Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

But seriously though, my sincere question, some of you guys are Sumin fans after all

Sumin just abandoned her 10 year ex gf who she has always felt guilty at, who she has always cared for, just right after her father's funeral, when she is the only one that gf has left. She goes against her emotions and care to do all that for Sungji but ended up being left behind by Sungji in the middle of crowd, under the firework without a word. This is what she gets for doing all that for Sungji. Dont you guys feel sorry for her at all? Do you think its fair for her?

Or you really think she should really need to put her into her ultimate desperate misery, in her deep sadness and force her to choose between both of them? To force her to run to one of them in her misery and sadness?

For someone who loves Sumin, I dont get why you think Sungji's doing is sth you love.

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 7:08AM

joined Jun 6, 2016

No, it will not be commendable the other way which is not "Sumin loves Seju more", why? Because of her famous line that makes her become someone everyone loves "I will not let the person I love get hurt anymore"

This sentence was said but if she chooses to leave only because she pities Seju or because Seju needs Sumin atm, this is just a very very nonsense decision from her because she doesnt consider Sumin's feelings on this matter and how much hurt she gives Sumin when she leaves without reasons.

So no, the other reason is not commendable.

I believe Sungji is commendable either way because she was able to identify that the relationship she was in was causing her more grief than happiness and ended things. That's worthy of praise by itself! It's not always easy to walk away from someone you love/loved! (Look at Sumin and Seju, they can't end their relationship after 10 years lol.) She doesn't need to explain because Sumin and Sungji's relationship has been on the rocks for the past like 15 chapters!

I feel like Sungji has done quite a bit of considering Sumin's feelings. It's been clear to Sungji that Sumin's heart is not completely with her. Although Sumin says she's only worried about Sungji, it's obvious where her mind really is.
She says that line about being taken advantage of as if she's accepted it already. She's accepted that she might just not have a place in Sumin's life right now.

She leaves Sumin without giving her a reason (Sumin really doesn't need a reason, I'm sure she already knows). If Sungji gave Sumin a reason, Sumin might just go back to feeling guilty about wanting Sungji but also feeling like she needs to care for Seju. Trying to do both is just hurting everyone. There's a grace in the way she left Sumin.

Sungji says, "I won't let the person I love get hurt anymore." I love that line by her! Very brave of her. Just because she stays with Sumin, doesn't mean Sumin won't get hurt anymore. This may hurt Sumin, but in the long run it might help her. Ripping off a band-aid in one go HURTS, but it's better than prolonging the pain.

Now Sumin can have the space she needs from Seju and Sungji to decide what she really wants.

If you saw it like that... yeah... now I know why people might see it as commendable.

For me Having a *ball to end a "false" relationship with someone you still love isn't enough to be a commendable act.

it's just an obvious thing to do. Lol

What I dislike about is how sungji end the things, she disappear without words lol.

And no... you can't make someone to read your mind and know what you think inside. I doubt The clueless sumin know the reason.

And this farawell will haunt people more longer because most of the time, the victim won't get any reason. It's my most unlikeable way of ending relationship... it's a cowardly move... This disappering act.

If you have time to visit quora, or any relationship forum. There is a lot of cases with disappearing act. And most of the victim shared that it's an awful things to experience becase it left you hanging, with somekind of delusional hope and this bad experience will imprint in your memory.

Forget about closure.

I even read that someone is going traumatize and even after this person get a new relationship... she is still paranoid/worry if it will happen again

So ending false relationship is good, but doing a disappearing act is WRONG

Sidenote: I feel that TG doing this way just to dramatize things... the scene is pretty

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 7:41AM

joined Jun 6, 2016

But seriously though, my sincere question, some of you guys are Sumin fans after all

Sumin just abandoned her 10 year ex gf who she has always felt guilty at, who she has always cared for, just right after her father's funeral, when she is the only one that gf has left. She goes against her emotions and care to do all that for Sungji but ended up being left behind by Sungji in the middle of crowd, under the firework without a word. This is what she gets for doing all that for Sungji. Dont you guys feel sorry for her at all? Do you think its fair for her?

Another reason why what sungji did isn't that great.

Sumin has tried to give everything she possibly can to sungji after the cheating. And this is what she got... karma is a bitch

joined Mar 21, 2017

Sidenote: I feel that TG doing this way just to dramatize things... the scene is pretty

I feel the same way. The rough translator for IWBGIYDE said on her tumblr that it is a very K-drama scene. Might be some truth to that.

