Forum › WDTFS fans - off topic

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

My degree is in physics. For the most part, my family is supportive but a lot of the males give me a hard time. It's so wonderful the way they completely invalidate my degree and apparently think fixing an AC is akin to engineering. I swear every 5 minutes they'd ask me inane questions such as "Why does this float? C'mon, it's just physics. You probably only add and subtract all day" You're wrong. I just use cute little equations like x=y, all day. >__> //end rant

Was never an issue for me with my family since they're mostly doctors and engineers anyway, but I was surrounded by guys in the math department when I was in college. I remember taking a real analysis course which was an upper level requirement for all math majors, and there were only 2 other women in a class of 30. It was almost all international students as well. I was the only female US citizen of the bunch, and even I'm the child of first generation immigrants. There were more women when I took statistics courses, but regardless, if you're in a scientific or mathematical field that isn't biology, you're going to be in the minority as a woman and people are going to have an abundance of misconceptions about what you've studied.

Yeah, I'm quickly finding this out to be true.. A lot of males think I just add and subtract all day. I think I'm also like the 2nd female out of 30 people in my complex analysis course. I know there are only 2 females in the entire physics department >__> What degree/field are you in, dofudofu?

last edited at May 30, 2016 2:54PM

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Yeah, I'm quickly finding this out to be true.. A lot of males think I just add and subtract all day. I think I'm also like the 2nd female out of 30 people in my complex analysis course. I know there are only 2 females in the entire physics department >__> What degree/field are you in, dofudofu?

Hang in there :) I graduated with a mathematics degree 8 years ago and took a lot of statistics/econometrics-related courses as well. I was about to accept an offer to a doctorate program in statistics and decided to defer a year and then ended up declining. Part of me really wanted to do it just because I could and there's something about that kind of recognition that I wanted, but it became really clear to me that I didn't actually have the passion. My mentor/eventual ex-girlfriend/best friend really thought I was going to follow in her footsteps and I think I admired her so much that I wanted it to happen for a long time, but when it came down to it I just couldn't commit. I ended a up programmer for a pharmaceutical research company for a few years, but was unhappy with the corporate world and life in general. Now I do very different work, but I'm quite happy with the more easy-going lifestyle. I get to write a lot and as long as I'm making the company money I get a lot of creative freedom. Life takes you down all sorts of paths, but I say a physics degree is a great place to start ;)

last edited at May 30, 2016 3:12PM

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

The burden of proof generally lies on every woman striving for a future excluding kids and time spend in the kitchen to serve a husband/family. It should by now be a concept of the past, and at least politically it is, but society moves a lot slower, unfortunately.

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

Hang in there :) I graduated with a mathematics degree 8 years ago and took a lot of statistics/econometrics-related courses as well. I was about to accept an offer to a doctorate program in statistics and decided to defer a year and then ended up declining. Part of me really wanted to do it just because I could and there's something about that kind of recognition that I wanted, but it became really clear to me that I didn't actually have the passion. My mentor/eventual ex-girlfriend/best friend really thought I was going to follow in her footsteps and I think I admired her so much that I wanted it to happen for a long time, but when it came down to it I just couldn't commit. I ended a up programmer for a pharmaceutical research company for a few years, but was unhappy with the corporate world and life in general. Now I do very different work, but I'm quite happy with the more easy-going lifestyle. I get to write a lot and as long as I'm making the company money I get a lot of creative freedom. Life takes you down all sorts of paths, but I say a physics degree is a great place to start ;)

Thank you! I'm trying my best but some days are definitely more difficult than others...My psychology minor keeps me sane. I hopefully go into a doctoral program and do research and teach; that's the plan at least... Worst case scenario I take up an engineering job to just make quick money. Hopefully it doesn't come to that 3: The most important thing is to get that diploma.

Also, yes. Policy is a good marker to have but actually following and adjusting to policy is another beast...

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

My psychology minor keeps me sane.

Do you specialize in a branch? Or did you take general lessons?

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Thank you! I'm trying my best but some days are definitely more difficult than others...My psychology minor keeps me sane. I hopefully go into a doctoral program and do research and teach; that's the plan at least... Worst case scenario I take up an engineering job to just make quick money. Hopefully it doesn't come to that 3: The most important thing is to get that diploma.

Yeah work hard and have fun :) Should try to get everything out of college, both educational and social, those bonds and connections are really special and can help you a lot after you've graduated. Try to build good relationships with the professors in the courses you do best in so that they'll write extra strong recommendations for you. A big name professor giving an excellent recommendation can really keep your name at the top of the pile. And yeah, even though you're out to get a degree, taking classes in other fields is important and you can get a lot out of them that will give you a more round and fulfilling experience.

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

Lol. The US and Germany really are like black and white when it comes to education, it seems. Uni contacts here are mostly just as useless (careerwise) as highschool contacts. And professors only write recommendations for students, who apply for a scholarship. Otherwise, over here uni's just a way to continue your education. Barely a bigger deal than a vocational school. xD

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Lol. The US and Germany really are like black and white when it comes to education, it seems. Uni contacts here are mostly just as useless (careerwise) as highschool contacts. And professors only write recommendations for students, who apply for a scholarship.

