Forum › Posts by RadiosAreObsolete

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

hmm maybe on a leash but its ongoing so i'd recommend it only based on what i hv read (ch 55 iirc)

Wasn't this one sort of dropped? Or did it come back without my realising it?

last edited at Oct 3, 2022 12:30PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Anime season 03 Oct 12:10
joined Mar 6, 2021

Having finished Lycoris Recoil, I decided to throw my own thoughts on it here too.
It was definitely within my expectations when it came to plot (meaning it didn't offer much), but I never got the impression it was trying to sell itself as anything more than it was in that department, so I didn't really mind that—especially since it was actually quite enjoyable to watch. What actually exceeded my expectations (and will likely make me come back to this one at some point) was how much I came to like Chisato. The overly cheerful and energetic protagonist seems to be somewhat of a standard in female-led shows, and while I don't have any particular problem with them, it can feel like I'm seeing the same character again and again. But somehow Chisato was very charming and stood out from the rest to me; she was fun and cute, without being overbearing, and the va did an excellent job bringing this character to life.

On the matter of yuri bait, I can't really decide if I would name it as such. To be honest, I find idol (of which I admittedly haven't watched many) and cgdct anime often feel a lot closer to that than LycoReco did to me. Though perhaps I should note that I'm not generally bothered much by what others may call "bait" (hell, I even like Hibike Euphonium! For reasons other than the Kumiko-Reina ship yes, but I know many people were, understandably, very angered by that one). Besides, right before watching Lycoris Recoil I came across two shows with diffferent levels of implied romantic feelings between het pairings, so it's definitely not something exclusive to lgbtq+ content. I can't say if it's more common though, since a majority of the shows I watch have a female main cast.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I don't mind grim and gore too much, but does it lean heavily into the horror...? I could barely even get through Otherside Picnic sometimes...

I wouldn't say so (though, admittedly, I absolutely love the horror aspects of Otherside Picnic). I think it leans more towards suspense and gore than it does to horror. I actually had trouble reading some of the more graphic parts... And not even because it grossed me out, I just literally didn't understand what I was reading lol. The author just loved throwing in descriptions of specific muscles/body parts that I'm not entirely sure I'd recognise the names of, even if English was my first language. At some point I just gave up and imagined whatever I wanted XD

Anyway, it's an interesting series, not really what I'd usually read (as a genre), but I quite liked it even so. This actually reminded me that I haven't yet got around to reading the 3rd book, I should definitely do so soon.

(Also, good call on —I'm assuming— covering up that part on the previous post.)

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

It's unbelievable how trusting Satsuki is for Komachi xD

Or everyone, really... Remember how quick she was to trust Seo? She's too kind for her own good

joined Mar 6, 2021

Y'all know that Mitsuki could be doing terrible at the basketball match and was most likely forced to play and Jerkface's "she's so athletic" comment was just to startle Aya who was spacing out while looking at her, right???

I don't think so... A non-athletic person can't just jump in and stop a stray ball from hitting someone.

I wasn't really saying this because of story tropes, but because of my experience in school. From my own classmates, the more reserved ones, almost always didn't participate much in sports. And for Mitsuki in particular it seems a bit weird to me, since—as far as we know at least—she seems more interested in music, so I can't really imagine her to have been involved with sports outside of school either. Besides, the manga itself has no problem relying tropes and personality "types", so even from that perspective, I find the sporty thing to be a bit of a weird choice on the author's part.

Guess what activity pairs well with music

You mean lying in bed?
I'm kidding, that's a fair point. Though I still find it to be a bit over the top for the reason I stated in the beginning: Mitsuki is clearly intented to appear as cool to the audience (and it's definitely working), but I don't see any reason to add this.

joined Mar 6, 2021

I'd imagine her to be more the type to avoid participating in pe.

I thought the exact same with this part. as Mitsuki clearly doesn't like people and seems to try and be by herself and not noticed why are they now making her a sporty type person as well. Her persona is just all over the place. Not that I'm complaining as it just makes her hotter but it wasn't needed and kinda out of left field.

Idk i dont get this take, people arent just story tropes, theres plenty of people out there that are not very social but still sporty lol.

I wasn't really saying this because of story tropes, but because of my experience in school. From my own classmates, the more reserved ones, almost always didn't participate much in sports. And for Mitsuki in particular it seems a bit weird to me, since—as far as we know at least—she seems more interested in music, so I can't really imagine her to have been involved with sports outside of school either. Besides, the manga itself has no problem relying tropes and personality "types", so even from that perspective, I find the sporty thing to be a bit of a weird choice on the author's part.

joined Mar 6, 2021

Mitsuki being kinda sporty on top of everything else is an unexpected, somewhat sexy twist, not gonna lie :O The girl is dangerous.

