Forum › Algae discussion

[anon]_zoku_sayonara_zetsubou_sensei_-_06_[ef044889].mkv_snapshot_14.45_[2013.11.19_22.41.04]
joined Oct 24, 2013

"And our butts have turned the pool into a crowded bowl of ramen."

What?? I don't get it...

Weird story too, but it was nice.

New%20pic2
joined Jul 6, 2012

Algae.....not how I would have put it, but to each their own

Yuri_Is_My_Lyfe
X
joined Feb 8, 2014

Umm, ok...

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Hahahahaha what a break up line

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

So that happened

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Hahahahaha what a break up line

What break up line? She's saying that even though she'll be going to school elsewhere, the two are intimately connected and won't be parting for good. I think that's the opposite of a break up, it's an assurance.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Eh... OK?

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

hmmm that was interesting and at the same time sweet

MihoWittmann
joined Jul 2, 2014

Some wierd metaphors there.

Kyosaya_Bubbiline
joined Jun 21, 2015

I...I...I don't understand this D;

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

^hahahaha xD

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

The way I see it, the pool was left there for a long time so some algae was growing in it. Some of their filth are mixed in with it as well. I dunno, to me it's gross but I don't mind because yuri.

Solid%20ice%20heart%203-29-15
joined Mar 30, 2015

Fuji Tamaki's Algae is packed full of so much symbolism and feeling in so few pages. A magnificent read.

The pool symbolizes the girls' past together and the graduation ceremony symbolizes their separation. While the dark-haired girl's tears indicate pain, they ultimately foreshadow healing. The dark-haired girl is saddened that she and the light-haired girl are parting ways.

Water generally symbolizes change and strong emotions. The presence of algae in the (stagnant) water indicates a lack of change and indifference. In other words, the two girls have experienced a consistent platonic relationship, but have not directly allowed their emotions to interfere.

Again, the algae symbolizes a lack of emotion. When the light-haired girl says that the algae is coiled around her heart, she means that the two girls' emotional distance has been eating away at her heart. Alternatively, algae can symbolize growth; in this case, the light-haired girl's sentimental growth with respect to the dark-haired girl.

Later, "tangled flagella" are pictured as tangled legs, presumably those of our two main characters. Since flagella are active, moving parts from creatures in the Kingdom Animalia, it directly contrasts with the stagnant, (e)motionless algae from the Kingdom Plantae.

In conclusion, "our algae" does not reveal an emotionless, decaying relationship, but rather reveals an active, loving, growing, and affection-filled relationship.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

One thing I especially like about this is it's one of those rare manga that says simply going to different schools doesn't mean you have to break up with the one you love. We get so many of those stories that are like "I'm going to Tokyo so welp, that's it!" as if it's impossible. And then you have this one that's all "I'm going here to study, but my heart is firmly attached to you, it ain't goin' anywhere". Loving it.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

One thing I especially like about this is it's one of those rare manga that says simply going to different schools doesn't mean you have to break up with the one you love. We get so many of those stories that are like "I'm going to Tokyo so welp, that's it!" as if it's impossible. And then you have this one that's all "I'm going here to study, but my heart is firmly attached to you, it ain't goin' anywhere". Loving it.

This is the kind of realistic fiction I like the most.

2015-01-21%2018.42.01%20copy
joined Dec 10, 2015

neat

joined Mar 3, 2017

Very sweet story. I didn't really get the whole picture when I first read it over but after reading some of these posts it's starting to come together.

last edited at Mar 20, 2017 2:45AM

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Fuji Tamaki's Algae is packed full of so much symbolism and feeling in so few pages. A magnificent read.

The pool symbolizes the girls' past together and the graduation ceremony symbolizes their separation. While the dark-haired girl's tears indicate pain, they ultimately foreshadow healing. The dark-haired girl is saddened that she and the light-haired girl are parting ways.

Water generally symbolizes change and strong emotions. The presence of algae in the (stagnant) water indicates a lack of change and indifference. In other words, the two girls have experienced a consistent platonic relationship, but have not directly allowed their emotions to interfere.

Again, the algae symbolizes a lack of emotion. When the light-haired girl says that the algae is coiled around her heart, she means that the two girls' emotional distance has been eating away at her heart. Alternatively, algae can symbolize growth; in this case, the light-haired girl's sentimental growth with respect to the dark-haired girl.

Later, "tangled flagella" are pictured as tangled legs, presumably those of our two main characters. Since flagella are active, moving parts from creatures in the Kingdom Animalia, it directly contrasts with the stagnant, (e)motionless algae from the Kingdom Plantae.

In conclusion, "our algae" does not reveal an emotionless, decaying relationship, but rather reveals an active, loving, growing, and affection-filled relationship.

I’m a bit late but awesome analysis!!

last edited at Mar 24, 2021 3:48AM

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

ehhh, i feel like we got bits and pieces of a larger, longer story that were tossed together

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Algae? More like.
All gay

To reply you must either login or sign up.