Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

And that would kind of be a decent idea, I guess. I reckon it's a different experience when you don't know some tragedy is coming, isn't it?

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

And that would kind of be a decent idea, I guess. I reckon it's a different experience when you don't know some tragedy is coming, isn't it?

Yep, but a lot of re-taging and questions raised.
For example, say I don't want to read tragedy, but I also don't want to show spoilers if it's not tragedy...what to do?

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 5:12PM

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

Re-tagging is a given, there's no way to decently automate the process.

As for the other issue, there's a number of solutions.

• Spoiler levels. Instead of binary "spoiler or not" flag, introduce several tiers of spoiling, e.g. 3 (following VNDB's example). Global spoiler setting would also carry on with that. Extremely simple to work with in terms of extending the original idea.
  • Spoiler tag white-/blacklist. You select tags that you (don't) want hidden regardless of your global spoiler setting. Slightly more complex - users gain at least one extra property, which means possibly parsing text to some extent. Simple to implement and extend, but has the worst performance compared to others, possibly. Still my favourite option, I think.
  • Spoiler areas. Similarly to levels, you indicate what kind of spoiler it is - does it relate to the story itself? To the genre? To the characters? Ultimately it's somewhat limited, and the potential implementation doesn't seem very promising (performance-wise) either. On the plus side, when combined with the others, could add a bit of the depth to the whole system. I doubt it's necessary though

EDIT: Also, it's been so many years since I saw Ozy and Millie. That was one fun story...

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 5:30PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014
  • Spoiler tag white-/blacklist. You select tags that you (don't) want hidden regardless of your global spoiler setting. Slightly more complex - users gain at least one extra property, which means possibly parsing text to some extent. Simple to implement and extend, but has the worst performance compared to others, possibly. Still my favourite option, I think.

What do you mean by worst performance? If you mean server performance, that's something that should be easily done on the client-side with some javascript. (Just modifying a given tag's display property.) Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by worst performance?

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

Ah, yes, I was thinking of static (server-side) solution. Treating spoilers dynamically (client-side) does sound a tad better, with the option to turn it off for the search without the need to reload the page. Of course, that leaves a question of how to keep the white/blacklist (which will need to be somehow parsed anyway) at hand without pulling it from the database every single time... but that's not an issue to be solved right now.

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 6:13PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I'm not really an experienced web developer so I don't know that it's an ideal solution but cookies could be used for that. I know some crappy forums use cookies to deal with thread subscriptions so I'd assume it could work just fine for something simpler like a white/blacklist.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I just had an odd issue with the search results page.

then on the next page:

That issue is on the top of page 5 of the search results for Hidamari for me. Weirdly none of those three tags on separate lines from the nearest chapter entry seem to be attached to those nearest chapters.

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

I'm not really an experienced web developer so I don't know that it's an ideal solution but cookies could be used for that. I know some crappy forums use cookies to deal with thread subscriptions so I'd assume it could work just fine for something simpler like a white/blacklist.

Yeah, there are two problems with cookies: they are local, and they expire.
The first problem means your settings won't necessarily carry over between your browsers or devices (or even after a format), unless something other than cookies is added to the mix. The second problem means that the cookie needs to be refreshed every so often... though I guess you can set a cookie to expire in 3000 years.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I just had an odd issue with the search results page.

then on the next page:

That issue is on the top of page 5 of the search results for Hidamari for me. Weirdly none of those three tags on separate lines from the nearest chapter entry seem to be attached to those nearest chapters.

That's not a issue, those are pairing tag's tagged with Hidamari Sketch. Much like how searching for Marisa will show you pairings with Marisa in them

...searching for Hidamari Sketch will also show you the pairings for that series.

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 7:11PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yeah, there are two problems with cookies: they are local, and they expire.
The first problem means your settings won't necessarily carry over between your browsers or devices (or even after a format), unless something other than cookies is added to the mix. The second problem means that the cookie needs to be refreshed every so often... though I guess you can set a cookie to expire in 3000 years.

That's fairly easy to solve. You have your black/whitelist on the server and retrieve it from there if the cookie is expired/non-existant and just have the cookie expire whenever (and maybe have it clear the black/whitelist cookie if you change your black/whitelist settings) and that would solve the cross-device/browser issue.