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 8:13AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

For someone who loves Sumin, I dont get why you think Sungji's doing is sth you love.

I have no idea, so I would guess that it's necessary for Sumin to be like a monk for a while to realize something (I don't know what the hell this is though). In other words, Sumin being single can make her less dumb or something like that. lol

Funny_little_penguin_steam_avatars
joined Aug 18, 2017

Orange

Lol I get where you're coming from..but I also believe sometimes in life, you do meet the right people..but just not at the right time..

Yes! I feel the exact same way.

Es0teric

Oh, but don't get me wrong, y'all. I'm die-hard Team Pink. I didn't even like Sungji until the last couple chapters XDD

Doesn't stop your response from being really well said : )

;) aww thank you.

joined Aug 18, 2017

If when she made this decision and she only thought of herself and how her relationship is so painful and rocky then I have nothing to say, LOL, this decision is totally not commendable at all after all of her commendable actions from the beginning of the story till before this chap, aka taking care of Sumin and sticking around with her even though Sumin has hurt her.

Hypothetically speaking, if your girlfriend cheated on you with her Ex and then moved in with that Ex (plus all the other shenanigans that went on). I mean, just seeing the person that your gf cheated with next to your gf is painful. It can be something that brings back all the bad memories and feelings. Even when the rational part of your brain tells you that nothing is going on, the other part of your brain is imagining every worst case scenario.

That by itself is hard. You can forgive, but it takes a lot of COMMUNICATION (which Sumin and Sungji do not have) and dedication to the relationship to truly work things out. I feel like Sumin and Sungji sort of just got back together in chapter like 70-something. 20 chapters (which was like a month or two) is not enough time for them to rebuild. So I'd say their relationship is a bit more than "rocky". it's insecure and unsteady. Neither of them are communicating their thoughts and needs.

Sticking around and enduring the pain and distrust caused by your partner sounds noble, but in the end it's not healthy. Sungji is a great person. She is very patient. She knows that everyone has their secrets and their personal struggles. She has never forced Sumin to tell her anything she wasn't comfortable with. But at some point, a person with a healthy sense of self and self respect will have to let go. That's why if Sungji did it for herself, I still think it's commendable.

Of course, you're probably right. She probably did it for Sumin and not for herself. But if she DID do it for herself, then kudos to her.

She does have a place in Sumin's life. What do you think why Sumin abandon her long ex-gf when her father just died to be with Sungji for?
How can Sumin know? Please think of Sumin's perspective at that moment. She literally abandon her long life ex gf, who she also feels guilty with and wanted to take care of alot. For what? For SUNGJI. However the girl literally leaves her right there without even an explanation right after. Do you think its fair for Sumin and think she will know?

It might just be the translation for now, but Sumin never really made it clear about the finality of that goodbye she said to Seju. Sumin attended the funeral and Sungji had to overhear it at work since Sumin didn't mention it. It's easy to see why Sungji may not feel like she has a place in Sumin's life. She may feel like she's intruding or making Sumin abandon someone important to her.

Another failure to communicate may have stirred this misunderstanding in Sungji. Sumin isn't explaining anything, she's just trying to go back to the way things were and act like nothing ever happened.

Never said I dont love that line of her but after that line, you should do sth to prove that, not doing the opposite. Do you think Sungji leave will double the pain Sumin has and killing all of her will or reducing it?

I mean, from Sungji's perspective, she is probably thinks that's going to help. She may believe that her being around and holding onto Sumin is causing Sumin's heart to be torn in two. When Sungji and Sumin got together, Sumin looked like she was doing just fine (even though we, as the readers, know otherwise). Now she's jobless, "abandoned" an important person and she's looking sad all the time. Sungji may not realize that this is a new start for Sumin and a part of her healing process. Sungji is young and couldn't begin to understand Sumin's feelings (especially since Sumin won't communicate with her and vice versa)

joined Aug 18, 2017

For me Having a *ball to end a "false" relationship with someone you still love isn't enough to be a commendable act.
it's just an obvious thing to do. Lol
What I dislike about is how sungji end the things, she disappear without words lol.
And no... you can't make someone to read your mind and know what you think inside. I doubt The clueless sumin know the reason.
And this farawell will haunt people more longer because most of the time, the victim won't get any reason. It's my most unlikeable way of ending relationship... it's a cowardly move... This disappering act.

