Forum › Anime season

joined Jan 21, 2015

I'm both really excited and apprehensive for the last two episodes

As far as I know, we have three more episodes yet.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I just want all three girls to be happy after everything they've been through...

Stella no Mahou's this week's ep had some genuine subtext. One of the character's parent actually gave ok for a yuri relationship. x)

Murakami's mom is awesome. Although... I'm sorry I'm going to be that dick that compares everything to the manga, but there was one scene I was really looking forward to seeing animated because I didn't understand how we were supposed to interpret it, but they just skipped it so now I'm stuck wondering what it all meant >:(

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Stella no Mahou's this week's ep had some genuine subtext. One of the character's parent actually gave ok for a yuri relationship. x)

That mom was so cool. The whole episode left me all warm and fuzzy and my yuri goggles exploded...

joined Mar 11, 2016

@Kayo-chin
Agreed. It is the most enjoyable and yurilious episode of the show so far.

@TB
I haven't read the manga so I don't know what they are skipping. If it was a yuri scene then it is a let down. :(

joined Jan 21, 2015

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what they are skipping. If it was a yuri scene then it is a let down. :(

I don't know, that's the thing! There was a weird interaction that may or may not have meant that Fujikawa has feelings for either Teru or Tamaki, but I can't tell for sure.
Anyway, the reveal about Murakami's mom being a programmer means that she grew up watching her mom pull all-nighters and chug barrels of energy drinks, and she apparently thought "Yes. I want to be like that too." I love her.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Thank God Bite The Dust is out of the picture, fucking hated that ability

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Flip Flappers was... Damn, I should've been wiser and wait two weeks, I knew things would take an extreme twist.
I'm honestly worried, I thought the ending would be Cocona saving Papika from something because so far, Papika has been the hero and Cocona is trying to be something more.

But now I don't know what's going to happen... What I feel about the production is like "Whatever you're trying to do now... DON'T DO IT" if that makes any sense.

I'm still happy with Takyuu Musume ... So good!!!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Flip Flappers was... Damn, I should've been wiser and wait two weeks, I knew things would take an extreme twist.
I'm honestly worried, I thought the ending would be Cocona saving Papika from something because so far, Papika has been the hero and Cocona is trying to be something more.

I gotta admit, the preview at the end made me laugh.

So lemme revise my theory. Papika somehow ended up in suspended animation or something that prevented her from aging, and now she's fallen in love with Mimi and Salt's daughter? I assume the "bad guy" organization is where Salt and his dad used to work, but broke free following whatever ended up happening to Mimi.

Am I way off base here?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nezchan posted:

So lemme revise my theory. Papika somehow ended up in suspended animation or something that prevented her from aging, and now she's fallen in love with Mimi and Salt's daughter? I assume the "bad guy" organization is where Salt and his dad used to work, but broke free following whatever ended up happening to Mimi.

Am I way off base here?

I don't know about suspended animation, she lost her memory too... Maybe there was an accident, she was trapped somewhere or lost in pure illusion, in one of the many interpretations of pure illusion the concept of time might be different.

OR! maybe we're going full Stein Gate and part of her memory went back in time... OR we're going full eva 3.0 and they don't age because of reasons

The part about her dad... Maybe, but then who was the guy at the end of episode 7? he looks like Salt too!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't know about suspended animation, she lost her memory too... Maybe there was an accident, she was trapped somewhere or lost in pure illusion, in one of the many interpretations of pure illusion the concept of time might be different.

Oh, my guess about Papika being in suspended animation (or lost in Pure Illusion for a time?) was based on the fact that she hasn't physically aged, while Salt appears much older than his father did at the time.

The part about her dad... Maybe, but then who was the guy at the end of episode 7? he looks like Salt too!

Oh, I'd forgotten about dude with the laptop! I haven't a clue how he figures into it.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Am I way off base here?

