Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

On another note... Did anyone else's heart break at Sungji crying in Chapter 18? The cherry blossom selca TT-TT

SUMIN U INSENSITIVE ASSHOLE HOW DARE SHE MAKE SUNGJI CRY

Sango%20by%20annie%20icon
joined Jul 3, 2015

On another note... Did anyone else's heart break at Sungji crying in Chapter 18? The cherry blossom selca TT-TT

SUMIN U INSENSITIVE ASSHOLE HOW DARE SHE MAKE SUNGJI CRY

I NEVER THOUGHT SEEING AN IPHONE WOULD MAKE ME SAD?? BUT FOR SUNGJI, #TEAMFLIPPHONE

Untitled
joined Feb 8, 2014

I had confirm that I over 19 but it didn't work and it begin to the page I've confirmed..
I bought 18 chapters on iOS but I just want to see the english translation but it doesn't work.. What should I do? TT_TT

joined Jul 3, 2015

I had confirm that I over 19 but it didn't work and it begin to the page I've confirmed..
I bought 18 chapters on iOS but I just want to see the english translation but it doesn't work.. What should I do? TT_TT

Hi, from all the previous posts about this problem, I have emailed the website in hopes of a response and am trying to figure out a solution to this issue. Please be patient for now and I will update on this forum when I get progress. Thank you!

last edited at Jul 8, 2015 9:43PM

Untitled
joined Feb 8, 2014

Hi, from all the previous post about this problem, I have emailed the website in hopes of a response and am trying to figure out a solution to this issue. Please be patient for now and I will update on this forum when I get progress. Thank you!

thanks you :D

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Sungji is probably the only person I've ever seen sad to receive an iPhone. Indeed the flip phone was much cooler.

5afc3ac0f48a4c6087bde63c209c069b
joined Aug 22, 2014

I just bought this to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to ask, can they actually sue you for that?
Don't they live in another nation, so the copy right laws don't apply. Assuming they have their work copy righted in the first place. They would need to hire someone in your country to sue you for them, which seems like much more hassle than whatever they would gain by not suing you.

joined Jul 3, 2015

Yes, they can very much sue you. Even if they live in another country, if you are distributing their work, which has placed copyrights on them, meaning the copy right laws still apply. You're right that suing overseas would be take more work however that does not mean they won't do it or at least try to. Both sides want to avoid the hassle of a case so we stick to overlays.

The team has decided to respect the site and the author and spread the comic legally through overlays for us international readers. Without Lezhin, we wouldn't be able to experience WDTFS so as a form of gratitude and courtesy to both the author and distributor for the story, we want to at least follow the rules they have placed.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 1:17AM

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Chapter 14 Release

http://www.lezhin.com/comic/what_does_the_fox_say/14

I haven't read everything on the topic of Seju yet but I just want to be clear on what my views of her are. As I've said Seju is an interesting character, much more so than Sungji in my opinion. This is because she's harder to read.

Seju is definitely not a 'damsel in distress'. Neither is Sumin and I think both sides of the argument need to acknowledge this fact. They both know what they're doing! I mean they're 34 for god's sake. Sumin isn't anymore Seju's 'belonging' or 'possession' anymore then Seju is Sumin's 'sugar daddy'. Both of these views are problematic.

That being said, Seju is the most 'dangerous' character in this series. She's the one you should be most wary of and for various reason, she can either make or break #Team Cinnamon Roll. Btw, I feel very proud for coining that lol.

TL;DR I'm a sucker for manipulative characters, especially if they're attractive. Seju adds spice to the story, if not it would just read like FF with the whole girl meets girl, girl falls for girl sort of thing.

She's definitely scheming something as both myself and halmoni has pointed out.

Also, the whole "devoted knight waiting for her soulmate in shining armor" scenario doesn't click with me because Seju is constantly asking Sumin about potential love interests, and she's always smirking when they talk about Sungji. She WANTS Sumin to get with Sungji. Where's the "devotion" in that?