I believe you're absolutely right. Disappearing is not a good way to end a relationship. It isn't nice and it is cowardly. However, in this situation, Sumin has been brooding about the way she's been treating Sungji since Seju moved in. They have been tense about Seju getting between them. No, Sumin can not read minds, but I'm sure she's got a pretty good idea about why Sungji left her.

That still doesn't quite excuse Sungji for leaving without saying a word.

If you have time to visit quora, or any relationship forum. There is a lot of cases with disappearing act. And most of the victim shared that it's an awful things to experience becase it left you hanging, with somekind of delusional hope and this bad experience will imprint in your memory.
Forget about closure.

I actually love Quora. I tried some searching, but I don't think I'm looking in the right place (the ones I'm seeing are like 20-something year olds getting "ghosted" in a tinder-like-fashion. Could you link me a couple of the ones you're looking at? I would like to get some insight on that perspective :)

So ending false relationship is good, but doing a disappearing act is WRONG

Agreed.

There has to be a final fight in the end for the girl!! Sumin will have to get over her issues and fight for Sungji for real this time!
(Or plot twist: Sungji hooks up with Seju and Sumin enrolls in therapy XDDD)

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

yoonie0104

Nah, she will leave Seju, I dont see why Seju's father dying could make her stay by Seju's side when there is Sungji. She will leave, I know that and I understand that.

yes.. and I like it like that, no lame excuses.

If she knew, they could've continued wearing it already or she could've asked about it at least once, both were keeping their respective ring after all, what's wrong with wearing it? xDDDDD

I had a feeling that Sumin wanted to open the matter in ch80 as she was playing with Sungji's fingers at the cafe. btw, the ring matter appeared the second following chapter (but the in day in the Manhwa ch82). Did you mean why Sungji didn't wear her's or Sumin not wearing her's ?
Sungji put it on her desk in ch62 (the very end of it).. and don't ask me why Sumin didn't wear her's or is it now XD.

Nah, the irony I'm talking about is how she wants to find someone for her to love to the point where she'll die if the person leaves, while she already has a person who loves her just that much. She just doesnt want to do anything with that person anymore also because "its not good to live miserably like that, loving someone to the point of doing anything for her", Sumin's words in chap 74.

I got this irony.. I was talking about another perspective.

Screen%20shot%202017-09-05%20at%2014.18.21
joined Feb 4, 2017

on Sungji leaving Sumin without a word.

we don't know for sure if Sungji said a thing or not. Ch87 ended up with Sumin stuttering.. but only in ch88 we got to see what she said to Sungji through a flashback (or let's call it an inner thought).

There is a possibility that Sungji said something, but TG decided to end the chapter this way because of the time constraints that Gaji has and the drama build up. Sungji's mind is the last and most important game changer.. we never heard her for a reason. So, what I was trying to say is: it is too early to judge whether it is a right move or wrong.. graceful or shameful.

Elizabeth%20sadaharu
joined Jul 11, 2017

we don't know for sure if Sungji said a thing or not. Ch87 ended up with Sumin stuttering.. but only in ch88 we got to see what she said to Sungji through a flashback (or let's call it an inner thought).
There is a possibility that Sungji said something, but TG decided to end the chapter this way because of the time constraints that Gaji has and the drama build up. Sungji's mind is the last and most important game changer.. we never heard her for a reason. So, what I was trying to say is: it is too early to judge whether it is a right move or wrong.. graceful or shameful.

Yep. So perceptive and reasonable XDDDDD

joined Aug 18, 2017

I like this! Gaji does throw those curve balls at us sometimes.Like that scene where Sumin admitted to laying bed next to Seju. It wasn't until a flashback did we get to see their conversation.

3 chapters left and I'm so excited about how this is going to end!! 7 more days!!

joined Mar 21, 2017

Nora

I agree. It's not the first or second time they've done this, I'm also reminded of the end of chapter 1 & 2.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Hypothetically speaking, if your girlfriend cheated on you with her Ex and then moved in with that Ex (plus all the other shenanigans that went on). I mean, just seeing the person that your gf cheated with next to your gf is painful. It can be something that brings back all the bad memories and feelings. Even when the rational part of your brain tells you that nothing is going on, the other part of your brain is imagining every worst case scenario.

Sungji was the one who accepted Sumin back adter the cheating
Sungji was the one who accepted Seju to live in Sumin's house.

So what is this about "Hypothetically speaking, if your girlfriend cheated on you with her Ex and then moved in with that Ex (plus all the other shenanigans that went on)"? She is the one who lets it happen.

