Forum › Shoujo-Ai vs. Yuri

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

And is Shoujo-Ai/Shounen-ai japanese terms or not? some say it is, some say it's made by westerners, I don't know anymore what to think about it.

And like before, maybe I said something stupid, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

From what I can tell, it's a term coined by westerners. It seems most japanese people use 百合 or GL (Most noticeable on pixiv).

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

And is Shoujo-Ai/Shounen-ai japanese terms or not? some say it is, some say it's made by westerners, I don't know anymore what to think about it.

And like before, maybe I said something stupid, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

From what I can tell, it's a term coined by westerners. It seems most japanese people use 百合 or GL (Most noticeable on pixiv).

I see, thanks, I have always being curious if it was made by japanese or westerners.

And do you have a bigger version of your avatar? I really liked it, but if I search on google the only result it show is your avatar, don't find any bigger version of it...

last edited at May 8, 2015 7:54PM

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

And do you have a bigger version of your avatar? I really liked it, but if I search on google the only result it show is your avatar, don't find any bigger version of it...

Yeah I have a bigger version. That's probably because I didn't post it anywhere else, so it doesn't exist anywhere but here on Dynasty.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Yeah I have a bigger version. That's probably because I didn't post it anywhere else, so it doesn't exist anywhere but here on Dynasty.

Thanks, so you're the one who made it? you use Deviantart?

last edited at May 8, 2015 8:19PM

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Every time you refer to something as shoujo-ai, Madoka kills a kitten. And pulls the no pillow on Homura.

Save the kittens. Save the HomuMado sex life. Don't say 'shoujo-ai'.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Every time you refer to something as shoujo-ai, Madoka kills a kitten. And pulls the no pillow on Homura.

Isn't Kaworu who likes to kill kittens?

last edited at May 8, 2015 8:23PM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Every time someone says, "Every time someone does something, god kills a kitten"... god makes a bunch of uncute killable kittens, or they'd be extinct by now.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

oh yeah god...

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

Yes and yes o_o.

Nooooo... the kittens! T_T

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Yes and yes o_o.

Link to it please, I will stalk you and everything you make.

last edited at May 8, 2015 9:30PM

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

Shoujo Ai is a Western invention to separate more physical (often sexual) lesbian romance and the more cutesy lesbian romance. There's no real benefit to separating it but some people are really anal about it for one reason or another.
In reality though it's just Yuri, period.

last edited at May 8, 2015 9:29PM

lildevilinhell
Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

Yes and yes o_o.

That's... scary

Jokes aside, I prefer not to post the link to my deviantArt here ^-^'.
If possible I would PM you instead.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Yes and yes o_o.

That's... scary

Jokes aside, I prefer not to post the link to my deviantArt here ^-^'.
If possible I would PM you instead.

Not a problem, we can do that using irc here on Dynasty, I'm using the same name there.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Shoujo Ai is not a thing, it's a term created and used by westerners.

From what I've heard it actually isn't a western term but western use of it is almost as far from the original term as you can get. My understanding of the term is that it specifically refers to yuri involving lolis.

I read it here, that it was a term created by Americans to be specific, accurate or not, I don't know. http://www.yuricon.com/what-is-yuricon/#whatisyuri

I can't even find where I remember reading it anymore (it was a scanlator's Tumblr blog) so it's completely possible I'm just misinformed. After learning it's not even a valid term to use when referring to yuri I didn't bother looking into it any further.

no girls = loli not lolicon=pedo

Lolicon is liking little girls.

Shotacon is liking little boys.

Both are what you'd call pedo in the west.

Shoujo ai is not a Japanese term for either in the first place.

I know what lolicon stems from (as Thiaguinho-sama actually explained shortly after this post) but where does the "shota" in shotacon come from? I've never even thought about it until just now.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

I know what lolicon stems from (as Thiaguinho-sama actually explained shortly after this post) but where does the "shota" in shotacon come from? I've never even thought about it until just now.

• Shotacon = is a Japanese slang portmanteau of the phrase Shotaro complex, is a reference to the young male character Shotaro from Tetsujin 28-go (reworked in English as Gigantor).

Thanks wikipedia! ins't that cheating...?

last edited at May 8, 2015 11:07PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

• Shotacon = is a Japanese slang portmanteau of the phrase Shotaro complex, is a reference to the young male character Shotaro from Tetsujin 28-go (reworked in English as Gigantor).

Regardless of whether it's cheating, I have to give you credit for getting past Bulbapedia.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

For some reason I didn't even consider the possibility Wikipedia would have that info, lol. Whoops! And that means both lolicon and shotacon stem from specific characters in a book/series then? That's actually a little bit odd in my opinion.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

For some reason I didn't even consider the possibility Wikipedia would have that info, lol. Whoops! And that means both lolicon and shotacon stem from specific characters in a book/series then? That's actually a little bit odd in my opinion.

Even if it's odd it's not really unexpected, we have Elektra/Oedipus Complex, why Lolicon/Shotacon would be any different.

Regardless of whether it's cheating, I have to give you credit for getting past Bulbapedia.

Already gone there sometimes, good times.

last edited at May 8, 2015 11:40PM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

The only place I've seen "shoujo-ai" actively maintained is MyAnimeList, where the fact that yuri is yuri was brushed off by the admins as "Not on MAL". With one of the largest databases on the web insisting so damn hard on being wrong, it's no surprise people think it's a thing.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

The Shoujo Ai tag is used on almost every non yuri reader as well. Even Batoto is using it...

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

The Shoujo Ai tag is used on almost every non yuri reader as well. Even Batoto is using it...

Yeah, like Murcielago. I've seen websites tag Murciel' shoujo-ai AND yuri. Like, WTF? Can't even use their own made up word right. But, I mean, these websites don't even know to difference between asking for and stealing people's translations, so it ain't a surprise they don't know what "yuri" means

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

In regards to what the other websites tags, Shoujo-ai seems to be really innocent to the point of not even having kisses or anything, the moment it gets more "interesting" it's tagged Yuri
But whatever, i never liked the term Shoujo-ai to begin with

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

In regards to what the other websites tags, Shoujo-ai seems to be really innocent to the point of not even having kisses or anything, the moment it gets more "interesting" it's tagged Yuri
But whatever, i never liked the term Shoujo-ai to begin with

On batoto the two seems to be tagged without any rules and are often tagged together... ._.

last edited at May 9, 2015 2:27PM

AnAsianBrony
Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I always had the understanding that people consider shoujo-ai the pure stuff and yuri to be... well, potentially hard yuri :P At least, that's what it seems like from what I've witnessed.

In a way, I can kind of understand if people want a way to tell the difference between hard yuri and pure (assuming they haven't discovered the NSFW tag yet, lmao), but I personally never use the term shoujo-ai. Yuri or go home ;D

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

Shoujo Ai is just yuri without sex, it has nothing to do with pure.
The term was coined to separate hentai content from non hentai content, but it really is redundant because the whole goal of the word yuri is to say there's lesbians in it, you can just use a hentai tag afterwards if there's sex or ecchi if it's slightly more explicit, but to use the word shoujo ai which is just girls love is completely redundant.
And if you're going to say it's for those more undertone things, well that's called yuri subtext or undertone. You don't go around inventing different romance genres depending on the amount of romance do you?
Shoujo Ai is a redundant genre that really needs to stop being used, just use yuri if there's two girls in love or don't if there's not, there can be varying degrees of yuri but there's certainly not some point where you have to call it shoujo ai instead.

last edited at May 9, 2015 11:14PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.