Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

oh great the links are gone XD but still thanx for the rough translation I appreciate it :)

so does this mean no more updates every monday??

As far as I know, we're still working on FF. However, I think I would personally stick with keeping our work-in-progress (raws, translations) on /u/ or some other domain. Having our work interrupted in this manner has made me a little skeptical about posting here.

dont give up, and keep the good work!

joined Nov 30, 2011

oh great the links are gone XD but still thanx for the rough translation I appreciate it :)

so does this mean no more updates every monday??

As far as I know, we're still working on FF. However, I think I would personally stick with keeping our work-in-progress (raws, translations) on /u/ or some other domain. Having our work interrupted in this manner has made me a little skeptical about posting here.

Interrupted??? O_o... Did I miss something in the discussion from the past few pages??

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

What is really special about this manhwa is that it is free for some amount of time on comico.
I don't know which publisher will waste time and money suing somebody for translating short phrases written in bubbles and posting that online.
Halmoni:
One trick would simple be to not refer to the manga when posting the translation, and to keep the latter in a text form, with your personal touch and comments inside, without ever touching the raws?

People not happy with scanlation, why don't they go rant about it on other forums, or get a law degree if they feel like getting serious about it?

last edited at Feb 11, 2015 10:15AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

One trick would simple be to not refer to the manga when posting the translation, and to keep the latter in a text form, with your personal touch and comments inside, without ever touching the raws.

If links show up here to unfinished scans, I will be deleting them.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Just a personal note of support here for halmoni and /u/, thank you for all you've done so far. I for one am very grateful for being able to read this work, and hopefully opening the door to more work from countries outside Japan.

I'm certain that I am not alone in thanking you both personally and collectively for this.

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

One trick would simple be to not refer to the manga when posting the translation, and to keep the latter in a text form, with your personal touch and comments inside, without ever touching the raws.

If links show up here to unfinished scans, I will be deleting them.

If it is also Halmoni's wish than I'm happy with that.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Just a personal note of support here for halmoni and /u/, thank you for all you've done so far. I for one am very grateful for being able to read this work, and hopefully opening the door to more work from countries outside Japan.

I'm certain that I am not alone in thanking you both personally and collectively for this.

Definitely not.

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

That's for real.
Halmoni, I need you and your skills.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Thank you for all the support, everyone. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here on out. It would be great if those who don't understand the purpose of scanlations kept their noses out of our business.

Basically what happened was that a user from dynasty reported our actions to an author we were interested in working on scanlating, as well as to their publisher's site. So one project was ended prematurely (A Pet's Aesthetic), and another was ended before we could even consider starting on it (What Does the Fox Say).

last edited at Feb 11, 2015 10:47AM

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Thank you for all the support, everyone. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here on out. It would be great if those who don't understand the purpose of scanlations kept their noses out of our business.

Basically what happened was that a user from dynasty reported our actions to an author we were interested in working on scanlating, as well as to their publisher's site. So one project was ended prematurely (A Pet's Aesthetic), and another was ended before we could even consider starting on it (What Does the Fox Say).

I have my little idea about who this could be.
Would be great if we could trash this person out of here.

I don't understand for (What Does the Fox say), did the author or the publisher directly contact you?

joined Nov 30, 2011

Wow... that sucks =/ ...

joined Oct 6, 2014

Going to an author, like, whatever, I kinda get that. It's their work. But who the hell snitches to a money grubbing corporation like a publisher? That makes no sense to me.

Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

Noooo, and misery, just what does the fox say? that was so cool ...

how sad,

however whatever You halmoni and the rest of the guys, fine by me, I'm sad that things take a turn for the worse,

Whenever well, you get the urge to let loose. Anyway thanks for what has been done, however, I will follow you wherever you decide if you decide.

No-rae
joined Feb 4, 2015

Wow that's really unfortunate :/ I just hope this doesn't reach Fluttering Feelings. Thanks for your work Halmoni, like others already said, I'm really grateful. Don't give up.

Tsk, is not like you are robbing the authors, and the work you do can make these manhwas get a international audicence. I wish this person can understand that. I mean, if it wasn't for the people who gave an opportunity to translate some mangas, most of them wouldn't have officially reached occident and other parts of the worlds.

Anyway, thanks again for everything you do, you have my full support too :)

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

I don't understand for (What Does the Fox say), did the author or the publisher directly contact you?

The author told us that she was uncomfortable with the idea that we were translating her comic (same author for WDFS). This was probably caused by a lot of reasons (misconceptions from the person who ratted us out, us not taking the initiative to talk with her, etc.), and I wanted to respect her decision. There has been no reply or contact from lezhin, but I doubt they would care about some nobody/nugu emailing them. We hadn't even decided to work on WDFS at that point, so I seriously don't understand why that person tried to report us when we didn't do anything related to WDFS.

Hopefully nothing like this happens to FF. But no matter what conflicts arise, I'd still want to translate FF. I think the best course of option would be to keep our work on the down low, while everyone else can enjoy the full releases on dynasty. I'd prefer that our work isn't interrupted by any more close-minded nobodies, regardless of whether we decide to ask authors for permission or not.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Going to an author, like, whatever, I kinda get that. It's their work. But who the hell snitches to a money grubbing corporation like a publisher? That makes no sense to me.

