Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Anon99

The basic idea involves a woman who finds herself on an enormous spaceship with no memories of who she is or how she got there. She finds that the ship is being retrofit, probably forcefully, by robotic beings who themselves are in conflict with a mysterious girl who seems unsettled by her presence. The story unfolds from there.

Sounds interesting... I'm a sucker for good sci-fi stuff so I'd really like to read it...
If I'm still around when you've finished writing it, please remind me again ^^

Well, I'll certainly be promoting it here in any case. Although I guarantee I won't remember this specific conversation. And, likely, neither will you. So it's all good.

The setting with the ship kinda reminds me of a movie I saw not so long ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum#Plot
Not the best movie out there... just the spaceship and the amnesia part that made me remember it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q42L4XNVhQ

Hmm, doesn't really sound like the sort of thing I'd be in a hurry to watch, to be honest.

Mine is intended to deal with themes of memory and identity, both of which manifest differently with each of the three factions on the ship.

I want that sort of air of mystery and solitude that permeates Blame!, so I want to get my skills to the point where I can pull off something with more of a literary tone.

That's exactly what I loved about Blame!
It's hard to create such depth with a few pictures... I'm sure it'll be even harder to get that vibe across with words... but I hope you'll manage to do exactly that, then you'd officially become my favorite author and I wouldn't mind throwing my money at you! ^^

Well, I promise to try, although I can't guarantee I'll necessarily take it in the same direction as Blame!, despite being inspired by it. One must do as the muse compels, after all. But I will do my best to make it good regardless.

The big question is whether I'll be doing that, my Miyazaki-inspired idea, or my AI romance novel first. When I get to doing novels, that is.

Ever since I read Blame! I've been looking for other stories with a similar feel to it but up to now I couldn't manage to find anything like it...

Did you read Noise as well?

I did, although it's been so long I barely recall the story. After I read Blame!, I followed up by reading everything of his that was translated at the time.

(Not sure if you like this kind of music but here's a soundtrack that always made me think of Blame! for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z10AlFDQfY

I liked Tetsuo, and the soundtrack is pretty good although I didn't actually notice music in the film itself for the most part. Which says something about how gripping the visuals were. Never bothered with the sequel, there's no way it could live up to how raw and trippy the first one was.

Apparently they damn near electrocuted the lead a couple of times, filming in junkyards and such. Surprising he didn't get tetanus at the very minimum.

Tumblr_lolhmrwbnl1qiyxpbo4_250
joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Rina

That song actually does fit, somehow...

You like the drama of the story, so here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TG4LBBXedc
It's not the manga that makes me think of this song but rather that post you really wanted me to read and the way you described the story with your own words... not sure if you'll see it too though ^^

@ Old Fart

Speaking of good sci-fi, has anyone here read the novels that the SyFy series The Expanse is based upon?

Can't say that I have, sorry...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I haven't read any SF novels in quite a while, but I just got a subscription to Apex Magazine, so I expect I'll be reading a bunch of short stories soon.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

You made your 777th post Anon ! Thats a Jackpot !

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 10:20PM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

You like the drama of the story, so here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TG4LBBXedc
It's not the manga that makes me think of this song but rather that post you really wanted me to read and the way you described the story with your own words... not sure if you'll see it too though ^^

Can't say that I'm seeing it actually :/ I've grown too detached from english songs ^ _ ^"

Speaking of songs, here's one of my favorite tracks from the 48 Family, SKE48's Kataomoi Finally,

http://alive.in.th/watch_video.php?v=G4ORS6G2X912

I haven't read any SF novels

I never knew @SF wrote novels :p

last edited at Nov 18, 2016 10:53PM

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ Nezchan

Although I guarantee I won't remember this specific conversation.

This makes me feel so insignificant T_T (Which I probably am, but still...) ;)

Hmm, doesn't really sound like the sort of thing I'd be in a hurry to watch, to be honest.

Yeah, it isn't really worth a recommendation... you're right.
I just saw it in the middle of the night on TV recently and kept watching 'cause I liked the visuals somehow...

Mine is intended to deal with themes of memory and identity, both of which manifest differently with each of the three factions on the ship.

Compelling theme.

The big question is whether I'll be doing that, my Miyazaki-inspired idea, or my AI romance novel first. When I get to doing novels, that is.

You seem to be overflowing with ideas! That's good.
Have you written any other sci-fi stories so far? Short stories or anything like it...

I did, although it's been so long I barely recall the story. After I read Blame!, I followed up by reading everything of his that was translated at the time.

