7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

this is nothing like the anime sigh...

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

this is nothing like the anime sigh...

Actually it is. Both a 6-episode OVA and a 26-episode television series were made, and the manga (which is the original version) bears similarities to and differences from both at times. Actually I consider the manga the best of the three versions. It certainly is in terms of yuri.

joined Feb 1, 2013

Didn't know there were animated series. Are they any good ? Are they subbed in english ?

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

They were both released on DVD in the US - long, long ago. From my understanding, the Battle Athletes television series was actually the very first anime series ever to be released on DVD in the West.

Yes, they're both quite good. The OVA has a more serious, epic feel, and being far shorter, of course things move much more quickly. The television series is much more humorous and relies on a lot of gags and wacky situations, as well as obviously having more time to develop the characters. They also both have an appreciable amount of yuri content - especially so for their time - the details and ultimate resolutions of which are different from each other (and from the manga).

In any case, they're both definitely worth watching if you can find them. They were some of my earliest anime purchases and I continue to cherish them. Indeed, it was my enjoyment of them that led me to want to work on the manga. (Although I can say that I find the manga version the most satisfying of the three now that I've had the chance to see it.) They might be difficult to acquire these days given their age, but they're also liable to be cheap if you do.

Anyway, next chapter of the manga should be out before too long. I'm working on it right now.

last edited at Mar 25, 2013 7:56PM

joined Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for answering. Alas I'm not in the US, so it wiil be difficult for me to find them.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Im realy liking this- glad its being translated because there is alot of stuff new from either anime- and it seems better imo- Tho im a fan of both anime :) The TV is alot less serious - and if this has more yuri then all the better!

And Silveda, it may be hard to find, but id bet there may be torrents of it, or the dvds on sale online somewhere.

joined Feb 1, 2013

Sad chapter. T_T

And I think I won't like the old geezer that appeared out of nowhere.

last edited at Apr 6, 2013 5:19PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Don't worry, he won't appear much on the whole. Although he does have some rather unorthodox obstacles planned to liven up the triathlon...

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I really love how old-school this is, so incredibly 90's. I actually enjoy this kind of style (like Slayer's Etc.), and although the art can be kind of wonky at times (Ayla's hair is just insane), I really like it. I also really appreciate Zefiberyl Translations' work in translating something so old and strangely untranslated, thank you ever so much!

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

The artist certainly does seem to have a thing for hair, whether long thick and elaborate (Akari, Jessie, and some others as yet unmet), or done up in strange styles - Ayla's certainly, but wait until you see Lahrri's bizarrely aerodynamic delta-wing of hair. It makes the characters more memorable though. I always found Akari's "hair-antlers", as I think of them, charming. Jessie also has a Meaningful Style Change later in the manga. Not a shortening, don't worry, just an alteration in how she wears it.

Another_random_anime_girl_render__by_bakachasity-d5qdads
joined Feb 8, 2011

Personally, Lahri's personality is better in the OVA; she is more in touch with her humanity.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I think I liked this more than how this bit went down in the animes - where she starts off depressed and not even trying. I like how she helps people along the way, how they wait for akari on the beach - and also how the end of the race isnt stupid.

In the anime she falls with like a few hundred meters to go- and dosnt get up till Icchan shouts at her to. Then somehow even though she and jessie were previously on a par more or less, she gets up and beats jessie who by this time must be a hundred meters ahead at least- i.e she'd have to literaly have run 3 times faster than she did previously - and she just isnt THAT fast. This manga version was just a realstic sprint between the 3, all pretty close together.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I agree. The TV series really does ratchet up Akari's lack of self-confidence to a painful degree, mainly to fill time I suspect. She was much less mopey in the OVA; with only six episodes, there was no time to spend on that. I've often felt that one of the real strengths of the (now sadly extinct) six-ep OVA format was that there wasn't much time to waste on anything but keeping the plot focused and moving forward. No spare rope for the writers to hang themselves with, so to speak.

In this, as in most other areas, the manga seems to be balanced between the two. She does have moments of self-doubt, but they tend to be reasonable in proportion and fairly quickly overcome.

last edited at May 11, 2013 4:09AM

Seohyuncropped
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

For those not averse to torrents, BakaBT have both the 6ep OVA and 26ep TV series. They're apparently dual audio, Eng soft-sub (signs are hard-subbed).

joined May 28, 2013

On the translator credits page, does anyone know what manga the image used is from?

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

On the translator credits page, does anyone know what manga the image used is from?

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/oniyuri_san_and_himeyuri_san#30

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for another chapter Zefi :)

I see Mylandah is as psycho as she was in the anime's. I seem to remember she was alot worse in one version, forget which- the ova?

I always thought they went way over the top with her- she's obviously insane and no way she'd be on the satalite - she'd be locked up in a padded cell on drugs and never let out.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Yes, it was the OVA, although I'd say her manga version is even more violent and unstable. She was watered down in the TV version, probably due to its much more comedic slant. As I've said before, the manga is much closer to the OVA in tone.

She's nuts alright, and I agree that I don't see how she doesn't get thrown out for stunts like this - except of course because she's the designated "villain". However, what ultimately ends up happening with her is....hmhmhm...something you almost certainly won't see coming. I sure didn't. Look forward to it.

last edited at Jul 5, 2013 1:30PM

Tumblr_mpynm4dyml1qjj8e7o1_400
joined May 24, 2013

Man, I wish it was Akari x Jessie I feel like they would be a good couple and very cute also.

Images%20(10)
joined Apr 30, 2013

awesome awesome looking forward to the next chapters .. :))

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for another great chapter Cryssoberyl :)

One thing I wonder - back when this was written, didnt they know much wind resistance? They dont seem very proffesional with those mad hairstyles - especially lahrri's huge sail and chris's big sausage lol - no way you could run your best like that!

last edited at Nov 18, 2013 7:14PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

It's not intended to be realistic at all, like most anime and manga. If you really want to nitpick, most of the girls aren't physically built like athletes trained from a young age would be, either. However, it is a fact that 90's anime and manga in particular are remembered for their flamboyant, often impossible hairstyles. Not that there aren't also plenty of modern examples, but...

Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

Lol seriously sometimes Akari's "negative-ness" pisses me offfff ^^;

joined Jun 14, 2013

This isn't even a yuri :/

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

It isn't yet, but it will be.

To reply you must either login or sign up.