Forum › Koe no Katachi discussion

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

His mom paid for Nishimiya's hearing aids that got stolen in school. He's paying her back for that.

And "I'll pay you back later" refers to his being a pain in the ass child he was, he actually intended to pay that back by suicide. (I don't know where the hell I got the idea)

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

His mom paid for Nishimiya's hearing aids that got stolen in school. He's paying her back for that.

And "I'll pay you back later" refers to his being a pain in the ass child he was, he actually intended to pay that back by suicide. (I don't know where the hell I got the idea)

I understand what you meant. He did say in his thoughts that he was going to commit suicide, so on and so forth. Like, he kind of thought that he wouldn't see his mom this happy if he committed suicide earlier on.

I cried at that part.

last edited at Oct 11, 2013 10:10PM

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

The first 4 chapters made me want to cry due to Nishimiya's horrible situation. However, things are looking better and I want to cry again. It was so heart warming...

Kuro_bear
joined Apr 1, 2013

Wow, wasn't expecting the guy to return the bike back. Nice ending to that chapter :o

joined Apr 10, 2013

Well, it seems that this chapter (8) is a good end for Ishida-kun.

I like the fatty guy though~
And I really hate that person who answered the door and kept telling "She's not here". I just want to strangle him to death but I guess because of that, Ishida got his bike back and a new friend.

I understand the actions of the mother but I am starting to get ticked off by her.

Hinageshi_icon
joined Jul 20, 2013

Wow, looks like Ishida's really shaping up as a person.

Zaolu-newlandscapes-500x500
joined Jul 23, 2013

Ugh man I love this manga. So many feels.

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

I understand the actions of the mother but I am starting to get ticked off by her.

I'm pretty sure the mother have been through a lot horrible things that made her that way.

I mean, look at her child! she's deaf! Handicapped! She must be mentally retard too! I wonder what kind of slut she was to have that kind of abomination as a 'child'. How poor! Look, she thinks she's people! - Society.

last edited at Oct 12, 2013 6:33PM

joined Apr 10, 2013

I'm pretty sure the mother have been through a lot horrible things that made her that way.

I mean, look at her child! she's deaf! Handicapped! She must be mentally retard too! I wonder what kind of slut she was to have that kind of abomination as a 'child'. How poor! Look, she thinks she's people! - Society.

... Your words are kinda harsh but I won't say that you shouldn't say that. I agree with it after all.
The mom is overprotective. Well, I know the feeling of being overprotective. It's somehow like the relationship of Mikasa and Eren in earlier chapters but just a bit hardcore.

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

Lotsa feels to process on this one. Thanks for adding it.

Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

... Your words are kinda harsh but I won't say that you shouldn't say that. I agree with it after all.
The mom is overprotective. Well, I know the feeling of being overprotective. It's somehow like the relationship of Mikasa and Eren in earlier chapters but just a bit hardcore.

Well, I can say all that because I'm safe here behind the keyboard. IRL I won't have the gut to. So, I'm just like those very people I criticize. Yay Hypocrite!

I (personally) think that using Mikasa and Eren as comparison doesn't do the justice, Theirs is more like very unhealthy relationship (if I see them as lover, but if you put Ermin[?] into the mix their friendship is just too perfect).
That, or because I ship Mikasa X Sasha...

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Poor ishida can't get a break! Chapter 10 was a really powerful chapter with what happened with his mom ;-;
Am I the only one that wants ishida and nishimiya to get together?. I know he used to be a dick but he's getting better now. Not sure if that would happen because I don't see any romance between them, maybe it might change in future chapters, but who knows.

last edited at Nov 5, 2013 4:19PM

joined Jul 17, 2013

loool poor ishida ;;

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

Am I the only one that wants ishida and nishimiya to get together?. I know he used to be a dick but he's getting better now. Not sure if that would happen because I don't see any romance between them, maybe it might change in future chapters, but who knows.

I also want Ishida and Nishimiya to get together. They have history together and have been through a lot. Though I like the pace of the relationship. It isn't too fast nor too slow. It is realistic :D

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

I also want Ishida and Nishimiya to get together. They have history together and have been through a lot. Though I like the pace of the relationship. It isn't too fast nor too slow. It is realistic :D

They have a history together... of him being the biggest dick in the entire class and making her life horrible the entire time they spent together as kids. He only actually develops a sense of empathy when he is forced to understand what her life was like. He's a horrible person who deserved everything he ever experienced.

