Forum › Near Yet Far discussion

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

"Step-siblings can get married."

... what?

joined Sep 6, 2018

... what?

Their divorced parents, at least the ones who have custody of them, are getting married. It’s like the “Brady Bunch”-Yuri style.

I’d watch that for a dollar! (OG Robocop reference)

joined Sep 6, 2018

Cute one-shot. The four-eyes is a little clueless, but given enough time and help, she’ll learn the ropes to a relationship.

816lwpeqwgl._ac_uf894,1000_ql80_
joined Sep 22, 2021

Very wholesome

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I feel with the glasses girl. not really into romance and love as a concept myself, but living with another person you really like sounds big fun

joined Sep 6, 2018

Just got a bit of confusion: the girl with the cut hair, is she “transgender” or “tomboy” because she identifies herself as “Boku” which in Japanese means “I” for males. Anyone noticed that, too?

It’s kinda nice to know the boundary or threshold between those two tags. I mean, “Kase-san and Yamada” manga has a tomboy character, but she hasn’t identified herself as a guy. If it’s just a small thing as being socially identified as whatever they pick rather than going through the arduous phenotype changes, I’d like to know.

last edited at May 22, 2022 1:50AM

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Just got a bit of confusion: the girl with the cut hair, is she “transgender” or “tomboy” because she identifies herself as “Boku” which in Japanese means “I” for males. Anyone noticed that, too?

It’s kinda nice to know the boundary or threshold between those two tags. I mean, “Kase-san and Yamada” manga has a tomboy character, but she hasn’t identified herself as a guy. If it’s just a small thing as being socially identified as whatever they pick rather than going through the arduous phenotype changes, I’d like to know.

I’m pretty sure she’s not transgender. She was using male terminology in the hopes that her friend would see her as more masculine (and thus attractive), but there’s no indication that she actually thinks of herself as a man. Pretty sure it’s just an attempt at seduction.

joined Sep 6, 2018

I’m pretty sure she’s not transgender. She was using male terminology in the hopes that her friend would see her as more masculine (and thus attractive), but there’s no indication that she actually thinks of herself as a man. Pretty sure it’s just an attempt at seduction.

Ok, not transgender, so why not the “tomboy” tag? She did say on same page she suppressed her femininity by cutting her hair. Does she have to do more than cutting her hair to get the “tomboy” tag?

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Because that wasn't a result of her hobbies and natural inclinations, she was just trying to get four eyes' attention.

last edited at Jul 21, 2022 9:41PM

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

... what?

Japan has a law like that for sake of business succession.

What usually happens is the guy who marries into a business family becomes a family member at the same time they are getting married, as adopted son of that family. Business adoption.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Because that wasn't a result of her hobbies and natural inclinations, she was just trying to get for eyes' attention.

Ok. Got it. Thank you.

joined Sep 6, 2018

... what?

Japan has a law like that for sake of business succession.

What usually happens is the guy who marries into a business family becomes a family member at the same time they are getting married, as adopted son of that family. Business adoption.

That’s a unique twist on becoming a vested shareholder. A family business staying small enough to stay private, but entice top workers with inheritance bonuses and generous family gifts on the holidays. That sort of stuff isn’t taxed… Pretty clever.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

... what?

It's not really unique to Japan either, you can do that here in Germany too. Or in the USA for that matter, seems p common overall.

joined Aug 21, 2017

... what?

It's not really unique to Japan either, you can do that here in Germany too. Or in the USA for that matter, seems p common overall.

I guess step-siblings don't have to worry too much about biological incest, so its legality is less of a concern.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

I guess step-siblings don't have to worry too much about biological incest, so its legality is less of a concern.

Gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone either. Doesn't mean it's legal everywhere. The point of written laws is that everyone has to refer to it when in doubt, not individual's common sense. Even collecting rainwater falling in your backyard might be illegal depend on where you live.

I mean, trans men identify as men, tomboys don't. What is there is to be confused about? Not to mention that they're not even in the same category. One is a gender identity, the other is just a superficial stereotype regarding appearance/style/behavior.

last edited at May 22, 2022 5:04AM

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

... what?

To be fair, the biological problems of incest are only a small issue. First you do not have to get pregnant if you have sex (protection does exist) and if we consider the possibility of bad genetics a problem then we have to ban sex between people who already have inheritable genetic diseases.

The big issue with incest is the power imbalance. Older sibling/younger sibling father/daughter aunt/young nephew etc.

joined Apr 20, 2021

This reminded me (if a bit more drama) of a manga where a girl mother divorced, moved in with her friend who also had a daughter and then they both ended up as pairs. Forgot the name of that one.

joined Jun 21, 2021

This reminded me (if a bit more drama) of a manga where a girl mother divorced, moved in with her friend who also had a daughter and then they both ended up as pairs. Forgot the name of that one.

I would love to know which manga that is, if anyone can help out. Sounds right up my alley.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

as i understand it, personal pronouns are more fluid in japanese anyway, at least in anime and manga, so it's possible a tomboy might use boku without it meaning they are trans, it's a 'masculine' thing but not necessarily a gender identity thing. it's associated with brash young girls i guess? though (and again this is just my understanding) an ordinary, adult woman in real life would basically never do this.

in this case i think she is just playing into heteronormative ideas about lesbian relationships that one should be 'the man', so she's presenting as more masculine and using boku to try to fulfil that role on the assumption that it will make her more attractive to her friend.

interestingly, we saw a related thing recently in "The Guy She Was Interested In..." where one mc never actually claims outright to be a guy, but does use 'boku' (and comments on it internally) and allows the other mc to believe she is one.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwww. I likey.

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Oh, an angst tag with a happy ending I like it.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

I would love to know which manga that is, if anyone can help out. Sounds right up my alley.

Yurikon, a marriage omnibus, specifically Chapter 3.

last edited at May 22, 2022 9:28AM

joined Jun 21, 2021

Yurikon, a marriage omnibus, specifically Chapter 3.

Ohh perfect, thanks a ton!

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

It should have been a series

Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

Nice one shot, that was great :>

To reply you must either login or sign up.