Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

I finally have a reason to write here, because I'm playing hyperdimension re;birth 1 (pc) and I'm having such a great time with it! All the jokes, references and the unlimited yuri/shipping potential omg XD it has a pairing system in battles to support each others and is stronger depending on ...*pause for drama* The Lily level" I love that name hahaha , guys I have ff: LR with dlcs and I dont care right now, all I want to do is play hyperdimension and raise the lily levels of playstation (Noire) with Neptunia

Neptunia is one of the most "yuri" series around. Is all but said that Noire and Neptune have a thing going on, Uni outright says that she loves Nepgear on Re; Birth 2, IF is practically the yuri poster girl and so on.

Mind you, while the games are pretty divisive the setting, plot and characters are really good.

And then Planet Destroyer puts in an male insert office character for the lonely Otakus out there

Fucking lovely.

joined Jan 30, 2015

I finally have a reason to write here, because I'm playing hyperdimension re;birth 1 (pc) and I'm having such a great time with it! All the jokes, references and the unlimited yuri/shipping potential omg XD it has a pairing system in battles to support each others and is stronger depending on ...*pause for drama* The Lily level" I love that name hahaha , guys I have ff: LR with dlcs and I dont care right now, all I want to do is play hyperdimension and raise the lily levels of playstation (Noire) with Neptunia

Neptunia is one of the most "yuri" series around. Is all but said that Noire and Neptune have a thing going on, Uni outright says that she loves Nepgear on Re; Birth 2, IF is practically the yuri poster girl and so on.

Mind you, while the games are pretty divisive the setting, plot and characters are really good.

And then Planet Destroyer puts in an male insert office character for the lonely Otakus out there

Fucking lovely.

Well, something like Neptunia has a similar audience to things like Kantai Collection, or if you go outside of games, stuff like Love Live and K-On.

By what I mean, it has the sort of audience that is divided between two camps; those who want to see the main characters kiss, and those that want to kiss a hug pillow of the main characters. This is true for both properties that have all-female casts, and those with all-male casts (or those with effectively single-sex casts, where one group is delegated to minor characters).

I mean, this is also true for series that have more mixed casts, but it seems more stark for stuff like that; that's designed to pander towards heterosexual fanboys or fangirls*.

The characters don't have opposite sexed love interests or close friends because that would repel the yaoi/yuri crowds, they don't officially get with another character because that would repel the hardcore waifu/husbando-syndrome crowds. It's a weird subsection of manga and anime to me, or set of characteristics at least.

Some observations, anyway. I don't mean to sound judgmental, but you must admit that these things play safe while trying to court multiple nerd demographics.
__

That went off-topic. Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of the best FPSes in years, Long Live the Queen is hilarious/crushingly difficult (and probably the most on-topic game for this forum, since you do have a lesbian option), and LISA is the funniest heart-warmingest game about the brutally depressing struggles of a father since Nier.

*bonus points if it's a 4-koma. I wonder if the creator of Azumanga Daioh realized that it would herald this wave of cute-girls-doing-nothing slice of life comedies

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ There's yuri "options" in a bunch of games that have been previously mentioned...Long live the queen huh? will be checking that one out...so many games to play...so much manga/doujin...so much anime...and real life stuff I need to slow down time or something...

Game: Dragon Age 2 Pairing: Hawke(Female) x Isabela Link: Pixiv
I need to play this too...

joined Jan 30, 2015

^ There's yuri "options" in a bunch of games that have been previously mentioned...Long live the queen huh? will be checking that one out...so many games to play...so much manga/doujin...so much anime...and real life stuff I need to slow down time or something...

Game: Dragon Age 2 Pairing: Hawke(Female) x Isabela Link: Pixiv
I need to play this too...

Oh, I didn't mean that it was the most relevant game mentioned in the thread; just that it's the most yuri-ish out of the games I've been playing lately.