I actually thought it was a bit over the top, to be honest. I mean, you've already created a purposefully cool character (fashion, unintentional flirting, music), there's no need to add more cool points on top of that. Plus, with her staying-in-the-background mentality at school, I'd imagine her to be more the type to avoid participating in pe. Oh well, it's not like it matters all that much.

joined Mar 6, 2021

Did jerkface actually have black nail polish? Or is it just shading?

Nah, nail polish is banned at their school. Mitsuki is established to be having to remove and reapply it every day. Also we see normal colored nails on his hands in later frames

Nail polish isn't banned, Mitsuki just doesn't like to draw attention with the black nails. But yeah, the dude didn't have nail polish.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

It weirds me out that the fitness instructor smokes. I know, I know--even where I live that wasn't unusual a few decades ago. Not a criticism. Just weirds me out.

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. I couldn't stop thinking about it during the whole scene.

I know a few doctors (live near a hospital) who still smoke and vape even now.

I think that's the thing, stress from any job (also life circumstances) can lead people to smoke and have other unhealthy outlets, such as bad eating habits and so fourth. I've heard from family that works in the medical field that there's a good amount of doctors and nurses that aren't healthy for various reasons. Just goes to show that life is often pretty hard for most everyone.

Even though I get what you mean, I wouldn't really be surprised in the same way if it were a doctor/medical professional smoking. I mean, yeah a doctor supposedly knows that it's bad for them and thus they shouldn't do it, but if we're being honest, most people have unhealthy habits, even though they know they're unhealthy. It's because a fitness instructor is actively working to maintain a healthy body that it stands out to me.

It weirds me out [...]

It was the cut away shots that did it, like when they showed both their feet and then the older one was on her tiptoes for a bit. Playing with all kinds of expectations here.

I think you're quoting the wrong comment here...
Also, if I'm guessing right and you're talking about the sisters, I'd say that the scene with the feet likely did imply a kiss, but I don't see why that couldn't be a sisterly kiss (on the cheek perhaps)

last edited at Sep 14, 2022 5:03AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

It weirds me out that the fitness instructor smokes. I know, I know--even where I live that wasn't unusual a few decades ago. Not a criticism. Just weirds me out.

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. I couldn't stop thinking about it during the whole scene.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

This made me laugh out loud XD

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Oh, I forgot, why leave a kid near an acid in any hypothesis, a strong one for making that burn, and how did it not leave a scar?

It did leave a scar, it's been shown before. But yeah, the responsibility would still fall on the teacher, regardless of whether she claimed it was an accident or not. I doubt she would have simply gotten away with that (or at least the mother shouldn't have let her get away with that). This backstory is so over-the-top that it doesn't make me feel anything towards the kids. Not that I had expected their actions to ever become justified through a backstory, but still, it could've been better than this. I just hope it ends and we can go back to the present soon.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Makoto is a complete idiot, isn't she XD

I love how over the top everything is, it was really fun to read.
Thanks for your hard work, Daphie!

joined Mar 6, 2021

The issue here isn't even that Aya did this. It's that there is no commentary from the author. It wouldn't be the first relationship that has had a terrible moment that can be salvaged, but it's treated both in the manga and the LNs as just another event between them. I'm not asking for moralizing from author, but some kind of acknowledgement that that was really fucked up.

The story does aknowledge it, Marika reminds herself that she could just put her foot down, but chooses not to

It's not the kind of addressing the situation you want but it's there

Just as Dum Fck says, that's not really addressing the the issue at all. I'd actually say this is even worse, since it's basically shifting the blame to the victim. It's like saying that rape victims aren't really victims, cause they could've just shoved the offender off.

Two lines irked me the most in this chapter:
First the "When you say it with a face like that, who wouldn't pounce on you?" Maybe a person with the least bit respect of boundaries?
And the second was this exchange afterwards: "Even though I told you no...", "You're still saying that?"
Yes, she is, actually! Even that could've been a moment to just say, hey I may have enjoyed it, but when I say we're not doing it, then we're not doing it. But nope, it's just a cute tsundere being stubborn, it seems.

The bdsm claims sort of remind me of when I read chapter 18 of Bad Thinking Diary, where a number of people in the comments were trying to downplay coercive sex as "rough sex". (I'm still hopeful that the author will actually address the issue there though) Just as people have pointed out above, since there hadn't been any talk about brat play or safewords prior to this, it simply is not bdsm. It's just a person forcing themselves on their partner.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Yay. Another useless chapter about characters we don't care about.

