Forum › Oh Japan...

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

Doesn't it also happen in Japan that husband "marries into wife's family", and takes her surname?

It might not be common, but it's still well-known and accepted. In the rest of the world it's much more rare.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Doesn't it also happen in Japan that husband "marries into wife's family", and takes her surname?

It might not be common, but it's still well-known and accepted. In the rest of the world it's much more rare.

96% of the time the husband's surname is taken. I assume the 4% is if the wife's family has higher status or he's taking the name because he's a successor of some kind. I'm sure there's another couple reasons why.

I was more facepalming at the delay in remarriage for women only, it's going to be reduced to 100 days but that's still discrimination and the law has no basis since we can easily do DNA testing to determine the child's genetic lineage

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I have a male friend who married a japanese woman and took her family name (he lives in Japan anyway).

Coincidentically, that family name is "Miyazaki".

joined Mar 23, 2013

I have a male friend who married a japanese woman and took her family name (he lives in Japan anyway).

Interesting. I would like to point out, if people didn't know, that foreigners are exempt from the "pick 1 name" unlike japanese couples.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Same-sex "marriage" in Japan has traditionally involved one spouse being adopted into the other's family, with a similar addition to the family register that marriage uses. So technically they're non-blood siblings, but it allows them to share a name and be family of a sort. It's an awkward solution, nowhere near as good as actually getting married.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Interesting. I would like to point out, if people didn't know, that foreigners are exempt from the "pick 1 name" unlike japanese couples.

oh I found again the page he had set up for his marriage at the time: miyazaki.org

I think he completely forgot about it by now xD

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

delay in remarriage for women

Wow, that is really stupid. I didn't know that was a thing. How can that be a thing?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Wow, that is really stupid. I didn't know that was a thing. How can that be a thing?

Lineage, what else.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

delay in remarriage for women

Because the woman could push a child on the new husband which isn't his, I guess.

joined Mar 23, 2013

Because the woman could push a child on the new husband which isn't his, I guess.

I think the reverse is the "better" and most probable reason.
Current husband won't have responsibilities toward a child that may or may not have been conceived through adultery ( those darn sinful women ).

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Judge Ryoji Yomori turned down the suit, ruling in Okayama District Court on Thursday that the purpose of the provision is a “way to prevent disputes over the identity of the father” in the event a child is born within a certain period after the divorce and remarriage

Because a) people only have unprotected sex when they are married and b) buying a paternity test for like 1000$ can be easily avoided by setting back gender equality by just a few decades. Japan is so fucking stupid sometimes.

last edited at Dec 17, 2015 4:18PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

off topic.
delay in women remarriage is mandatory in islam.
a thing in my country.

To reply you must either login or sign up.