Forum › hello

joined Sep 15, 2013

So umm, I was going through the anime thread and I started wondering if there were any shows with live actors which had strong female protagonists, I am not sure if this is the right place to be asking fir suggestions but you guys seem cool with things so yeah any shows with strong female protagonists that you guys like?

Here are some that I am watching/ have watched right now(horary for vacations right)

• penny dreadful: It has Eva green cast as Miss Vanessa Ives, she is a great actress and as such she does an excellent job at playing this role, besides her the show also boasts of several other great actors and the story is developing very well it has a total of 2 seasons and 14 episodes out yet but the show has a very good rhythm that it builds up over its course drawing you in, also really Eva green I mean damn.

• buffy the vampire slayer: Yes its old but there is a reason why it is still so loved, this show has the best character development for ALL the characters in it(even the secondary ones) there is a series wide growth in characters specific theme for each season(yes she saves the world every season but the theme is very different each season) it has some of the most heartbreaking scenes shown on television and also some of the best season finales, you can also watch angel and immerse yourself even more in this world, but do your self a favour and don't watch the remastered version watch the old one with the funky screen aspect ratio otherwise you will be wondering what some of the vampires are doing lounging around at the day time, also bonus you can see willow go through a growth that may be fantastical in nature but the growth at least remains very grounded for me.

• person of interest: The 4th season finished for this show and although from the start it had a strong female presence, the premise is very interesting and also it has my favourite person in the entire world amy acker playing as a psychotic hacker who then redeems herself and finds love in an unlikely place, I ship them so hard still my heart hurts.

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:25PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Firefly

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If you like webseries, look up Carmilla on YouTube. It's quite good with a Buffy-esque sort of feel. For something more realistic, Out With Dad is good slice of life. It's on DailyMotion, i believe.

I gather Orphan Black has a lot of good female characters, plus canon lesbians. Can't give a real recommendation because I haven't actually watched it, but people I trust say it's good.

Oh, and if you don't mind going back a ways, Dark Angel was a good series with a solid female lead.

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:29PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Orphan Black

x2

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Veronica Mars for a strong femP in the lead, never watched it though.

joined Sep 15, 2013

I have seen firefly, its very good too bad the studio executives seem to be assholes no matter the time period you look into

joined Sep 15, 2013

Veronica mars kind of got muddled in the love angle I mean I tried it wasn't for me I guess

joined Sep 15, 2013

I will try carmilla and I love watching series which have ended so thank you for the dark angle suggestion too.

joined Aug 16, 2014

I don't know if it matches what you're looking for, but the 3rd season of AHS had mother-daughter relationships and female power as themes. I also shipped Lily Rabe's character x Taissa Farmiga's

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:40PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

AHS as in American horror story?

joined Sep 15, 2013

I had actually stopped watching American horror story in its very first season I don't even know why, is the show any good?

joined Aug 16, 2014

^
It's good, but definitely not among my favorites. It kinda impressed me somehow that it managed to maintain the same quality level for at least 3 seasons (4th one's too disturbing for me; 3rd is the one I liked best), something close to no other series did. Also: Jessica Lange owned this series. Anyway, if you didn't like the 1st one, I doubt you'll like the others.

last edited at May 26, 2015 2:50PM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I don't remember much foot in Whedons X-Men run

joined Sep 15, 2013

I see, thank you for taking the time out to answer.

joined Sep 15, 2013

That was embarrassing, sorry about that.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Just work on the thread title next time, other than that

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't remember much foot in Whedons X-Men run

I was kinda underwhelmed by the first few issues so didn't stick with it.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Eh, I never like his stuff immideatly, he gets to his usual servicable writing a bit later but since comic book writers are like nomads the story just is a small scale epic, it felt more like a short story in a book than an actual big story which he is probably better at. But holy shit, that Cyclops though

joined Sep 15, 2013

Yes, I do need to work on the titles, also i am surprised more people here don't watch person of interest and ship shoot

joined Aug 16, 2014

Another oldie that may also be of interest: Fringe. Stay away from the last season, though, it's very crappy

joined Sep 15, 2013

I am in the middle of watching the first season of fringe, seems like a show that would be very hard to write, I mean they are setting up so much and I don't know how will they explain it all while keeping the law of escalation in mind. P.s the old guy has such a creepy voice

joined Aug 16, 2014

^
That's exactly my problem with the 5th season. To me, it looked like the series was cut short, so they wrapped it all up very poorly. That season's also the shortest, so make of that what you will. I still liked the series up 'till then (with the first 3 seasons being good, and the 4th slightly weaker).

I remembered another one which may also be of interest: Hit & Miss. Protag is a trans hitwoman (that was really cumbersome to say/write)

last edited at May 26, 2015 5:17PM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Live action..... errr.... Lemme see what I can pull outta my memory:

X-Files comes to mind.

Star Gate SG-1 - Not exactly a female protagonist but she does kick butt!

Babylon 5 - Some good female characters in there with an apparent lesbian romance that had to fly low under the radar, ala. Legends of Korra, but lower.

Xena - Just because C=-P

Never watched it but, The Sarah Con(n)or Chronicles might be a good show...

And that's all I've got.

OH YEAH!!! Law & Order - Seriously.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Elementary

Joan Watson is simply amazing and complements Sherlock perfectly

Ejej
joined Aug 24, 2014

Carmilla. Because Natasha Negovanlis. Leans in closer BECAUSE NATASHA NEGOVANLIS.

To reply you must either login or sign up.