That's not a issue, those are pairing tag's tagged with Hidamari Sketch. Much like how searching for Marisa will show you pairings with Marisa in them

...searching for Hidamari Sketch will also show you the pairings for that series.

Oh, search results can return lone tags? I didn't know that and hadn't come across it before so it seemed like some weird issue. Maybe it would be a good idea to return tags like that on the first page under a separate heading than the rest of the results or something along those lines to make that a bit clearer since the chapter entries in search results show tags as well.

Edit: Completely unrelated but I just noticed the Marisa x Shanghai tag. How does that one even work? Lol.

last edited at Nov 26, 2014 7:32PM

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Is there any real possibility of expanding the scanlator thread to include a list of projects that are being worked on? ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LAST SUGGESTION :(

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Is there any real possibility of expanding the scanlator thread to include a list of projects that are being worked on?

Which I guess would need to include a list of groups, and maybe a description of what they focus on? Like

Active Projects

Divulge Scans (Mostly just does Takemiya Jin)
* Kuzushiro: LOVE/DEATH
* Amano Shuninta: Bombshells
* Takemiya Jin: Everything

NHFH Scanlatations (Sometimes betrays NozoEri with UmiEri)
* Etc.
* Etc.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Sometimes betrays NozoEri with UmiEri

ahahahahahaha

That aside, don't most groups keep an updated list of their projects on their websites? Seems like even less of an excuse for views to go to the groups' websites, y'know?

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

excuse me cyfer oneesama, girls in boxes is to be blamed for the umieri sin :(

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

That aside, don't most groups keep an updated list of their projects on their websites? Seems like even less of an excuse for views to go to the groups' websites, y'know?

If the object of the thread is to get help, then...

Is there any real possibility of expanding the scanlator thread to include a list of projects that are being worked on?

Yeah, opt-in only, you can write up whatever you want and we can add...wherever. Or you could add it, I don't think anyone minds. Unless you meant in the "So people aren't conflicting with each other" thing, which I know for a fact certain groups are against due to typical scanlator drama.

ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LAST SUGGESTION :(

Refresh my memory?

last edited at Nov 27, 2014 12:31AM

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Is it possible to have a direct link to a specific post? Also a source link when we quote someone else's post would be really nice/helpful (for me anyway).

There's a handful of ideas I need to toss (or retoss) to omn to see if it'd be feasible enough to get him away from warlords of draenor long enough :P

last edited at Nov 27, 2014 12:45AM

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Is it possible to have a direct link to a specific post? Also a source link when we quote someone else's post would be really nice/helpful (for me anyway).

There's a handful of ideas I need to toss (or retoss) to omn to see if it'd be feasible enough to get him away from warlords of draenor long enough :P

Oh looks like someone found it for me already! ; v;

last edited at Nov 27, 2014 1:07AM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

It would actually be a bit of a relief not having to check all over the internet when thinking about picking stuff up.

Yeah, opt-in only, you can write up whatever you want and we can add...wherever. Or you could add it, I don't think anyone minds.

I could add in information by editing MrEngenious's first post, if that's fine. Or I could just post relevant details to the thread?

HaxtonFale Uploader
Anna_avatar_320
BunnyScans
joined Jul 28, 2011

Re-tagging is a given, there's no way to decently automate the process.

I realized I phrased that wrong.

There is a way yo give a default value to all the currently assigned tags. What would be impossible is to accurately assign correct values to all the current assignments.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

I could add in information by editing MrEngenious's first post, if that's fine. Or I could just post relevant details to the thread?

Either is probably fine, but it seems like it'd be best to make a new post.

last edited at Nov 27, 2014 9:43AM

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Either is probably fine, but it seems like it'd be best to make a new post.

Well, the second post is ... mine. Okay, I'll use that one.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Noticed in last manga that there was info:
Mekimeki Oukoku
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=608774
http://blog.mekimeki.hacca.jp/

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Noticed in last manga that there was info:
Mekimeki Oukoku
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=608774
http://blog.mekimeki.hacca.jp/

Added Pixiv link, thanks!

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Machigatta Ranobe no Tsukurikata chapter order is messed up when actually reading it, on volume page it's fine

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Machigatta Ranobe no Tsukurikata chapter order is messed up when actually reading it, on volume page it's fine

Huh, don't think that one's ever happened before...fixed, thanks (and sorry).

To reply you must either login or sign up.