Forum › You Are My Angela discussion

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Physiologically speaking, maybe her wings and been extremely light represent her total pure innocence, naivety and disconnection from the world(angel) and so the backstabber, afraid that someone might steal those things from her, cut her wings down and made her a human, notice that at the end she said that she is kinda heavy; just a thought.

Tbh that symbolism actually makes a lot of sense.

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

Cruel angel's thesis

Iconnn
joined Jun 29, 2020

something about this ending makes me deeply uncomfortable and i can't exactly pinpoint what that is

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Just another pure love story for me :)

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

something about this ending makes me deeply uncomfortable and i can't exactly pinpoint what that is

Maybe the fact that one could interpret this in the manner of an abusive relationship (i mean i'm trying not to but the signs are there) in that she's had something horrifically cruel and violent done to her and yet because she's told "I love you" she stays and believes in the future her partner will change.

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

Also, for me, the afterword is kind of unsettling as it feels to have a somewhat flippant tone about it.

I mean this story has an act of absolutely horrendous violence in it and the afterword sort of shrugs and says "Oh well, they ain't on the best track but i'm sure everything will turn out fine".

last edited at Jul 25, 2020 8:21PM

Elixhono
joined Apr 28, 2020

I do like the interpretation of this being about love and sacrifice. That sometime being in a relationship can mean giving up one dream or job. Some basically having their love one make the decision, and the guilt one can have over ruining someone dreams for their own relationship. But despite the negative in those relationship, there is still lots of love to go around.

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

Beautiful but...something is wrong..

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

I do like the interpretation of this being about love and sacrifice. That sometime being in a relationship can mean giving up one dream or job. Some basically having their love one make the decision, and the guilt one can have over ruining someone dreams for their own relationship. But despite the negative in those relationship, there is still lots of love to go around.

I think that's kind of a forced interpretation tho. I mean while what you said is very true, your sacrifice is something you give up of your own volition. To have it taken from/sacrificed for you without your consent (such as it is in this case) it's an attack, a theft, an assault and in such a case it wouldn't just be guilt that would hang over the relationship but resentment as well (tho in this fiction we are told that's not the case). Not that i am suggesting that is what this story is about either.

The closest thing i can come to an interpretation is that this shows how love is a volatile emotion. That is is possible to love someone or something to the point of destruction. She was so in love with her, so afraid of losing her that she destroyed her wings, an act that (as the end suggests) can never be taken back, can never be undone and yet despite this their relationship continues. Perhaps this suggests that even tho love can take us to such dark places that it is also the light that can lead us back out again, that it can inspire such great kindness and forgiveness that it can save us all.

Well i'm trying my best to be optimistic about this. I found this story both beautiful and horrifying, touching and unsettling, and i'm really trying to figure out just how i'm going to take it all in.

last edited at Jul 25, 2020 9:01PM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

So many comments of people not being able to handle the story. Please read more books.

That's a bit condescending. I don't think that's the problem here tho. MC is just so selfish. She just did what she wanted and it didn't seem like any consent was given before doing the deed. That can rub people the wrong way. Nothing to do with not reading enough books mate.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

So the wings were symbolic of virginity... or something?

I think?

Maybe?

I don't really know. I know this comic is trying to tell me something, but I'm too dumb to know what that is. It's nice though, I kinda like not knowing exactly what it is.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I think?

Maybe?

I don't really know. I know this comic is trying to tell me something, but I'm too dumb to know what that is. It's nice though, I kinda like not knowing exactly what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codependency

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

Well, this was honestly one of the best yuris I've read here. In the favorites it goes.

I think?

Maybe?

It reminds me of change and growth in general, but the difference between them is more important than the wings themselves. MC thinks to herself several times that she's "just a normal human", compared to the angel, hence she cannot follow her where her growth is bound to lead her. It distresses her much, that as the angel grows, she risks becoming an ever smaller part of her world.

Of course, life is like that too. Relationships come and go, perhaps your crush will get married, your friends and you will slowly and silently drift away, your children will move out, or your lover will grow distant following their calling. In any case, either the relationship, or part of its significance to you, will be lost.
Doesn't even need a good reason really. People live at different paces, and the slower ones are bound to be left behind by the faster ones if the latters don't slow down for them.

So yeah, progress, growth, change. All of those places most people want to go. They stare at them for days, and even if they can't get there overnight after growing wings, it's still a looming threat if the stakes are high for you. It's insecurity (though not always a misplaced one) at its finest, it can only really be resolved if you have faith in the relationship. Not always possible, but that's what the angel's resolution is for at the end here. "Even if I can go on without you, I won't", basically.

My apologies if this comes off as rambling though!