Preview for the next episode shows an adult Papika and it's apparently a flashback. I heard people saying that Papika we know might be a clone. But I think we might get something different. This same preview calls the future a "fluid and indefinite concept". So I think we might get time travel plot here.

In fact, I have this crazy theory. I think it's wrong, but I'll say it anyway. Since her name isn't even Papika, but Papikana, it reminded me of episode 7, with all those Papika with different names. What if they're all actually Papikanas who exist in different timeline or something?

Actually, since Cocona looks like Mimi, maybe Papika could even be Papikana's daughter. Although some of Salt's lines wouldn't make sense.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Come to think of it, perhaps Salt's wish is to bring Mimi back, and the other staff agree with his goal.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Either way, this week's yuri trope is: Mistakenly believing you're a stand-in for your girlfriend's ex!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ANN reviews the last 2 episodes
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/flip-flappers/episodes-9-10/.109714

TLDR IGN Version Too much Evangelion 7/10

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Flip Flappers
I'm probably just dense but, does anyone know why Cocona looked shocked as hell and started crying, when Papika said that Mimi was a close friend? Why did she look so heartbroken? I feel like it was a scene about someone confessing to their lover that they've been seeing someone else

joined Mar 11, 2016

@TB
Aww, I'd have loved to see it. :( May be they will animate it in next episodes? tho we have just 2/3 episodes left. :(
I do think Fujikawa deserves more screen time. She haven't gotten much since ep 7.

@Faust
I think she was upset because she was the only one kept in the dark about all this. She was the only one who didn't know about Mimi, pure illusion or why they were collecting the fragments. After the reveal about Yayaka spying on her in the disguise of a friend, she checked with Papika if she was the same; pretending to be her friend for the sake of her own objectives (using her to go to pure illusion). Even after repeatedly asking, Papika didn't tell her about Mimi. :\ She felt betrayed by the persons she trusted and thought of as friends. From her perspective, there was no meaning in their relationship and she was just being /used/deceived/ by them all this time. More, she was angry with all of them, not just Papika/Yayaka. She did say she hated all of them.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

FlipFla: AAAND I give up trying to make sense GG.

Keijo was fantasstic once again. Aoba is like a Stand user (from JoJo) with her Gates of Bootylon.

I actually thought sharingan right away. Keijo is one of the best action anime ever lol, abilities get more insane as it goes on.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Autumn, I understand that, but I'm just confused as how she reacted to that one line
"Who's that girl?"
"A close friend."
"Gasps af"
Like I sorta get it, but it's still kinda abstract for me

Keijo was fantasstic once again. Aoba is like a Stand user (from JoJo) with her Gates of Bootylon.

I actually thought sharingan right away. Keijo is one of the best action anime ever lol, abilities get more insane as it goes on.

It's Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon haha
The moment I saw the colours, the asses sticking out, I was dead, no wayyyyy lmao, but they diiiddd

last edited at Dec 10, 2016 2:11AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Faust posted:

Flip Flappers
I'm probably just dense but, does anyone know why Cocona looked shocked as hell and started crying, when Papika said that Mimi was a close friend? Why did she look so heartbroken? I feel like it was a scene about someone confessing to their lover that they've been seeing someone else

She said friend and her partner... Being still emotionally unstable, she can't help but feel that she is just a replacement, that not even her friendship means anything, that's why she didn't let her finish the whole story (good one producers, we could've get a good ending with this but no... Let's drag the confusion for 3 chapters) and thus... chaos

Ress_artist_ava
joined Mar 16, 2013

Am I way off base here?

Mh, I'm not sure if Salt is Coconas dad. He seems like the obvious choice to me too, but it looks like Mimi has some sort of greater control over Pure Illusion so there is also a chance that Papika/Papikana is Coconas dad^^ The leader of the cult could also be an option, because the cult build the grandma-bot. And the cult also looks more like some sort of follow up organisation to the one Salt and his dad worked at.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Mh, I'm not sure if Salt is Coconas dad. He seems like the obvious choice to me too, but it looks like Mimi has some sort of greater control over Pure Illusion so there is also a chance that Papika/Papikana is Coconas dad^^ The leader of the cult could also be an option, because the cult build the grandma-bot. And the cult also looks more like some sort of follow up organisation to the one Salt and his dad worked at.