Based on the discussion, I think we can both agree that the reason she is pushing Sungji/Sumin to be together is to test their relationship. If Sumin ends up falling hard for Sungji, which seems likely at this point, and then things don't work out then that would push Seju/Sumin to be together even more than before.

No doubt Sungji is the better person compared to Seju, her motives are pure. She's not one for scheming, you can see right through every single thing she does as opposed to Seju where you can only vaguely guess.

Here are some screenshots that make Seju seem very suspicious
1) This smile in ch2 when Sungji said Sumin's perfume fits Seju

This reaction could be something totally innocent, like Seju was pleased that Sumin's perfume matches her. But I think her motive behind this could be to mark Sumin as her 'territory'. You see this later in chapter 3 when Sumin tells her to stop using her perfume.

2) This smirk in ch9 when Sumin tells Seju directly as opposed to the roundabout way in ch4 that she is attracted to Sungji

Some might say that it's a sad smirk as she thinks her relationship with Sumin is about to go down the drains but I don't think this is the case. This is definitely the smirk of someone who knows that everything is going according to plan.

3) There's also this smile as Seju asks if she's wounded Sumin's pride.

It's kinda a backhanded compliment, on the one hand giving Sumin a gift that's to Seju's own taste and on the other hand also wounding Sumin's pride. It's probably payback for Sumin telling Seju to go away in chapter 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Seju's way of saying they're still compatible after all these years after the perfume incident as well as managing to choose a gift that Sumin likes, even though it's to Seju's taste.

4) This closeup as Seju calls Sungji a naive girl in ch14

5) This smile as Seju tells Sungji she can't always be there for Sumin

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let's discuss some points that I thought were interesting/don't completely agree with from both sides of the argument.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 1:48AM

Hinageshi_icon
joined Jul 20, 2013

Damn, these are coming out fast. Awesome work translators and editors (and whoever else is making this possible)!!

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

halmoni

I personally think those sort of actions sound like something any sugar daddy would do for his plaything. I don't think they necessarily prove her "love" for Sumin. While we don't know too much about Seju's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if these were just tactics (including her devotion) that she used to control Sumin. Why find another person when you know your slave will come back to you, time and time again?

I think that's pushing it a bit too far. Whilst Seju is indeed scheming and manipulative, I think that does show that she's concerned for her. It doesn't need to be some grand gesture to show love, sometimes it's the small details. It's pushing it a bit too far in my opinion to imbue everything that Seju does with evil intent.

But isn't that a natural reaction? Everyone reacts differently to loss, and Sumin happened to react this way. It's nothing out of the ordinary. Priorities are priorities, but you can't really blame someone for wanting to shut themselves in after losing their parents. Sumin was only 24 after all. [...] Seju's impertinence and lack of understanding for Sumin were her own undoing, so I found it difficult to have any sympathy for her.

Yes everyone reacts differently to loss and I'm not saying that Sumin doesn't have the right to react the way she did. However, Seju does make some valid points. There will be challenges to overcome and sometimes you just have to pick yourself off and do what you're expected to do. The world is an unkind place you know, not everyone cares to hear your sob story. You'll constantly face setbacks and you'll have to dust yourself off, and I think that's kinda what Seju was trying to say.

If someone is in a state of depression, it's not your job to try and pull them out of depression with all of your might. It's your job (as a family member/friend/significant other) to listen to them, and to give them whatever they need, whether it's space, care, etc. So I understand that Seju had good intentions, but she really set up a recipe for disaster all on her own.

Here's where we disagree, I think sometimes if people care about you they have to be willing to say the things you don't want to hear. Does Sumin want to hear that she needs to pull herself together? Probably not. But there's no denying that Sumin needed to pull herself together. Studying abroad is a big decision, it can often be life-changing even. Not to mention it costs money and time and she just threw that all down the drain?

See, it's very hard to determine how long you should give someone to determine and at some point you have to make a decision. Do you let someone have more 'space' at the cost of them wasting their health and their life away like Sumin was doing, or do you be the bad guy and say the things they don't want to hear so they can snap themselves out. Seju evidently chose the latter but I don't think that diminishes how much she cares for Sumin.