Long Live the Queen is a mixture of choose your own adventure and the old princess maker games, where you guide a young queen by choosing what she focuses on. Absolutely everyone wants to kill you or otherwise take power, so it's actually very difficult if you don't have a walk-through. You need to learn what combinations of mood and skills can solve the most situations.

It has a very black comedy vibe, such as the cutesy images you get when you die from poisoned chocolates or arrows or your magic literally backfiring. There are romance options, but they matter more as political options. It's not really a dating sim, despite looking like a visual novel.

_

If you have trouble deciding what things to focus on in your free time, try making a list. Think about things you want to play or read or watch or whatever. Then, narrow it down to new things you want to try, or old things you've put off before for later.

Make a small list of those things, and resolve to finish them (read through, finish or play the interesting content of a game, etc) before moving on to something else. You'll finish more stuff and experience them more deeply, instead of flitting between options of entertainment.

I mean, fun is about escaping routines and organized parts of our lives, but a little organization can help you in exploring your interests.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh don't worry about that I know what I'm doing hopefully, I plan first by week and then by day depending on my current mood, I said that because it seems that no matter how many things I watch/read/play other stuff piles up and I wish I could go through all of them faster. I also tend to go back to games I love and that adds up...

I already did some research on the game don't worry I'm sold. I've heard a lot of praise for Wolfenstein sadly I'm not really into shooters but I'll probably play it one day.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Funny, my situation is: theres tons of games yet none I am interested in nor feel like playing atm, whenever I get a new game (single/multi-player) I don't even finish it. I get games to pass em around friends, we start playing together but it only lasts like 2 or 3 days tops cuz I just get bored... Last game I completed was Deus Ex Human Revolution back in 2011.

Heh. Heard this happens to ppl sometimes, duno how long it might last. xD

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Funny, my situation is: theres tons of games yet none I am interested in nor feel like playing atm, whenever I get a new game (single/multi-player) I don't even finish it. I get games to pass em around friends, we start playing together but it only lasts like 2 or 3 days tops cuz I just get bored... Last game I completed was Deus Ex Human Revolution back in 2011.

Heh. Heard this happens to ppl sometimes, duno how long it might last. xD

It happens to me because I'm busy with work and too tired when I came out, so days and week pass by and when I try to play I forgot the basics controls or the plot so I keep failing and thinkg "Should I start from the beggining?" and thats just tiring ... So then I play games like Pangya (online anime fantasy golf) just for relax or Hatsune Miku project diva or fighting games with friend... that said, is not the case with Hyperdimension! I'm trully enjoying the game so even if is 1 hour I try to play each day... You just gotta pick the right ones I guess?

last edited at Mar 1, 2015 8:33AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's weird, the games I've been obsessing over lately don't have any yuri content whatsoever, the Avadon games by Spiderweb Software. Indeed, there's no romance whatsoever. Although my norm is whenever I roll a female character (this game, Skyrim, whatever) I always assume her backstory is as a lesbian.

Oh, thinking about it one of the studio's previous games, Avadon: Escape From the Pit had a canon lesbian couple who were sent to a prison colony for it and made a life there. Nice to see that sort of thing explicitly laid out in a game.

joined Jan 30, 2015

Oh don't worry about that I know what I'm doing hopefully...

Oh, I apologize. I have the bad habit of giving people advice online when when they're not really asking for advice. And the habit of describing things like I want to sell them.

It's weird, the games I've been obsessing over lately don't have any yuri content whatsoever, the Avadon games by Spiderweb Software. Indeed, there's no romance whatsoever. Although my norm is whenever I roll a female character (this game, Skyrim, whatever) I always assume her backstory is as a lesbian.

Oh, thinking about it one of the studio's previous games, Avadon: Escape From the Pit had a canon lesbian couple who were sent to a prison colony for it and made a life there. Nice to see that sort of thing explicitly laid out in a game.

