Forum › Our Echo (Pt. 1) discussion

TheEternalShade
20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

"A former yankee?"

Like...an American? Or is that some other slang I haven't come across yet? For some reason, it's just not registering for me.

Other than that one hangup on terminology, chapter 1 isn't bad; but I'll need to see more before I know if I'm in or not.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 2:02AM

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

"A former yankee?"

Like...an American? Or is that some other slang I haven't come across yet? For some reason, it's just not registering for me.

"Yankee" (ヤンキー) means " (juvenile) delinquent". It's what's referred to as "wasei eigo", i.e. loanwords from other languages that have a very specific meaning in Japanese but make little sense to someone who doesn't know how the word is used in Japan.

joined Jun 11, 2016

lol omg I want a big sister like Hibiki! Her sister is indeed very cute though!!

And damn, someone's gonna be beat up by Hibiki soon lol.

also wow there's still people being new to manga terms huh, I really didn't think that's possible.

@TheEternalShade: Other than that one hangup on terminology, chapter 1 isn't bad; but I'll need to see more before I know if I'm in or not.

this is just a two-shot, not a series.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 2:25AM

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

also wow there's still people being new to manga terms huh, I really didn't think that's possible.

I mean, you could... just translate it as "delinquent"? Everyone has a manga they read first and transliterating wasei eigo is just a confusing practice. Same thing goes for "ビッチ" (often just retranslated as "bitch", but the connotation in Japanese is "a loose woman/slut") and "フェミニスト" (also retranslated as "feminist", but it means "a man who is chivalrous" and has nothing to do with women's rights).

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 3:05AM

TheEternalShade
20230425_150259
joined Aug 25, 2021

"Yankee" (ヤンキー) means " (juvenile) delinquent". It's what's referred to as "wasei eigo", i.e. loanwords from other languages that have a very specific meaning in Japanese but make little sense to someone who doesn't know how the word is used in Japan.

Ah, that clears things up greatly. While I'm familiar with 和製英語, I've never heard that particular term before and your explanation cleared it up for me, so thank you! :D

Unfortunate. After reading chapter 2, I would absolutely be in for this for the long run.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Unfortunate. After reading chapter 2, I would absolutely be in for this for the long run.

Same, I'd be down to strap in for a continuation.

joined Mar 19, 2022

God, I need this to be a series. Preferably a romance as well.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I mean, you could... just translate it as "delinquent"? Everyone has a manga they read first and transliterating wasei eigo is just a confusing practice. Same thing goes for "ビッチ" (often just retranslated as "bitch", but the connotation in Japanese is "a loose woman/slut") and "フェミニスト" (also retranslated as "feminist", but it means "a man who is chivalrous" and has nothing to do with women's rights).

... yeah first time I encountered this term I was really confused too. Tell me whatever you want but I think leaving untranslated words like that is just bad translation.

To reply you must either login or sign up.