuru Camp is one of those series where you can definitely tell these girls are friends (all of them!), without anything hinting at more. That's so nice to see... in my opinion at least. Friendship isn't as immediately engaging to people as romance or rivalry or something, and I get the feeling it's more difficult to write (boiling most often down to "this character is the best friend" or in the case of battle manga "FRIENDSHIP!!"). This is probably why I think it's rare to see.

last edited at Mar 28, 2018 8:18AM

joined Dec 4, 2016

I think the hate for crack shipping is partly because some simply prefer the main ship and anything else is a heresy! I don't need excuse to like any shipping but crack shipping are great because you simply rely on personalities and traits dynamic between characters and not always rely on their pre established story.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

If it's "crack" the idea is "this doesn't actually make any sense, are you on crack?" right? I'm not referring to.. I dunno, something like pairing the loser of a harem with the MC (who canonically gets with the generic main female lead). I'm referring to pairing characters like Seija and Nue in Touhou, two characters who have never even spoken (one of whom hates basically everything, the other tries to stay hidden as much as possible).

joined Dec 4, 2016

Both, I think people ship Seija x Nue based on their personality, traits and the possibility of interesting dinamic between them. It doesn't make sense(for some), so what? as long the ship fun It's dumb to just stick with boring canon.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

boring canon.

Whoa. Insulting.

joined Jun 12, 2015

You are all losing me with these crack ship discussion so I will just go in quietly in the corner while browsing cute Yurucamp fan art and hoping we get a second season in a few years... Nadeshiko x Rin forever ! run away

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I believe I have pretty good gaydar, and it now officially confirm that Rin is totally gay toward Nadeshiko. With 95% certainty

Not sure if it’s two-ways yet, and I can’t say the same toward any other pairings in this manga. But it takes more than just friendship for an individual like Rin (who I am so familiar with) to break off her old habit and her own character, and expose herself outside of her comfort zone several times through the series.

And the way that she was totally fascinated with Nadeshiko regardless of location, or the time of the day. And how she constantly made excuses to be in contact, and hang out with Nadeshiko, even go out of her ways several times, while very sceptical to do the same with anyone else. That is a strong sign

last edited at Apr 9, 2018 3:43AM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

SiberOwl returns, woohoo! It was touch and go for a few chapters there. One quick correction for the soon to be camping enthusiasts out there, that's an iron skillet in chapter 13 rather than a steel one. Steel ones are your standard pans and can be prepared and cleaned as normal, but the iron ones need all that care. They last forever though, mine is 60 years old and looks brand new.

joined Mar 3, 2017

Anyone else get sleepy while reading this? It’s super relaxing…

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

i was reading the official tl of ch.10 and something hit my goggles

last edited at Jun 16, 2018 6:50AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.