Professors aren't as useful as job references, but for almost any degree program here, applications require recommendations. A 4 year bachelor program probably requires at least 2 from your high school teachers, and masters and doctoral programs probably ask for 2 or 3 and accept more than that.

Otherwise, over here uni's just a way to continue your education. Barely a bigger deal than a vocational school. xD

Obviously uni is a way to continue your education anywhere, but I guess it can have more weight depending on where you are. College experiences vary tremendously in the US. You can go about just taking classes, get your degree, get a job, and there's not much to it. But you can also get a lot more out of it if you want to. Especially if the school has more money, resources, exceptional faculty, and a good culture for undergraduate education, there are all sorts of opportunities that students can take advantage of. I had research opportunities that let me contribute to some fun projects that led to co-authoring papers at a young age and talked a lot with professors that guided me to take classes with some brilliant minds, and they made sure I had a full skill set that could translate to a lot of different industries and research. So yeah, it can go either way.

last edited at May 30, 2016 5:00PM

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

Well then, bed time for me now. Like I said, I don't know when I'll be back. So for now it's see you when I see you, I guess. Take care, people. ^_^

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Well then, bed time for me now. Like I said, I don't know when I'll be back. So for now it's see you when I see you, I guess. Take care, people. ^_^

Good night, Lin :) oooo nailing the Sulin name game

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

My psychology minor keeps me sane.

Do you specialize in a branch? Or did you take general lessons?

I would love to specialize in cognitive psychology but as minor all I can really do is cherry pick which psychology courses strike my fancy.
Also, have a lovely rest and good luck with your 50 page dissertation! o/

Yeah work hard and have fun :) Should try to get everything out of college, both educational and social, those bonds and connections are really special and can help you a lot after you've graduated. Try to build good relationships with the professors in the courses you do best in so that they'll write extra strong recommendations for you. A big name professor giving an excellent recommendation can really keep your name at the top of the pile. And yeah, even though you're out to get a degree, taking classes in other fields is important and you can get a lot out of them that will give you a more round and fulfilling experience.

I'm fortunate that I'm close to a few professors, especially the mathematics professors. They're surprisingly not pretentious and love the fact I'm very well rounded. It also helps I actually ask questions out of sheer curiosity and not to just pass an exam. I'm sure that's pretty refreshing for a lot of professors. I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with myself now that uni is out for the summer and I'm not taking summer classes this year D:

last edited at May 30, 2016 5:34PM

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I'm fortunate that I'm close to a few professors, especially the mathematics professors. They're surprisingly not pretentious and love the fact I'm very well rounded. It also helps I actually ask questions out of sheer curiosity and not to just pass an exam. I'm sure that's pretty refreshing for a lot of professors.

Yeah that's fantastic :) Professors love that. Just actually attending their office hours to ask questions, clarify homework, get advice, all goes over very well. They usually just sit their with nothing to do :P

I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with myself now that uni is out for the summer and I'm not taking summer classes this year D:

Aw lol. Get in some R&R I suppose. Or go out and about and ask a cutie on a date xD Unless you're in a relationship, in which case do not do that o.o'

Edit: Unless you're in a monogamous relationship. Just covering all my bases :P elthundergato is polyamorous afterall.

last edited at May 30, 2016 5:59PM

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with myself now that uni is out for the summer and I'm not taking summer classes this year D:

Aw lol. Get in some R&R I suppose. Or go out and about and ask a cutie on a date xD Unless you're in a relationship, in which case do not do that o.o'

Edit: Unless you're in a monogamous relationship. Just covering all my bases :P elthundergato is polyamorous afterall.

Ahahah, I've mostly been playing Dark Souls 3 and sleeping way too much. I need some more games for this PS4 or for my PC.

I'm single but my area lacks cuties. What have you been up to?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Busy day, I finally got my email confirmation for my Wikia account (there was a bug where it wasn't being sent), and I founded the Gail Simone's Twitter Wikia as a one-stop clearing house for all the bizarre weirdness the comic author throws onto Twitter. And since she has a lot of followers and she loved the idea, I've been going back and forth between fielding tweets and finding old stories and weirdness to make the articles.

The terror of King Buttermilk, the secret ingredient of blue milk, the KISS Vampire War and the story of Earl, the Little Mermaid, it's all there. Still gotta add stuff like Giant Norsebeef and his brother Skinnyjeans Magoo, BIG HAM the champion shopper, the rent-a-car lady from hell, the true boringness of Cyclops and the more inspiring story of her trip to the White House to talk about diversity in comics. Plus adding an index, since there's very little cross-linking between the stories.

And that's aside from my regular writing, which I've gotta buckle down and work on.