Had Nishimiya not immediately forgiven him for every horrible thing he did to her and he had to actually work to have a relationship with her it might work better and be more realistic. As it stands, she apparently forgives everyone for everything they do except Yuzuru, because fuck the only person in the world who tried helping her I guess, which leaves the mother and the sister as the only characters I can actually support.

joined Jul 17, 2013

So Yuzuru is a girl! sqdfqs she loves her sister so much and that makes me so happy!

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

They have a history together... of him being the biggest dick in the entire class and making her life horrible the entire time they spent together as kids. He only actually develops a sense of empathy when he is forced to understand what her life was like. He's a horrible person who deserved everything he ever experienced.

Had Nishimiya not immediately forgiven him for every horrible thing he did to her and he had to actually work to have a relationship with her it might work better and be more realistic. As it stands, she apparently forgives everyone for everything they do except Yuzuru, because fuck the only person in the world who tried helping her I guess, which leaves the mother and the sister as the only characters I can actually support.

To say that he should never be able to be forgiven for what he's done is a pretty awful thing to say. He understands how awful he was and realises how terrible it was, what more should he have to do? He's sincerely trying his absolute hardest to fix things, and he planned on killing himself after he apologised. His life has been awful for years since, and the minute things look good for him again, her sister ruins it for him. Do you honestly think he should never be allowed to be forgiven, and should suffer for the rest of his life?

Yuzuru may be trying to support her, but in the worst and most terrible way possible. Her terrible behind the back sneakery, lying and interfering with her life is not how she could help. She's overly protective (with good reason however) and doesn't actually care about what her sister wants, she only cares about what she thinks her sister SHOULD want.

And as shown by the flashback in this chapter, she got very angry when Yuzuru was bullied too as a kid. She gets angry when people attack the people she cares about, not herself.

The fact you support her horrific mother is mildly worrying. Unless you mean his mother. I hope so.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I totally agree with drpepperfan. I guess what people need to learn is that kids are little brats that don't understand what empathy is. This was shown when ishida was bullying her and didn't understand what his teacher was talking about, but now he finally does understand what his horrible actions have done. Bottom line is, he made a mistake but he's trying to make it better. That's what a good person would do. That's awful to say he deserved everything that happened to him, and what is still currently happening now that Yuzuru blackmailed him and got him suspended. Yuzuru is not handling this situation perfectly at all. I know she is just looking out for her sister but she is blatantly lying to her face and preventing nishimiya from making friends. Since she only thinks that EVERYONE is out to get her sister. It's hard to read Nishimiya, but she's not stupid enough to be tricked like that, we just know she is overall a forgiving person.

As far as right now, I don't support her mother and sister, they are always trying to push her to do what they want, and treat her like she can't handle herself.

last edited at Nov 14, 2013 7:39PM

joined Nov 14, 2013

Heck part of the reason Shouko forgave Shouya so quickly when they met again was because he took it upon himself to learn sign language specifically so he could communicate a proper apology to her for his past behavior just once before he killed himself - something which even her own mother hasn't bothered to do despite living with and needing to communicate with her everyday.

And really how is Shouko's sister any different from the Shouya and others of the past at this point - She's specifically bullying Shouya (and to a far lesser extent Shouko) in order to separate the two. She may have a good reason to do so, but that doesn't really justify the means.

This doesn't excuse Shouya's past behaviour in any way, but seriously the guy has learned his lesson and has actively taken steps to improve himself, something which Shouko, if no one else, understands.

joined Nov 14, 2013

How does becoming a bully to fight off bullies justify anything. To me, that's what seems to have made Shouko angry; for her lil sister to stoop down to their level. Forgiving isn't more for the other person (Ishida) but more for yourself. Of course, she doesn't owe anybody anything. But what will pent up anger & hate give you in the end? Nothing but violence and more hatred. I dont think Shouko is weak, she's strong. Yea she should definetely stand up for herself more, & i think she's doing that more and more (rmr from when she finally fought off Ishida, defied her mother to keep looking for her journal, and stuff?).

And tbh it doesn't even matter if she forgives Ishida or not. What matters is, if he's going to become a good person to the best of his abilities & thats' important. Dont ever let past mistakes hold you back from becoming something better.

last edited at Nov 14, 2013 8:04PM

That koi bath toy....I want it.