That by itself is hard. You can forgive, but it takes a lot of COMMUNICATION (which Sumin and Sungji do not have) and dedication to the relationship to truly work things out. I feel like Sumin and Sungji sort of just got back together in chapter like 70-something. 20 chapters (which was like a month or two) is not enough time for them to rebuild. So I'd say their relationship is a bit more than "rocky". it's insecure and unsteady. Neither of them are communicating their thoughts and needs.

Then talk about it, work on it, not giving up too soon. Its only one month in manhwa time, lol.

Sticking around and enduring the pain and distrust caused by your partner sounds noble, but in the end it's not healthy. Sungji is a great person. She is very patient. She knows that everyone has their secrets and their personal struggles. She has never forced Sumin to tell her anything she wasn't comfortable with. But at some point, a person with a healthy sense of self and self respect will have to let go. That's why if Sungji did it for herself, I still think it's commendable.

Then its time for her to force Sumin to say sth or do sth for Sungji herself, not giving up for Sungji herself.

Of course, you're probably right. She probably did it for Sumin and not for herself. But if she DID do it for herself, then kudos to her.

I'm no Sungji fan myself but from what I perceive from Sungji's character, I would be very very surprised if she did this for herself

It might just be the translation for now, but Sumin never really made it clear about the finality of that goodbye she said to Seju. Sumin attended the funeral and Sungji had to overhear it at work since Sumin didn't mention it. It's easy to see why Sungji may not feel like she has a place in Sumin's life. She may feel like she's intruding or making Sumin abandon someone important to her.
Another failure to communicate may have stirred this misunderstanding in Sungji. Sumin isn't explaining anything, she's just trying to go back to the way things were and act like nothing ever happenend

Its pretty clear at the moment of the coffee date, btw, when Sumin looks so down hearing the talk about Seju.

Sungji understands and she knows.

I mean, from Sungji's perspective, she is probably thinks that's going to help. She may believe that her being around and holding onto Sumin is causing Sumin's heart to be torn in two. When Sungji and Sumin got together, Sumin looked like she was doing just fine (even though we, as the readers, know otherwise). Now she's jobless, "abandoned" an important person and she's looking sad all the time. Sungji may not realize that this is a new start for Sumin and a part of her healing process. Sungji is young and couldn't begin to understand Sumin's feelings (especially since Sumin won't communicate with her and vice versa)

Then talk about it and try to understand, just like how Sungji did with Seju, not run away.

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 10:09PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

I've always given Sungji the benefit of the doubt about whether she thought of Sumin's feelings or not when she decided, but if this is how it happened then there is no excuse for Sungji

The talk should be happened in the coffee shop right? Right after she said ".... being taken advantage of". Not on the street, since the scene on the street is pretty consistent, by the hand holding, the letting go of the hand, the turning around by Sumin.

So hypothetically, basically they talked over coffee, and judging from Sumin's action of holding hand on the street, Sumin makes it clear where she stands on that matter, she wants Sungji to stay but Sungji still left?

How is that making Sungji look better with her decision?

The only scenario that could save Sungji is she hasnt left yet, lol, she let go of the hand and gave her the ring but still standing right in front of Sumin to talk and tbh, that's how I'm expecting to happen, xDDDDD, not flashback or inner thoughts XDDDDD.
the cat is finally out of the box xDDDD

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 10:30PM

joined Jun 6, 2016

I actually love Quora. I tried some searching, but I don't think I'm looking in the right place (the ones I'm seeing are like 20-something year olds getting "ghosted" in a tinder-like-fashion. Could you link me a couple of the ones you're looking at? I would like to get some insight on that perspective :)

If you want me to find a post /thread that I accidentally read 3 years ago... I will give up lol XD

Find this when I google, one thread
Of many others about disappearing act

http://www.anewmode.com/topic/why-men-pull-the-disappearreappear-act/

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 10:28PM

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

yoonie0104

Nah, she will leave Seju, I dont see why Seju's father dying could make her stay by Seju's side when there is Sungji. She will leave, I know that and I understand that.

yes.. and I like it like that, no lame excuses.

