Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

DAMN IT GEARBOX!...YOU PROMISED BORDERLANDS

I completed Fate Extella ended up buying it 'cuz someone hyped the sh*t out of it and...it's fine...I guess? kinda weak for a Warriors clone to be honest. The story was dumb but I admit there were some onion ninjas and the gameplay needs some improvement FUCKING RE-SPAWNING PLANTS. I still enjoyed it, I wouldn't have finished it otherwise unlike Extra. Good visuals but the lack of enemy variety makes it hard for me to give it a perfect score there.

Anyway, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed this game much if it wasn't for the female MC/yuri option but I guess I can recommend it. And I would buy a sequel. Poor Dark Eli

Moar Cheety x Lyna! here

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I already said I can't recommend it since it's definitely not a standalone game, so I'm repeating it again this time long after its release. It makes references to both Extra, Extra CCC, and Extella/Zero. Heck, a lot of character motivations couldn't be fully understood unless you know what happened in the past games, especially in regards to the events in CCC because certain characters remember what happened there, even though Hakunon herself doesn't.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I mean, the beginning of the opening even references Extra CCC, so really now. Also the Shinji-kun doll being used as a decoy was a great decision(another reference to CCC). Haaah, good times.

Oh yes, gameplay wise I have no idea what the issue with the plants is. If I have to single out the biggest nitpick, it's how brain-dead easy this game was, but that's the case with musou games in general anyways; I use it to relax and shut down for a while. There's also the absolute lack of variety from environment to enemies.

last edited at Mar 15, 2017 5:33AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I read the story so far in the artbook. I just didn't like the plot itself very much.
The problem I have with the plants is that they spawn too often artificially expanding each stage's length and it's annoying when you want to EX rank missions.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I read the story so far in the artbook.

Cute.

The problem I have with the plants is that they spawn too often artificially expanding each stage's length and it's annoying when you want to EX rank missions.

Shame I didn't experience this. In regards to EX rank, the only issue I have is that I have to make myself less efficient every time to meet the standards of the number of enemies beat. Whenever I go for the fastest route, it ends up with too little enemies defeated.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

I read the story so far in the artbook.

Cute.

Lol. I don't know why you think I didn't get it, I'm not lost I just didn't like it much. I'll check out CCC and ExtellaZero later but I'm 90% sure it'll not change my opinion.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Whoa, wait a minute there. Who said anything about changing your opinion? I purposely didn't mention the latter part of your comment because I acknowledge you didn't like it. I just thought it was cute that you think that was enough to get the full context of what happened. That's all. And everything before that was a general warning not directed solely at you that this game isn't standalone.

Edit: In fact, the only thing I really disagreed on with your opinion was your recommendation. I say that the game is not worth it, which is why I said all those things in the first place.

last edited at Mar 15, 2017 6:27AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

K.

I say that the game is not worth it, which is why I said all those things in the first place.

Odd. I didn't pay full price for it but I think it's worth checking out even if it's only for all the canon yuri in if you pick FeMC.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Which game are you guys talking about?

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I don't know what other people's standard of yuri is, but their current interactions in Extella are built from their relationship in Extra. They're already at their near-peak if not peak state of familiarity with each other; the entire process of getting to know each other and developing the relationship has long passed by the time of the game's events.

I guess people would be fine with whatever's in front of them, but a lot of context that explains either person in the relationship's actions/reactions will just go by unnoticed, which would then result with some, if not most, of it to seem completely random. It doesn't even have to be about the yuri. I mean, Gawain won't shut up about Leo until the very end (I kid; even his fixation on Leo makes sense within past context).

Edit: tl;dr: Most (pretty much all really except Altera) of the yuri in this game is flirting with each other because Caster and Saber are already close to Hakunon by the start of the game. There is barely any development on the yuri front because there is no need for development for the two of them.

last edited at Mar 15, 2017 6:58AM

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Oh, and the gameplay part of the game is serviceable at best, let's not kid ourselves. I still don't think it's worth it.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

True, I haven't finished Extra but I already spoiled the whole game so I didn't need to. On the other hand, is it really that bad? I mean some stories begin with already developed relationships sometimes w/o back stories (i.e. one-shots).

Going to bed now, bye.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

See, the comparison to one-shots is not apt at all because of the one thing I've been saying since the beginning: Extella isn't standalone. One-shots are self-contained stories. Even if the couple is already established they don't rely on past interactions for the complete understanding of the current ones.

Am I saying their interactions in Extella are completely incomprehensible without context? No, of course not. But like I already said above, some of their responses/reactions might seem random and maybe even confusing without it. It would just result with the random player assuming it's just a weird animu character quirk and move on. Again, this doesn't even involve the non-romantic relationships that still rely on past context. So no; still. not. worth. it.

A better comparison is jumping into the second book of a series and following the couples there when their relationship got fully cemented at the end of the first book. It's still not entirely accurate because it's not that bad, but it's a closer fit.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Still, it's surprisingly refreshing talking about Extella again after all this time. Even if I got the anthology fairly recently, the game itself feels like it's already in the far past. Good times, good times.