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

That was weird. And I'm not sure what the take away was.
Honestly I felt it should have ended in tragedy. The angel girl being turned mortal with the loss of her wings and dying. Maybe even getting depressed and committing suicide. Kind of a cautionary tail about clinging too tightly the people you love. You know the whole "if you love someone set them free. If they love you they'll come back" thing.

last edited at Jul 26, 2020 2:53AM

Profile%20picture
joined Jan 23, 2020

The story can be a symbol of whatever you interpret as, as long as you have some evidence. :)
I love all the interpretations I've read.
The wings and bruises are all symbols, and I guess that's what makes it more forgivable in a fictional setting.
The story emphasizes the difference between angels and humans a lot... maybe one does not need to be an angel to be happy with who one loves?

joined Sep 1, 2017

The story can be a symbol of whatever you interpret as, as long as you have some evidence. :)
I love all the interpretations I've read.
The wings and bruises are all symbols, and I guess that's what makes it more forgivable in a fictional setting.
The story emphasizes the difference between angels and humans a lot... maybe one does not need to be an angel to be happy with who one loves?

I just don't see how anyone can put a positive spin on what the woman did to the angel. She violently ripped a part of the angel away, evidently without permission, because she was jealous and afraid. That's not okay, even if it works out in the story.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

The change from "impossibly light" to "kinda heavy" is quite depressing. I don't think it means she'll never regain her wings though. Feathers are littered everywhere around her in the latter half of the epilogue and my favorite lines from her suggest there is hope: "I'm... not angry about it, but I'll never forget what you did to me. That's why, if I ever grow wings again... I'll make sure to take you along with me."

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

I get people trying to symbolise the story and give it pretentious meanings, but it's simply abuse. The mc was scared Angela would leave her, so she cut off them wings. That's what abusers in abusive relationships do. Make sure you're totally dependent on them and you are mentally restrained to them.

Angela was fine with it, because she also got too dependent on the mc. She was conflicted between leaving her and staying. Once the mc cut her wings, she had no choice but to stay with her and forgive her. Typical victim. As people have mentioned multiple times before, this is just a case of codependency. It's nice to read all these philosophical explanations, but at the end it's nothing but a relationship between a abuser and a victim; an abusive relationship.

That being said, this was a very interesting story to read and murasakino's art is top notch as always. Probably going to my favourites.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I get people trying to symbolise the story and give it pretentious meanings, but it's simply abuse. The mc was scared Angela would leave her, so she cut off them wings. That's what abusers in abusive relationships do. Make sure you're totally dependent on them and you are mentally restrained to them.

I mean it can be both. We know it's an abusive/unhealthy relationship because she cuts off wings that symbolize freedom. This is meant to be a symbolic story while showcasing the underlying irl dynamic of codependency. It does the story a disservice to discount that.

joined Sep 1, 2017

That was brutal. I once saw a documentary about a couple studying bears in Alaska. They ended up being eaten by one of the bears they were studing. It took 20 minutes for the bear to kill them. The whole thing was cought on an audio recording. They played a small sample in the documentary. I got the same chills from the panels of the bloody feathers falling as I got listening to that recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=uWA7GtDmNFU&feature=emb_logo

Yep that's the one.

i live in alaska i remember when that happened. ppl get eaten by bears here all the time though tbh, especially tourists who go on hikes and underestimate the situation and danger.

edit: they actually played the recording on the radio when it happened btw, super grim shit to be playing on public air like that, and i was shocked they did it o.O

Holy crap! Why would you ever put something like that over the airwaves!? That's some seriously f%#ked up sh$t!

Hippityhoppity
joined Dec 7, 2019

a nice read, in war and love everything is fair!

joined Jul 26, 2020

The artstyle is so pretty I'm crying

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

I have complicated feelings about the last chapter, I expected a complete catharsis after what happened, and well, it kinda is, but I'm still not satisfied.
But I would say that it is more of a happy ending than a sad one, you can see on page 118 that the black-haired girl is crying, she is sad about what she did. About Angela she will never forget what her lover did to her and if her wings grow back, she won't let her cut them off again, but she will take her along with her (page 131 and 132).
Unfortunately, if someone wants to grow, they have to fail or suffer, and we see that both characters go through this.
Besides if we look at the art, it looks so paceful and beautiful in the last pages, I think the author wants to give us an optimistic feeling about this ending.
Honestly, I would say that if you're in a toxic relationship you should break up with your partner inmediatly, but this story seems to be about a toxic couple that stabilizes after all that chaos.
So far I am in love with Murasakino, each of her stories are different

P.D: And I have a feeling that Angela will grow wings again, look at pages 134 and 135, we can see the feathers and we see Angela's back and behind her there are birds flying. Why would the author give us false hope about mentioning it?

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

I really wonder what author meant instead of tearing wings off... Something painful but easy to forgive. Also it was really stupid not to try to fly yourself or ask to take you with. People are stupid needy and egoistical after all. Should have been tried a little bit more hard than hurting you're loved. Oh well. It's easy to say

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

What the author meant? He probably thought it looked like cool symbolism, that's what it usually is in the end. When the meaning is so muddled, the reader can interpret whatever they want. That's why there really isn't a definite answer to what the fuck this series was even about.

To reply you must either login or sign up.