Unfortunately it's been a few years for me as well, so I don't wanna say anything stupid... but whatever, I always wondered so I'm going to give it a shot and ask you anyways:
I always had a feeling that Susono Musubi from Noise (the main charakter) was Sanakan who later appeared on Blame! as well... But as far as I remember I couldn't find any facts to prove it …
And I never really got the chance to discuss this with other people who actually read the story.
So I'm just curious about your thoughts on this... In case you remember anything...

joined Jun 22, 2016

@ SF

You made your 777th post Anon ! Thats a Jackpot !

And it's gone already... I shouldn't have posted anything else after that... O.O

@ Rina

I've grown too detached from english songs ^ _ ^"

I've noticed that as well ;)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Anon99

You seem to be overflowing with ideas! That's good.

Well, ideas beget ideas. The more you have, the more you get. There's another concept I have as well, but I'll hold on to that for now.

Have you written any other sci-fi stories so far? Short stories or anything like it...

Well, I did a BDSM-alternate universe flash fic a while back called A Mirror's Surrender and an AI romance called I Will Hum Tears As I Say Goodbye, which honestly didn't get much response when I originally posted it. The one I've got in critique right now, and should have posted by the end of the month, is We Build Yesterday, a SF satire about creationism that has married lesbians as the leads, although it's not romance at all.

That's about it so far. Neither of the stories I'm currently writing (I tend to do them in pairs lately) are SF. One is modern-day romance, not genre at all (yeah, yeah, I know romance is a genre) and the other is a Rule 63 gangster romp.

Unfortunately it's been a few years for me as well, so I don't wanna say anything stupid... but whatever, I always wondered so I'm going to give it a shot and ask you anyways:
I always had a feeling that Susono Musubi from Noise (the main charakter) was Sanakan who later appeared on Blame! as well... But as far as I remember I couldn't find any facts to prove it …
And I never really got the chance to discuss this with other people who actually read the story.
So I'm just curious about your thoughts on this... In case you remember anything...

Doesn't she only make a cameo in Blame!? I forget for sure though. I do remember that Noise is about how the building started and the beginning of the corruption.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

I've noticed that as well ;)

My music ratio is pretty much 98% Jpn and 2% Eng ^ _ ^"

And speaking of stories, I really should get around to writing that yandere yuri story that I had in mind soon...based roughly on this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrxZgUq_1k

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

I'm drinking Miso Soup from my mug while watching the Overlord dub atm, it's great (lol)

Tumblr_ogrev97nel1tx2rdco1_250
joined Nov 10, 2016

So many posts over the past day @ O @ I don't know how to catch up at all with these posts.

Speaking of songs, here's one of my favorite tracks from the 48 Family, SKE48's Kataomoi Finally,

http://alive.in.th/watch_video.php?v=G4ORS6G2X912

Looks like a yuri love triangle story that doesn't end well. Don't understand what the partying scenes were supposed to mean.

Just going leave this here for Rina, I caved in and read Netsuzou Trap last night. Was okay, nothing too special. Hotaru and Yuma look adorable together (◡‿◡✿)

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Good morning/evening, guys ^_^
It 's seems to be a sunny day here, I hope sun will brighten your Saturday as well

^ haha, me too but I enjoy going through the posts while taking a sip of coffee

9bdd23b1-1e6c-4540-bdac-7a7a8d9c3658
joined Jan 19, 2014

Good morning/evening, guys ^_^
It 's seems to be a sunny day here, I hope sun will brighten your Saturday as well

^ haha, me too but I enjoy going through the posts while taking a sip of coffee

Morning! OwO I didn't get to have coffee which sucks but at least it's a sunny morning ^ 0 ^ though it's freezing here in London ahaha xD I'm in a car cos my mother offered to drive me to CYM (centre for younge musicians) today, how sweet of her :,) my energy level is very low probably cos of that one sleepless night of essays lol.

joined Jan 19, 2014

I'm drinking Miso Soup from my mug while watching the Overlord dub atm, it's great (lol)

Ooohh, I actual really liked overlord xD something about his power over everything that makes me happy cos this is the first time where the main characters has not faced a strong enough enemy!

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

Neko chan

oh, poor you.. then maybe playing the piano will provide the energy you need ;)
but be careful not to catch a cold.. it's the same weather as in here, you have a verygood mother there! :)
and just to join the others on the matter - you are a very talented kitty^^ happy to have you around

oh, well.. I was planning to spend my Saturday quietly at home.. sleeping/lazing around...
but no, a slight change in plans - I'm going to another town with a friend to watch a soccer match xD perks of having a friend married to a soccer player/coach ^_^

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 4:44AM

joined Jan 19, 2014

Neko chan

oh, poor you.. then maybe playing the piano will provide the energy you need ;)
but be careful not to catch a cold.. it's the same weather as in here, you have a verygood mother there! :)
and just to join the others on the matter - you are a very talented kitty^^ happy to have you around

Aaw, nyu thank you! Q//w//Q happy to be here my cat comrade <3 Yep, I'm trying to stay as far as possible from my classmates cos there's another bug going around and everybody's getting ill so I don't wanna catch it ahaha xD. Off to my choir practice, followed my music composition and then my piano lesson, hopefully I will survive this sleepy day and get a coffee as soon as I get the chance! A

Edit: omg that's really nice, yep it's good to go out, enjoy Th match ;3!

