Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

I like Sumin x Sungji because they're pretty and cute. But that's about it. Sometimes I wonder if it's Team Gaji's intention. Maybe the authors actually want something else for Sumin, not Sungji. But if they intend for Sumin x Sungji to be the end game, it's been not enough at all and they need to try harder.

What bothered me the most was the lack of common ground between Sumin and Sungji. When I first knew they were 10 years different in age, I thought to myself that this would be interesting. I imagined them to be on different sides of the river and we will be shown the progress of how they would sail on their boats or walk across the bridge to meet each other in the middle. But so far I see no solid bridge was being built, nor no good boats for them to sail on. They've both been driven by mere attraction/lust to each other. And it's like high school love. I know a lot of readers are teenagers or quite young adults, so they're fine with it. But the fact is that WDTFS is an adult comic, and Sumin is a 34 year old woman; so I expect a lot more than the beauty of first love that's being portrayed here.

Anyone who's been through a few serious relationships would know that it takes more than love to last or be happy with each other. You need common ground: shared core values in life, mutual interests, hobbies, complementary personalities, etc. But so far I was left with no impression that they have any. I tried to re-read WDTFS to make my points, but could only bring myself to read 3-4 chapters. So feel free correct me if I get the details or anything wrong. I know Sungji likes movies, while Sumin only watched news (despite the fact that she has a whole theater room). Sungji likes cute stuff while Sumin has no care for it. Sungji is young while Sumin is old haha. Sungji likes what young people like, spend their dates at the theme parks, kissing in the movies, etc. while Sumin seemed like she was dragged into doing all those things. In the end, Sumin had fun because she got to spend time with Sungji, but not because she cared for any of those things.

What sucked was the whole cotton candy memory with Seju was shown in between the moments of Sumin x Sungji.

It was Seju's first time eating cotton candy. Comparing their "first times", Sumin x Seju had so much more chemistry to me.

Sumin might be changing, but like Suzuma said Sungji has stayed the same. Maybe someone should use ask.fm and tell Team Gaji to put more attention to Sungji's character development lol

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Sungji likes what young people like, spend their dates at the theme parks, kissing in the movies, etc. while Sumin seemed like she was dragged into doing all those things. In the end, Sumin had fun because she got to spend time with Sungji, but not because she cared for any of those things.
It was Seju's first time eating cotton candy. Comparing their "first times", Sumin x Seju had so much more chemistry to me.

Maybe someone should use ask.fm and tell Team Gaji to put more attention to Sungji's character development lol

I agree with you, very good points. There are 40 more chapters ahead, so we still can't be sure how Sungji's character will evolve. But despite that, I've learned that when something starts a certain way and keeps on going like that for a period of time (in here for the halfof the whole story), there is a good chance it will keep on the same until the end too
So this is why I don't expect to see major changes for Sungji's character to be honest. Maybe we'll get introduced more to her background and familly, but I don't think it will go way deeper than that.

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

Plot Twist: Sungji is only in the story to help Sumin heal and Nam is only there to break through Seju's walls and make her see that she needs to forgive herself. In the end, Sumin will break up with Sungji, because she realizes that she never really stopped loving Seju and at around the same time that happens, Seju will have learned to stop beating herself up over things that happened 10 years ago. So Seju forgives herself and Sumin forgives Seju as well and they get back together, because a love like this was never meant to end like that in the first place.

No, go away! I don't want to hear your logics and reasons! Leave me and my bubble alone!
C'mere, bubble. (/O3O)/ * hugs bubble*

P.S.: TEAM PINK FOREVER!

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Plot Twist: Sungji is only in the story to help Sumin heal and Nam is only there to break through Seju's walls and make her see that she needs to forgive herself. In the end, Sumin will break up with Sungji, because she realizes that she never really stopped loving Seju and at around the same time that happens, Seju will have learned to stop beating herself up over things that happened 10 years ago. So Seju forgives herself and Sumin forgives Seju as well and they get back together, because a love like this was never meant to end like that in the first place.

No, go away! I don't want to hear your logics and reasons! Leave me and my bubble alone!

That will be the perfect ending for me Wishful thinking is not a crime!

last edited at Feb 20, 2016 3:11PM

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

If I ever fall in love with a younger girl with big age gap, these would be one (or all) of my reasons:
- Everything she does seems cute and fascinating to me.
- Despite her young age, she sounds more mature than I had expected. We could talk about a lot of things.
- Being with her makes me feel so young all over again.

Sumin don't seem to share any of my reasons. So I can't relate and I can't imagine how that would work in longer terms.

TEAM PINK FORVER! lol jk I'm not on anyone's team. Please just give me a good dramatic story

last edited at Feb 20, 2016 3:30PM

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

If I ever fall in love with a younger girl with big age gap, these would be one (or all) of my reasons:
- Everything she does seems cute and fascinating to me.
- Despite her young age, she sounds more mature than I had expected. We could talk about a lot of things.
- Being with her makes me feel so young all over again.

