Forum › Sweet blue flowers or Sasameki Koto?

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

To be honest, I haven't read either one of them but I have skimmed the manga sweet blue flowers. The art is good. I heard a lot of people saying that they are very similar, so I just want to ask which one is a better read, Sweet blue flowers or Sasameki Koto? Seeing that both are lengthy mangas (imo) I would only like to read one of them. Also, I would like to know which has more comedic and dramatic scenes.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

The first half of Sasameki Koto is better than the whole of Sweet Blue Flowers in my opinion, but the 2nd half is much worse.

I guess I'd go for Sweet Blue Flowers as it's not only good, but consistent.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

@drpepperfan could you explain what you mean by the '2nd half is much worse?', like how is it worse? and which one were you comparing it to.

and thanks for the suggestion. :)

last edited at Aug 6, 2013 1:07AM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

@drpepperfan could you explain what you mean by the '2nd half is much worse?', like how is it worse? and which one were you comparing it to.

and thanks for the suggestion. :)

I meant the 2nd half of Sasameki Koto is way worse than both the first half of it and the whole of Sweet Blue Flowers. IMO it went downhill quality. Didn't even get to the last chapter :c

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

I meant the 2nd half of Sasameki Koto is way worse than both the first half of it and the whole of Sweet Blue Flowers. IMO it went downhill quality. Didn't even get to the last chapter :c

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know your POV :)

Though Sasameki Koto is more popular than Sweet blue flowers as I've seen from the forum.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I heard a lot of people saying that they are very similar

Woah now.

SBF is a really subtle, SOL story about a lot of stuff. It has a lot of drama, but it's not angsty or dramatic in its presentation. It's mostly about the relationship between the two MCs, but there are tons of side characters and branching side plots. Quite a few of these side plots have very little to do with yuri or the MCs, and might irritate you if you're looking for a more focused story. I liked it, but it felt a bit typical/rushed near the end.

Sasameki Koto is a sometimes hilarious, sometimes very angsty SOL story also about a lot of stuff. It also focuses mostly on its two MCs, but has quite a cast of characters by the end. The series suffers from a bit of an identity crisis (the first half is mostly comedy, the second half is rather serious drama), but I think it changes tone pretty effectively. Less sideplot madness than SBF (still a decent amount though), far more sugary, and probably a hair behind in terms of storytelling.

They're not really the same type of series at all. I'd say they're about as similar as Hanjuku Joshi and Girl Friends (See: not similar). If you go with SK, I do quite love the April Fool's chapter Dinasty did way back. Either way, you're going to be reading something long and unbalanced, but rather enjoyable, flaws considered.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

SBF is a really subtle, SOL story about a lot of stuff. It has a lot of drama, but it's not angsty or dramatic in its presentation. It's mostly about the relationship between the two MCs, but there are tons of side characters and branching side plots. Quite a few of these side plots have very little to do with yuri or the MCs, and might irritate you if you're looking for a more focused story. I liked it, but it felt a bit typical/rushed near the end.

That's a good insight.

Sasameki Koto is a sometimes hilarious, sometimes very angsty SOL story also about a lot of stuff. It also focuses mostly on its two MCs, but has quite a cast of characters by the end. The series suffers from a bit of an identity crisis (the first half is mostly comedy, the second half is rather serious drama), but I think it changes tone pretty effectively. Less sideplot madness than SBF (still a decent amount though), far more sugary, and probably a hair behind in terms of storytelling.

I see that both of them are, at some point unbalanced. Like the first half is comedy and whatnot and the other half is dramatic.

They're not really the same type of series at all. I'd say they're about as similar as Hanjuku Joshi and Girl Friends (See: not similar). If you go with SK, I do quite love the April Fool's chapter Dinasty did way back. Either way, you're going to be reading something long and unbalanced, but rather enjoyable, flaws considered.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

It's weird how often the two are compared and even I'm guilty of doing that....might stem from the fact they both had anime that aired in 2009 in close proximity. Anyways, both decent in their own ways, blah blah, read both of them like I did I dunno.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

all have their good point, and are must read,

however SK is the only one where the parents and family are part of the story, and not only background, like in girlfriends, but that was the choice of the author and i respect it,
all 3 are the more aaaaaaangst yuri i ever read, but in SK there are a lot more tears than in every other manga

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's weird how often the two are compared and even I'm guilty of doing that....might stem from the fact they both had anime that aired in 2009 in close proximity. Anyways, both decent in their own ways, blah blah, read both of them like I did I dunno.

I hated the SK anime so much. Didn't cover any of the good parts of the anime, only contained any real drama in the first episode and didn't resolve anything, not even stuff brought up in the anime itself. Animation wasn't bad, but the rest was a half-assed effort at best.

Never did watch the SBF anime, probably should sometime.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

I hated the SK anime so much. Didn't cover any of the good parts of the anime, only contained any real drama in the first episode and didn't resolve anything, not even stuff brought up in the anime itself. Animation wasn't bad, but the rest was a half-assed effort at best.

I think you mixed up the words anime and manga.

Katomixharu%20-%20cross%20heart
joined Jul 3, 2013

Wow, tough question you asked there. I liked Sasameki Koto more. Why, I don't know. I just thought it was a cute story. Ushio Kazama (one of the mains in SK)... when I first started reading this, she annoyed me a little, and I thought she was kinda stupid. By the end I loved her. To me, she somehow transformed into an adorable girl... and at times when she was sad, I wished I could give he a hug or some encouraging words to help her out. Cheesy, I know... but I got attached to that story pretty easily. I've read the entire story about 3 times now. I love the cast, I think it's great.

SBF I have only read once. I found it to be more angsty in a serious way. If that makes any sense. SK was angsty in a rather humerous way. I plan to read SBF again soon, perhaps re reading will make me like it more. But as of now, SK is better imo.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think you mixed up the words anime and manga.

Yeah, second instance should be manga, the others are fine. Clearly I shouldn't post before my first tea.

Secretnamorifan11
joined Jul 17, 2013

Wow, tough question you asked there. I liked Sasameki Koto more. Why, I don't know. I just thought it was a cute story. Ushio Kazama (one of the mains in SK)... when I first started reading this, she annoyed me a little, and I thought she was kinda stupid. By the end I loved her. To me, she somehow transformed into an adorable girl... and at times when she was sad, I wished I could give he a hug or some encouraging words to help her out. Cheesy, I know... but I got attached to that story pretty easily. I've read the entire story about 3 times now. I love the cast, I think it's great.

Wow, must be pretty good if you've read it thrice.

SBF I have only read once. I found it to be more angst in a serious way. If that makes any sense. SK was angsty in a rather humerous way. I plan to read SBF again soon, perhaps re reading will make me like it more. But as of now, SK is better imo.

They say it's more of a drama than angst but I guess it depends on whose reading it. It's really subjective.

Yeah, second instance should be manga, the others are fine. Clearly I shouldn't post before my first tea.

Yeah. Tea can alter your world.

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

Have read Whisper (=SK, which I prefer to call so) twice (Chinese and English scanlations). But for SBF I only had a quick glimpse.
To me Whisper is basically a yuri comic with lots of funny stuff, and I didn't remember that in my quick glimpse of SBF. So if you are aiming to kill some time, I'd recommend Whisper.
BTW I also like Whisper for its somewhat modern and clean art style.

To reply you must either login or sign up.