Forum › Secret of the Princess discussion

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

The forum for the first chapter (“The Princess’s Mirror”) is at:
http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/1514-the-princess-s-mirror-discussion

I have to say, even though I am the scanlater, I really liked how Fujiwara-sensei handled the Karaoke incident. I could get to like the girl. But, oh, her taste in movies is hard to handle.

Kikyou%20x%20kana
joined Oct 31, 2013

Ohh~ a promising manga to read :D cant wait for the next chapter. Hope that Miu will not give in Fujiwara senpai to her friend ><

Tumblr_n2xarzavhs1qze9qao1_1280
joined Apr 7, 2013

Miu don't listen to Kaori!!! DX
Can't wait for the next chapter!!!
That last page though! ! XD

joined Aug 6, 2013

I hope this is a long series like girlfriends :3

joined Dec 29, 2013

I hope this is a long series like girlfriends

Hirari is quarterly.
(35 - 2) x 4 = 132
132 / 12 = 11

Enjoy the wait.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

I hope this is a long series like girlfriends

Hirari is quarterly.
(35 - 2) x 4 = 132
132 / 12 = 11

Enjoy the wait.

Posts like this make my heart hurt. It's probably just a 4-5 chapter story, right?

joined Dec 29, 2013

Posts like this make my heart hurt.

Meh. I wouldn't feel to bad. There's already blatant story contradictions, and it's only been two chapters. Morinaga is losing her touch.

In chapter one the problem was posed that Fugiwara is depressed/upset because she does not think she has any friends/people don't like her. But in this chapter we are told that she has girls confess to her all the time which I fucking hate, and this is an awful story element, forced story progression galore, plus we see the fan girl squad come up to her without a second thought. They are clearly not "distancing" themselves from her.

So, either Fugiwara is autistic and can't pick up glaring obvious social ques or the quality of the writing is going down.

Take your pick, but neither is good.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Meh. I wouldn't feel to bad. There's already blatant story contradictions, and it's only been two chapters. Morinaga is losing her touch.

In chapter one the problem was posed that Fugiwara is depressed/upset because she does not think she has any friends/people don't like her. But in this chapter we are told that she has girls confess to her all the time which I fucking hate, and this is an awful story element, forced story progression galore, plus we see the fan girl squad come up to her without a second thought. They are clearly not "distancing" themselves from her.

So, either Fugiwara is autistic and can't pick up glaring obvious social ques or the quality of the writing is going down.

Eh, but those are girls from the volleyball team, which was already stated that they were the only people who would talk to her. I think she also verified the "has no friends" because she stated that she wasn't sure if the girls confessing were serious or not– as in, are they playing a joke on her?

I mean, with the lack of yuri I try not to be too picky and over-analytical. There are some stories that I really like, and think are well written and everything, but I try not to be too negative about the ones that don't match up to quality. Girlfriends itself was a normal high school cliche anyway, so I think this is just true to most Morinaga stories.

I'm happy when any new yuri comes out, period. And it depresses me when I have to wait a year to finish a story.

joined Dec 29, 2013

but those are girls from the volleyball team,

That does not really effect whether she should consider them friends or not.

she wasn't sure if the girls confessing were serious

Hence my point about her being autistic. Either way it's stupid of her to think people don't like her. You can safely assume the girls weren't laughing and giggling when she turned them down. So why would she think it's a joke?

I mean, with the lack of yuri I try not to be too picky and over-analytical.

I always am, I can't help it. I'd rather read nothing than lower my standards. That's just me.

Girlfriends itself was a normal high school cliche anyway

No it's not. Especially when you consider when it was written. Girlfriends might just be the one and only yuri manga that accurately portrays the growth of a same-sex attraction. There are more but those are two prime examples why it's not clichéd.

Japanese_eraser_cow_purple_large
joined Nov 5, 2011

Sigh, some people just think way too much and ruin it for everyone.

joined Dec 29, 2013

To much? I'd hardly call that more than a passing thought.

[hachimitsu_scans]_sweet_magic_syndrome_v01_c07_04
joined Aug 22, 2013

I agree with redmoo... I think it is a nice story!! cant wait for more~

joined Nov 11, 2013

All of the clothes Morinaga Milk draws, each half set is very stylish. Wait a minute...