Anyways, Andromeda is looming on the horizon.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Wow totally ignored. Thanks guys.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Fate/Extella

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

^Ah thank you, good sir

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

http://www.pcgamer.com/we-have-mixed-feelings-about-the-first-few-hours-of-mass-effect-andromeda/

On a related note, creepy character models with lifeless eyes definitely return in Andromeda. Add to that that the lighting in this game casts shadows over their faces that make them look even scarier. Good to know they're making good use of that new tech.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Sorry, I guess I missed your comment.

Looking back on what I said, I think all of my problems with the story part is attributed to the fact that it's the third (and most likely last) entry in the Fate/EX universe. I loved the story, but I come from a drastically different point of view from most people with my familiarity with the series in general and from playing both prequels (and regrettably the mobage) ad nauseam.

I really don't think Fate/Extella's story was made for any newcomers in mind, not in the least. Understandably so, considering that with the fanbase of this series this game was bound to do well even if it does just cater to a specific demographic.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Sorry, I guess I missed your comment.

Looking back on what I said, I think all of my problems with the story part is attributed to the fact that it's the third (and most likely last) entry in the Fate/EX universe. I loved the story, but I come from a drastically different point of view from most people with my familiarity with the series in general and from playing both prequels (and regrettably the mobage) ad nauseam.

I really don't think Fate/Extella's story was made for any newcomers in mind, not in the least. Understandably so, considering that with the fanbase of this series this game was bound to do well even if it does just cater to a specific demographic.

I see. I guess I remained why away from Fate series becuz of its anime baiting yuri fans with kisses to cover up the het and incest beneath ot. Sure game can be different, i guess........are they?

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I see. I guess I remained why away from Fate series becuz of its anime baiting yuri fans with kisses to cover up the het and incest beneath ot. Sure game can be different, i guess........are they?

Yes, the games are different. Fate Extra CCC even has a marriage ending with one of the female servants. What you just described is pretty much exclusive to Kaleid I think. Though that just means the other Fate series aren't yuri at all.

Do note that every fate series is written by a different person, so you can't really use one work to judge the others:

1.) Fate/Stay Night (Eroge VN), Fate/Hollow Ataraxia (Eroge VN), Fate/Extra (PSP rpg), Fate/Extra CCC (PSP rpg, not localized), Fate/Extella (PS4/PS Vita Musou game) - written by Kinoko Nasu (I don't recommend the first two though, yikes)

2.) Fate/Apocrypha (Light Novel) - by Yūichirō Higashide

3.) Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Blue and Silver (Light Novel)

4.) Fate/Strange Fake (Light Novel) - by Ryohgo Narita (wrote Baccano and Durarara)

5.) Fate/Kaleid

6.) Fate/Zero (Light Novel) - by Gen Urobuchi (Same person who wrote Madoka Magica)

last edited at Mar 15, 2017 10:54PM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Yes, the games are different. Fate Extra CCC even has a marriage ending with one of the female servants. What you just described is pretty much exclusive to Kaleid I think. Though that just means the other Fate series aren't yuri at all.

Do note that every fate series is written by a different person, so you can't really use one work to judge the others:

1.) Fate/Stay Night (Eroge VN), Fate/Hollow Ataraxia (Eroge VN), Fate/Extra (PSP rpg), Fate/Extra CCC (PSP rpg, not localized), Fate/Extella (PS4/PS Vita Musou game) - written by Kinoko Nasu (I don't recommend the first two though, yikes)

2.) Fate/Apocrypha (Light Novel) - by Yūichirō Higashide

3.) Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Blue and Silver (Light Novel)

4.) Fate/Strange Fake (Light Novel) - by Ryohgo Narita (wrote Baccano and Durarara)

5.) Fate/Kaleid

6.) Fate/Zero (Light Novel) - by Gen Urobuchi (Same person who wrote Madoka Magica)

I didn't know that. I was always under impression that Fate was written by one person only. I liked Unlimited Blade Works. Liked it a lot.

But continous use of same character over and over killed my interest for the series.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I liked Unlimited Blade Works. Liked it a lot.

I'm afraid I can't say the same. I stayed far away from the anime because its source material, the eroge visual novel, was one of the most awful experiences I had in any form of media. No hyperbole, that really was the case. Plus UBW was only one of the routes on a game that had an enforced playing order from Fate > UBW > Heaven's Feel. Doesn't feel complete without the preceding routes.

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

I liked Unlimited Blade Works. Liked it a lot.

I'm afraid I can't say the same. I stayed far away from the anime because its source material, the eroge visual novel, was one of the most awful experiences I had in any form of media. No hyperbole, that really was the case. Plus UBW was only one of the routes on a game that had an enforced playing order from Fate > UBW > Heaven's Feel. Doesn't feel complete without the preceding routes.

It was the first way through i was introduced into Fate series. So i guess it left a mark on me.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

FLYING BATTERY AAAAAAAAA
I was kinda hoping Lava Reef Aaaaaaaa would be the one representing Sonic & Knuckles, but i'm perfectly fine with that!

This topic has been locked.