ForumNews Welcome to the new reader!

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

After the host issues for the past month we are finally fully back online with our new reader.

The old reader was definitely showing its age (especially within the backend). It served its purpose very well for the past 3 years, and vastly outgrew and succeeded our initial expectations. So I decided to take advantage of moving to a new host to rewrite the entire reader from scratch. This will give us a much better base to maintain and to add features going forward. Here are some highlights of the new features that have already implemented.

• Improved reading lists: Ability to create custom reading lists that can be made public, so you can share with your friends.
  • Suggest tags feature: Think some item has wrong tags associated with it? You can now submit how you think it should be changed, for the moderators to easily review and implemente.
  • Improved searching: More advanced search results

The new reader isn't finished, its going to be constantly evolving and adding new features . So I would love to hear any comments, suggestions, or criticisms you have.

Uploading should be resuming shortly. We will try to catch up on everything we missed during our downtime, but please let us know if we miss anything.

fixed not being able to reply to News posts, whoops

MrE Edit: If you disagree quite strongly with a tag being there (or not being there/rejected) then by all means make a post and contest it with us or hop onto the irc and poke us down. If you'd rather just bring it to our attention, then by all means fire and forget.

last edited at Jan 31, 2013 10:19PM

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

\o\

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

/o/

__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

\o/

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Is "Random" feature removed deliberately or temporary? I loved that thing.

Dynasty-edited-winter-pharm
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 29, 2010

Good job omnscient0. Love the new design.

and thank you God (you know who you are :P)

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

OMG so beautiful!!!!! I love it!! I remember when there was only a few mangas to read in dynasty scans. This website has come a long way since then. Good job guys and thank u for the hard work u put into everything u do in Dynasty scans. As a huge fan of dynasty scans I thank u all!!! thank u XD!

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

Omedetou~

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I am so glad. Sob. So glad.

Not totally on board with the new design yet (chaaaaaannge i cnt deal with it) but I'm sure I'll grow used to it. Just great to see this back finally.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

@Thiron, that was an oversight. I never really used it that much so I totally forgot about it.

It should be back shortly, just need to find a place to put the link. Since I am not sure it is used enough to get a dedicated spot in navbar,

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Can you return thumbnails to the series page?
Is is possible to extend the page background (White space) to encompass the page and have the tags at the bottom rather than top? Along with the tags at the bottom can it have the select page box that is present on the old one?

Currently online counter is missing from the forums.

And can you have the header, body, etc span to 100% vertical and horizontal rather than just being an arbitrary distance?

Last thought, since you're no longer using it can I have the source from the previous reader? I really liked it and would like to have it for personal reading and CSS scripting.

The little illustrations at the top of the reader and the banners on the main site were pretty good too, it would be nice to be able to see them again, in a gallery or somewhere.

last edited at Jan 30, 2013 8:45PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I think something's wrong, it keeps flipping between the two versions. Have you considered using git to control the revisions?
Your /assets/ directory is missing, the favicon is gone along with some dropdown menu stylesheets.

last edited at Jan 30, 2013 8:56PM

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I think something's wrong, it keeps flipping between the two versions. Have you considered using git to control the revisions?

Sounds like a DNS issue. The new site is on a totally new server, and doesn't have a copy of the old code or PHP on it. Most likely your secondary DNS hasn't received the update entry yet.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

That's weird, I'm using google's DNS with no secondary.
That's really not as important as my previous critique.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

Can you return thumbnails to the series page?

Do you mean the browse series page (http://dynasty-scans.com/series)? That is something I am planing on doing. Atm I think of having a toggle at top switch between list view (what it is currently) and thumbnail view

Is is possible to extend the page background (White space) to encompass the page

Are you referring to the read chapter page? Most of the reason it is like is now for when you have large horizontal pages. Personally I think the design looks better this way.

and have the tags at the bottom rather than top?

I don't see the gain of moving them totally out of the way so no one would see them.

Along with the tags at the bottom can it have the select page box that is present on the old one?

I am not sure what you are talking about. The page list is almost entirely the same as before

Currently online counter is missing from the forums.

Yea, its not going to come back. I don't think it really is that useful of a feature. The new forums are made to be very lightweight

And can you have the header, body, etc span to 100% vertical and horizontal rather than just being an arbitrary distance?