Most people probably wouldn't bother to visit the graves of others' deceased family members lol. Rather than guilt, Seju is most likely the last person Sumin wants standing in front of her parents' graves.

Most people wouldn't bother, but Seju and Sumin aren't most people. I mean if the cheating hadn't happened, they would, by conventional standards be a married couple would they not. Their lives are very intertwined, they've known each other for so long, they've seen each other grow up, so I think it would be weirder if Seju doesn't visit Sumin's parents' graves. And yes, the 'potent symbol of guilt' I mentioned was exactly that. Seju doesn't visit Sumin's parents graves a) because she believes Sumin doesn't want her to (whether this belief is true or not we don't know)
b) because if she does visit, then she'll constantly be reminded of her indirect involvement in the accident.

It was actually Sumin who was concerned about Seju being too cold while waiting for her.

Oh yea you're right. Let's not split hairs here, but this doesn't invalidate my point or anything (it's quite a minor point anyway). Seju waited for her in the snow without an umbrella, asked if she had eaten since she knows Sumin has bad eating habits. There's also her insisting on giving Sumin a ride

Even if you don't like Seju as a character and don't endorse her relationship with Sumin, I find it hard to paint this scene in an evil light by saying it's something 'any sugar daddy would do'. From what I've seen, the evil sugar daddies or whatever, wouldn't care about the well-being of their partners, they'd only worry if their partner was so unhealthy that they were no longer attractive and/or physically incapable of fulfilling the sugar-daddies' wish.

Isn't it strange that for the past 10 years, Sumin was never able to find another long-term partner? The trauma she suffered from Seju was certainly damaging, but I think it's strange.

Yea, no doubt what Seju did to Sumin had severe consequences on her and impacted her ability to find another partner. But I think it's irresponsible to place the blame entirely on Seju. No one can pick you up. You have to do it yourself. You have to move on of your own volition and if Sumin hasn't been able to do that, that's on her, not on Seju.

Also, it's that point about comfort. 'The devil you know is better than the devil you don't'. And it's not as if Seju doesn't love or at least care about Sumin to a large extent. When you have someone like that, I think you'd want to move on less. Think about all the things that Seju can offer Sumin, sex, care, money, a job...

On top of that, she doesn't even need to treat Seju well to get those sorts of things! Imagine that! You can treat someone badly, or at least not be sweet and kind to them and they can still give you things! Why would you leave that?

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 2:19AM

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Satsuki

And lol at the person who brought up Zodiac signs. That was a good one!

Keep in mind that this story is set in Asia, where that sort of stuff is quite popular. E.g. blood types are a big thing in Japan so zodiacs may be an important feature. Also, since it's a work of fiction and the authors chose to give them those birth dates, it probably means something.

If you look at it then the characters fit the stereotypical description of their zodiacs quite well for example:
-Seju: Scorpio, known for being charming, dark, enigmatic, alluring, manipulative and often bent for revenge. Basically Seju to a T so no need to elaborate. Scorpios are fucking hot! Even if you don't believe in all this malarky.

-Sungji: Taurus known for being stubborn but honest and reliable. Think Sungji once she's set her mind on something for example skiving work to visit Sumin
-Sumin: Cancer known for being sensitive, unable to keep control of their emotions, yet quite kind and loving. This fits Sumin quite well as Sungji herself noticed, you just have to dig a tiiiiny bit deeper to see it.

I think the only reason Sumin doesn't have a lot of friends is because she's not a people person. She's kinda like a lone wolf. I think she's actually capable of having lots of connections if she wanted as from the chapter where she seduced red-haired girl, she's quite a cunning person

Yea, she's very emotionally closed off as Sungji pointed out in chapter 9. I can understand why Sumin/Seju's relationship has persisted for so long. If you're that emotionally closed off, it takes time for you to make friends/let people in to your life of course. It's tough for Sumin to find someone who knows her as well as Seju.

