Forum › Training Camp YoshiMaru discussion

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

This pairing is still 10/10.

I still need a working link for ChikaRiko Pocky Day tho Cantaloupe.

Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

Oh, whoops, sorry. Resubmitted.

Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

Anyway, the author for this is a Korean learning Japanese, and they've been translating their stuff into Japanese. I don't envy them the task of translating to a second language, but it's really cool that they're doing it!

Yujacha Uploader
Rinpana_smol
Yujacha
joined Nov 15, 2016

Hi there! First of all, I want to say thanks for translating these comics and bringing so much YohaMaru love to the community! :D

I've actually translated this already from the Korean version to English with permission from the original artist - here it is! As a fellow translator, I saw a few areas where you could improve on this comic:

1. For some of the lines, I think they could've been reworded so that they fit the characters' voices better. For example, Maru's line "Look, we got you down. You good?" conveys how Maru speaks with an accent, but doesn't quite mesh with her polite style of speaking.
  2. On page 3, the "Th-Thump!" sfx might cause confusion, since "thump" can also be interpreted as something like "doki". In my version of the TL, I went with "BAAANG", but something like "bam!" would probably work as well. Just make sure you choose your sfx wisely to make their meaning clear to the audience.
  3. You did a great job in using different fonts and styles in the typesetting, but I think you could've gone a step further. Wild Words is a good font, but it's kind of a basic one. For something that's hand-drawn (such as yeonDoo's comics), it's fine to choose something non-standard that fits the feel of the comic more. There are plenty of cute, readable handwriting-style fonts out there that I think you could've used here. I'm also biased towards typesetting sfx as closely to the original font as possible. For example, take a look at how I did the typeset for the "squeeze" sfx on page 2. I tried to emulate how yeonDoo originally wrote it (in the Korean version), and even stretched out the word to convey that "squeezing/holding on very tightly" feeling that yeonDoo was trying to convey for that portion. The fonts you choose and how you typeset a comic can have a big impact on the charm and look of a comic, so it's something to keep in mind for the future.

I wasn't sure if you were working on more of yeonDoo's comics, so for reference, here are the works that I've translated and released with yeonDoo's permission:
- YohaMaru texting comic, one of the comics that yeonDoo released in both Korean and Japanese (my personal nickname for it is "when the bae texts you first", haha).
- YohaMaru airplane comic, which was released only in Korean in two parts.

I really appreciate the work that you've done, and I think it's cool that you've translated this from the JP version of the comic! I think it'd be nice if we kept in touch - maybe we could work together in the future? Feel free to contact me at my Tumblr (which you can find in the links I posted above)!

last edited at Nov 15, 2016 6:36AM

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

^you did a great job friend! i appreciated it (y)

last edited at Nov 15, 2016 9:51AM

Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

Nice, friend! Much better to work from the original language, no doubt. I'd also done the texting one, but I'll happily leave this artist's stuff to you. My MO is to find cute things that aren't to my knowledge TL'd and fix that, and there are many cute things left that won't result in unecessarily duplicating work!

Thanks for the advice. Some I disagree with, perhaps due to the language we're working from being different, but some is well taken. As to fonts, I... just don't care that much about fonts. /shrug

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Well anyways thanks to everyone for bringing more Yoshimaru to the site. These 2 are definitely working their way up to my top 3 OTP list.

last edited at Jan 18, 2018 5:15PM

14915368_1172336386135605_5691270681747934628_n
joined Nov 6, 2016

A shark bite me
Sure, Yosharko did it

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

HICKEYS :3

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Oh, whoops, sorry. Resubmitted.

thank you m8 the translators are the real mvp in this community you guys are great

Img_20220301_225115
joined Aug 15, 2021

Good job Yosh... Yohane-chan, that was smooth

To reply you must either login or sign up.