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Firstly- whats to hate about that lots of girls confess to her? You mean you are jelous of a fictional characters popularity? Or do you mean there is something wrong with a girl being seen as some idol and confessed to? Because I dont see an issues here realy- except its not realy nice for Fugiwara to have false confessions that they arnt serious about.

Secondly she says she has no friends and you seem to think that she is missing social cues - what because of that group?? They are the basketball juniors- the only people who WILL aproach her- so that just leaves 95+% of the school that wont come near her.

And did they remotely look like they could become real friends? They are giddy 'oh what a wonderful prince squee' fangirls just like all the other girls, and only dare aproach her because they are in her club- You CANT be friends with people like that. Friends have to treat you equal and honestly and like you for who you are not stick you on a pedestal as something you arnt and gush and fawn over you.

And its clear she knows thats how she is being treated by them. You might say if she tried to hang out they could become real friends, but with juniors that hung up on her Im not sure you could.

Even tho she wanted this fake relationship because Fugiwara was like a prince too, we see plenty of times where Miu realy does treat her as an equal who could be a real friend- or more. Ofcourse it requires Miu to develop more - to grow up and get real etc and stop doing stuff for the wrong reasons and figure herself out but I think there is promise there.

So I dont agree with your points in the slightest.

p.s

As for length- well if its only quarterly it isnt gonna be too long- and you couldnt wrap it up well in just 2 or 3 more i think.. So id guess Morinaga will go for enough to make a tank out of it- so id guess like 8 chapters is normal tank length? Could try for 2 tanks worth i guess but that would be like 4 years!

last edited at Dec 29, 2013 5:24AM

joined Dec 29, 2013

Firstly- whats to hate about that lots of girls confess to her?

It says it in the spoiler.

You mean you are jelous of a fictional characters popularity?

Is there a reason you're being intentionally hostile?

Or do you mean there is something wrong with a girl being seen as some idol and confessed to?

There is, and it's the same reason that's in the spoiler.

except its not realy nice for Fugiwara to have false confessions thats they arnt serious about.

Can you rephrase this with better English. I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the people confessing to her are not serious? Because we already know that's not true.

Secondly she says she has no friends and you seem to think that she is missing social queues - what because of that group??

Again, this is in very poor English so I am not sure what you mean? Her main complaint is that people don't like her, friends is secondary because it's a given you have friends if people like you. She says "I wonder if people even like me." in chapter one, but if she could pick up on social ques she would already know the answer to that. I already pointed out that it's safe to say the girls who confess are not laughing when they do it, so she has no reason to think they are joking.

They are the basketball juniors

She is on the volleyball team, not basketball.

the only people who WILL aproach her

False. We know the girls that confess to her approach as well.

And its clear she knows thats how she is being treated by them.

"treated by them"? Do you mean treated well by them? That does not matter because given enough time they would see the real her as well. The only difference here is that Miu gets plot forced alone time with Fugiwara so she has the advantage of seeing "the real her". Any of the other girls given the same situation would reach the same conclusion.

So I dont agree with your points in the slightest.

I'm sorry but you have demonstrated that you have a very poor grasp on the English language and it shows because you have miss multiple points I have made in previous posts and the series itself.

It does not really matter whether you agree with me or not because ultimately I am right, and there are objective flaws in this series. You're free to like whatever you want. But that does not make it good.

Topbow3
joined Feb 11, 2013

I like it. Waiting for more

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

I agree with you, but I also agree with esn the girls that approached where on the Volleyball team which makes it easy to connect with them. Though it doesn't seem that the connection goes passed that because that was the first time they had done anything recreational together.

Now on the subject of confessions I agree there is no way to bypass that terrible writing contradiction. Though let's look at it this way, because she doesn't know the severity of those girl's "love" she probably assumes they're just in it for the usual reason, to fawn over her and treat her like some elusive creature that they have captured. That's all the underclassmen do as shown in the first chapter, and I am guessing the only girls that confess to her are the underclassmen.