Oh man, Spiderweb; it's nice to read someone else liking those games. I used to love their Mac games when I was a kid, and I haven't really played any of his work lately besides a bit of The Black Fortress (but I do own a lot of Vogel's work). Vogel's body of work feels very under-appreciated to me, when people discuss Western RPGs. Through, his grudging acceptance of Steam has helped get a bit more exposure.

I haven't really played many proper RPGs lately; more of the grind-for-loot Diablo formula where characters are just tools for killing shit or getting shit. I should do that; get back to LISA or Black Fortress, or try Child of Light.

(in Fallout, I always swing bi because I need all the dialogue options and bonus damage I can gets. Nothing possible can be unlooted, unshot, untalked to, or unseduced as I very eventually save the day)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Oh man, Spiderweb; it's nice to read someone else liking those games. I used to love their Mac games when I was a kid, and I haven't really played any of his work lately besides a bit of The Black Fortress (but I do own a lot of Vogel's work). Vogel's body of work feels very under-appreciated to me, when people discuss Western RPGs. Through, his grudging acceptance of Steam has helped get a bit more exposure.

I haven't really played many proper RPGs lately; more of the grind-for-loot Diablo formula where characters are just tools for killing shit or getting shit. I should do that; get back to LISA or Black Fortress, or try Child of Light.

Don't know from LISA but Child of Life is pretty as hell.

As to Black Fortress, it's quite a bit more linear than Spiderweb's usual stuff but that's not really a drawback. You still get sidequests and the writing is pretty sharp. I've started the second game, The Corruption, which has an interesting start following a character who gets conscripted rather than a volunteer like the original. It's interesting to see a different point of view.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

@notveryoften: hey don't worry advices are good.

@flips and serenata: that happens when you pick up more than one game at the time or if your mood isn't the right one for the game(s), leaving a game for a week or so makes it really hard to pick back up if you haven't completed it cough*rpgs*cough but you'll most likely pick the game(s) eventually, fun LPs/commentaries help with that.

Oh speaking of Neptunia...
Game: Hyperdimension Neptunia Pairing: Neptune x Noire Link: PixivNSFW
I've seen a few of this pairing and they look pretty good together.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Oh, that is one of the best artists for Neptunia Yuri.

And yes, they do make an amazing pairing.

For anyone interested on the pair, I can't recommend enough the next fanfic

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9654458/1/The-Proposal

Amazingly well written, everyone is perfectly characterized, one of the best romances stories that I've read and manage to get drama into the history without turning the setting into a bleak and depressing war story. Is LONG (63 chapters and is on a small hiatus) but is worth it.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Horaaay! Finally managed to beat Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Probably ranked as my second favorite in the series after VIII (Very unpopular ranking, i know)
Gotta give my thanks to the two dudes who stuck with me on twitch, always good to have company

Now where the hell is that Majora's Mask that i ordered 8 days ago

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Horaaay! Finally managed to beat Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System! Probably ranked as my second favorite in the series after VIII (Very unpopular ranking, i know)

Did you start playing Final Fantasy with or after VII, or did you start before that?

Reason I ask is that I've found that most people who really like VIII started with the later games, while people who started with VI or earlier (I started with IV) really didn't connect with it. Both groups loved IX, of course.

Another thing I noticed was that VIII was the (almost) culmination of a trend of pushing fantasy out of the Final Fantasy games. Look at the progression from VI through VIII, and you see fantasy progressively being pushed out in favour of science fiction elements more and more. This came to a head with the Spirits Within movie that was totally science fiction with no fantasy elements at all. IX, of course, reversed course, and was followed up with X which had a much more even blend, which carried on after that.