That's pretty harsh. Somehow I don't think the publisher in this case is like, Rupert Murdoch or something. They're just a publisher, a normal sort of business.

joined Oct 6, 2014

That's pretty harsh. Somehow I don't think the publisher in this case is like, Rupert Murdoch or something. They're just a publisher, a normal sort of business.

I really don't think it is productive to go into it on this forum, but I think the publishing industry is a sham. I am also anti-capitalist.

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Dreaming of the day where artists will stop selling their translation rights into the whole package they give to the publisher when they contract with them.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Halmoni, you're the best! Please keep your fantastic work and ignore the trolls. They don't worth the slightest bit of your attention. Personally, the comico website with your texts is more than enough, really. Thank you so much again!!!

on a side note, came up with a realistic interpretation why No-rae turned red in chapter 21 when the girls just met. I think a thought ran through her head that Seol-a dressed up as if it really was a date. And she probably recalled the moment how she invited Seol-a to this event. So I believe No-rae really became conscious of her relationship with Seol-a. And that's another reason why she tried to "shut up" Hee-jin when they met, lol

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

Halmoni, you're the best! Please keep your fantastic work and ignore the trolls. They don't worth the slightest bit of your attention.

Absolutely! And about the publishers, they would be mad to ignore the possibility of free publicity for one of their products. Possibly leading to sales outside Korea.

on a side note, came up with a realistic interpretation why No-rae turned red in chapter 21 when the girls just met. I think a thought ran through her head that Seol-a dressed up as if it really was a date. And she probably recalled the moment how she invited Seol-a to this event. So I believe No-rae really became conscious of her relationship with Seol-a. And that's another reason why she tried to "shut up" Hee-jin when they met, lol

Possible, but I think it's just a gradual process :) she's falling deeper and deeper in love. Seol-a may have already realised she's gay for No-rae, but No-rae is still in denial. On the other hand it's No-rae who takes most initiative.

joined Feb 2, 2015

if halmoni didn't answer like "ain't nobody got time fo dat" when I asked for author's permission , I wouldn't be mad much

first chapter is free or not. It's scanlated or It's just in Korean, just like author gaji said, you shouldn't post lezhin webtoons in other place

may your team didn't talk about buying for scanlating WDFS yet. other anons talked about buying for scanlating
and also I saw one anon asked like If someone will be willing to pay and post another lezhin webtoon Enough and jrdp_18 answer was "Well, I'd be willing to pay but it's pretty much kr specific. Someone could buy coupons or whatever to use though."
and jrdp_18 asked to lezhin how to buy their webtoons from overseas
so, how can I believe you guys? lol

and author's don't like meanings lost in translation and no way of knowing whether that kind of translation would stay true to what author intended
just like you translated & interpreted ssamba's intention completely differently

and Korea webtoon industry is nothing like japan
if you still think this is for authors, read this webtoon author's interview http://www.fnnews.com/news/201302171757586693
not every authors like scanlation and they don't think It can benefit authors
that's why I asked to get permission but you guys didn't

if you want to help Korea comic industry, then learn more about industry situation and get permissions

last edited at Feb 11, 2015 9:14PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Thank you ssome, for representing every single Korean manhwa author in Korea. W0W! (In case you can't tell I'm being sarcastic.)

Gaji told us nothing about posting lezhin webtoons on other websites. She stated that that's lezhin's business, not hers. Our team didn't talk about buying and scanlating WDFS? LOL. Are you fucking kidding me? That's one of the major issues we've been discussing since the day we found WDFS. We've also been trying to find a way to buy older FF chapters as well, to revamp the quality of our work. In case you didn't know, all of /u/ work together as a team, anons and everyone. Oh, and jrdp_18 is also a major contributor to our so called "team" (she's on the damn credits page at the end of FF, ffs) and she's been the one who's most concerned with finding a way for us to buy Korean webtoons, since none of us currently live in Korea. You don't know anything about how /u/ scanlations operates, so please don't assume that you do.

There are always going to be slight differences between translations and the original, considering that one of my jobs as a translator is making the content comprehensible for an English speaking audience. We do our best to stick to what the original Korean says, but sometimes it can't be helped.

