Forum › Anime season

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I have not been happy with animes for a while; esp. a lack of good, mature female lead ones.

In desperation those last few days I watched some Princess Principal, but if I have to listen to one more "Princess!" I'm going on a killing spree murdering all those VAs for their ridiculous Engrish. And that's aside from all the other typical anime rubbish it comes with ^^;

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I have not been happy with animes for a while; esp. a lack of good, mature female lead ones.

In desperation those last few days I watched some Princess Principal, but if I have to listen to one more "Princess!" I'm going on a killing spree murdering all those VAs for their ridiculous Engrish. And that's aside from all the other typical anime rubbish it comes with ^^;

Maybe just rewatch 12 Kingdoms all over again?

Meh, now I want to watch something yuri~ish with a mature female lead...

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 12:23PM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro? O-oh...mature female lead...

I feel like most people who wanted to see it have seen it, but Princess Tutu is really good for a multitude of reasons. Ahiru is goofy, but overall I'd consider her mature.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I've already rewatched Moribito and 12 Kingdoms. I followed that by some Kill la Kill and Soul Eater and Nanoha (although I wasn't in the mood for that and none of them are exactly mature, but at least they aren't just comedy). And some Guardian of Sinners (but even that leads into some really weird harem).

I mean, it's fine and all, and it's not like there aren't others too, but the bulk of what I watched is kinda from 2012 and earlier, and you'd think, after half a decade or so there'd at least one or two new ones instead of always rewatching the same stuff (or watching male leads or slice-of-life girls-only sort of stuff or romance. Nothing against any of that, just not what I always want ^^; )

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

^ How about Izetta? I think it's got a pretty good female lead.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

^ How about Izetta? I think it's got a pretty good female lead.

Why not? I'll give it a try, thanks ;)

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Mio's reaction LOL
Ema and Maika want to live together, apparently acording to the ep 18 preview

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndKgOALOXQ
Look at this "touhou" trailer D: Is BEAUTIFUL!!!
I don't know if this is an ova, game, short film .... whatever is REALLY BEAUTIFUL

Well, it looks like is just this short included with a novel and some concept art to be released later.

Also MHA introduces a filler school but is a girls academy ... I wonder, if we show enough support to the character, maybe we will see her again?

I doubt it but popularity is an amazing thing

last edited at Aug 8, 2018 2:54PM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndKgOALOXQ
Look at this "touhou" trailer D: Is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Makoto Shinkai, is that you?

On another topic, Asobi Asobase ep 4. So the show finally revealed its true color. I thought the show was just about three abnormal girls start a club.

Turned out they are surrounded by an even whackier cast.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

romantic friendship is killing yuri!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Interesting, I think we're going to have drama in Yama no susume XP and this time is not Aoi the one suffering, well... is just wild guessing based on foreshadowing

Asobi asobase is so....is just so over the top, last time I saw crazy girls like this was in one called Girl's High.
Where are the doujins at?

Starlight was SO YUUUUUUUUUURIIIIIII

last edited at Aug 14, 2018 1:34PM

joined Mar 11, 2016

romantic friendship is killing yuri!

I 200% agree.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Banana-chan is no ordinary banana. lol

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I've already rewatched Moribito and 12 Kingdoms. I followed that by some Kill la Kill and Soul Eater and Nanoha (although I wasn't in the mood for that and none of them are exactly mature, but at least they aren't just comedy). And some Guardian of Sinners (but even that leads into some really weird harem).

I mean, it's fine and all, and it's not like there aren't others too, but the bulk of what I watched is kinda from 2012 and earlier, and you'd think, after half a decade or so there'd at least one or two new ones instead of always rewatching the same stuff (or watching male leads or slice-of-life girls-only sort of stuff or romance. Nothing against any of that, just not what I always want ^^; )

How about Black Lagoon, Michiko and Hatchin, Mnemosyne, Gun Slinger Girl, FLCL's various incarnations, Flip Flappers, Madoka Magica, Ghost in the Shell Movie and Stand Alone Complex, Magical Witch Punie-chan, Saga of Tanya the Evil, To be Heroine, Kino's Journey and Serial Experiment Lain?

All of these mentioned above are action packed and have bad ass female main characters in them. If you don't mind some more chill stuff with great female leads then I highly recommend Girl's Last Tour and a Place Further than the Universe which are both compelling stories despite a lack of action.

last edited at Aug 19, 2018 2:27AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I've seen all of those - or read the manga - with the exception of that heroine thing and Further than the Universe (and the new FLCL but I have no intention of sullying good memories). Well. Flip Flappers I've only watched after the comment here but it's precisely the sort of thing that I wasn't asking about - genki girl meets bookish girl ... I mean, it wasn't that bad. But also kinda meh.

Same for Izetta. I was positively surprised by a bunch of characters dying but it's still this very "anime gurrrls doing things"-like production.