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

To say that he should never be able to be forgiven for what he's done is a pretty awful thing to say. He understands how awful he was and realises how terrible it was, what more should he have to do? He's sincerely trying his absolute hardest to fix things, and he planned on killing himself after he apologised. His life has been awful for years since, and the minute things look good for him again, her sister ruins it for him. Do you honestly think he should never be allowed to be forgiven, and should suffer for the rest of his life?

Yuzuru may be trying to support her, but in the worst and most terrible way possible. Her terrible behind the back sneakery, lying and interfering with her life is not how she could help. She's overly protective (with good reason however) and doesn't actually care about what her sister wants, she only cares about what she thinks her sister SHOULD want.

And as shown by the flashback in this chapter, she got very angry when Yuzuru was bullied too as a kid. She gets angry when people attack the people she cares about, not herself.

The fact you support her horrific mother is mildly worrying. Unless you mean his mother. I hope so.

I don't recall saying he should never be forgiven. I said that Shouko shouldn't immediately forgive him and him actually having to work to get her forgiveness would have been better and more realistic, but nowhere does "never" come up. Not to mention that that entire thing was in response to people wanting them to be in a relationship, with "history" together being a reason, apparently forgetting that that history involved him abusing her daily. And he's sincerely trying his absolute hardest... doing what? Learning sign language is the only effort he's put in to work towards fixing things with her; everything else was paying his mom back the money she had to spend on hearing aids.

As for Yuzuru, she's supporting her in something less hyperbolic than the "worst and most terrible way possible." She lies to keep someone she hates away from her sister, she manipulates information to punish him because her sister certainly won't do anything punitive, and she's interfering with this one person. She has some of the best reasons to be overprotective and to absolutely hate Ishida, and that makes her more interesting and relatable than her sister who holds zero animosity towards any of the people who deserve it or Shouya, who really deserves it.

In the flashback, we're shown Shouko standing in front of Yuzuru, "like a statue" with "another smile on her face." The entire point is that the moment Shouko pushes her against the wall is the first time she (or us) see her angry. It also happens to be the first time someone's act of malice was actually justified.

And finally, her "horrific" mother. What exactly has she done to earn such an adjective? She wanted her daughter to have a specific hairstyle to make her look less submissive to ward off bullies and threw away an old notebook from the time she spent with a bunch of terrible people. She's certainly not nice about it, but she hasn't done anything that objectionable and has dealt with her daughter being abused and bullied for years by this point.

last edited at Nov 14, 2013 10:56PM

joined Nov 14, 2013

Well Shouko's mother has refused to learn how to communicate with her for one, as shown in various examples - the fact that she resorts to shouting at her to return to the car, the fact that she tells Yuzuru to tell Shouko something instead of telling Shouko herself. She's protective sure, but she's regarding Shouko as an invalid who she cannot even communicate with. In short, from what we've seen her mother treats her as more of a burden than a daughter, something which 6th grade Shouko obviously internalized - as evidenced by the constant "I'm sorry" statements in her communication book and just smiling and taking the abuse that was happening to her.

Heck it was 6th grade Shouya, for all his crude, stupid hatefulness, who first said to Shouko what Yuzuru is saying in this latest chapter "You've never told anyone how you really feel inside!"

As for Shouya... well he has put forth an effort to communicate with Shouko, something her mother refuses to do, and something Yuzuru can do, but lately hasn't except to try and drive a wedge between Shouko and Shouya. He's also learning to communicate with others, like his new friend.

In fact communication being necessary is the whole theme of the piece - Shouko wishes to communicate with others, but in most cases cannot because of her condition, which leads to her suffering. Shouya on the other hand can communicate with others easily if he chooses, but until he meets Shouko again he shuts himself from the world and is miserable because of it. It's the fact that he took the time to learn communicate with her on her own terms (in fact going far beyond what was needed for an apology - he is quite fluent after all), and the fact that he is remorseful of his past actions, and is putting forth an effort to understand her now, that prompted Shouko to give him a second chance.

Mulan1
joined May 18, 2013

I don't recall saying he should never be forgiven. I said that Shouko shouldn't immediately forgive him and him actually having to work to get her forgiveness would have been better and more realistic, but nowhere does "never" come up. Not to mention that that entire thing was in response to people wanting them to be in a relationship, with "history" together being a reason, apparently forgetting that that history involved him abusing her daily. And he's sincerely trying his absolute hardest... doing what? Learning sign language is the only effort he's put in to work towards fixing things with her; everything else was paying his mom back the money she had to spend on hearing aids.