They've both seen each other at their worst and are still together. Even if they're not in love anymore, that's kinda a big deal. So it doesn't seem that strange that they haven't moved on. Like Sumin said in chapter 8, Seju was her first everything. And in the realm of manga/manhwa and I guess in real life as well sometimes, firsts hold a lot of weight. So what clairesun said,

I never imply it's seju who did this intentionally. It's the status of that kind of relationship which would necessarily lead to that result.

is right on the money.

It's a refuge, because sumin has no other choice (the reason described in the text above), and the refuge is somehow negative, the last straw she can hold is the one which would repeatedly remind her of her pain.

Again, you make very good points and your assessments are usually accurate. However, I have to disagree. I don't think Sumin has no choice, no choice would be someone forcing her, coercing her, a gun to her head saying 'You can't leave Seju!' but as we can all agree, that's not what's happening here. I think Sumin just decided conciously or not that what she has with Seju isn't worth throwing away until she can find someone better. Which she hasn't until maybe now with Sungji.

No, it's not fatal, it's just annoying for lovers or even friends and I don't see any respect here.

Bang, that's exactly another kind of control, if I know someone arranged this for me, I would feel really offended, even whom I love was in your plan, are u kidding me?

Yea, it's all about intent. For example match making in anime/manga where the protagonists are too shy to get together is considered desirable, even cute. However, this is not what Seju's doing in. In fact she might've even planned the whole thing out since she does own the company, and she does know Sumin's tastes so well.

But even with all that, even being the master schemer that she is, Seju cannot control people's emotions. If Sungji and Sumin fall in love, then it's entirely their own doing. Those feelings are theirs and theirs alone and Seju had no part in them. She only provided a few pushes here and there e.g. arranging for Sungji to be hired, etc...

So yea, I don't think Sumin is an

emotionally-dependent wreck

as we see on various occasions, she can be VERY pragmatic. maybe her relationship with Seju at this point boils down to nothing but cost benefit analysis. The benefits of staying with Seju clearly outweighs a loss.

It's Sumin decision to stay with Seju lawl, it's not like she's a dog on Seju's pink leash. Come on guys, she's an adult. She can find another job, heck MOVE TO ANOTHER TOWN away from Seju and her bull shit if she wants to. It's not like there's anything that was holding her back aside from the fact that she's in a very good place right now professionally and why would you leave that behind.

Wow that was really long but I thought I should just kinda balance things out again with this discussion.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I see we still haven't moved on from this topic, not that I have any complaints. It's quite pleasing to read about different POVs about Seju's character/intentions/persona.

And though I have no wish to discuss with others whether Seju cheated or not, I want to point out that I share your view on Seju's one night-stand. Yes, you are not the only one, I am with you. If it is true that Seju never slept with anyone else for the past 10 years, then this only makes me question even more on why the hell she intentionally cheated that night.

Thanks dawny. I read your whole post as well and it was very insightful and persuasive. It further amped up my want for Seju to end up with Sumin.

Keep in mind that this story is set in Asia, where that sort of stuff is quite popular. E.g. blood types are a big thing in Japan so zodiacs may be an important feature. Also, since it's a work of fiction and the authors chose to give them those birth dates, it probably means something.

If you look at it then the characters fit the stereotypical description of their zodiacs quite well for example:
-Seju: Scorpio, known for being charming, dark, enigmatic, alluring, manipulative and often bent for revenge. Basically Seju to a T so no need to elaborate. Scorpios are fucking hot! Even if you don't believe in all this malarky.

-Sungji: Taurus known for being stubborn but honest and reliable. Think Sungji once she's set her mind on something for example skiving work to visit Sumin
-Sumin: Cancer known for being sensitive, unable to keep control of their emotions, yet quite kind and loving. This fits Sumin quite well as Sungji herself noticed, you just have to dig a tiiiiny bit deeper to see it.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for bringing that up. It sheds a lot of light onto their nature as characters. And your posts were very perceptive too. I enjoy reading it.