BUT and this is a huge BUT if that were the case Fujiwara would be a hell of a lot smarter about the whole "fake" lover thing because essentially one of Miu's reasons for 'dating' Fujiwara is so that she can "show off". Even after stating that the only thing Fujiwara gets out of that is OMG FRIEND?! When Miu literally and blatantly admits to wanting to use her.

So Fujiwara as a character is in fuck up character drafting mode and to be honest I am kinda upset that Morinaga would throw such an experimental seeming character into a serialization for the world to gawk at.

AND TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO LITERALLY JUST SAID PEOPLE THINKING TOO MUCH RUINS STORY YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF TO BE 100% HONEST.

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

Fujiwara just comes across as an oddball and a social misfit. She can't read people, she doesn't make friends easily, and she has some unusual hobbies (zombie flicks, dragonfly catching). She doesn't fit in in a girl's school.

Meanwhile, Miu is vain and kind of disillusioned. Her mother's advice has screwed her up good. She places great stock in her appearance and how others view her. Hopefully Kaede's request will force her to realize how unfair she's been to Fujiwara so far, and how kind Fujiwara has been despite that.

I hope we see Fujiwara get a little emotional in the next chapter. So far she's been perfectly content just getting a friend to hang out with, but even her new friend is just using her. Miu would fall for her completely if Fujiwara cried.

joined Dec 29, 2013

Though it doesn't seem that the connection goes passed that because that was the first time they had done anything recreational together.

That is true, but it dose not change how her complaint was that people try to distance themselves from her. But we have two clear cases and examples of it being the opposite.

Though let's look at it this way, because she doesn't know the severity of those girl's "love" she probably assumes they're just in it for the usual reason

I see your point. But this assumes two very major aspects of the story.
1) That she has never seen any underclassman that wasn't "in love" with her. Are we to just accept that every underclassman in the school lusts after her? There is not a single one she can compare them to in order to find the norm?
2) That she has no exposure to outside mediums that would give her an understanding as to what underclassman usually act like. (And we can speculate this is untrue because she seems like a bit of a movie buff based on how she acted in the theater.)

No sane person would have a difficult time understanding what a person crying after you rejected their love confession means.

When Miu literally and blatantly admits to wanting to use her.

You know, I don't think this thought even crossed my mind because it was so obvious. You're right. Miu admits she's just using her and still thinks that they are somehow going be friends. It's cut and dry extortion, really. Because it's also under the condition that she not tell people that she broke the vase. Because even though Miu says to herself that she does not want to tell on Fujiwara. So as far as Fujiwara knows she's just extorting her.

Another point that is a clear contradiction is that Fujiwara notices Miu is upset being around all those people and steps in to help her, but she can't tell if the girls who confess to her are being sincere?

Ugh, the more I think about it the worse it gets. Morinaga needs to just scrap this project if you ask me.

Dynasty
joined Apr 18, 2013

I have to defend this manga. :D :D Because it reminds when I was around 16 and attended almost girl's school (there were six boys and twenty five girls at my class). At the beginning I didn't had any friends except boys because I was pretty different from other girls, but they somehow started to be interested in me and later on some of them even had crush on me. I fell in love with my first female friend though, who started talking to me and we even "pretended" to be a couple because of her stupid exboyfriend (even though the ending wasn't very happy). So as you can see this story is quite realistic, at least for me. And I have to admit I have loved all Morinaga's works so far. :)

joined Dec 29, 2013

I don't think you quite understand what is being said in the conversation. Isn't this an English website?

For one; that story is probably not true, and you are just using it as a means to defend to Morinaga's work that you admittedly like unbiasedly. But ever if it were, it is no way similar to this situation in this series and does not help disprove the contradictions at all.

The criticisms comes from the story having blatant character contradictions, not whether you can fall in love with a friend. I'm honestly not even sure how you even came to that conclusion. It was never a question of realism, even though it does not have that either. Because contrary to popular belief all girls schools and not filled to the brim with raging lesbians.