He did work hard to get her forgiveness. Have you ever learned sign language? Do you know how hard it is. The above person also pointed out that he considered killing himself after apologizing. It is a stupid move but it shows how sincere he is. He tried reaching out for her and actually made the effort to do so.
Nishimiya has always been like that, a forgiving person. You can see from chapter 11. If you question about the forgiven personality, there are many people like that around the world. They forgive and forget. Both of them are slowly becoming friends. The relationship part hasn't started yet but as a fan, I can always dream and wish for that.

About the younger sister, I had no complain about her actions. It was understandable. If someone did those horrible things to my family, I would go all out to keep them away. It wouldn't matter if they had changed or not.

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

He did work hard to get her forgiveness. Have you ever learned sign language? Do you know how hard it is. The above person also pointed out that he considered killing himself after apologizing. It is a stupid move but it shows how sincere he is. He tried reaching out for her and actually made the effort to do so.
Nishimiya has always been like that, a forgiving person. You can see from chapter 11. If you question about the forgiven personality, there are many people like that around the world. They forgive and forget. Both of them are slowly becoming friends. The relationship part hasn't started yet but as a fan, I can always dream and wish for that.

I guess I just don't think learning a new language and sincerely apologizing somehow absolves you of every horrible thing you did and that Shouko's utter lack of reaction and malice to a horrible human being just irks me. Someone so passive that they never hold a grudge against their abusers, who forgives them for everything they do, comes across as the kind of person who winds up stuck in an abusive relationship; it's not a commendable trait, it's a personal failing. That's probably one of the reasons why her mother and sister are so aggressively overprotective, because she obviously won't fend for herself and that's incredibly dangerous.

Well Shouko's mother has refused to learn how to communicate with her for one, as shown in various examples - the fact that she resorts to shouting at her to return to the car, the fact that she tells Yuzuru to tell Shouko something instead of telling Shouko herself. She's protective sure, but she's regarding Shouko as an invalid who she cannot even communicate with. In short, from what we've seen her mother treats her as more of a burden than a daughter, something which 6th grade Shouko obviously internalized - as evidenced by the constant "I'm sorry" statements in her communication book and just smiling and taking the abuse that was happening to her.

"Refused to learn how to communicate" is assuming that Shouko's mother has the time to learn how to communicate. I mean sure, she probably could put in the effort to learn sign language, but she seems to be a single mother raising two girls who are sent to a special school in a somewhat well-off lifestyle, which sounds like it'd keep her rather busy at work. Not to mention that Shouko is able to hear people when using her hearing aids, which likely allows hearing and writing to compensate for communication.

It also explains why she might yell at her daughter; she's either having problems with her hearing aids or is being disobedient, and why she would have Yuzuru talk to her sister after getting out of the bath, when her hearing aids were probably taken out.

As for treating her like an invalid, she is an invalid. Everything we see of the few sparse moments is her trying to make Shouko's bad situation better. She tries to make her at least look assertive by getting a masculine haircut because being incredibly passive (and looking it) has obviously caused problems. She enrolls her in a special school to get her away from the abuse. From several scenes and flashbacks we see that she is fine with her children walking around on their own, which isn't exactly something an overbearing parent does.

To say that she is the one who caused Shouko's mental state is bit lacking in anything even resembling proof; she's overprotective of her constantly abused daughter and has yet to mistreat her. Beyond not learning a brand new language, something that's incredibly difficult for an adult to do, she's yet to do anything damning. That's not to say that she's perfect (which is actually more reason to like her) or that she's not the cause of Shouko's personality, because all parents do influence their children, but things like temperament and some aspects of development can't just be thrown at the parent's feet.

It's the fact that he took the time to learn communicate with her on her own terms (in fact going far beyond what was needed for an apology - he is quite fluent after all), and the fact that he is remorseful of his past actions, and is putting forth an effort to understand her now, that prompted Shouko to give him a second chance.

The thing is, he probably could have walked up to her, punched her in the face, stolen everything she owned, and beat her sister and she probably would have just sat there, took it, and smiled with some attempt at taking the blows meant for Yuzuru. She's already done it during her own abuse and the abuse of her sister, and has only ever gotten angry when her sister dared to not forgive someone who might not deserve it, so there's no reason to assume she'd react differently. That's why it all comes across as hollow to me, because he didn't have to do anything to earn forgiveness, he just inherently got it because she's just so damn submissive and nice.

last edited at Nov 16, 2013 2:57PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.