Sumin don't seem to share any of my reasons. So I can't relate and I can't imagine how that would work in longer terms.

I agree with this, and also with most of what you said in your previous post.

It might be another reason why I can't really relate to Sumin and Sungji as a pairing. They seem like they're on completely different levels and they just can't find a way to really connect beyond physical attraction (or inexplicable admiration on Sungji's part). See, the woman I am with right now (and have been with for the past one and a half years) is actually almost 12 years my senior, but we connect on so many levels, people usually almost never guess the age gap until we point it out. We have so many shared interests, ranging from small things like favorite foods, taste in music and the like to things like being on the same page when it comes to political opinions. Of course there's also things we disagree and sometimes argue over, and there's also things that we don't do together cause we both have this sort of personal little world that we don't want the other to be part of, but all in all, there's a lot of things that connect us and it's those things, that mainly create the bond between us. Until now, the bond of Sumin and Sungji has been shown to only be a thin thread, really. What do they have in common apart from their attraction towards each other? It really seems just like a childish teen crush until now. If Sumin/Sungji really is supposed to be the endgame here, then I honestly hope Gaji will add more depth, more meaning to it soon. I really don't want a Korean version of Strawberry Panic. :/

Photo
joined Feb 13, 2016

For me too. We suffer together! I sink with my delusional ship

last edited at Feb 20, 2016 4:12PM

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

I sink with my delusional ship

-insert Dido song here- XD

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Suzuma posted:

White Flag

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

For me too. We suffer together! I sink with my delusional ship

Me too haha. Actually I got quite frustrated about this and decided to take a break from the story so I can detach myself from it.

then I honestly hope Gaji will add more depth, more meaning to it soon. I really don't want a Korean version of Strawberry Panic. :/

I don't mind Sungji/Sumin that much, but not extremely like them either...
Strawberry!Panic on the other hand...Nagisa/Shizuma is honestly my top worst yuri pairing of all time. Sorry kinda OT, but tbh I've thought about SP too when reading wdtfs.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Martian posted:

but from FF, is the -A and -Rae honorifics too?

No, that's their name Seol-A or Seola, and No-rae or Noh-rae.

So if they don't use honorifics in FF, that must apply to the rest of the Korea too right? Of course they stop using it after becoming friends or close with each other at least. But not going as far as dropping it only after they marry each other. At least this is what it seems to me, but I could be wrong.
I always had a feeling they're using this to make Sungi and Sumin relationship look more sexy though.

They don't use honorifics because they are the same age, same status. If they are not, they will be using honorifics. Like how No-rae calls Sung-pyo "Sung-pyo oppa", in japanese it's equivalent to "Senpai", i think. No-rae and Sung-pyo's relationship went as far as Sungji and Sumin but she till calls Sung-pyo with "oppa". If I'm not mistaken, in Korea, it's rude to call someone older than you or more superior than you by their name alone without honorifics. Like in japanese you don't call a person by their first name unless you're close. I don't know much about Korean honorifics, but I think Halmoni did explain it here somewhere.

Suzuma
Thank you for sharing the information! The A in Seol-A is a part of her name though, it's not a honorific, same as "-Rae" in No-Rae. That explains why your brother haven't heard of such honorifics xD

I think sunbae is more equivalent to senpai. Oppa is more of an endearing term, for closer relationships.

Su%20new
joined Jul 27, 2015

MacySan

While we're already OT here, let me add a little something more to it: if you think Nagisa/Shizuma on their own are bad (which I agree with, btw), think about how horrific a crossover of Strawberry Panic, Kannazuki no Miko and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is. There was a story like that on fanfiction.net a few years ago, but it was deleted along with the author's account quite a while ago. The synopsis was something like this: Nagisa and Shizuma are actually the reincarnations of Chikane and Himeko and they get teleported into Midchilda, because when the higher ups of the TSAB find out that powerful people like this exist on earth, they think trouble might ensue and so they send the Wolkenritter to basically abduct them for their own safety. There really wasn't any talking in this scene. They broke into Shizuma's and Nagisa's apartment at night while they were going at it, and when Shizuma charged at them in all her naked glory, she got knocked out by Signum without any explanation and Nagisa just screamed and fainted from shock or something.

In Midchilda, Hayate explained their situation to them. For some reason, they had teleported that giant mecha Ame no Murakumo to Midchilda, but kinda separated it into 2 mechas so Shizuma and Nagisa could now be taught to pilot them while Nanoha and Fate were assigned to protect them from whatever danger there could be waiting for them. I don't really remember anymore how it continued in detail, but I do remember that Signum and Shizuma just hated each others guts and Shizuma got her ass handed to Signum on multiple occasions. The grande finale was basically Shizuma and Nagisa finding out about their destiny and that now it Nagisa's turn to bite the dust, since she's Himeko's reincarnation and last time, Chikane was the one that paid the price. There wasn't even any danger to the world or anything. There was literally no enemy in the story. The two just found out about their previous lives, so Nagisa just sort of decided "Well, time to die, I guess." They fought against each other in their mechas and for a change it was Shizuma, who was bawling her eyes out instead of Nagisa. When Nanoha and Fate saw what was going on, they interruped their fight and asked what's happening. Shizuma explained everything and said that she couldn't kill Nagisa because she loves her too much, so instead of finding a solution or something, Nanoha just went "Well, nothing we can do here, I guess. Might as well get it over with" and then she Starlight Breaker'd Nagisa into oblivion, which lead to Shizuma losing her shit and attacking Nanoha, which lead to Fate losing her shit and attacking Shizuma.