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

I have to defend this manga. :D :D Because it reminds when I was around 16 and attended almost girl's school (there were six boys and twenty five girls at my class). At the beginning I didn't had any friends except boys because I was pretty different from other girls, but they somehow started to be interested in me and later on some of them even had crush on me. I fell in love with my first female friend though, who started talking to me and we even "pretended" to be a couple because of her stupid exboyfriend (even though the ending wasn't very happy). So as you can see this story is quite realistic, at least for me. And I have to admit I have loved all Morinaga's works so far. :)

Ahhh.....even with your experience the argument isn't about the real world validity of the story it's about the crappy character writing and contradictions. I love Morinaga too but I am a realist and I story writer myself so when I see bullshit I call bullshit.

joined Dec 29, 2013

Actually, to quote myself.

Because contrary to popular belief all girls schools and not filled to the brim with raging lesbians.

I honestly thought Morinaga was above writing stories with this awful cliché, but to see it used by her, and so poorly at that is kind of disappointing. More lesbians does not make a story better. Intelligent writing does.

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

Though it doesn't seem that the connection goes passed that because that was the first time they had done anything recreational together.

That is true, but it dose not change how her complaint was that people try to distance themselves from her. But we have two clear cases and examples of it being the opposite.

Though let's look at it this way, because she doesn't know the severity of those girl's "love" she probably assumes they're just in it for the usual reason

I see your point. But this assumes two very major aspects of the story.
1) That she has never seen any underclassman that wasn't "in love" with her. Are we to just accept that every underclassman in the school lusts after her? There is not a single one she can compare them to in order to find the norm?
2) That she has no exposure to outside mediums that would give her an understanding as to what underclassman usually act like. (And we can speculate this is untrue because she seems like a bit of a movie buff based on how she acted in the theater.)

No sane person would have a difficult time understanding what a person crying after you rejected their love confession means.

When Miu literally and blatantly admits to wanting to use her.

You know, I don't think this thought even crossed my mind because it was so obvious. You're right. Miu admits she's just using her and still thinks that they are somehow going be friends. It's cut and dry extortion, really. Because it's also under the condition that she not tell people that she broke the vase. Because even though Miu says to herself that she does not want to tell on Fujiwara. So as far as Fujiwara knows she's just extorting her.

Another point that is a clear contradiction is that Fujiwara notices Miu is upset being around all those people and steps in to help her, but she can't tell if the girls who confess to her are being sincere?

Ugh, the more I think about it the worse it gets. Morinaga needs to just scrap this project if you ask me.

Yes we do have two examples of that being the opposite but as a whole what I am saying is that Fujiwara must perceive all social interaction a superficial because none of those people are her "friends" and that is actually what I'm kinda angry about EVERYTHING FEELS SUPERFICIAL except for the "main couple" which is gonna get lovey dovey after some VERY FORCED angst =w=.

EXACTLY this manga is leading me to ASSUME things about the population, I swear EVERY underclassmen you have been shown so far has been in the Fujiwara Fan club the only serious one you have actually SEEN is Miu's so called friend. What I mean is not that every underclassmen is in lust it's just cutesy starstruck syndrome where they all 'like' the tomboyish athlete but that's it, it's just LIKE it's not love until they say so. Like I said all the underclassmen we were shown have just been a bunch of fangirls and if any of them were serious well damn they totally blended in with the rest of the crazy fans.

So yes and yes I agree with you that Morinaga wrote a socially retarded character who is uncharacteristically astute to the feelings of the main character i.e. the love interest.

I thought the fact that Miu so easily admits she wants to use her was an okayish idea but was executed terribly. To be honest I'd hate to see this scrapped I'd love to see it heavily revised though =w=;;;

Sj%20celine%20icon
joined Mar 2, 2013

Actually, to quote myself.

Because contrary to popular belief all girls schools and not filled to the brim with raging lesbians.

I honestly thought Morinaga was above writing stories with this awful cliché, but to see it used by her, and so poorly at that is kind of disappointing. More lesbians does not make a story better. Intelligent writing does.

THANK YOU! I positively hate the whole all girls school EVERYONE IS LESBOS idea, except when it's done correctly in the more deceitful sub plot idea way.

Morinaga does a very good job at avoiding this cliche usually doesn't necessarily mean she can't write it but in this case she needs to rethink the idea.

To reply you must either login or sign up.