Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Is there a way to whitelist multiple tags with an "OR" operator? Like, I wanna whitelist Yuri, Yuri crush, and subtext, but have the site display stories with any (not necessarily all) of those tags. Is that possible? I only see a way to show stories that have every whitelisted tag, not just one of the whitelisted tags.

EDIT: This goes for searching as well.

DeMorgan's Laws would imply that this could be implemented (granted, inefficiently) by checking against the opposite of each of these terms. If a result doesn't blacklist all of these tags at once then it necessarily much whitelist at least one of these and oh god I'm using formal logic to help people find yuri manga the 4chan is coming from inside the house

You've completely lost me. ^_^

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Hahaha, I should be a bit more careful about how much vodka I drink, huh? To clarify, if I'm understanding you correct, you want results that include at least one of the tags in your post, meaning that it matches any of them.

My post was saying in an awkward, rambly way that "X OR Y" is functionally equivalent to "NOT (NOT X AND NOT Y)". Which is to say, if there were a way to blacklist manga that don't contain at least one of the tags, it would return the results of interest to you.

last edited at Mar 26, 2016 6:03AM

joined Dec 8, 2013

Hahaha, I should be a bit more careful about how much vodka I drink, huh? To clarify, if I'm understanding you correct, you want results that include at least one of the tags in your post, meaning that it matches any of them.

My post was saying in an awkward, rambly way that "X OR Y" is functionally equivalent to "NOT (NOT X AND NOT Y)". Which is to say, if there were a way to blacklist manga that don't contain at least one of the tags, it would return the results of interest to you.

That would be hilariously cumbersome... And there are no tags that always apply to stories that don't have the tags I'm after, so it'd be like chasing a runaway train. Like, I could block het, but I'd still see all the stories with no yuri tags yet have stuff like comedy or moe up the butt or 4-koma or school life. All of which can also be found in yuri stories.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

neversung posted:

That would be hilariously cumbersome... And there are no tags that always apply to stories that don't have the tags I'm after, so it'd be like chasing a runaway train. Like, I could block het, but I'd still see all the stories with no yuri tags yet have stuff like comedy or moe up the butt or 4-koma or school life. All of which can also be found in yuri stories.

It's a bit weirdly worded but the logic is actually correct. NOT (NOT X) is a double negative. The two NOTs would end up canceling each other out. So NOT (NOT yuri) would effectively be a check for a yuri tag.

joined Dec 8, 2013

neversung posted:

It's a bit weirdly worded but the logic is actually correct. NOT (NOT X) is a double negative. The two NOTs would end up canceling each other out. So NOT (NOT yuri) would effectively be a check for a yuri tag.

I still don't fully understand, but are you saying there's a way to do this at present, or does it have to be implemented first?

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

From what i gather, it would have to be implemented. Its a blacklist that double negatives itself to in short, being a search within a set of tags. ie Not( Not yuri; yuri crush) anything that doesn't have at least those two will be omitted bringing results for yuri and yuri crush. Rather than a whitelist where both need to be present to work.

From what my understanding, i could be wrong. took a bit to try an understand its meaning.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

You could also whitelist one tag, then specify in the blacklist things to narrow it down more. Yuri for the whitelist then start narrowing things down to confine the search. throw het, drama, angst or whatever and it'll start to narrow the results

joined Mar 11, 2016

koyuki posted:

going to the forum and searching for a thread you have posted in before and clicking the number of posts.

You can always bookmark that link or if you use my userscript it includes the ability to set your user id which adds a link to the script's menu to access your post history.

How can I use your userscript or access my posting history. I thought of subscribing to threads as koyuki said but I don't see any option of subscription.

joined Aug 16, 2015

Autumn To subscribe to a thread, you need to click on this while reading something that interests you. Then you go to your lists and it'll be right there.
Personally, I prefer going on the Forum and refreshing from time to time to see if a thread I posted on got a new post. Feels more convenient.

last edited at Mar 27, 2016 1:47AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Labhubhul posted:

Autumn To subscribe to a thread, you need to click on this while reading something that interests you. Then you go to your lists and it'll be right there.
Personally, I prefer going on the Forum and refreshing from time to time to see if a thread I posted on got a new post. Feels more convenient.

You misunderstood the question. They were asking about a feature for my userscript regarding a link to your own posts. (Which actually should have been posted in the thread for that but no harm done there.)

Anyways, the answer to Autumn's question is that you need to copy the link your postcount has and grab just the numbers off the end of it. For example, the link for my post history is http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=17437 so I would take the 17437 off the end of it. Then just paste that into the field next to the "submit user id" button in the menu and click said button. It'll get replaced with a link to your post history.

joined Aug 16, 2015

Yeah, don't worry, Alice, I got that. I expected that you'd answer the stuff about your script. ^^
Just wanted to explain how the subscribing koyuki mentionned worked.

joined Mar 11, 2016

Labhubhul posted:

You misunderstood the question. They were asking about a feature for my userscript regarding a link to your own posts. (Which actually should have been posted in the thread for that but no harm done there.)