Acd34ecdb4f42e680ecf6b00cff43477
joined Sep 15, 2015

Oh god. It's already 9.40pm here and damn. My friend's still here. I wanna kick her out of my house already xDD
It's been a long ass 3day weekend for meee D:
D:
D:

Dppp
joined Mar 2, 2016

How are you Newp?
My degree is in physics. For the most part, my family is supportive but a lot of the males give me a hard time. It's so wonderful the way they completely invalidate my degree and apparently think fixing an AC is akin to engineering. I swear every 5 minutes they'd ask me inane questions such as "Why does this float? C'mon, it's just physics. You probably only add and subtract all day" You're wrong. I just use cute little equations like x=y, all day. >__> //end rant

I was pretty close to going to art college; people definitely give you a hard time about that! Do you have a website? I'd love to see your work.

Ohh. It's hard to find people who are interested in both science and art. Do you have an idea of what you want to do with your degree?
And ahh I've been asked about that a few times xD Unfortunately I don't have a site yet. Ill make one.. eventually > <

Alvis pssst. btw, have you tried playing Overwatch? I want to get it but I just don't have time to play it atm .. : (

last edited at May 31, 2016 12:13AM

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

How are you Newp?

I was pretty close to going to art college; people definitely give you a hard time about that! Do you have a website? I'd love to see your work.

Ohh. It's hard to find people who are interested in both science and art. Do you have an idea of what you want to do with your degree?
And ahh I've been asked about that a few times xD Unfortunately I don't have a site yet. Ill make one.. eventually > <

Alvis pssst. btw, have you tried playing Overwatch? I want to get it but I just don't have time to play it atm .. : (

You're right, it is very hard to find people interested in both subjects! As of now, the plan is to go to graduate school and hopefully get the opportunity to work toward my PhD. I'm mostly interested in teaching and research, as for which field of physics...I'm thinking solid state or even astrophysics.

Ah, no website...Do you have a DeviantArt, then?
Also, I haven't tried playing Overwatch. It doesn't seem to be my cup of tea...I'm not really into MOBAs especially FPS focused ones at that. I used to (unfortunately) play League of Legends and that probably ruined my drive to play MOBAs. I am itching to try Salt and Sanctuary, though! I just can't justify purchasing it right now ;___; What games do you enjoy/want to play?

And that's aside from my regular writing, which I've gotta buckle down and work on.

Oh, do you write for a living or as a serious hobby?

last edited at May 31, 2016 2:22AM

elthundercat
41e23cccf0ca615cf297fc03235ceb48
joined Jan 4, 2016

It was black pride this weekend so I had a few friends visiting from out of town. A lot of wine was consumed. -_- currently trying to detox with a smoothie

Morning everyone /yawn, yawn/
(→o←)

last edited at May 31, 2016 7:42AM

Acd34ecdb4f42e680ecf6b00cff43477
joined Sep 15, 2015

Good morning everyone !!

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

@Alvis

I'm single but my area lacks cuties. What have you been up to?

Sorry I missed this message, had to dash to dinner and get back before the game. No area lacks cuties :P You just have to go out and find them.

@Rainy

Oh heyy u said u cut yr hair today.. how short is it now?

My hairdresser originally was going to come in on Memorial Day and then something came up and she rescheduled her appointments, so I'm not going in until tomorrow.

@everyone

Hey! Busy week ahead of me, so not sure how much I can be around. Hope you're all well. The Warriors pulled off the series comeback last night and are going to the NBA Finals! Very happy Warriors fans in this home right now. All the basketball games have been affecting my dear kanojo's sleep schedule though so she's all sorts of grumpy today lol. That's the problem with being on the east coast as a fan of a west coast basketball team :(

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

/walks in with tea and flops down on couch/ Evening, people.

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

Hey! Busy week ahead of me, so not sure how much I can be around. Hope you're all well. The Warriors pulled off the series comeback last night and are going to the NBA Finals! Very happy Warriors fans in this home right now. All the basketball games have been affecting my dear kanojo's sleep schedule though so she's all sorts of grumpy today lol. That's the problem with being on the east coast as a fan of a west coast basketball team :(

I heard that Oklahoma gave the Warriors a bit of a scare recently! I don't religiously keep up with basketball so I couldn't really tell you much beyond that. My home team is the Grizzlies, I saw them beat the Heat and then flop on easy teams. >__>

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

Btw Alvis, I love your avatr. CANAAN is such an underrated anime. And Alphard is a total badass.

Rsz_1rsz_29112135412
joined May 21, 2016

Btw Alvis, I love your avatr. CANAAN is such an underrated anime. And Alphard is a total badass.

She is definitely one of my favorite characters. I loved the anime but wasn't a fan of the central Canaan x Maria ship.
I love your avatar as well! It's a good angle of Yoruichi~

SoftLikeSteel
Lin%20new
joined Apr 3, 2016

She is definitely one of my favorite characters. I loved the anime but wasn't a fan of the central Canaan x Maria ship.

I also didn't like the Canaan x Maria pairing. For subtext, it was just too obvious and in your face. Also, Maria, as kind and cute as she is, was just too much of a typical boke character for me. >_<

I love your avatar as well! It's a good angle of Yoruichi~

Heh. ^_^ My girlfriend once said that my job reminds her of the role Yoruichi mainly plays in Bleach. I figured she was pretty on point, so seeing how this is a manga forum, I changed my avatar to her. xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.