I get what you're trying to say but I'm talking about timing. You want her back in full with love, not excuses, I understand that. What I'm saying is I resented the timing XDDDDDD

I had a feeling that Sumin wanted to open the matter in ch80 as she was playing with Sungji's fingers at the cafe. btw, the ring matter appeared the second following chapter (but the in day in the Manhwa ch82). Did you mean why Sungji didn't wear her's or Sumin not wearing her's ?
Sungji put it on her desk in ch62 (the very end of it).. and don't ask me why Sumin didn't wear her's or is it now XD.

Yeah, my question is why they dont wear the ring when both of them are keeping their respective ring and especially when both of them knew each other had the ring with them. Pretty weird, dont you think?
Sumin probably still think that Sungji lost her ring, that's why she dont wear hers XDDDD

I got this irony.. I was talking about another perspective.

Yeah, but it's kinda obvious so I dont have anything to talk about it, Seju is always there in Sumin's heart. She cant love someone fully when she cant let go of her completely.

last edited at Aug 21, 2017 10:58PM

joined Aug 18, 2017

If you want me to find a post /thread that I accidentally read 3 years ago... I will give up lol XD

Find this when I google, one thread
Of many others about disappearing act

OMG lol no, I definitely don't want you to go through all that trouble. After I posted to you, I did a bit more digging and found some pretty interesting things about this topic. Very interesting perspective and it looks like it's not that uncommon. I feel like I empathize with Sumin a bit more if Sungji did just ghost her. Thank you for that <3

joined Aug 18, 2017

Sungji was the one who accepted Sumin back adter the cheating
Sungji was the one who accepted Seju to live in Sumin's house.

So what is this about "Hypothetically speaking, if your girlfriend cheated on you with her Ex and then moved in with that Ex (plus all the other shenanigans that went on)"? She is the one who lets it happen.

Sungji did take Sumin back and allow Seju to live in the house. I'm sure she did not do those things without hesitation. It seems like that was Sungji trying to salvage and rebuild her relationship with Sumin. Rebuilding trust takes time and communication AND dedication. In the month that she was still with Sumin, it may not have seemed to Sungji that things were getting better.

Then talk about it, work on it, not giving up too soon. Its only one month in manhwa time, lol.

That is EXACTLY what they should be doing. But the thing is, that neither of them understand the concept of healthy communication. Sumin thinks she can just apologize and then act like nothing ever happened and Sungji just doesn't say what she's thinking and goes with the flow even if she doesn't really like what's happening.

Its pretty clear at the moment of the coffee date, btw, when Sumin looks so down hearing the talk about Seju.

Sungji understands and she knows.
What? How can Sungji read her mind just from a sad look? Sumin doesn't mention that she attended the funeral and she never mentions that she told Seju goodbye for good? (Although, maybe we will get a flashback in the next couple chapters of more of their conversation like Nora said)

Then talk about it and try to understand, just like how Sungji did with Seju, not run away.

I agree, that's a very rational decision. But you know, then the story would be too easy XD

Elizabeth%20sadaharu
joined Jul 11, 2017

lol it's very hard to argue for or against a character in the story when you have to factor in "plot device" into the same equation. Because then where would the character definition ends and plot device begins? Murky waters..

last edited at Aug 22, 2017 1:09AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

I can't name one good communicator in this entire Manhwa lol.

joined Jun 6, 2016

Hmm.... the man who likes sungji?

When he likes sungji, he try to approach her in obvious way and said his intention. After turned down by her, he said he won't bitching and he did.

If my memory isn't wrong, he always do what he said. when he is curious about sungji and sumin relationship, he confirmed it with sungji?

But because of that he is just a side character without any interesting plot left, just a tool for filler.

last edited at Aug 22, 2017 2:18AM

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

lol it's very hard to argue for or against a character in the story when you have to factor in "plot device" into the same equation. Because then where would the character definition ends and plot device begins? Murky waters..

Think like that and you can't argue.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Hmm.... the man who likes sungji?

When he likes sungji, he try to approach her in obvious way and said his intention. After turned down by her, he said he won't bitching and he did.

If my memory isn't wrong, he always do what he said. when he is curious about sungji and sumin relationship, he confirmed it with sungji?

But because of that he is just a side character without any interesting plot left, just a tool for filler.

You should name Dawoon or maybe even Nammi but Dawoon especially fits that category XDDDDD. Dawoon is pretty good with words and expressing herself

last edited at Aug 22, 2017 3:29AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

You should name Dawoon or maybe even Nammi but Dawoon especially fits that category XDDDDD. Dawoon is pretty good with words and expressing herself

You are right. Dawoom is also definitely a good example.

To reply you must either login or sign up.