Anyways, the answer to Autumn's question is that you need to copy the link your postcount has and grab just the numbers off the end of it. For example, the link for my post history is http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=17437 so I would take the 17437 off the end of it. Then just paste that into the field next to the "submit user id" button in the menu and click said button. It'll get replaced with a link to your post history.

I see. Thank you very much Labhub and Alice-kun. xD

joined Dec 8, 2013

You could also whitelist one tag, then specify in the blacklist things to narrow it down more. Yuri for the whitelist then start narrowing things down to confine the search. throw het, drama, angst or whatever and it'll start to narrow the results

This is what I currently do, and it works well enough. I was just wondering if there were secrets to the formatting of the white/blacklist functionality that I wasn't aware of.

As I mentioned though, you can't narrow it down "perfectly" to only stories with any yuri elements at all, since you miss subtext and yuri crush if you use the whitelist.

I mainly blacklist het, tragedy, and depressing as fuck (and bad end... Lookin at you "Happy End" -_-). I'd never complain about their appearance on the site, but I'm grateful for the ability to hide them.

EDIT: btw, how do you quote someone so that their name appears, and do they get notified of replies?

EDIT 2: nvm I saw Alice's Dynasty Thingifier post (great name btw. ^_^). Thanks for the hard work!

last edited at Mar 28, 2016 2:20AM

joined Aug 16, 2015

I've been thinking about this whole multiple white-listing thing for a while. Wouldn't it be possible to make some kind of searching system with sub-searches that add together their results in the end?
Something a bit like this (sorry if it doesn't make much sense) : http://i.imgur.com/wtR7W6b.png

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

I've been thinking about this whole multiple white-listing thing for a while. Wouldn't it be possible to make some kind of searching system with sub-searches that add together their results in the end?

This can already be done. When on the search page, hitting 'Advanced' allows you to select tags you want and tags you want to omit from the results. I think the biggest problem is a lack of awareness regarding the breadth of options in the search function.

joined Aug 16, 2015

Well the thing is, by doing that you only get the results for the combination of tags you added, not the results for each individual tag.
For example, if you search for both Yuri and Subtext tags at the same time, you get 0 results since the tags are incompatible. And that's the problem I was thinking about.

Hi, not sure if I can post this here but I can find no other way to communicate with you members; could I speak privately with anyone from the webpage staff?as in a private message? thank you.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Hi, not sure if I can post this here but I can find no other way to communicate with you members; could I speak privately with anyone from the webpage staff?as in a private message? thank you.

IRC is the only way to do that, since there is no PM system on the site. Go to that megaphone icon at the top of the screen, first one on the left next to 'Search'. There is almost always someone from the Staff in the channel.

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

We have AKA sections, but would it be too much to ask both an english and title so you could search for either. Also, it might be nice to have a more formalized standard because right now it seems that titles are translated sometimes and untouched other times. It makes no sense.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

We have AKA sections, but would it be too much to ask both an english and title so you could search for either. Also, it might be nice to have a more formalized standard because right now it seems that titles are translated sometimes and untouched other times. It makes no sense.

It's basically what the scanlator chooses. If they translate the title, cool, if not, then I can't really be in charge of what the english version would be.

Generally if they give both a English and a Japanese title, I'll go English. But sometimes it aint a option.

last edited at Apr 12, 2016 2:33AM

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

drpepperfan posted:

It's basically what the scanlator chooses. If they translate the title, cool, if not, then I can't really be in charge of what the english version would be.

Generally if they give both a English and a Japanese title, I'll go English. But sometimes it aint a option.

But you guys shouldn't have to be forced to discard one. I mean it would be a piece of cake currently to have

Main Title

Native

Alt. English Title

last edited at Apr 12, 2016 2:43AM

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

Are we allowed to have our usernames changed? That would be useful.

Seconding this, actually. I generally go by a different moniker nowadays so having this account reflect that would be convenient.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

On top of Subtext and Yuri Crush, I think now we need Super Friends to join the League of Borderline Tags.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Was wondering if a scissoring or tribbing tag might be useful?
Only suggesting this because whenever it seems to happen it tends to spark discussions about it.

O%20tyebye
joined Feb 15, 2016

I may not notice something here, but would it be possible to add an option to show items in lists by the alphabetical order? With the lists system being very neat, I was really surprised to not find this option, which seems like a no-brainer for me. Then again, it might be somewhere in a super obvious place and I'm simply unable to find it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.