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 4:49AM

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

^lol... You are very busy.. good luck to you!!

Hah, you know about the secret kitty plan of world domination... even Trump will be helpless against our joined forces smirk xD

Phpol1pm9_c1pm
joined Feb 3, 2015

@Anon

Hey! That's great! Congratulations!!!!!!! (ˆ⌣ˆ)/

I'm proud of you! (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑

So the third time really is a charm, huh...? ;)

Oh >//< Thank you!! You are very nice! :)
Truth to be told - I'm not proud of myself, could've done much better passing from the first time ;)

Not sure about the 3d time charm.. imo the magic of stubbornness can break some walls ;)

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

yawn

Good evening guys, just slept for like 4 hrs (lol) ^ o ^

Looks like a yuri love triangle story that doesn't end well. Don't understand what the partying scenes were supposed to mean.

The yuri love triangle between Rena (the focal girl), Jurina (the "player") and Churi (Jurina's "first" girlfriend) is pretty obvious; though it should actually be a love quad given the 4th girl that appears mid-PV. The party might be just a "regular" party...not clear of it's significance either.

Just going leave this here for Rina, I caved in and read Netsuzou Trap last night. Was okay, nothing too special. Hotaru and Yuma look adorable together (◡‿◡✿)

Surprised that you actually read it, then again, who could resist the charms of Hotaru for so long (lol), glad that you found it enjoyable at least ^ _ ^ Btw I loved your comment on the thread itself, just what I needed to see when I woke up.

Off to my choir practice, followed my music composition and then my piano lesson, hopefully I will survive this sleepy day and get a coffee as soon as I get the chance! A

Have a great day ahead!

Not sure about the 3d time charm.. imo the magic of stubbornness can break some walls ;)

You shall break down those walls and make the school pay for them ;D

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPkcjuZDGA

1 hr of Papika saying "Cocona~ Cocona~ Cocona~"

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Did Serena only read the chapters on the reader, or up to ch12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPkcjuZDGA

1 hr of Papika saying "Cocona~ Cocona~ Cocona~"

Fucking amazing
I thought it was just the same scene/line but np, it was like 50 of them compiled in a minute
Made me appreciate Papika's voice acting a lot more, it just felt really nice to hear for some reason, all those lines stringed together

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 6:56AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I'm assuming until Chapter 12 :o Just have to wait for her to come online again to get an answer.

joined Nov 10, 2016

Did Serena only read the chapters on the reader, or up to ch12?

I read up to ch12 on my phone! (^ ^) The drama was easier to handle than I anticipated.

The yuri love triangle between Rena (the focal girl), Jurina (the "player") and Churi (Jurina's "first" girlfriend) is pretty obvious; though it should actually be a love quad given the 4th girl that appears mid-PV.

So those were their names! I like Rena (^‿^)

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 7:23AM

joined Nov 10, 2016

Surprised that you actually read it, then again, who could resist the charms of Hotaru for so long (lol), glad that you found it enjoyable at least

I had to know what made you so passionate and head-over-heels about it hehe. I kinda enjoyed the story actually, it had a mature atmosphere to it, not just in the situations that Hotaru and Yuma get themselves into but just the general themes that they're dealing with. I think the manga does a great job in highlighting the darker and more controversial aspects of love that we as consumers tend to gloss over in effort of picturing an idealized relatonship. I saw Girl Friends mentioned a couple pages back, and I can't help but think of this as a darker and more intense story of 2 girls discovering and exploring their sexuality, trying to validate their feelings for eachother. The themes that it explores might not show the brightest or noblest side of love, but I think Hotaru and Yuma has something beautiful in their relationship that should be cherished and allowed to blossom.

While I don't necessarily share the same amount of passion you do towards it, nor view it as a masterpiece, I'm glad to be able to expand my horizons a little into yuri stories that are not all innocent and fluffy.

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 7:59AM

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ I see you have what I call a reviewer's spirit; as in, being able to articulate your thoughts into words.

Your post was interesting to read and I would like to continue this further, but I think the topic has gone on for quite long enough in this thread ^ _ ^" longer than I wanted it to be anyways.

last edited at Nov 19, 2016 8:10AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.