Forum › Lost Girl - Lost Lady discussion

RumpledForeSkiin
joined Jun 27, 2016

Marisa said mid-thirties but she really looks like she's pushing 60.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Marisa said mid-thirties but she really looks like she's pushing 60.

I don't see where she looks that old, but Marisa isn't really known for taking care of herself very well.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

A really good take on Touhou lore. It doesn't sit the most well with me knowing how tough it has to be for Marisa but this sort of setting actually works very well. Also @rumpledforeskin she's probably nearing her 40's, what with the stress and all of aiding in incident-solving Marisa has all the right to have a few wrinkles here and there

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/lost_girl_lost_lady#28
MOU, BAKA MARI! Read the mood, will you?! XD

Genbuakicon
joined Jun 27, 2015

Man, the appeal of adult ladies always feels so undervalued, I really liked this. The characters look really pretty as grown women.

This does seem important to note. In the official storyline too many annual flower viewings happen for everyone to stay looking young. But I guess in real life the cannon story really is in comic-book time.

At least Touhou is not as bad as Pokémon is. The temporal inconsistencies of the amount Ash has done, even though he regularly meets or travels with other 10 year old who just started out and done nothing. It is mind boggling.

joined Nov 26, 2017

She looks old because doesn't have time to have herself some make-over.

ADT555 Uploader
_006
DB Scans
joined Jun 26, 2017

At least Touhou is not as bad as Pokémon is. The temporal inconsistencies of the amount Ash has done, even though he regularly meets or travels with other 10 year old who just started out and done nothing. It is mind boggling.

Touhou has actually been pretty consistent on how much time has passed. Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red and Symposium of Post-mysticism have dated News Paper Articles and Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia speaks about current events. There are 2 very interesting dates. A 2003 article about Remilia describes the Scarlet Mist incident as recent, the game EoSD was released in 2002. Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia does not give dates but speaks about the recent Lunar Invasion (LoLK 2015) and mentions of the recent election of Trump (2016).

This and many, many other articles show that Gensokyo is moving on the same basic timescale as the real world. We don't know the main characters age for certain but that means that if Reimu and Marisa were at their youngest 14-16 during EoSD, they would be 28-30 right now. I don't think their canon appearance is too for off how they would look. Sanae was a Highschooler when she arrived in Gensokyo around 2007. So 15-16, that puts her around 25-26. Heida no Akyuu we can get the closest to locking down a canon age, an article from Perfect Memento in Strict Sense gives her birth as August, 1994, so she is roughly 23. Akyuu we see age visibly, her early appearances are as a child to her current young adult appearance in Forbidden Scrollery.

Despite that, you might say they look a little young for their age, but that does have some in universe explanation. Gensokyo humans are described by Akyuu as being a step above outsiders physically on average for instance. The main human characters are all East Asian, they tend to look younger for a bit longer (not trying to be controversial). Also their pre-modern protein lite diets should make them I believe about 6" shorter on average than outsiders.

The big problem is the art, ZUN is a terrible artist himself and draws low detail characters for the main series shooters. The official fighting games and different books / manga are done by a diverse group of artist with different styles that ZUN contracts too. That means it is hard to stay consistent on small details. I guess we'll see how ZUN take age into account, time has been passing and there has been signs of aging but with the main human cast entering over the next 10 years of Touhou.

last edited at Feb 3, 2018 10:10PM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

When in doubt, chalk it up to Yukari messing up with the boundaries of time passage and/or the aging process for regular humans inside the Great Hakurei Barrier, perhaps also with the aid of Keine's history-affecting power, resulting in a weird sort of comic book time-like effect that somehow keeps the human protagonists from aging without invalidating their humanity.

Marisa0
joined May 13, 2015

well, good doujin isn't it?

Wat
joined May 5, 2015

oh no.. what about Our great lord ZUN..?

joined Apr 22, 2019

isnt there a sequel ?

MarisaKirisame
Images%20(1)
joined Feb 19, 2022

emm idk but i want this marisa more

joined Jun 5, 2018

The only one truly in danger of aging is ZUN, so uhm... this is one thing we really cant change

joined Aug 28, 2023

Hope all the human characters get immortality one way or another. It would be too sad to see them die.

last edited at Sep 18, 2023 3:23AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.