Forum › Anime season

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Does anyone actually expect U6 to get erased permanently?

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

all the universe will just get fused into one universe....

last edited at Nov 8, 2017 11:27PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

No, since Vageta said he would wish it back.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

If i wish hard enough it's bound to become reality

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I expect all Universes to return in some form in the end.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the new Kino no Tabi so far. It's only the first half and some of the weaker stories introduced characters that might get more time to shine later on, but this week's episode was... wow. It was so over-the-top about its gratuitous cruelty that after a while I turned it into a game of trying to guess what horrible thing would happen next. Ooh, I bet now one of them will want to rape/torture the girl— Oh, come on, what the hell. That is literally overkill.

On the flip side, the other show of the season about people exploring the world on a motorcycle continues to be an absolute delight.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It's amazing how Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou manages to be so melancholy and so comforting at the same time

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

It's amazing how Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou manages to be so melancholy and so comforting at the same time

I think it's because of the fact that on the surface, it's rather cheerful & laid-back for post-apocalyptic show & yet, once you stop & think about the meanings & implications behind everything the characters do, it's rather depressing. For example, when Chi & Yuu take the photo of themselves. They are creating a memory with one another & that's incredibly heartwarming, & yet, based on the conversation that leads up to it, they're doing this since they want to immortalize themselves on the photo as their real existence is just as fleeting & bleak as the rest of their world. Even the entire idea of recording down these last moments into history also reinforces the idea of human's bleak existence. The resolution to both the side characters have a rather sad implication as well. While they are able to come to term with the hopelessness of their situation and cope with the loss of their respective meaning of life to at least not commit suicide, they are both starting from zero & at the mercy of their desolate world & both are accepting of the possibility that they may die along their new journey. "How far can I make on foot?" & "Guess I'm gonna fall all the way to the lowest level at this rate"

There're a lot of existential horror & nihilism going on in this show, but the fact that its overall message is about coming to term with these ideas & finding beauty in them that it somewhat lightens these underlying implications. It's this weird mixture of accepting the fact that their situation is desperate & their existence fleeting, but still keep on living for every little thing that may come to their lives that makes this show so comforting & depressing all at the same time. Very much in the lane of the idea that life is about the journey & the present moments rather than the end result. I honestly expect a very bittersweet ending.

last edited at Nov 11, 2017 2:26PM

joined Dec 16, 2013

i don't see any nihilism, they clearly doing their best to survive.

09_lapis_lazuline
joined Aug 12, 2017

The mangaka struggled with depression, remember. This is likely pretty personal stuff.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

It's in the way the show has been portraying the characters' struggles. The attitude is less "WE NEED TO SURVIVE NO MATTER WHAT IN ORDER TO SAVE HUMANITY FROM EXTINCTION" & more just "whatever comes comes, if we live, we live, if we die, we die." This ep with Ishii kinda highlights that. She was trying to escape the city in order to find life outside of it, but it was futile in the end & she came to accept that. Also, we have Yuuri whose mentality is: "Life doesn't have a big meaning. God is fake. Embrace the hopelessness of your situation." Not saying this show is 100% nihilism tho. It has a lot of positive messages to counter some of the underlying nihilistic ideas.

last edited at Nov 11, 2017 4:56PM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Japan TV sure is progressive for allowing this very lewd scene to air.

p.s
Its extremely NSFW

last edited at Nov 11, 2017 6:33PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

JESUS man put that shit as a link don't just display that so casually imagine if i was at work damn

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Okay, Love Live, look. Going "NicoMaki sure is popular, we should tease that in S2" was kind of awkward but okay. Going "RikoYoha sure is popular, we should tease that in S2" is not okay, because Riko and Chika's relationship was incredibly important to the first season

Despite how the media tends to portray it nihilism isn't "Everything is pointless, we should all die!!!!!!", but simply the argument that there's no inherent meaning to things, which has come up a few times

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Holy fruits basket Kefla is annoying

joined Dec 16, 2013

wut A channel new ova? ova 3.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Holy fruits basket Kefla is annoying

Like every single fusion.

joined Jan 21, 2015

I read the ANN review of the latest Kino ep and I realized I was so busy getting annoyed at the setup that I missed the incredibly obvious Jesus parallels. The episode makes a lot more sense now.