Just my weird observations on the series, sorry about that. Carry on.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So I finally beat Shagaru Magala in Monster Hunter 4 which should allow me to access solo High Rank quests now. After dying once and losing my food buffs he was pretty much one or two shotting me so killing him on my last life felt pretty good. Now I'm going to farm for that Gore Magala Charge Blade cause it looks awesome even though I need to cut of his tail for it which is a major pain. Probably going to go for the Brachydios after because explosions obviously are the best choice for elemental attacks.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Series: 7th Dragon Pairing: Healer x Knight Link: Pixiv

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Anyone knows of any games with storytelling similar to game like Dark Souls / Demon Souls, as in vague bits that you piece together to tell an incomplete story where assumptions and guessing happens? I saw the ones for these games from Vaatividya.

Recently saw Game Theory's take on the background lore of Five Nights of Freddies (and video for the second game, third coming soon)... this shit is fucked up, lol

Or even a lets play that provides insightful commentary, like when the voice actor for Silent Hill 2's protagonist joined in a 4hour full playthrough and said a lot about the story. In case anyone is interested: Part 1, Part 2

I have no particular interest on playing the games myself, just find that kind of storytelling really interesting and I am looking for similar stuff.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

When they cry - Question Arcs
Wario Land 3
Super Metroid
Gradius Gaiden
Portal
Shadow of the Colossus

last edited at Mar 4, 2015 5:16AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Did you start playing Final Fantasy with or after VII, or did you start before that?

Reason I ask is that I've found that most people who really like VIII started with the later games, while people who started with VI or earlier (I started with IV) really didn't connect with it. Both groups loved IX, of course.

Another thing I noticed was that VIII was the (almost) culmination of a trend of pushing fantasy out of the Final Fantasy games. Look at the progression from VI through VIII, and you see fantasy progressively being pushed out in favour of science fiction elements more and more. This came to a head with the Spirits Within movie that was totally science fiction with no fantasy elements at all. IX, of course, reversed course, and was followed up with X which had a much more even blend, which carried on after that.

Just my weird observations on the series, sorry about that. Carry on.

Yeah i did start with VII, i grew up with a Sega Genesis and moved on to Playstation so i never had the opportunity to play the earlier ones at the time
With that being said though i really don't like the idea of nostalgia so if i was blinded back then by my youth i'd have no problem bashing on VIII, but when it comes to RPGs i really, really like it when they offer a lot of customization, VIII is no doubt the one that offers the more of that, being able to put any status/elemental proprieties to your attacks and also the whole GF abilities thing, i still didn't touch FFV but i heard that one also has a great deal of customization regarding jobs so i'm looking forward to trying that one (For reference i think VII is okay at best, i feel kinda constrained in that game, i did like the story though but Sephiroth as a villain didn't do much for me, he felt too mystical for someone wearing that coat)

When it comes to setting i don't have a preference, be it more fantasy or modern, XII being set in Ivalice is more on the fantasy side although airships in that game are treated a little more modern-like, really liked the narration of that game and now i want to try out FF Tactics and Vagrant Story, both set on Ivalice

As for the movie, wasn't it actually supposed to be called something like Gaia but then got changed to Final Fantasy for marketing reasons?

last edited at Mar 4, 2015 5:49AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Game: Megaman 9 Pairing: Roll x Splash woman Link: pixiv

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Oh gods...EA closed maxis?...I died a little once more...ugh...I need good news...

Rune factory 3 Pairing: Chocolat x Marion Link: Booru original was deleted.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ Please do not do that anymore...buying a vita is not on my budget this month...I might get it on April.

Game: Pokemon gen 2 Pairing: Jasmine x Whitney Link: pixiv

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Also how dare y'all interrupt the Nintendo thread with your general video games chat

I seriously have no idea how to answer to this bit...so I'll just look at you with a puzzled face.

I never do this since I always decide by myself but uh... I think I'll get this bundle. After a lot of research I really do want the console but I also want to find the best deal, opinions?

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Shadow of the Colossus

Ah, Yes. Shadow of the Colossus had such a simple-yet-powerful story. The storyteling was brilliant.

Dragon's Dogma

I'll look into that one.

last edited at Mar 7, 2015 3:40AM

This topic has been locked.