Salt gave me the impression of
being Cocona's father, (but only because we see Mimi with a baby, and we haven't seen any other potential male love interest so far) but we never see him giving a shit about her, nor anyone really. It makes me wonder who he really cares about (Mimi probably, at least?), or if he's just emotionally numb cus wtv shit happened, so he doesn't make the appropriate reactions we'd associate to "caring"

joined Mar 11, 2016

@Faust - I don't know how to interpret that one scene either. Serenata may be on the right track here.

Edit: Nah. I think he may be salty towards Cocona because of Mimi, i.e to him she may be the cause of Mimi dying/disappearing. He clearly showed signs of attraction towards Mimi in the flashback.

why are we using spoilers btw?

last edited at Dec 10, 2016 12:12PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

Well, we're all pretty much repeating the same things, that Cocona is hurt and insecure because she feels as if she's being replaced, that Papika revelation somehow confirms her suspicions. I'm sure we all understood that part.
I'm just puzzled because I don't understand Cocona's specific reaction to that specific line, it feels like an overreaction to me, that finding out that Mimi was a close friend doesn't justify such a reaction. That's really all I've been puzzled by. We all know how Cocona feels, and why she feels it, but it just flies over my head, how that one specific line (and reaction), was enough to shock her/make her gasp and tear up, cue dramatic camera shot to her feet and tears falling
Cocona's reaction was like "I KNEW IT"
And mine was "wait what, but that doesn't mean anything/isn't related to what you were worried about"

edit: because its a new ep?
and by caring I meant towards Cocona

last edited at Dec 10, 2016 12:22PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Autumn posted:

@Faust - I don't know how to interpret that one scene either. Serenata may be on the right track here.

When it comes to yuri I am http://i.imgur.com/NwJZwr9.jpg

U guys, don't forget the guy in the laptop (episode 7 ending) he could be the father too, but I believe he is also Salt... Somehow we have two versions of Salt, one trapped(?) in Pure Illusion and one on earth, both trying to locate Mimi.
If they're messing with timelines, everything is possible

joined Mar 11, 2016

Hahaha, Serena you were almost there. Never wong xDDDDDDDD

Faust, don't think too much and just enjoy the show. It is ok if we don't get it. =D

I am thinking of watching kiddy-grade. Does it have any yuri/subtext? wanted to confirm to avoid any disappointment.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Flip Flappers

Just think about it. Cocona always looked pretty lonely. She had ONE close friend in Yayaka.

She was already feeling weird everytime Papika called herself Mimi. Why? Papika was her second close friend, and there was the possibility that she has romantic feelings for her. Why someone she cared about was calling her by another name? (to be fair, I think it makes a lot more sense if we consider romantic feelings too, but even as a friend it would feel weird).

Then came the Yayaka reveal. Her only close friend only approached her with ulterior motives. Sure, Yayaka might have become friend with her with time, but how will she believe that now? She's already lonely, and probably doesn't trust people that much.

So the next time she saw Papika, she wants answers already about all the "Mimi" thing. It's the first thing she asks, after Yayaka reveal. After all, there's two things she knows: All those travel to PI have something to do with Mimi (remember that the amourphos were called Mimi's fragments by Papika) and that Papika saw Cocona as Mimi sometimes. So it makes sense that her reaction is that she was just a replacement for Mimi. And maybe being used to bring her back, then Papika would abandon her. Maybe Papika loves her, but Mimi is the one she loves THE MOST. It might looks silly, but to a introverted person like Cocona, that's a big deal.

The final blow was her grandma, the ONE person she thought she could trust being a traitor already. The one person she had through all her life. So yeah, the entire point of this episode was to break Cocona.

To reply you must either login or sign up.