Forum › Indigo Blue discussion

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

I liked this one, although there is a point where I really wanted to kick the main character because of her lies. I read everything by Yamaji Ebine after this. Love her art (and taste in music).

Gits-innocence4
joined Sep 22, 2013

I liked this one, although there is a point where I really wanted to kick the main character because of her lies. I read everything by Yamaji Ebine after this. Love her art (and taste in music).

^^ - I second all o' this.

...Maybe with a little less kicking, though.

X
joined Feb 8, 2014

I too wanted to kick Rutsu. I may be a lesbian, but I was not happy how she was using Ryuuji. I don't blame her for falling in love with Tamaki while being with Ryuuji, but she should have broken up with him right when she realized it. I too sympathize with Tamaki, but I guess not as much since I knew Rutsu would end up with her...

Anyways, though my rant was about a fictional character, I very much enjoyed this story. It was very well written and I quite fancied the style. One thing I really love about this author that is very hard to find in most series, she (or he) was able to end the series without making it seemed rushed. Maybe she had freedom of time where other authors may not. Regardless, Ebine was able to wrap this and "Free Soul" up very nicely.

last edited at Sep 28, 2014 7:55PM

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

wow that was deep, i am still trying to figure out the emotional and interpersonal cluster this story is....

i really kind of feel like rutsu's rekindled relationship with tamaki is a little... i don't know how to put it, but rutsu says that she realized that she never really knew tamaki and then the issue is never dealt with again and they are shown to be in a successful (?) relationship...

i would also like to suggest a cheating tag for this, as well as an angst tag. gender identity problems? sexual awakening and subsequent cheating? rutsu's intense desire to forget her past even though one of the themes of this story is learning as you live? that is about as angsty as it gets in my book

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

wow i don't think i've ever seen a character whose sexual identity so closely resembles my own. like rutsu, i also enjoy heterosexual sex and dont find it disgusting, even though i can't seem to fall in love with any men the way that i love women. ebine's art style and natural, casual depictions of sex/nudity are always a joy.

joined Jul 17, 2016

I remember passing on this manga years ago because I was a little put off by the art. I finally gave it a shot, and I really enjoyed it. The art was beautiful and complimented the serious nature of the story. It was nice to have realistic male characters like Ryuuji and Den-san. I'm personally not too fond of the yuri trope that all men are human garbage that exist solely to traumatize women. In my opinion, a well written male character can add a lot of depth to a yuri story. Unless there's a het ending. That filth is the worst crime imaginable in yuri.

Rutsu really got on my nerves the longer she strung along Ryuuji and Tamaki. My heart ached for both of them as the deception continued. However, I could see why Rutsu felt the need to keep lying. Rutsu knew that Ryuuji was madly in love with her and couldn't bring herself to hurt him. Even though she didn't love him, she still cared deeply about his feelings. Of course this meant that Rutsu had to lie about breaking up to Tamaki. Tamaki was right when she said Rutsu wanted to have her cake and eat it too.

It seemed like the author was really pushing for the fated, happy ending. Normally, I would prefer the "happily ever after", but this is one of the only manga where I would have liked to see a tragic ending. Even though Rutsu's actions were understandable, she didn't think about the consequences of those actions. Rutsu couldn't even manage to give Ryuuji a proper apology. The best he got was, "by the way, I liked the sex". Also, if Tamaki was the protagonist instead, then the dramatic twist would be that Rutsu was cheating on her with a man. Ryuuji and Tamaki were the real heroes of this manga for me. Rutsu didn't deserve their love, patience, and forgiveness.

That said, the flaws were why the characters seemed so real. Confusion, love, happiness, heartbreak, regret... Ebine perfectly captured these emotions and more in this manga.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

ah, biphobia strikes again.

To reply you must either login or sign up.