Forum › Weeds on the Wayside discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Ugh, these "Maiden's Cake" stories are all so depressing, and the girls never really get together. Although honestly a lot of early Yuri Hime stories are like that.

Underoneroof
joined Jan 17, 2014

sad

Yuri_Is_My_Lyfe
X
joined Feb 8, 2014

Ugh, these "Maiden's Cake" stories are all so depressing, and the girls never really get together. Although honestly a lot of early Yuri Hime stories are like that.

Thanks for saving me from reading the rest

joined Dec 18, 2014

Indeed

Po
joined Oct 29, 2014

Indeed

i wasn't so lucky i wish i would've read the comments 1st -_-

last edited at Jan 23, 2015 2:26AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think Maiden's Cake came along right at the end of the era where yuri stories were mostly inconclusive and you had to imagine the girls ended up together, or outright downers where they didn't or worse. Makes me grateful I'm reading when proper romances happen between girls and this sort of thing is the outlier.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

i suggest to read this book, and read some fluffy good ending after to clean the aftertaste, but these stories have their merits,

i use this reader from only 3/4 years, but i remember maiden's cake like one of the manga that "iniziated" me to the yuri,
i don't think is a "age" matter, the prticular feeling that i have from this autor, i did't find it anywhere, it's very unique, and i have some problem to image a romantic involvement with a satisfaing ending at the age of the characters of these stories.
i think the melancholy of this book is like the angst for a teen story, i can't explain better... but i think is wort of the time

Logo-ubuntu_st_no%c2%ae-white-hex
joined Apr 23, 2013

When Riyoko Ikeda is writing The Rose of Versailles / Oniisama E and the like, she writes in a context where gay couples are not tolerated in a social basis. The stable couple born out of romantic love is something that becomes much easier to understand and portray once you can actually form a stable couple with the person you love without social rejection. Aside of the possible issues with censorship, part of the reason why older stories tend to end in tragedy is that authors couldn't imagine what "happily ever after' looked like. The stories with which the authors and audiences could relate were heartbreak and pain. Look at the fictional literature about gay people in Western countries and you'll find a similar pattern. When Death in Venice is written, Thomas Mann knows that Tadzio and the noble guy can't end up together.

Obviously this is all before the commoditization of yuri for a fully different, mostly male audience.

Racing%20noz
joined May 19, 2016

Oh, I also "pretended" I liked girls, for the same reason the character did, when I was younger and people took it as a joke etc etc.

TURNS OUT I WAS NEVER PRETENDING AT ALL WHAT A PLOT TWIST!

To reply you must either login or sign up.