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Chapter 15 Release

http://www.lezhin.com/comic/what_does_the_fox_say/15

Special Chapter Release

http://www.lezhin.com/comic/what_does_the_fox_say/n1

Chapter 16 Release

http://www.lezhin.com/comic/what_does_the_fox_say/16

Satsuki

I see we still haven't moved on from this topic, not that I have any complaints. It's quite pleasing to read about different POVs about Seju's character/intentions/persona.

Now that we've just 1-2 chapters away from catching up, I think this discussion will be less relevant as new details are revealed. For example what is Seju and Nammi's relationship. The way Nammi talked about her

makes me think something is up apart from just Seju being controlling if you can even call it that. Maybe they had some history.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 8:41AM

Bsj04(1)
joined Jun 1, 2014

Sumin's workplace is a place where Sumin works. Not a place where Sumin talks to Nammi. Of course, if Sumin wants, she can.

put aside our different standpoints, u still have some logic fallacy in ur argument.

A bathroom is a place where I do my bathroom business. Not a place where I eat my dinner. Of course, if I want, I can.

Sumin's workplace is not the place for Sumin to build up her relationship with Nammi. But if Sumin wants to use her working time to talk to Nammi, she can. If she doesn't want, she can invite Nammi to her house, go to a bar, or whatever. Hope this clarifies.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 8:53AM

joined Aug 20, 2011

How can i use TemperMonkey to translate though?

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Marjery
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/doonge/overtooning/master/overtooning.user.js

Click install, done. It's also on the first post of the first page...just scroll down.

joined Jul 3, 2015

Lezhin replies to the adult verification problem

I will be checking the verification process each day to see if the issue has been fixed and will update if so. Thank you for your patience guys! Also, a tip for the new registers, please verify your age immediately after your account has been created.

Edit: The issue has been fixed. The verification will now work. Please follow the steps on Page 1 of this forum.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 4:41PM

KoutarouTatsumiya
joined Dec 3, 2014

Lezhin replies to the adult verification problem

I will be checking the verification process each day to see if the issue has been fixed and will update if so. Thank you for your patience guys! Also, a tip for the new registers, please verify your age immediately after your account has been created.

Alright! I just check Lezhin, and the 19+ turned on after the international verification!

joined May 5, 2014

I bought the chapter and still in Korean. I followed those steps and it doesn't work. I used iPad. Please can anyone help me

joined Jul 3, 2015

I bought the chapter and still in Korean. I followed those steps and it doesn't work. I used iPad. Please can anyone help me

The English overlays will not work on the app.

EDIT: HOW TO VIEW THE ENGLISH OVERLAYS ON A MOBILE DEVICE (chrome browser is recommended)

This is only tested for the Bookmarking Method.
Download the Chrome app on your mobile device if you don't already have it

1. Go to the Odd Squad Scanlations website and copy the text that's in the white box. overtoon text
  2. Go to a new tab and click on the star icon that's next to the url bar.
  3. Paste the overlay function text in the "url" bar and name it "overlay". Press save once you're done. Now a bookmark will be made. pic1 pic2
  4. Go to a chapter that has already been translated and open it. It will show the Korean version of the chapter. In order for the overlay to work, you must go to the url bar and delete what's in it. Type in "Overlay" in the url bar instead. Your bookmark will appear in the scroll down section. Click on it and wait for the page to reload pic3
  5. The English overlay will now be present. It may take some time for the overlay to work so scroll slowly and wait for the English text to replace the Korean one. Make sure you are reading the HD version of the chapter or else the overlay will not work properly.

last edited at Jul 9, 2015 5:56PM

joined Jan 31, 2015

@ Meru

What you're doing is incredibly useful and awesome for the fans.

Major props to you!

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010
joined Jul 3, 2015

@ Meru

What you're doing is incredibly useful and awesome for the fans.

Major props to you!

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to help and improve the reading experience.

mikasamikasa77
Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

Sorry, but how can I insert picture in post? I feel a little stupid ...

To reply you must either login or sign up.