I think fixed width works better for the content of the reader. There is too much empty and unused space on large resolutions on most pages.

Last thought, since you're no longer using it can I have the source from the previous reader? I really liked it and would like to have it for personal reading and CSS scripting.

This is not something we would do for a variety of reasons.

The little illustrations at the top of the reader and the banners on the main site were pretty good too, it would be nice to be able to see them again, in a gallery or somewhere.

For now we are going to stick to just customizing the logo.

Overall most of suggestion are just saying making it just like the old reader, without really saying why. If you disagree with what I said, please say why you think it would be better your way.

last edited at Jan 30, 2013 9:09PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

The blank space isn't hidden by having things blocked out as floating objects, it's exacerbated. The scroll wheel at the bottom was a box that could be used to select what page to be on, it was a dropdown box at the bottom, the reason that I want that back is that on the mobile version of the site when pages lag out it is much easier to select pages using that and then refresh the page to get to the desired page. The gain of putting tags at the bottom rather than top is that no one can see them if they don't want to, it becomes less intrusive and more of an optional feature than a main focus of the page. As for the background, I think I'll just edit the CSS myself and use it as a userscript, the aesthetic of it as a full page is much better because of the dimensions of my monitor which are higher than usual so the page is smaller than usual even when zoomed in. I can just get the source myself from the old site so that's okay. I hope you do reconsider the logos and banners, I liked them quite a bit and hope to see them again. As for your last point, yes most of my suggestions are to return the reader to it's old state, but that is because it was both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional on all of my devices, there is a fair bit of functionality that has been lost and I personally don't like the aesthetics but that I can edit myself it's just going to be a bit of work.

omnscient0 Admin
Apple
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 1, 2010

I didn't realize you were talking about mobile version. That something I plan to look into more soon.

I get why you might want tags on the bottom, but I think that is throwing the baby out with the bath water type of situation. On some pages I think the tag list does draw too much focus, which I am going to try to look into.

I personally strongly disliked 1/2 of the banners on the main site. On the reader I liked the center image backgrounds. But we only had a few of them, and it was an extremely difficult space for an image to fit and look good.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I have a copy of all the banners and css files now. You should probably disable the old site chatbox. Also for mobile and normal version the download page function seems to be missing, that was good for bypassing the image caching feature and made it use less RAM to read, essential on older mobile devices such as mine, and made it easier to download single pages for various reasons.

joined Jan 11, 2013

O_O so much more mobile friendly

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I'm on my mobile device and I can't see anything. The page selection sidebar takes up too much room, the tags and othe things clutter at the top takes up an entre screen and a half, the pate does not scale to a readable size, it really needs to take up 100% of the screen to read on the iPhone. There's a random arrow that appears and won't go away. The floating effects seem to be hogging a lot moredata than the plain whit background did. Again with the single page downloads helping read with large pages and the jump to page box at the bottom being needed.
The old site really worked well with mobile, you should build from that not just rework it entirely. The page took up a good amount if space, the other elements were limited and plain and did not take time to load, the sidebar wasnot there, and the page could be downloaded if you couldn't load the image. Please do away with this quickly, while I disagree with the aesthetics of the non mobile site this is non functional.
Upon further inspection this is completely unuseable, page loading time has increased, readibility is negligible, please rework this quickly.

last edited at Jan 31, 2013 12:10AM

22214857kbszzphu
joined Jul 21, 2012

Yay! Thanks for the effort guys ^^;

208728_162802110442936_100001394449604_361908_7568480_n
joined Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for you very very ^0^

joined Nov 11, 2010

Hmm. How about links to the scanlator group on their directory page, or something? Those links used to be there, but I can't find them right now for some reason.

Really awesome to have you guys back, btw. I've been lacking my regular intake of yuri. The new interface thus far is quite a bit different from the old one, but I think I will get used to it just fine.

Sweet_yuri_avatar_2_by_sapphiresophilia
joined Jan 31, 2013

The downloads aren't working properly for me. It downloads the right file, but it downloads the file indefinitely. I'm not sure what's wrong :x

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Thank you for editing the mobile view to hide the slider, but you still need to have the loading box appear on the page, the arrows be hidden and not appear, have the page scale to 100% width and proportional height so that it's readable, have a page selector, and have download page links for large (FWPA mainly) pages.

To reply you must either login or sign up.