Kuzushiro, will you ever learn?

I like the coworkers!
And tbh, even though I can understand the frustration, I like the vibe of these random slice of life chapters. They're part of what shapes the whole series after all, and I wouldn't prefer them to be omitted.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I feel like a main problem is that neither of them really understands the other. Kashiwai obviously hasn't really thought about what kind of relationship she's getting into and whether that is what she truly wants. Of course, I can't blame Tsuzuki for sticking to her rules, since it wouldn't be fair to her partners if she put Kashiwai above her already established relationships, but at the same time I feel like she's not really offering enough support, maybe? (I can't really express this exactly, but I feel like she's been acting kind of casual about it all—and for her perhaps it is—but I'm not sure if that kind of attitude is helpful to Kashiwai).

Even so, I have to admit that Tsuzuki has handled many things quite well, and most of the time she tried to give Kashiwai the time she needed to figure things out (even though the latter didn't really put much effort into that lol).

On an unrelated note, I kind of dislike Fukunaga, simply because of his face. I know it's silly, but he just looks like an old man (or an alcoholic?) and I can't help disliking him a little bit XD

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/brides_of_iberis_ch08#11
Why does that dude on the bus with the backpack on the front look so sus?

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

On reflection, the line in this chapter that stood out to me the most is Yuuna saying:

"Kiku is...the person I trust the most."

It's one thing to say this about a best friend, it's another to say this about your ex when you're currently engaged to be married. It makes me more curious to know what exactly caused their breakup.

I feel like kiku already told yuuna about her feelings toward her sister and thats probably also the reason why they broke up.

Yuuna, knowing that kiku loves sena, prolly the reason why she trust her the most. She know very well that kiku will take care of sena no matter what.

Just assuming

I don't think Kiku knew she was in love with Sena when Yuuna and her were still dating. Going back to chapter 3.1, there's a scene from before the break-up where she meets Sena at the park, and her wish is to "make a place where that girl could be at ease too", presumably because she thought that Sena felt uncomfortable being with her sister's lover. It was only when she meets Sena again after the break-up, at the request of her sister, that she realises that she had already fallen in love with her back then.

So, the reason for the break-up must be something else. I thought before that it could simply be that they realised they didn't work out as a couple and were better off as friends, but Yuuna's words in the latest chapter seem to hint that there is more to that story...

last edited at Aug 26, 2022 9:58AM

RadiosAreObsolete
Reliance discussion 24 Aug 21:16
joined Mar 6, 2021

Seeing if she realizes what her feelings for Shiki actually are.

What do you mean?
Ever since they were in first year she's wanted to be her friend. I thought that was obvious.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

These two pages were cool. I really liked how the author conveyed the passage of time and her one-sided rambling with the use of the scenery and the clustered speech bubbles.

I quite enjoy these "tragic background" chapters of Shiho that absolutely do not justify her actions and basically show how petty and egocentric she's always been. Now, if the author's intent was to make her appear sympathetic to the audience... Well.

The twist(?) about what's-her-name dating Kyou was quite unexpected, now I'm curious to see whether there is really something going on between the senpais (as I thought before) or not.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Or I can just study as much as everyone else, but have four days out of five for video games.

Another user already pointed out that you'd need to do the same homework 5 times in a row, which would be incredibly tedious, but wouldn't video games also become incredibly boring themselves? You'd have to replay the same thing over and over again and all your progress would constantly be lost.

RadiosAreObsolete
Make a Mark discussion 23 Aug 03:56
joined Mar 6, 2021

The second part kinda ruined it for me. I thought/hoped that this would be one of the rare stories where people actually move on with their lives and find happiness elsewhere, but nope, it's just another "they're stuck together now" ending. I feel like these toxic relationship endings are simply not as interesting or original as authors seem to think? And this particular story had also used the classic bi player trope—which I really wish would die already—so overall... somewhat disappointing to me.

joined Mar 6, 2021

It's the future, where robots are common, I'd be pissed if same sex marriage isn't legal world-wide at that point.

Well, robots being "common" would probably be true only for part of the globe, so...

RadiosAreObsolete
Watersports discussion 16 Aug 09:13
joined Mar 6, 2021

I've always thought that it would taste sour and no, I won't test it either

joined Mar 6, 2021

I can't say I liked how the whole "surprise, she works here now!" was handled. Why would they let the president feel so heartbroken for no reason?