End of story: Shizuma dies as well after Fate uses Thunder Fall on her and then Shizuma's and Nagisa's souls meet again at the shrine on the moon, where they encounter the souls of Chikane and Himeko, who are, for whatever reason, proud of them.

It was one of the most messed up fanfics I ever read in my life. But one thing it certainly got right in every chapter: Shizuma and Nagisa are both idiots. XD

Absolutely OT, I'm aware. I just wanted to share this. Don't lynch me, please.

last edited at Feb 20, 2016 5:29PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Yeah some really crazy stories can come out of crossovers. I was reading Fanfiction.net's craziest top ten stories and most of them were crossovers. Like mixing old ladies shows/soap operas with Lion King lol.

Anyway, KnM is actually the first yuri that I've watched and I like it. Despite the rape, I really liked their relationship. Also Kyoshiro no Towa was very good too imo, but they weren't the main characters

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Oh my, how come I read this as Dildo song lol.

ieeheh

I think sunbae is more equivalent to senpai. Oppa is more of an endearing term, for closer relationships.

Ah, yes. you're right. Thank you for the correction.

joined Feb 11, 2016

Why does Sungji call Sumin team leader when they are getting down and dirty. Seriously, call your women by her name, yes she is older then you but she is going down on you. It pisses me off when she's like Team leader at the end. Really, call her Sumin-san or whatever the Korean equivalent there is but not FUCKING Team Leader. Rant over.

I agree with this 100% .
It's time to start calling team leader Sumin
Save the team leader stuff for work , you're off the clock Sungji you're shift is over

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 2:14PM

joined Feb 11, 2016

Why is it only now that I realize, that throughout the entire story of WDTFS not a single speck of depth or even noticeable character development has been added to Sungji, and that is the reason why I feel so disappointed with chapter 42...or with the Sumin/Sungji pairing in general.

I mean, seriously...What do we know about Sungji? She's pretty, she's childish, she's a lesbian, she's a virgin, has a few friends and lives with her siblings. Gaji hasn't even really scratched the surface of her character at all, which, I'm pretty sure, is the reason why until now, I just can't convince myself to really care about "Team Blonde." Until now, Sungji just doesn't seem a lot more meaningful than those other flings Sumin had. :/ I like her, I think she's cute and I sure love seeing the effect she has on Sumin. I just hope we'll get to see a lot more about her in future chapters, otherwise this just wouldn't feel right to me...Sumin's character basically being an entire book while Sungji's isn't even a whole page.

There going to go more in depth about her in the last arc so we won't learn more about her until Seju's arc is over

joined Jun 18, 2015

The thing is that if they are male and female, Sungji would probably call Sumin "Oppa", which also works as honorific term. Remember Sungji tried to call Sumin by "honey"? Well, she tried. And calling Sumin by her name is way too much.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I think Sungji is just categorically a "late-bloomer," which is by definition not the norm and therefore probably less relatable than the others who have had a wall of shit fall on them and made a lot of mistakes. Sungji's getting into her first relationship at the same age when Sumin and Seju were engaged and broke up. She even says something to the effect of "Sometimes I think I'm slower than everyone else, even though I don't feel the rush." I think this applies to not just her life but also how the author is presenting her story.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Another thing I've wondered about with no real answer yet is why Sungji thinks that Sumin looks like that fox stuffed animal. Sumin's the center of the story and the title seems to refer to her, but I've tried to make that fox look like Sumin so many times and I just don't see the resemblance lol. I presume it's one of the key examples that Sungji has some intuition about Sumin's personality and character that others don't see.

Acd34ecdb4f42e680ecf6b00cff43477
joined Sep 15, 2015

The wait for the next update is killing me. Like, i need to wait for i dunno, 2 or 5hrs more for the update. It's. Just. So. Hard.

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

I heard there's no new chapter for this week. Really?

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

No chapter this week :(
Between WDTFS and FF, one of them needs to come through next week or I'm just going to shrivel into a yuri-less pile of disappointment.

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

No new chapter this week due to health related issue. According to google translate it's something to do with team gaji's wrist muscle, i think it's injured. Hopefully it's nothing serious and they could get back to drawing again soon.

last edited at Feb 24, 2016 8:16AM

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

Korea needs a health and wellness center for their artists so things like this don't happen. National treasures, I tell you.

Cveoz_lueaab1ln
joined Feb 5, 2016

What the week. Two shots right in the heart. I can no longer recover from the damages.

To reply you must either login or sign up.