What hit the spot better was Devilman Lady, actually. I mean, it's older, but I must have missed it back in the days when I watching more ;) Features an adult, bi-sexual heroine who (among other things...) clearly has something going on with a high school girl. And her ally/enemy is MtF. It's precisely does not that stupid one-dimensional character trope rubbish ("oh look, another tsundere!") but has (...by anime standards) nuanced, realistic characters that slowly develop over the story.
Alas, it's pretty crappy. Particularly the action scenes are just rubbish (and there's a lot of them). And the end is kinda "let's just completely go off the rails 'cause this is an anime!" sort of stuff. But, still. At least it tried!

I'm currently trying Red Garden but the pace of that thing is driving me up the walls. Look at how ... nothing happens. And still nothing happens. Let's go to the other girl. Oh, nothing happens. Well, what about this girl? Also nothing happening. Let's have some more nothing happening ...

Anyway, thanks for trying. It's appreciated :D

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I've seen all of those - or read the manga - with the exception of that heroine thing and Further than the Universe (and the new FLCL but I have no intention of sullying good memories). Well. Flip Flappers I've only watched after the comment here but it's precisely the sort of thing that I wasn't asking about - genki girl meets bookish girl ... I mean, it wasn't that bad. But also kinda meh.

Same for Izetta. I was positively surprised by a bunch of characters dying but it's still this very "anime gurrrls doing things"-like production.

What hit the spot better was Devilman Lady, actually. I mean, it's older, but I must have missed it back in the days when I watching more ;) Features an adult, bi-sexual heroine who (among other things...) clearly has something going on with a high school girl. And her ally/enemy is MtF. It's precisely does not that stupid one-dimensional character trope rubbish ("oh look, another tsundere!") but has (...by anime standards) nuanced, realistic characters that slowly develop over the story.
Alas, it's pretty crappy. Particularly the action scenes are just rubbish (and there's a lot of them). And the end is kinda "let's just completely go off the rails 'cause this is an anime!" sort of stuff. But, still. At least it tried!

I'm currently trying Red Garden but the pace of that thing is driving me up the walls. Look at how ... nothing happens. And still nothing happens. Let's go to the other girl. Oh, nothing happens. Well, what about this girl? Also nothing happening. Let's have some more nothing happening ...

Anyway, thanks for trying. It's appreciated :D

I'm impressed, very few have watched Magical Witch Punie-Chan. It's an odd show but watching her break people's knees and twist their arms out of their sockets never gets old. Also Potato Dono's epic suicide after peeling his own face off is strait up legendary.

It seems you've watched a lot of anime. Here are some more suggestions for stories with strong female leads.

How about Akatsuki no Yona, Happy Sugar Life, Higurashi, Shinsekai Yori, Made in Abyss, Kokkoku, Blood, Witch Hunter Robin, Perfect Blue, Angel's Egg, Princess Mononoke, Houseki no Kuni (Not sure if they count as women), Juuni Kokuki, Akame ga Kill, Inuyasha or Jigoku Shoujo?

Hmmm, now I really am starting to struggle to think up new ones. If you are cool with romance and dramas then there are a ton, but I get the feeling you aren't really looking for that.

last edited at Aug 19, 2018 5:41AM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

jashin chan dropkick got the best and worst yuri subplot this season.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I saw only one chapter of dropkick and ... well, is just different ways to end up butchered while failing to make a dropkick, is there any more to this anime?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

I saw only one chapter of dropkick and ... well, is just different ways to end up butchered while failing to make a dropkick, is there any more to this anime?

Yes, Jashin-chan got really good recently in the yuri department.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Guess it's time to watch Dropkick!

So...how is Revue Starlight? And how gay is it actually? I wasn't impressed by the 1st ep due to how much they crammed into it.

Only watching Yama no Susume and AiFriends rn. I need to back to Gintama and PreCure....
Already dropped AoT...got bored.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Revue Starlight is probably the best anime of the season (if you aren't a fan of Overlord).
Guess I'll keep watching duropukikku

Chio san is so good... ASOBI ASOBASE IS TOO GOOD

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So...how is Revue Starlight?

Very possibly the best show of the season

And how gay is it actually?

Reasonably? The one character that's definitely into other girls is the only one that's not paired up, but the subtext on some of the pairs is pretty heavy. Spent an episode on Karen and Hikari going on a date

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

@Serenata @Hylarn Thanks!
now if only the underanime servers worked properly, I would be watching more anime

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ah! you mean you dropped Attack on Titan? can't be helped, this political arc is by far the worse of the series ... And it was rushed A LOT in the anime! lol, but is pretty much about to change drastically in the next two weeks.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

Ah! you mean you dropped Attack on Titan? can't be helped, this political arc is by far the worse of the series

I actually didn't mind it at all in manga and found it interesting.

... And it was rushed A LOT in the anime! lol, but is pretty much about to change drastically in the next two weeks.

I heard author actually works pretty close with anime and himself admitted this was the arc he felt turned out the worse, because of how dragged on and boring in places it was and supposedly anime was going to fix some of its issues, like pacing. I guess that is the reason why it was rushed in anime.

To reply you must either login or sign up.