Forum › Happiest Day in the Universe discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Aww, how sad that Nico-chi forgot her own Birthday.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Daaaaaaaaaaa....aaaaaaaaaaaw

joined Oct 21, 2013

Aww, how sad that Nico-chi forgot her own Birthday.

It's not Nico's birthday but some wordplay/

Feb 5 -> 2 5 -> Nico

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I still don't get how the word play was used in that scene. Regardless, I found it to be a nice read.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Like the new year's poem:

Na-ka-ki-yo-no (Of the long night) { naga long goes to naka but doesnt mean center}
To-o-no-ne-fu-ri-no mi-na-me-sa-me (everyone awakens from a distant sleep)
Na-mi-no-ri-fu-ne-no (the surfing boat's)
O-to-no-yo-ki-ka-na (pleasant sounds)

The "go" is made into a voiceless "ko" but i am surprised children would do that sort of wordplay.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I still don't get how the word play was used in that scene. Regardless, I found it to be a nice read.

To make a pun or a palindrome in Japanese it's "permitted" to take voiced sounds, especially the "guh" and turn them into voiceless equivalents like "kuh"

In this case the actual japanese is ni-go (2-5) but they are turning the go into ko by the "voiced consonant can be equal to voiceless consonant" rule to match ni-ko.

See how much Japanese you can learn from doujins?

if you recite the poem I pasted above (a palindrome - in a moderate sing-song) after writing it on a piece of paper, then fold it into a boat, then put it under your pillow, your first dream of the new year will be good.

last edited at Jun 6, 2016 12:42AM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

Utterly adorable. I can't for the life of me understand why "chibis" wasn't translated, though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.