There's one thing I've been wondering about while watching Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou: not only are there almost no living humans in this city, there are no dead ones. Even though the last war apparently wasn't that long ago. Where are all the corpses? I'm used to post-apocalyptic landscapes being littered with remnants of human life and this makes the setting really eerie.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Like every single fusion.

Oy mate, Kibitoshin is 100% husbando material

joined Dec 16, 2013

There's one thing I've been wondering about while watching Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou: not only are there almost no living humans in this city, there are no dead ones. Even though the last war apparently wasn't that long ago. Where are all the corpses? I'm used to post-apocalyptic landscapes being littered with remnants of human life and this makes the setting really eerie.

cannibalism...

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

There's another theory I have about this show ever since I found out about the kinds of works this author does (also, they like Haibane Renmei, tho I'm not sure how much influence that show has on this one). The girls might be wandering around in limbo all along (either symbolic or literal). That explains all the afterlife talks. & them going up is them reaching closer to heaven. Because of this, there are no corpses seen. That or we'll get a proper explanation down the line.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

It's in the way the show has been portraying the characters' struggles. The attitude is less "WE NEED TO SURVIVE NO MATTER WHAT IN ORDER TO SAVE HUMANITY FROM EXTINCTION" & more just "whatever comes comes, if we live, we live, if we die, we die." This ep with Ishii kinda highlights that. She was trying to escape the city in order to find life outside of it, but it was futile in the end & she came to accept that. Also, we have Yuuri whose mentality is: "Life doesn't have a big meaning. God is fake. Embrace the hopelessness of your situation." Not saying this show is 100% nihilism tho. It has a lot of positive messages to counter some of the underlying nihilistic ideas.

I think those situation are most positive than the alternative. They aren't living for the sake of a bigger idea, they're living because they want to. To me there's a bigger value in that.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I think those situation are most positive than the alternative. They aren't living for the sake of a bigger idea, they're living because they want to. To me there's a bigger value in that.

Well, I think nihilism doesn't have much value on its own. It's neither negative or positive (tho it carries a more negative connotation). The same ideas that "life has no purpose", "we're all gonna die anyway", "it's all but hopeless", "there is nothing to live for", & "no gods can save us" can just lead to a suicidefest with Punpun-level of depression. But that's not this show (the depression is more subtle here). The characters' more carefree outlook & accepting attitude towards these same nihilistic ideas are what make them positive. For example, despite the fact that the girls don't believe in a bigger meaning to life and that there is no god, the show makes it clear that they see one another as their reason for living & that they are one another's god. It's a very positive & wholesome twist.

last edited at Nov 12, 2017 5:12PM

joined Jan 21, 2015

cannibalism...

...That's a possibility, but let's hope it wouldn't be that widespread a custom, haha.

There's another theory I have about this show ever since I found out about the kinds of works this author does (also, they like Haibane Renmei, tho I'm not sure how much influence that show has on this one). The girls might be wandering around in limbo all along (either symbolic or literal). That explains all the afterlife talks. & them going up is them reaching closer to heaven. Because of this, there are no corpses seen. That or we'll get a proper explanation down the line.

I hadn't thought about it that way! So far I have been taking the story completely at face value. But assuming the eventual ending isn't just "the adventure continues", we can probably expect some kind of significant reveal when they reach that top level. I've been enjoying the show as post-apocalyptic slice-of-life but I wouldn't mind it having hints of something more spiritual. I'll have to look out for potential symbolism.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

The same ideas that "life has no purpose", "we're all gonna die anyway", "it's all but hopeless", "there is nothing to live for", & "no gods can save us" can just lead to a suicidefest with Punpun-level of depression.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I can't relate, being someone who doesn't believe in God and doesn't believe life has meaning either, but I'm not depressed and I think the sense of freedom is actually good. We can make what we want with our lifes, instead of following other people's rules. That's why I like how the show isn't entirely pessimistic. It makes more sense to me.

Funny enough there's some old tweets by the author where she talks about how she didn't want to feel sexual acttraction, since she doesn't want children so she thinks there's no point, and how she likes a scene on a movie with a lesbian couple saying they reached the "dead end", since they won't make a family out of their relationship. I think this kind of sad thinking comes when people start to believe life has to have meaning.

To reply you must either login or sign up.