Thanks for linking me to that irrelevant article. To be honest, I don't give two flying fucks about what you have to say about "saving the Korean webtoon industry". Like Kanaria told you before, you obviously have no basic knowledge of how the economy works. I'll repost her Korean message for you, in case you missed it:

썸씨가 영어 말기를 너무 못알아듣는것 같에서 한글로 응답하겠습니다.
-I've decided to respond in Korean because you didn't seem to understand English at all.
첫째, 저희가 지금까지 번역해온건 코미코의 '설레는 기분'과 레진코믹스와 관련도 없는 gaji작가님의 개인 블로그에 올려진 원샷뿐 입니다. 저희가 레진코믹스의 승인없이 웹툰의 일부 또는 전체를 복사하여 다른 매체(개인 미디어 포함)에 게재한 행위는 단 한 번도 없습니다. 이러하여 왜 썸씨가 레진코믹스한테 저희 활동 대해 고자질을 하셔야 했는지 도저히 이해가 안 갑니다.
-First, what we've released so far are comico's Fluttering Feelings and a one-shot by gaji that has nothing to do with Lezhin Comics and that has been uploaded onto the artist's personal blog. We have not engaged once in activities in which we copied and/or distributed a part or whole of webtoon(s) to other parties (including personal media) without approval from Lezhin Comics. As such, I am utterly confused as to why you had to rat us out to Lezhin Comics when we did absolutely nothing to infringe on their copyright policy.
둘째, 썸씨가 도발적인 행위를 취하시기 바로 직전, jrdp_18님께서 레진코믹스와 연락해 어떡해야 외국거주민들도 레진코믹스 상품을 구입할 수 있는지 문의하셨습니다. 레진코믹스측에선 Google Play나 Apple App Store에서 Visa또는 MasterCard로 구입은 가능하나, 다른 구매방법은 현재로 없다고 답했습니다. 자, 이런 구매 의사가 뚜렸하게 있는데도 불구하고 저희를 계속 "도둑놈들"이라고 이끌고가실껍니까?
-Second, just prior to your ratting us out, jrdp_18 contacted Lezhin Comics to ask about how foreigners can buy webtoons on their website. Lezhin Comics responded that while it is possible to purchase webtoons with Visa or MasterCard via Google Play and Apple App Store, other payments methods are currently unavailable. So, even with our clear purchase intentions, are you still going to call us "thieves"?
셋째, 썸씨 말마따나 작가님들의 수익이 독자수로 정해진다면, 오히려 저희의 "불법행위"가 작가님들의 수익을 높이는데 큰 도움이 되는거 아닌가요? 봐요, 저희가 내논 번역판들 없이는 해외 독자수는 0일것 입니다. 하지만, 번역판들이 영어권 독자들에게 배포돼 작가님들의 인지도가 높아지고 팬들이 생기는 덕분에 원본 사이트를 방문한 해외 독자수는, 거짓말 아니고 1000~2000명 증가 했을지 않을까 싶네요.
-Third, if the authors' revenues depend on readership as you pointed out earlier, then isn't our "illegal activities" rather helpful in raising their income? Look, without our scanlations, foreign readership would be 0. But with the spread of our scanlations amongst English readers, not only will artists gain recognition but also fans who'd visit the original site, thus bringing up readership by 1000~2000 readers.
넷째, gaji작가님같은 아기작가님들에겐 무엇보다도 인지도가 제일 중요합니다. 썸씨 뜻대로 해외 인지도 마저 뚝 짤라 버리면 gaji작가님한텐 뭐가 남아있습니까? 국내에 백합물에 관심있는 인구는 말도못하게 적어 죽겠는데, 수만명정도 되는 영어권 백합물 독자들을 등뒤로 할것십니까? 앞으로 당신을 취직시킬 회사의 미래가 참 두렵네요. 단기간적인 경제 전략만 생각하지 마시고 더 넓게, 더 깊게, 더 길게 보세요. 요새 한국경제의 테마가 뭡니까. 푸른 바다 전략 아닙니까. 저 푸른바다 너머 어마어마한 기회를 노리는게 우리민족의 목표가 아니겠습니까. 잘 생각해보세요.
-Fourth, for budding authors like gaji, public recognition is of utmost importance. If we cut off foreign readership as you wish, what is left for gaji? I mean, domestic readership for yuri is already so pathetically small, but you still want to turn your back towards the tens of thousands of English-speaking yuri readers? I dread for the company that will hire you in the future. Instead of thinking short-term economic strategies, think wider and deeper. Think of our nation's economic theme these days. The "Blue Ocean Strategy." Our target is the untouched, gigantic market that lies beyond the vast blue ocean before us. Think about it.

If you don't believe international attention can help authors, you're delirious. You're Korean and you don't even know how Hallyu has progressed throughout the years with the help of foreign translators?

Clearly you have nothing positive to contribute to our efforts, so I'd greatly appreciate it if you kept your nose out of our business and /u/. Thanks.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nez Note

Okay, enough is enough. Further argument about halmoni's position will be deleted without notice. This isn't a forum for being shitty to scanlation groups, as the rules clearly state.

Further, we really don't need to continue this. The last word has been said. The arguing stops here.

Please continue with loving this manhwa.

last edited at Feb 11, 2015 10:23PM

joined Nov 30, 2011

Please continue with loving this manhwa.

Never stopped Nez... never stopped. *cue fist of solidarity

AAAAAnyhoo, since we were on the subject of authors, sorta, does FF's have other works or is this their first one??

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Thank you Nez.

AAAAAnyhoo, since we were on the subject of authors, sorta, does FF's have other works or is this their first one??

I haven't come across anything else on ssamba's blog, so I'm assuming FF is all they have at the moment.

To reply you must either login or sign up.